• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can you make all your gold mainly with BOD's??

• Thread starter Sethblackmoore
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sethblackmoore

So just got back into BODs and only have one smith and he is legendary. Can you make your money back spent on resources doing BOD's or do you have to be completely self sufficient and gather all my own resources too? I read somewhere or heard some guy say he made all his money solely on BOD's. Was wondering how far I can get with not gathering my own resources.

And what smith BOD's should I not take? Or vice/versa, which ones should I always take? Thx in advance!!

G

Well your going to need to get some of your own,

no npc vendor sells exceptional items, plus your gonna need colored ingots. prices have gone up considerably in the last month or so.

I guess you could make all your gold with just bods, but most of that would be plowed back into buying raw materials. This is not counting of course if you get and turn in a large for agapite,verite,valorite hammers then you could sell them off and make some very good gold.

E

eolsunder1

You can make all your money on bods, but it takes some experimenting.

1) Your going to have to fill the bods with something. Mostly iron ingots. Your going to need LOTS of iron ingots. The colored ingots you can either mine or buy as you need them.

Not all bods are worthwhile. Not all will need ingots. Bods that give blacksmith PS as rewards really aren't worth it since most people simply buy the +20 PS and ignore the others. Thus as a bod filler I would never fill a bod that gave a +5 smithing PS, or a +10.

So, needing iron ingots, you can do 1 of 2 things. Buy them or mine them. Mining takes up bod filling time, but its worth while due to getting ingots yourself. Plus extra ingots you can sell off. Mining isn't hard, but it is boring.

But yes you can do bods and just buy everything. Thats the simpler way, but maybe not the most cost effective. For instance. This weeked I did some bods. I was bored and haven't done them for a year or so. I did them for about 2-3 days. I bought alot of weapons bods from vendors also for about 1k each, to fill and refresh the npcs.

Out of all the work. I received a copper runic, a bronze runic, and a gold runic hammer. On the open market, i might get 2.5 mil for all 3. give or take. Thats good coin. Spend 1 mil and buy 50k iron ingots and your set to fill tons more bods. That leaves you with 1.5 mil or so to buy weapons bods from others, maybe a bod you need here or there.

So yes its possible just have to remember what your getting yourself into. When bods first came out I was a bod FANATIC! The didn't have bod books back then, so I had a whole Tower dedicated to bods. I had spreadsheets listing exactly which bods I had (there are alot! 700 or so?). And I made plenty of money, had vendors with plenty of scrolls/runics/etc on them. I traded with well established bod hunters like myself, and I could check my spreadsheet for exactly what I needed and would PM/email the other traders with my requirements. Trading between other people is a must faster way to make stuff than simply doing it yourself. When you need a small spined leggings bod and you have 10 small spined glove bods, it gets a tad fustrating trying to fill that last one.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've played this game for six years on my own account and almost two years before that on a friend's account.

I started doing BODs sometime just about one year after they came out. I initially trained eight GM blacksmith and tailors. Then I continued training one of them to Legendary.

Over the years I've sold enough runic sewing kits and hammers and other BOD rewards to have made easily in the range of 400-500 million gold. Just a rough guestimate. I remember when barbed kits were 12 mil and horned kits sold or 1.2 mil. Polar bear rugs used to sell for 800k - 2 mil.

You're going to definitely make more gold selling the rewards that are in high demand then by the payment the NPC gives you when turning in the BOD.

Today I have 14 characters that are GM or higher. All of them are currently being trained to Elder and then eventually go Legendary since they recently gave those two skill levels an additional chance to get exceptional and hued BODs.

Good luck and happy crafting.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Not all bods are worthwhile. Not all will need ingots. Bods that give blacksmith PS as rewards really aren't worth it since most people simply buy the +20 PS and ignore the others. Thus as a bod filler I would never fill a bod that gave a +5 smithing PS, or a +10.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

Those are the rare BODs that give the colored anvils 10% of the time (they only spawn as certain 15 count BODs). Those still sell for decent gold, because they are so rare.

I fill every one I get, and still have only gotten 3 anvils in 5 years.

I wouldn't make them a priority, when other BODs could be filled for more immediately useful rewards, but I wouldn't just NOT fill them at all!

N

Natalie Black

I fill every bod, though I do toss large iron bods and turn the small bods in instead. This way I get more chances at getting better bods.

As for making money at it? I think I have broke even through the years mostly until the recent runic changes. I saved every hammer I have ever gotten gambling that they would change them. Paid off and now I have a ton of gold.

I always buy my ingots for the most part. I dont have time to spend mining really. Lost money at first, but I have made it back.

M

mysticvermin

If you do any hunting at all with another character just save any smeltable weapons or armor. In a good hunting session I can get several thousand iron ingots worth. With the new salvage bags the process has gotten even easier. I only mine for colored ore. Compared to smelting items mining for regular iron is tedious at best.

G

You guys fill the normal iron weapons with vendor bought weapons?

I have never done this.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do it when I'm not training smiths up (saves ingots, especially with the NPC vendor changes making it to where no one ever sells ingots to them now, and the prices are skyrocketing).

You can fill the shields easily enough, as well as all the weapons and armor (though you have to go to a weaponsmith, like in Moonglow or Jhelom, for war forks).

But, right now, I'm using 4 of my BOD runners that I am training up to 120 (my runs for BODs are few, so I want Quality over quantity) to fill my iron smalls. costs more, but I get skill gains return. One can gain on things as low as ring tunics and up, the next can gain on scimitars and up, the third chain tunics and up, and the fourth currently gets dibs on all plate BODs (including ones filled for colored larges - used him to fill ASH +30 &amp; ASH +60 reward LBODs in the last month). Plus, when I'm done, I'll have GM arms lore on all 3 accounts (needed to get it to soulstone to other crafters on the other accounts, more than the runners - need it for my tinker/carpenter and my Bowyer)

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

Those are the rare BODs that give the colored anvils 10% of the time (they only spawn as certain 15 count BODs). Those still sell for decent gold, because they are so rare.

I fill every one I get, and still have only gotten 3 anvils in 5 years.

I wouldn't make them a priority, when other BODs could be filled for more immediately useful rewards, but I wouldn't just NOT fill them at all!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure they also give POF and POF sells for over 100k a bottle. Thats a pretty easy way to make gold from BODS really. If it has even a slight chance to give a POF you really should be filling it, and I am pretty sure that all the bods that give +5, +10, or +15 scrolls (which admitedly are junk) also have a chance to give POF.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[I'm pretty sure they also give POF and POF sells for over 100k a bottle. Thats a pretty easy way to make gold from BODS really. If it has even a slight chance to give a POF you really should be filling it, and I am pretty sure that all the bods that give +5, +10, or +15 scrolls (which admitedly are junk) also have a chance to give POF.

[/ QUOTE ]Nope. None of the Scroll Bods have any chance at PoF's. The PoF BODs have either a 90% chance for Pof's + a 10% chance at +5 gloves, or they have a 20% chance at PoF's + 40% chances at a Gargoyle's Pickaxe or Prospectors Tool. Also, the price of PoF's has fallen by quite a bit since the February Publish. On Napa and Pacific, I'm having a hard time selling them for 60K in Luna.

As for the OP's question - Yes. You can make a very good living doing BODs, but it takes alot of time and dedication. It also takes alot of resources, so you'll need a miner for ingots and a hunter for Leather. I make about 30 million a month doing BODs. Most of the gold comes from selling Runic Hammers and items made from Barbed Kits (the items are worth more than the kits right now).