• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Can someone, please, help me understand this crafting post ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am trying to learn through the ways of crafting in Ultima Online but, with so many variables and changes over time, it ain't easy...

Anyways, reading here and there on crafting, I found this old Post from 2012 here.... Reforging Work

I have read it over and over several times but have been unable to understand it.

Can anyone please help me out to understand what it suggests to do, please ?

"Horned Kit with Fortune package, No PowerReforging. Then you basically have 2 options:"

What I "seem" to understand there, is that, when Reforging for "Luck", ONLY and STRICTLY the Horned Sewing Kit must be used, not the Barbed Sewing Kit, neither the Spined Sewing Kit. And the Power Reforging option, should NOT be used.

And there is 2 ways to get it done....

"- Either you select the Wizardry package. But due to the way the system is designed you will roll only 150 Luck with either MR3 or CastingFocus2, nothing else I believe (beside parts with less than 150 Luck of course). You can use this solution for one part, this is what I did on the Tunic. It leaves 2 slots and a weight of 100 to imbue, so 15 resists. Obviously you need to start with bases with 0 except points in at least one slot if you don't want to waste free except resist points by overimbuing them."

Select the "Grand Artifice" and then "Inspired Artifice" and then "Choose Name" as "Arcane / of Wizardy"

I thought that, in order to reforge for Luck, the "Auspicious / of Fortune" name had to be selected so, I do not understand why Arcane / of Wizardry is mentioned which, on armor, adds "Casting Focus, Lower Reagent Cost". Not sure if them all, or at random, it picks "some" of these....

Not to mention that, at the page.... Runic Reforging – Ultima Online , Mana Regen is not even mentioned among the Arcane/of Wizardry mods for Armor ! It does is mentioned, though, in the column "All Types" so, I do not understand....

What does it mean where it says that "the system is designed you will roll only 150 Luck with either MR3 or CastingFocus2, nothing else I believe" ?

If I select Arcane / of Wizardry and not Auspicious / of Fortune, how can I ever get the 150 Luck to roll ??

Then is says "You can use this solution for one part, this is what I did on the Tunic. It leaves 2 slots and a weight of 100 to imbue, so 15 resists. Obviously you need to start with bases with 0 except points in at least one slot if you don't want to waste free except resist points by overimbuing them."

And I do not understand a single word here....

Why doing that Arcade / of Wizardry for 1 piece would then leave "2 slots and a weight of 100 to imbue, so 15 resists" ?

And what does it means, to start with "bases" (what bases ? The regular piece that one makes with plain leather or iron armour and no runic tool ?) with "0 except points in at least one slot" if one does not want to "waste free except resist points by overimbuing them" ?

What is this "0 except points" ? And I see crafters all the time talking about overimbuing items of resists to compensate, for example for the debuff that happens to Physical Resist when casting the Protection Spell....

So, why does instead he talks about "wasting" "free" except resist points by "overimbuing" them ?

Then, let's see the second option....

"- Either you select the Defense package. This is what I did on all the other pieces but the Tunic, but this is extremely tricky:
Basically choosing the Defense package will roll Luck150 + ONE resist at +15 in about half the cases (in the other half it will roll 2 resists and under 150 Luck, you can of course trash those parts).
"

From Runic Reforging – Ultima Online I assume that the Defense package is Fortified / of Defense which, I read there in the table, adds "Eater" to Armor.... that's it. On "All Types" it does mention Resists but, at this point, am not sure what this "All types" stands for....

Perhaps that an armor piece, for example the Tunic, gets Resists from "All types" + "Eater" being an Armor piece ?

Anyways, I see no mention whatsoever from getting the 150 Luck from choosing Fortified / of Defense...

Then he says "Basically choosing the Defense package will roll Luck150 + ONE resist at +15 in about half the cases (in the other half it will roll 2 resists and under 150 Luck, you can of course trash those parts)."

Why choosing Fortified / of Defense would roll Luck 150 + 1 Resist at 15+ points in "half the cases" while in the other "half the cases" it will Roll BELOW 150 luck + 2 Resists (with how many points those 2 resists ? Both 15+ ?).

Is this just a thing of the RNG ?

And then comes the toughest part, which I could understand nothing of....

"The catch is if the 15 points of resist from the package fall on a slot which already has free except resist points, the weight of those free resists will be accounted for so you won't be able to do an optimal piece."

Now, I assume that he is talking about that "half the cases" where, using the Fortified / of Defense chosen name will roll 150 Luck + 1 Resist at 15+ points...

He says that "the catch is" that if those 15 points of resist "fall on a slot which already has free except resist points" ...... what is this supposed to mean ?

For slot, I assume he means like a head piece or a chest piece or arms piece and so forth. But, again, what does he mean with the words "a slot which already has free except resist points" ??

And why "fall" ? Am I not selecting the piece that I am making and chosing what piece to keep and further enhance ?

Then he adds... "the weight of those free resists will be accounted for so you won't be able to do an optimal piece." ......... What does this mean ?

I will not be able to do an optimal piece because I decided to enhance and imbue a piece that came with 150 Luck + 1 Resist with 15+ points for a body part which had "free except resist points" ??

I am lost..... I really do not understand what that means....

Then, I think he starts explaining what to do to avoid those mistakes and, thus, be able to craft such an optimal piece....

"The trick is thus to start with a base piece with 2 slots without any except points from the draw. This is about 0.1% of pieces crafted if I remember, so you will burn a lot of leather to get those working bases. So when you reforge you have 1 chance out of 2 to get the 150 Luck+1 resist distribution, and if this is the case then 2 chances out of 5 that the resist will fall on one of the 2 right slots (the ones with no except points), so this gives you a total of 1 chance out of 5 to succeed the reforging."

Now, what would this piece LOOK LIKE that was a "base piece" with "2 slots without any except points from the draw" ?

He also adds, that such a piece comes with 0.1% of all those crafted which, I understand, means 1 in 1,000 !!

What would the 5 resists need to look like for such a 1 in 1,000 piece ?

And is this 1 in a 1,000 piece needed for only 1 piece of the ENTIRE suit or is this process necessary to be repeated for ALL parts making up a suit ?

Because, if so, with a suit being comprised of many different pieces that will be a whole lot of x 1,000 pieces to have to craft....

Then he says, if one has been wise to only pick that 1 in a 1,000 crafted pieces with 2 slots without any except points from the draw (whatever this means...), at this point "So when you reforge you have 1 chance out of 2 to get the 150 Luck+1 resist distribution" which I assume means that this 1 in 1,000 crafted piece with the wanted resists (with 2 slots without any except points from the draw) will not even be good enough !!

Because, only in 1 chance out of 2 it will be possible to get that 150 Luck + 1 Resist distribution...

Which, I seem to understand, means that if one gets instead the BELOW 150 Luck + 2 Resists roll, he/she has to redo all that 1 in 1,000 crafting all over to get that 1 "right" piece with the 2 slots without any except points from the draw (whatever this means....).

And this, OVER and OVER until one gets that wanted reforged piece with 150 luck + 1 Resist +15 points...

Is that so ?

He then adds "....and if this is the case then 2 chances out of 5 that the resist will fall on one of the 2 right slots (the ones with no except points), so this gives you a total of 1 chance out of 5 to succeed the reforging."

Does that mean that EVEN IF one gets the 1 in a 1,000 crafted piece (with the 2 slots without any except points from the draw, whatever this means) to get reforged into the wanted 150 Luck + 1 Resist +15 points, this could fall, for 2 chances out of 5 (I assume that we are talking here of the 5 resist types ?), on "one" of the 2 "right" slots which he identifies as those "with no except points", this would end up with ONLY 1 chance out of 5 to succeed with the reforging ?

I am VERY lost here..... I frankly do not understand it. Can anyone PLEASE explain it to me in simpler terms?

He then proceeds telling how to identify the actual, wanted piece by saying "If successful, the piece will have 3 free slots and 250 weight to imbue: You will imbue the remaining "empty" resist slot and 2 other slots (usually LRC and LMC, but you can choose what you want). In the end you will have for example 5 slots with the following: 150 Luck, LRC, LMC, Resist1, Resist2. Note that the balance between Resist1 and Resist2 can be adjusted without loosing anything: you don't need to leave all 15 points from the Defense package on the slot they initially felt in, you can overimbue Resist1 and raise Resist2. This is very important because the ability to freely balance resists by pair on each part will allow you to build a suit without wasting any point."

What I seem to understand is that, if I FINALLY was able to get that "right" piece, the look of this piece will be one with 3 "free" slots and 250 weight to imbue.

What does it mean to have 3 "free" slots ? He is talking about 3 resists untouched by the reforging ?

Why 3 ? I mean, didn't he say that the Reforging was to add 150 Luck plus in ONE Resist the 15+ points ?

If so, that would leave FOUR untouched Resists, not 3.....

He also says "You will imbue the remaining "empty" resist slot and 2 other slots (usually LRC and LMC, but you can choose what you want)."

Why "resist slot" as "singular" when he just mentioned the sentence before that about having THREE "free" slots (shouldn't they be 4 as I just asked ?) to imbue ?

But, as he follows saying "In the end you will have for example 5 slots with the following: 150 Luck, LRC, LMC, Resist1, Resist2. " perhaps he is NOT talking about getting worked up all of the 5 resists but only 2 of them ?

If so, why the goal would be to have a piece that has only 2 Resists increased, and 3 modifiers (luck, LRC and LMC) and not all of the 5 resists ? What about the OTHER 3 resists ? Why leave them "untouched" ?

He then adds "Note that the balance between Resist1 and Resist2 can be adjusted without loosing anything: you don't need to leave all 15 points from the Defense package on the slot they initially felt in, you can overimbue Resist1 and raise Resist2. This is very important because the ability to freely balance resists by pair on each part will allow you to build a suit without wasting any point."

I am not sure to follow.... "overimbue Resist 1" (HOW ?? Is it possible to "OVER-imbue a resist ?) and ALSO "raise" Resist 2 (again HOW ??) ?.

He also mentions that "This is very important because the ability to freely balance resists by pair on each part will allow you to build a suit without wasting any point."

I can understand the importance of that Post as it explains how to best craft a piece of armor, but I do not understand the logic of it, nor "how" to do it correctly ......

He then proceeds to say "In the end, use of course a Forged Metal Tool to enhance in Spined.
Each part will have 20 free resists from except crafting (none have been lost) + 5 free resists from Spined Leather + 40 free Luck from spined Leather + 500 normal imbuing weight, for a total of 133 + 33 + 40 + 500 = 706.
"

I understand the part where one would enhance with Spined to get the additional +40 Luck points to have a total of 190 Luck on that piece, what I do not understand, is the part where he says "Each part will have 20 free resists from except crafting (none have been lost) + 5 free resists from Spined Leather + 40 free Luck from spined Leather + 500 normal imbuing weight, for a total of 133 + 33 + 40 + 500 = 706."

Why would that be ?

Why would "each part" have 20 "free resists" from "except crafting" so that none would have gotten lost and, on top of that, also get 5 "free resists" from Spined Leather + another "40 free Luck" from the use of Spined Leather + 500 normal imbuing weight so that such a piece would get a weight of 706 ???

Can someone PLEASE explain this to me ?

He then says "Finally, do the circlet last, it is the easiest part since you don't have to use any trick: you can get a plain 150 Luck with a copper hammer. You even get 1 more resist point because golden ingots adds 6 while spined leather adds 5. It also adds LowerReq30 even if you likely don't care :) But you can also still choose the ugly (and hardest to do) leather cap if you want of course."

What is this thing with the "Circlet" and about the "Leather Cap" being "hardest to do" ?

And why for doing this one piece it would not be necessary to use any trick ??

If one is doing all of this for "medable" armor, why would he/she want to use a metal circlet that would not be medable ? At that point they would need to imbue it as Mage Armor to make it medable....

On this, @Basara , here Reforging Work , clearly indicates : "You REALLY don't want to wear a leather cap or ninja hood."

Why is it SO MUCH important not to have for the head piece a leather cap or ninja hood ?

I do not understand it.

He then concludes by adding "Now, even if you do all this correctly, you will likely still need to craft a couple of extra parts, because having bases with 2 slots without free points is not enough, they have to be different on each part: if you use, say 4 parts with the "free" resist slots all beeing Cold and Poison, there is no way you will be able to get matching parts. I ended up crafting 8 perfect parts for the suit, so I have 3 extra ones (for a backup suit one day, who knows)"

Why having "bases with 2 slots" and "without free points" (how does a base without "free" points look like ? what does this exactly mean ?) would not be "enough" ?

I think he says "because they have to be different on each part"..... but in what sense is meant "different on each part" ??

He mentions about using 4 parts with the "free" resist slots (free in what sense ??) being all for Cold and Poison and this leading "in no way" to being possible to get "matching parts".... why would that be ?

He had to craft 8 "perfect parts" for the suit thus leaving 3 extra ones....

Since 8 - 3 = 5, this would mean a suit made out by 5 pieces....

Ain't a suit made out by 7 pieces (Armor - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia) ? That is, Head, Neck, Chest, Legs, Arms, Hands and the Shield for the left hand ?

So why is he talking about a 5 pieces suit ?

He then concludes the Post by discussing about the alternative of making suit by "blind" burning Barbed Sewing Kits which I neither understand very well but that is another thing....

Since I am trying to make a fully optimized Luck Suit, I would like to use the great advice contained in this Post yet, since I cannot understand it, I cannot proceed on to work for making such a suit....

Can anyone please be so kind to explain it to me in simplier terms, perhaps with a walkthrough on what I should do step by step so that I can get any and all pieces really optimized as this Stratics users explained back in that 2012 Post ?

Thank you very much and Happy Easter Holiday to all !!

Last edited:

Innoxicated

Journeyman
I'll be honest waaay TL;DR, but I think I found your misunderstanding very early on. You can [edit:reforge] for luck with just the auspicious/of fortune selected. What you missed was in that post he was attempting to get 150 luck *and* over-capped MR. Which is why he selected the wizardry//sorcery.

Best bet for overcap luck is horned runic, non-powerful, auspicious/of fortune, and that's IT.

it seems like you really prefer complete step-by-step walkthroughs, but if you decide you'd like to delve into a little research I highly recommend you check these out: Semmerset's Re-Forging Charts - Old Stratics

You will notice 150 luck is not listed in the charts for spined, which would mean you should use a horned runic. You will notice, however, 150 luck does appear on the smithing charts, under copper+powerful. This can be a good alternative. There are not many desirable overcapped properties you can't easily reforge on lesser runics, but 150 luck is one of the few.

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be honest waaay TL;DR, but I think I found your misunderstanding very early on. You can receive for luck with just the auspicious/of fortune selected. What you missed was in that post he was attempting to get 150 luck *and* over-capped MR. Which is why he selected the wizardry//sorcery.

Best bet for overcap luck is horned runic, non-powerful, auspicious/of fortune, and that's IT.

it seems like you really prefer complete step-by-step walkthroughs, but if you decide you'd like to delve into a little research I highly recommend you check these out: Semmerset's Re-Forging Charts - Old Stratics

You will notice 150 luck is not listed in the charts for spined, which would mean you should use a horned runic. You will notice, however, 150 luck does appear on the smithing charts, under copper+powerful. This can be a good alternative. There are not many desirable overcapped properties you can't easily reforge on lesser runics, but 150 luck is one of the few.
Thanks, but I would REALLY like to understand what Wizal the Fox was saying in that 2012 Post since it looks very interesting to squeeze every single point out of a piece...

If anyone could be so kind to explain what he meant in that 2012 Post in simplier words, it would be great and, hopefully, other interested new crafters might benefit from such explaination !

Innoxicated

Journeyman
You must understand that 2012 post was made when we were just beginning to reign in the mysterious beast known as reforging. I'm not gonna break down his entire post, and I doubt you'll have much luck with anyone else finding time to do that either.

If you don't understand the resists slots part of reforging/imbuing a suit, I suggest practicing before spending the money needed to make a 'fully optimized suit.' or if you have a lot of money, pay someone to craft it for you. Basically you want a base piece, pre-reforge/imbue, that rolls all of its extra resist points in one or two elements.

You want one piece of your suit to align for each element, so you have maximum coverage for resists before having to imbue the rest. You see a 17/17/6/4/4 or whatever is better than a 10/10/10/10/10, because you have those 2 resists high enough to not need imbuing, and the resists you do imbue won't have as much weight wasted.

Clear as mud, right? But honestly I've seen many people post answers to your questions, only to have you ask for more baby-stepping. Most players dont have time to record youtube step-by-step walkthroughs, and most other crafters who might benefit from such have already or will figure things out with their own research.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Which is one of the reasons I've been BEGGING for a reforging FAQ from someone that KNOWS THE SKILL for 7+ years, with no takers.

I barely know anything about it.

The leather cap/ninja hood bit is a COSMETIC issue. They are pretty much reviled universally, because you can't SEE THE CHARACTER'S HAIR STYLE. If you end up making a piece of one of those with great stats, just not exactly what you need, it will sit for YEARS on a vendor, even discounted, when people buy stuff that allows hair to be seen with weaker stats and priced higher.

And, others have already answered the bit about the Resists. Simply, you want to get the resists complementary from piece to piece (to add up to 70s), and not have to imbue any (or, if you have to imbue, you want to start with a piece that has 0-2 resists over MINIMUM which is hard to get when starting with an exceptionally crafted item)