• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can someone please clarify about Throwing?

A

Anderuin

I was wondering if Swordsmanship & Parry still play a roll in throwing? I have researched some guides. Some of them make mention of it, while others do not. I am working on a template right now and was curious if these were necessary to make a decent thrower. Thanks!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Throwing is a ranged weapon, so you don't necessarily need parry. Your damage output is affected by your distance from the target: in other words, there's a "sweet spot" between too close and too far.

If you also have the swordsmanship skill, then your throwing weapon will make a check against your swordsmanship skill at close range (as opposed to your throwing skill).

Holding a shield craps up your hit chance. If you want to take advantage of parry, you should also include bushido on your template. Parrying + bushido allows you to parry without holding a shield.

A

Anderuin

Well I was planning on making a provo/thrower. So if I did that I would not neccesarily need swordsmanship? I didn't think I would, but its just kind of confusing, seeing how alot of other skills augment off others... Thanks

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Throwing = gargoyle archery, but one-handed and lower chance to hit. If you want to build a provo throwing, just use any provo/archer template and substitute throwing for archery.

L

Lost-Soul

Parry does not work on a thrower, just as it does not work on an archer. Also it seems that throwing is still bugged where you automatically miss on your first throw no matter what.