• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can anyone help with Kingdom Reborn and DSL connection ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To improve my Kingdom Reborn playability, I am considering upgrading from dial-up to DSL.

Being available ADSL 2+ (plus) service in my area which allows up to 24 Megabits/sec in download and up to 3 Megabits/sec in upload, I wonder what Brand/Model DSL Modem would be my best choice (as far as most reliable and fast hardware).

I am also thinking about setting up a wireless WI-FI at home but I am unsure whether going wireless means loss in performance/security over wired. If the are the same or much similar, what routers would be most advisable as far as speed, reliability and security for a WI-FI set up ?

Furthermore, are there routers out there what are also DSL 2+ Modems ? For wireless all is needed is a router and Modem ? Nothing else ? By the way, are there routers and ADSL 2+ Modems on the market which can go both with wired AND wireless WI-FI connections ? This way I would try either one with the same hardware and see which I prefer.

Thanks a lot for helping ! I look forward to playing Kingdom Reborn more smoothly.

G

Personally ive found Westell Modems to be reliable and fast.I would try that ive had my modem for like 7 years no problms so far.Do your self a favor stay wired if possiable as far as networks go its way more secure and the most dependable VS. price i have always found to be D-Link hubs or routers.You can get wireless routers with wired ports but i wouls suggest staying with wired ones as buying the wireless network card along with the other stuff can begin to get pricey with all that combined.

Y

Yewish News

<blockquote><hr>

By the way, are there routers and ADSL 2+ Modems on the market which can go both with wired AND wireless WI-FI connections ? This way I would try either one with the same hardware and see which I prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most wireless routers come with cable connections too. I personally recommend Netgear Routers as they are very easy to setup and I haven't experienced any issues with the ones I used.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This post will probably end up being moved to the UO.Tech forum. It really has nothing to do with UO.

I have to ask - why would you think UO players would be able to help you choose a DSL modem better than...I don't know...your ISP provider? You'll probably get a free one that is just as good as any other when you sign up for DSL.

Even Googling dsl modems will get you better advice than you'll get here. Something like epinions would probably end up being more helpful.

As for Wireless vs Wired. WiFi is going to be faster than your current DSL speed, so it won't make any difference as far as performance goes. It's not quite as reliable as a wired connection, but it's not bad. I stopped using wireless for online games because I have been dropped at the least opportune times (rarely, but it happens).