• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bushido] Bushido! PHOOEY!

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Grace finishes checking her vendors at the Chaos Club, then grabbing her Deamon Slayer and Chaos Shield she heads over to her neighbors house to steal some enchanted apples and bandies.

"Heh heh, the old fart has such cheap locks on his chests! It's like takin candy from a baby!"

As Grace enters Lord Raven's home, a figure emerges from the shadows. Grace slips her daggar out and quickly takes on a fighting stance.

"Wait Grace! It's me, Daichi! I was just wanted to say hi!" Daichi holds his hands up indicating surrender and takes a step back from the wary pirate.

"You and them sneaky Ninja tricks will get ya killed one day lad!" Grace brushes by Daichi and heads upstairs to the storage chests.

"Going hunting Grace?" Daichi rushes to catch up.

"Aye lad, now quit buggin me!" Grace begins to pick the lock on a chest labeled 'enchanted apples'.

"Grace, I noticed you've taken up Bushido... but you're still carrying a shield. You do know that you shouldn't equip a shield... er... don't you?" Realizing that Grace often responds poorly to critism, he immediately regrets making his opinion known.

"THAT TEARS IT!" Grace tosses the book of Bushido into the nearby hearth. "I'm tired of all these fancy skills and their fancy rules! I'm going back to the old ways of fighting! Come on lad... show me how to use the soulstones on the roof."

Daichi follows Grace to the roof and finds a soulstone she can use to drain her mind of the unwanted skill. After the procedure is finished Grace heads back to the first floor Armory and picks the lock on the iron gate.

"Uh, Grace... don't you think you should ask Lord Raven before taking things from his armory?"

Grace doesn't look up as she jiggles a lockpick in a chest labeled 'powerscrolls'. "Look lad, if the old fart doesn't want me takin his stuff he either needs to invest in better locks or come down outta that lab of his and MAKE me stop! As far as I'm concerned, these cheap locks indicate his tacit approval for me to take what I want. Do you know what tacit means lad?"

Daichi steps aside as Grace grabs a 120 Focus scroll... "Well..."

Without waiting for an answer, Grace replies: "It means shut up and get outta my way!"

Hiding a grin, Daichi watches as Grace is enveloped by the blue aura as the powerscroll is infused into her body and mind. Grace summons her evil Ki-Rin and rides off to Deamon Alley.

After slaying many Deamons including several Paragons, Grace returns to the Chaos Club and tells Vlad the story while sipping eggnog. Vlad stirs the pot in silence, knowing that to interrupt Grace could end up with his ears being seperated from his head.

"I say phooey to all these fancy skills Vlad. PHOOEY! It's like when you make your green tea... you don't add a lotta fancy stuff, you keep it simple and brew it till it's perfect! Which reminds me, time to ditch that eggnog and get back to makin' tea again lad. Oh, and double up on the next liquor order, the new year is coming! Yarrr!"

Vlad nods his head and continues to stir the eggnog slowly.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha, funny captions BUT...bushido is not that difficult to gain in lol. Can easily due up to GM in little time and elder only with a little more effort. 110 to 120 is a tad bit slower but...not taxing.

Y

Yukio

Thanks for the short story, I enjoyed it! :)

I don't think it was really about gaining skill, just good ol' fashion fighting with a sword (or dagger in this case) and board.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha, funny captions BUT...bushido is not that difficult to gain in lol. Can easily due up to GM in little time and elder only with a little more effort. 110 to 120 is a tad bit slower but...not taxing.

Sir, are you familiar with the story of Robin Hood? His legendary ability to place an arrow into an apple atop the head of some suicidal volunteer?

Well then... using that... let me say that if you were Robin Hood... you just missed the apple by a wide, and unfortunate margin.

Of course if your name were "Jane", I could have explained this in an entirely different and certainly more entertaining manner.

But... the bottom line is this... Pirates don't like rules. You don't tell a Pirate how, when or even why to fight. Therefore... (Lady) Grace O'Malley does not like Bushido as it attempts to dictate requirements to her. Perhaps the mindless Samaurai, who live only to follow orders and die for their masters...

Well, maybe they enjoy this type of disciplined skill, but Pirates... NO!

*pulls arrow from thigh*

Safe Travels, Sam

(Of course, this story could have just been another shameless attempt for Grace to plug her new vendor house: Chaos Club. But, that would be "Pirate Marketing" Yarrrrr!)

C

Connor_Graham

But... the bottom line is this... Pirates don't like rules. You don't tell a Pirate how, when or even why to fight.
Eh, I see Bushido as having more freedom than the standard warrior template because you're not limited to 1 handed weapons only. Any weapon is viable for the template, and there's not much difference in parry chance between the 1 handers and 2's. This allows you to also be able to have all of the benefits of Parry AND be able to drink pots at the same time, making the warrior all that much more powerful than one that is chained to a shield.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since we are discussing history and being history buffs, Pirates actually do care for organization and rules...at least in getting what they want, otherwise no ships would be taken in the gulf and a certain famous pirate during the early 18th century would not have been effective.

In fact he did not have no shield at all. Albeit not a Samurai 侍, he dual wielded pistols and had a saber. Piracy in itself is quite organized as it should be more difficult to take over a vessel than to defend. Much similar to combat tactics in taking over a hill. The ones who are defending the hill should have the easier time defending, don't you think?

While I myself like shields, there is much more freedom to using any weapon you want...which is similar to the pirate I discussed since he even used knives and other various swords. Which in my opinion, is way more fun than shooting apples off of peoples heads. :D

S

sean_lo

yeah.. pirates are actually the only true democratic back then in those days.

The leader was voted in by the crew, and they followed all the rules set forth by the leader.

So in this case, grace would probably qualify as the leader of the pirates. ;p

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe you're confusing Robin Hood with William Tell
I believe you're confusing Wikipedia with Mel Brooks! In the movie "Robin Hood, Men in Tights"... well, something like that happens but I'm a bit cloudy on the details. William Tell, wrote the William Tell Overture... so he obviously was a composer by trade and not an archer.

I rest my case. :scholar:

P.S. Wikipedia... Wicca... Look it up lad... Wikkipedia is obviously an encyclopedie written by Witches and is intended to disseminate mis-information! Clear you mind of the influences of Witchcraft!

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah.. pirates are actually the only true democratic back then in those days.

The leader was voted in by the crew, and they followed all the rules set forth by the leader.

So in this case, grace would probably qualify as the leader of the pirates. ;p

Funny you mention that... but Grace was a very kind and fair Captain and would hold regular elections to confirm her position as leader. Of course, the crew would be a bit smaller after every election but it's dangerous at sea... accident's happen ya know.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh, I see Bushido as having more freedom than the standard warrior template because you're not limited to 1 handed weapons only...

Ah, but is it "freedom" when you are penalized for making your own choices? Lady Grace can use one or two handed weapons now... she receives no penalty. If her ship is being boarded, she can toss her shield aside and grab a spear! When she is moving across a deck in close combat, she can use a daggar and carry the shield for additional protection!

However, when you apply Bushido... you are penalized for using a shield, period.

As I said, the Samaurai prefer the discipline of being told how to fight. Pirates prefer FREEDOM!!!

P.S. Samaurai wear funny hats!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sam, I have a Gracie O'Malley on my own message board, and it sounds very much like she and your Gracie would be good friends. Apart from fighting over the rum and booty, of course!

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sam, I have a Gracie O'Malley on my own message board, and it sounds very much like she and your Gracie would be good friends. Apart from fighting over the rum and booty, of course!
*coughs* Did you mean my "Grace"... Grace O'Malley. You can look her up on Wikipedia! The witches there did a fine article on her.

Grace is generous with the rum, but if you touch her booty you draw back a stump!

Safe Travels, Sam

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*coughs* Did you mean my "Grace"... Grace O'Malley. You can look her up on Wikipedia! The witches there did a fine article on her.

Grace is generous with the rum, but if you touch her booty you draw back a stump!

Safe Travels, Sam

Gracie O'Malley, Irish Pirate Queen, one hell of a woman and not someone to be messed with. A fine role model for my own four daughters :D

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gracie O'Malley, Irish Pirate Queen, one hell of a woman and not someone to be messed with. A fine role model for my own four daughters :D
You sound like a fine lass! Stop by the Chaos Club sometimes and we'll tip a bottle of the Admiral's Hearty Rum!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've set up a little demonstration for that Connor gentleman... perhaps he does better with pictures than words! Heh heh.

Now Connor... loot at the first picture. My ship is the Jolly Roger, and Captain Mongbat there, is Captain of the H.M.S. Cape. In the first demonstration, I am heading towards the Cape and my men and I board her! You see that I use a daggar and shield as I slice my way through to Captain Mongbat. Once I get my poisoned daggar to his neck, the ship is mine!

Now in this demonstration, you can see the Cape has gotten the upper hand and is preparing to board us. Or maybe I was just a tad lazy that day and wanted them to think they had the upper hand! Heh heh. Anyways... you can see I've equipped a spear to poke Captain Mongbats sailors through the heart as they foolishly attempt to board my vessel. When the cowardly Captain Mongbat realizes that I've slain his boarding party he disengages and tries to run... go back to the first demonstration... as that is how it always ends.

Captain Mongbat on his knees, cryin' like a schoolgirl while I press my poisoned daggar to his neck.

Now, is that somethin' they teach ya in the Samaurai Dojo!

Yarrr!

C

Connor_Graham

Now, is that somethin' they teach ya in the Samaurai Dojo!

Yarrr!
Actually, yeah it is, with one exception.

When you had the spear ready, if you'd been trained in the Dojo, when one of those sneaky buggers up in the crow's nest brought out his crossbow and tried to shoot ol' Gracie while she had her back turned in places that would be too painful to mention here, she would have been able to parry the bolt, thus saving her ability to sit down, or do other things that she might be inclined to do.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...when one of those sneaky buggers up in the crow's nest brought out his crossbow and tried to shoot ol' Gracie ...
Have you actually ever tried to fire a crossbow from the crow's nest of a ship on the high seas! Plus you're trying to hit a very agile and fast moving target... ME! Good luck lad! At best, the archers attracted by the boring life and low pay of His Majesty's Navy are GM. There is no room for advancement for an archer in the military hierarchy. However with the rewards and freedom of the pirate life, I am able to recruit Legendary Archers for my ship!

And... you do realize one of the first things my gunners would target would be the main mast to disable the opposing ship. Unless she was prettier than my ship and I meant to keep her as a prize! Yarrr!

Of course, nowadays I've retired from piracy and am an honest merchant. *winks*

Safe Travels, Landlubber!

Grace O'Malley
Pirate (ret.)

G

gjohnson5

Currently 4 points from the following template

120 Bushido
120 Parry
120 Fencing
120 Tactics
120 Anatomy
120 Healing (116.4 healing currently)

I just wanted to try this out and I have to say overall it's a weak template and definitely wouldn't pvp with this.

I wish
1. Healing time would be reduced with higher healing skill
2. Defense chance increase would increase my chance to parry
3. Parry itself could reduce damage from certain direct damage spells
4. Evasion time nerf would be based on Bushido skill so @ 120 bushido with only a 5 second delay
5. Counter attack would guarantee a hit
6. All 2 handed melee weapons could be balanced and did slightly more damage then 1 handed counter parts. It makes no sense to me at bows can be balanced but a melee fighter can't get that benefit