• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Building a house over 2 stories high

B

Banner

I want to know if when you customize you house is there any limit on to how high you can build it? I mean looking over to the right side of the customization bar you see 3 levels and a roof. right?? Well i built what I thought was my dream home last night which by the way only took me around 3 hrs (first time building one with a roof) and when i tried to save it and convert it it told me that the house was illegal??? So I thought I might have left some of the old house there and there wasn't of course.... But It still would not let me commit the house.. So I started all over again and this time after about 2 hrs the same thing??? So my question is will I have to buy the extra house storage in order to build a house with 3 story's and a roof? Or is it something else?? Any one have any clues?? :wall:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't commit if you have any illegal tiles in the house - these are orange tiles that can be difficult to see if they are something small (such as wooden railing floating in the air). You can use the floor transparency button (next to the level buttons) to see if you have any orange tiles, just go to each floor and keep hitting it.

To remove orange tiles you can just erase them, or if it's something you need like flooring make sure that it is all supported by lower walls. You can't just have stuff floating in the air, so you need to make sure you have good supports.

If this is all driving you nuts, clear the plot and then build it floor by floor. Start with the bottom floor and commit it, then customize the next floor etc. That can help you figure out what you have to do to create support for the different parts of your house.

BTW I hear it is difficult to customize in the EC so if you are using that you may want to stick to the classic client for customizing.

B

Banner

Thanks Sarsmi... I think what you said is right on the mark.... Will be doing the one floor at a time tonight... Will let you know if that was it... Thanks Lanzar

B

Banner

It worked!!!!!!!!! thank you again. I did what you said and built a floor and committed to it and then moved on to the next.. And walla I now have a nice house.... with a roof... whahoo...( I know I'm lame) I'll post pic's tomorrow....

B

Beer_Cayse

Okay - committing the design will fail if you are illegal, but a SAVE should work and allow you to refine the design.

Also, next to the floor/roof click-to-move-here icon, play with the little ball/wall gizmos. These cycle thru varying transparency levels which **might** show what is illegal on any one floor.

To reset the gizmo, the easiest method is jump to another floor and then back where you were. Floors and walls will revert to default status (opaque).

Common error for me is getting an illegal roof tile and not seeing it. I learned that doing peaked roofing do the N and W portions a couple rows then the E and S (in that order), progressing as I am sure of legality.

Make sense?