• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bug treasure hunter on Europa?

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing on 2 shards. Catskills and Europa. I have the same char, a mage bard with cartography and lockpicking ( in 2 soulstones).
I put lockpicking on a soulstone, decode some maps and then drop cartography and raise lockping ( by soulstone).
On Catskills is all ok and i go to the treasures, on Europa when i change the skills ( drop cartography and raise lockpicking) the maps are not decoded!!
I must have both the skills to use the maps.
There's some bug on Europa??

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the answer :(
However i've found that the maps were bugged :(
I've found them on the ground near a bank.
Now i've found a new map in a paragon and it all works perfectly. I can decode the map and then drop cartography :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the map isn't bugged in order for this to work your maps have to start off as tattered!

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, Timberwolf. I've searching treasure from so many years. Both on Catskills and Europa.
I know how to use the skill and i know the maps
I make sure that some of the maps that i've found on the ground, on Euroipa, were bugged. Now i've no problems with every other map that i decode :)
I regret that i've trashed them. That maps seem like the normal one.
Timber, i'm not a noob on treasure hunter and maps :)
:love:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one is suggesting you are a noob Ivory.
But your maps aren't bugged, when I rewrote the THB Faq I included this.
Unfortunately it got lost in the crash and no one made the effort to retrieve it.

For the sake of explanation there is decoding a map, and reading a map. Two entirely different things depending on the state the map was in when it was discovered.

Only a "Tattered" map can be decoded. Only a Tattered map can give you Cartography gains above 99.5.

A map is only "tattered" until any person in the world decodes it for the first time

Then the map reverts to ... " A Cleverly drawn map" or an "Expertly drawn map" etc.

A "non-tattered" map can be read, dug and picked by anyone with the appropriate skill. But that skill cannot be on your Soul stone. It must be on your character when the shovel hits the dirt. Even if the map is brand new to you, if it doesn't say "tattered" you must have the skill on you character to dig. Technically you can't decode a non tattered map, you can only read it!

Now if you start out with a box of "Tattered" maps there is a trick you can use. You decode all the "tattered" maps , they will lose their "tattered" status but because you were then one to steal their "virginity" so to speak you get a benefit.

You can now soul stone cartography off your character, and then proceed to "read" each map a second time and dig it.

But only because it started out tattered first. Before soul stones this was really never an issue. But now with tight templates people like to leave cartography off their treasure Hunter.

It is a very easy mistake to make, I have made it myself a few times. I pick up a bag of maps or buy a bag of maps only to discover that most aren't tattered and are therefore useless to my treasure hunter.

This also applies if you want to make a "Tattered Wall map" The 19 maps (I think it is 19 , been a while) you use must all be "tattered" when you start out. This is crucial or you will just keep getting the message "you need more resources" when you attempt to make the map!

Nothing tells you either what map wasn't tattered.

Yes it is a pain and yes it is confusing, I have discussed this with Dev's when I wrote the faq, this is how the system was designed and this is how they want it to work....it is not a bug. But it is a pain!

:)
Many people have had to throw out their entire collection of maps because one or two "NON tattered" maps got added to their map chest.

The system I use if I keep two chests one labeled "Tattered maps" and one labelled "ready to dig".

when my "ready to Dig chest" is empty, I add cartography back onto my character, and then I carefully check and decode each map ensuring that it is "tattered" when I take it out of the one chest and add it to the other.

I then stone cartography again and then I am off to dig!

:)

I hope this clears things up for others who have struggled with their maps and how to do this!

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Timberwolf. Now it's all clear.
I didn't know that there was "non-tattered" maps. It's the first time that i found some of them.
Only one thing. Normally i found maps on mosnters on in the paragon chests. I ever found tattered maps. Where are the non-tattered? In the same monsters and chests?
Thanks!

D

DuLang

Tattered treasure maps are what spawn on monsters corpses, or in paragon chests.

non-tattered treasure maps are just maps that have dropped, like the above ones, then a cartographer has read them, and for whatever reason they have been sold, donated or dropped on the ground. These ones you will need to have the cartography skill on your character to look at and dig up.

I've dealt with this a lot lately. First case was a shop was selling maps that had already been read so I had to do them with the cartography skill on my character.

The second case, a guy looted a load of level 6's from a house that dropped, and was dumping them at the bank. I was hurriedly picking them all up because I knew their worth, yet he called me nuts and told me "they don't work". When I explained to him that I could dig them up because I have cartography, he told me I was wrong, and when I tried to explain again, he told me "whatever". His loss is my 23 marti's gained :D