• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Broken Wings

Merek Penrose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Penrose sat alone in the abbey. The chill night air wafted over his skin from the drafty corners of the keep. The only light filtering through the darkness was from braziers along the walls. Penrose brought his flagon to his lips, filling his mouth with the taste of the bitter mead as he watched the light dance over the blade of the replica of Broken Wings. It silently lay across the room from him, and though the blade made no actual sound, it called to him. Penrose longed to feel the cold metal in his grasp. The muscles in his empty hand twitched and closed his hand into a hard fist. Mead splashed onto the stone tabletop as Penrose slammed the flagon against the slab. He thrust himself upright and stalked toward the dungeons.

The girl who attacked him had revealed, quite willingly, the name of her Master and his purpose to take out the Warlord of the Vadan'Myr with her special skills. It turned out she was highly skilled in keeping tabs on difficult targets. This skill could be useful to him...If he had any information on the possible location of Broken Wings.

Penrose walked in on Scythyn, Skylar and the girl talking. Calmly, quietly. The girl seemed to be happily devouring an apple. She sat in the cell, perched on the end of the bed, gripping the apple in a way that reminded him of the little furry creatures he saw darting through the foliage during the warmer months. It disgusted him.

“What has she told you? Anything useful? Why does she seem so...Happy?” Penrose sneered over the last word, glaring at the girl in the cell as he spoke to the Inquisitor. The girl shot him a grin in return.

“Nothing more than what has already been revealed. Nyx has been more than co-operative.” Skylar seemed almost remorseful over the lack of torture required.

The cheery attitude of the girl in the cell angered Skylar. She lost all interest in Penrose's plan to her to find Broken Wings. Skylar didn’t need the hassle of dealing with the waif; she would find the sword for her Warlord herself. “Kill her, then. She’s useless.” ordered Skylar to Scythyn as she turned to walk away, but once again was stopped by the eerie little giggle drifting from the figure at the end of the bed.

“I’ll execute the prisoner only if I receive such orders from the Warlord. You would do well to heed his orders.” Scythyn kept an even tone with Skylar. He did not wish to defend this girl from his own kind, but her allegiance remained with the Warlord, where it belonged.

Penrose smiled toward Skylar as he started toward the cell, bringing a hand up, preparing to call on the flames he so favored. Nyx sat still, smiling that creepy smile, only making his decision to end her more sound.

“If yous kills me, he’ll never find the shiny!”

The ball of fire gathered in his palm, brightening the room.

“What are you tittering about, insect? Tell me quickly and I’ll make your death just as quick.”

Nyx leapt the short distance from the edge of the bed to the bars that separated them.

“I see yous stares. At the shiny! Nyx watched him. Yous didn’t know I was there.” Nyx gazed up at Penrose, and the realization dawned on him. This girl, for one reason or another, found interest in him. He was unsure what kind of insanity this girl was plagued with, but his interest was piqued. The ball of flame evaporated and Penrose struck, filling his hand with the material of the girl’s tunic and lifting her up to meet his gaze.

“Nyx saw it! The bad man sent her to kill the monk! Nyx saw the sword!”

Penrose let the girl hit the floor and stepped back. He had been so close to severing any possibility he had of finding it...So close to losing everything and never knowing it.

“Broken Wings. You’ve seen it?!” The Warlord rushed back to the iron bars, grabbing for the girl. Nyx, however, was beginning to learn and easily danced out of the way. She cocked her head to one side and gave him a look of pure confusion.

“What’s a Broken Wings?”

Last edited: