• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Broke Garden Shed and GM wont replace it.

viper of flames

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm truly shocked that something like this couldn't be redeeded . They always come and fix or redeed items it they are broken. GM responed item was on a goza mat and wont be replaced. 90% of the houses in this game have flooring mats,carpet or pavers. This house broke because i put a grass tile down and didnt like it and picked it up and the Shed slip in half. I tried to axe it and small parts would go poof! Bonnie if you read this please can I have it replaced. I can send pictures

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm truly shocked that something like this couldn't be redeeded . They always come and fix or redeed items it they are broken. GM responed item was on a goza mat and wont be replaced. 90% of the houses in this game have flooring mats,carpet or pavers. This house broke because i put a grass tile down and didnt like it and picked it up and the Shed slip in half. I tried to axe it and small parts would go poof! Bonnie if you read this please can I have it replaced. I can send pictures
Just toke some decor down and found a spot i would not walk. Paged gm said the tile was from a 9th year vet pick all I can think of is the banner got happy thought I would get the banner he said I can't tell if you claimed it or not so did not get it.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not too long after I came back to the game I bought one of those world map things off the UO store and placed it on a floor where I had stone pavers. It broke the item and when I paged a GM he told me it's a known bug in the game and I should have known about it. Basically told me they wouldn't do anything to help me. They have the worst customer service and don't really care about the players. Just keep paying your monthly subscription.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not too long after I came back to the game I bought one of those world map things off the UO store and placed it on a floor where I had stone pavers. It broke the item and when I paged a GM he told me it's a known bug in the game and I should have known about it. Basically told me they wouldn't do anything to help me. They have the worst customer service and don't really care about the players. Just keep paying your monthly subscription.
Their lack of care for customers and seriously horrible customer service is Legendary... No other game treats its players with such contempt.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Their lack of care for customers and seriously horrible customer service is Legendary... No other game treats its players with such contempt.
For years, Warcraft would respond to every ticket with a message to check wowhead. It could be any kind of issue.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never, ever, axe an item that has been broken. It is well known that the item will be destroyed if you do. Always attempt to lower the pieces to the lowest point so that the item is in one piece before attempting to re-deed.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Never, ever, axe an item that has been broken. It is well known that the item will be destroyed if you do. Always attempt to lower the pieces to the lowest point so that the item is in one piece before attempting to re-deed.
Lowering the pavers and not axing is how I found out my item was broken. The paver tiles took on the graphic of the section of the map.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this can happen to many multi tile deeds, one part may fall and it becomes "broken". u must make sure all pieces are aligned. this happened to a friend of mine, "poof" with the shed. gms will come and fix if broken but may take a few days. not sure if they will fix if pieces that gets chopped. these are the kind of things i would like the devs to work on, fixing and improving the game for both clients. i had an ore cart that broke but i couldnt put back together. these kinds of things should never happen. i wish the crafted pavers/wall would be more permanent. they tend to fall. just another reason for customized keeps/castles for permanent floors/walls but this wont happen

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
GMs are not customer services counter employees at the local Walmart.
they are the cops and the quick lube mechanics - there to police the game and quick fix stuff if they can.
thinking that a GM will give you something... well that just does not compute.
i doubt they even have access to stuff to give anyone.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It broke the item and when I paged a GM he told me it's a known bug in the game and I should have known about it.
In other words, how dare you be ignorant of a game bug that you should have been omniscient about?

I don't know which is worse, that GM or the original GMs excusing obvious cheating (exploits) as "a creative use of game mechanics."

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GMs are not customer services counter employees at the local Walmart.
they are the cops and the quick lube mechanics - there to police the game and quick fix stuff if they can.
thinking that a GM will give you something... well that just does not compute.
i doubt they even have access to stuff to give anyone.
GMs used to have incredible powers, as GM Darwin showed. If they have no real power now beyond teleporting stuck players, then BS should admit that GMs' function is just BS. This isn't to say they've always employed great powers for good purposes, but a god needs to be powerful even if the power is never exercised.

I've seen a GM literally take a house apart as polygons, not tiles and wall pieces. It remains one of the strangest things I've ever seen in the game, back in late 1998, early 1999 at the latest, when housing even on Sonoma was scarce. One of my friends had tried placing a 2-story on a ledge, which wound up so improperly placed that we couldn't enter it. For whatever reason the GM couldn't just redeed it and give it back to my friend (before you could do that with houses). The pieces moved around like a UO house was being Photoshopped onto a background.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
It's a shed ppl. Let it go let it go. I don't know whole song but I hear it's a hit with the kids.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I’m sure I don’t. But making out people who didn’t know this are at fault is a pretty poisonous thing to do.

Well known?
I’m interested in how you came to this wording.
That wasn't my intention, merely to offer advice for the future. As for well known, well yes many many people are aware that splitting an add on causes the component parts to be destroyed when axed. There are tutorials in several places on how to make use of this.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think "well known" is ever an answer or appropriate response to someone having an issue in any situation. It's belittling and essentially telling someone they did through gross negligence or being purposefully ignorant. I'd follow the other advice already given. Post it on the official forum. I'm not even really sure why it was posted here, personally, but I don't really actively post in either place.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A moderator from the official forum has given advice in this thread as well, and instead of reaching out to her contacts, she said "Don't do that". I think it's somewhere in their contracts that it's always the player who is to blame ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think "well known" is ever an answer or appropriate response to someone having an issue in any situation. It's belittling and essentially telling someone they did through gross negligence or being purposefully ignorant. I'd follow the other advice already given. Post it on the official forum. I'm not even really sure why it was posted here, personally, but I don't really actively post in either place.
Go tell @Petra Fyde to make an official wiki page with "well known bugs" linked on the wiki frontpage and see how that goes.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't see this advice mentioned yet:

Don't page GMs over lost items. Email Bonnie and you will have a slight chance. She is always looking for popularity among players. GMs don't. There have been numerous cases where Bonnie replaced items I thought nobody would get replaced ever. Long time vets won't hesitate to go to the boss directly, and so should you.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Don't page GMs over lost items. Email Bonnie and you will have a slight chance. She is always looking for popularity among players. GMs don't. There have been numerous cases where Bonnie replaced items I thought nobody would get replaced ever. Long time vets won't hesitate to go to the boss directly, and so should you.
Make sure its no from any email account from Microsoft or they wont get it. so get the Yahoo account out that has not been used in 20 years.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Make sure its no from any email account from Microsoft or they wont get it. so get the Yahoo account out that has not been used in 20 years.
The irony is that in 98 the majority of emails used to start accounts were either aol or hotmail...

viper of flames

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks guys it's axed all away no point in emailing just got a new one. I'm usually very good with broken items and getting them redeed with the axe. Thought it was all back in the proper spots. It's like the fireplace even if it's in half u can still axe to redeed . Oh well thanks for the replies.

Traleah

Visitor
I am glad I read this thread! I searched “known bugs ultima online” and see there appear to be several. I’m one of those “unaware” players, so I will have some reading to do.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks guys it's axed all away no point in emailing just got a new one. I'm usually very good with broken items and getting them redeed with the axe. Thought it was all back in the proper spots. It's like the fireplace even if it's in half u can still axe to redeed . Oh well thanks for the replies.
To tell if an item is ok to chop, just us a deco tool to see if you can raise it and lower it. If you can then it will break if you chop it. lower all parts til you cant raise or lower any part.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where's the discussion about how poorly designed some elements of the game are that we have to resort to using freaking goza mats and house tools to make even the simplest of things look right ? Mannequins and stewards have a context menu "Redeed" option, and they've been around for a while..yet newly created Vet rewards still have to be chopped with an axe ?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Where's the discussion about how poorly designed some elements of the game are that we have to resort to using freaking goza mats and house tools to make even the simplest of things look right ? Mannequins and stewards have a context menu "Redeed" option, and they've been around for a while..yet newly created Vet rewards still have to be chopped with an axe ?
Isn't that part of the charm though? There are some sandbox games coming out where you can do some of this stuff, but they aren't really MMOs. Other games with similar systems like Rust aren't nearly as customizable as UO. I think the goza thing is more of a bug they just let stay because it's interesting. It's a product of the type of game UO is.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Isn't that part of the charm though? There are some sandbox games coming out where you can do some of this stuff, but they aren't really MMOs. Other games with similar systems like Rust aren't nearly as customizable as UO. I think the goza thing is more of a bug they just let stay because it's interesting. It's a product of the type of game UO is.
Stuff not working correctly and players having to create work around is charming...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cork

Sage
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I did email Bonnie multiple times over a 2 month period. Not a single response.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did email Bonnie multiple times over a 2 month period. Not a single response.
Bonnie is not procifient with emails it would seem. I've written her 5 times already about adding my friggin house to the historic program, and zilch and the house was included in a multishard tour of houses given around 2006..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've sent her one email and she resolved it within a week. Saved me a bunch of money too.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No offense here, but if you’re to the point of decorating by placing deeded objects on raised gozas or pavers, you probably bear some of the responsibility of educating yourself on the risks. Raised gozas, imo, we’re not an intended decorating tool, but the devs have seen fit to allow players to use them like this. Once you, as a player, start down this path you bear some responsibility for the unintended consequences.

Stratics has a pretty knowledgeable community, particularly in decorating. Any number of them would gladly have warned you about the risk of breaking an object if you had asked in advance. I get the frustration, but I think this issue is mostly on the players.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you break something a gm will not return it. Most of us have broken something and lost it. I Know for a fact I have lost miner things to the goza trick. did lose a 9th year banner once and I just wanted to place it higher at the time it was a cheaper item so not a big deal.

Have heard storeys of people losing everything inside there Goza basements.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a distinct possibility that you don't know as much as you think you do.
I usually don't reply to your posts, but....Why do you feel you must somehow shame people when they ask questions? "Well known" *Common Sense" just tacky.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fix would be to not allow it at all then, IMO. Have fun with less customizability.
The reasonable "we love our community" fix would be to add a warning gump before you try to axe an "borked" item and still let people have fun. Least game developers go that far, but it's certainly very possible if desired.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO housing is perfect in it's own sense, but Rust certainly excels in building large "houses" beyond 18x18 footprints and 3 stories. And getting your base destroyed by a teenager with some rockets :)

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I usually don't reply to your posts, but....Why do you feel you must somehow shame people when they ask questions? "Well known" *Common Sense" just tacky.
She does point to facts. Facts are never tacky, finding them so is... well, a bit sad.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No offense here, but if you’re to the point of decorating by placing deeded objects on raised gozas or pavers, you probably bear some of the responsibility of educating yourself on the risks.
That's a ridiculous assumption to make. So people are supposed to scour the internet in the hopes of finding some associated bug with everything new they learn about the game? Especially as a returning player and seeing all these public houses with raised pavers with stuff on them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was not my intention to shame anyone, but if that's the way you read my posts, I will refrain from making them.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a ridiculous assumption to make. So people are supposed to scour the internet in the hopes of finding some associated bug with everything new they learn about the game? Especially as a returning player and seeing all these public houses with raised pavers with stuff on them.
Yes, they should scour the internet for the knowledge they lack. If one starts experimenting with the unknown, and is then bitten by a demon, it's their fault for not learning what the unknown entails and not having prepared themselves. You cant be all giddy cuz u learnt to turn on the stove, and then cry cuz u got burnt.. Before using it, lean how it's supposed to be friggin used! People just want to avoid accountability, and responsibility for one's own acts.

We've all lost a thing or 2 with broken addons... long time ago with gozas, nowadays when a darn stone paver decides to plummet down because you chopped a table that was 2 levels below... and all of a sudden you see your rooftop koi-pond corner one floor below where it should be.. and all one can think is "f***k, I've really messed it up this time!" (and all you did was chop a table to move it 1 tile.. but the stone paver!!! Yet, if you know to bring back the multi-tile addon back until it glues up, you will be super happy that you knew this and that you were able to re-deed it.. so yes.. Ignorance about complex things is no excuse to avoid the consequences. Exactly as in law.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Far from ridiculous. Using raised gozas as a decorating strategy is not your day one new player method. So yes, if you see other houses that have done that and want to try it yourself, a little research or questions to the community is in the players best interest to avoid unintended consequences.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Far from ridiculous. Using raised gozas as a decorating strategy is not your day one new player method. So yes, if you see other houses that have done that and want to try it yourself, a little research or questions to the community is in the players best interest to avoid unintended consequences.
Or we could expect the development team to give us things we want/need that maybe worked correctly...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or we could expect the development team to give us things we want/need that maybe worked correctly...
Decorating on raised gozas is not intend, imo. If you put a deeded item on a regular floor in your house it doesn’t break. Seems like it’s working as intended to me.

I would add… be careful what you ask for… you’re far more likely to lose the ability to raise/lower gozas and pavers than they are to fix raised items breaking.