• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bringing New Life To The Ocean.

M

Mr Artifact

I believe there should be more creatures in the ocean some examples i wouldn't mind seeing are as follows. large and small sharks, small and giant squid, small and giant octopus i don't mean the kraken when i say giant squid or octopus, mermaids, giant and small crabs, giant and small lobsters, other types of sea monsters besides the kraken & sea serpents, whales, sea horses, sword fish ,sea cucumber,sea snakes, sea dragons sea slugs, clown fish, angel fish, manta rays, sting rays,eels electric and non electric the electric eels can shoot lightning like bolts at us, horse shoe crabs, jelly fish, man of wars , the puffer fish there spines can be used as a deadly toxin, sea snails, star fish, and oysters the oysters can be caught with a special fishing net and a small percentage of these oysters can have a special black or white stack able pearl among other things. [/list] I also believe some of these creatures should be caught, put on as a trophy deed and some of these species the smaller versions should be put in aquariums. some should also be fished for, some should be catchable by special fishing nets and some can attack us in our ships or on land if we are near the water these are just some i can think of i would be happy if at least some of these can be added anyone have anything to add or comment on and no i don't play wow nor do i know what creatures are in it or not sorry if that sounds rude but the only game of this type that i know about is uo? one more idea put sea weed in the game it can be used as a cooking ingredient or maybe something else too. imported from and modified from an old idea of mine on the ideas den.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An underwater kingdom would be cool. Brought back the Elves of old Sosaria, why not bring back their ancient cousins (the nixies).

M

Mr Artifact

An underwater kingdom would be cool. Brought back the Elves of old Sosaria, why not bring back their ancient cousins (the nixies).
[/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] [/list] i agree an underwater Kingdom would be cool.

I

imported_Fran Fury

Any new additions to bring any life to the seas would be great. And not just customizing my boat

There are many things that could be added to enhance the life of adventures, pirates,fishers and chefs. Many many great ideas have been brought forth over the years...maybe someday we will get a few of them.

M

Mr Artifact

lets hope so the oceans are vast and they could sure use more creatures, ships,and alot of other things.

G

Arrr now this sounds like a fine idea to me, Us pirates need some more advetures so we do not have to take to the dry land so much for our thrills.

OOOO an Ocean Peerless with luring sirens and at the end maybe king neptune or his nasty cousin *grins*

G

I would *love* to see some new ocean fun!

This is way overdue. *nods*

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ghost ships and mermaids would be cool. I dunno that we could get as many new crits as you're listing there but there are certainly quite a few nice ideas

J

Justy

This is a great idea! Perhaps after Stygian Abyss, an ocean based expansion could be wrought. Pirates, an ability to do undersea quests, new monsters could all be on the table. Wouldn't be fun to see Vesper be attacked by a horde of giant crustaceons!

Maybe... maybe we might get... seahorses!! A new ocean based ridable!!

UO has so many ideas just waiting inside this game. It would be a shame not to explore them all.

I

imported_Fran Fury

I could be wrong but it seems I remember talk about an ocean/pirate expansion...then we got AOS.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think most of us can agree that the ocean lacks detail in UO.

I would love to see new graphics for an under water dungeon where we could fight sea themed stuff maybe even have some bosses in there but require some type of item or something for breathing under water.

J

Justy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think most of us can agree that the ocean lacks detail in UO.

I would love to see new graphics for an under water dungeon where we could fight sea themed stuff maybe even have some bosses in there but require some type of item or something for breathing under water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potions of water breathing!... give my alchemist some love.

G

Yeah I would be happy with that as long as the potions lasted a decent amount of time.

G

Mighty fine ideas!.... I'm all for adding life to the sea.... Only fishing I ever do or like is actually UO fishing..... I hate RL fishing.... but would LOVE if they added a whole expansion to just the sea!..... New boats, new wonders think I mentioned in another post an idea about whales... and getting "swallowed" by one .... would be cool as all get out... anyway Love the idea.

S

Samantha [ATL]

Awesome idea, hopefully we'll see it someday. Maybe with the launch of SA??

G

<blockquote><hr>

I could be wrong but it seems I remember talk about an ocean/pirate expansion...then we got AOS.

[/ QUOTE ]You are correct Fran.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Pirate chars with ships that could fire on each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we have a cannon as a vet reward...and bola balls....and the guards use cannons so why not make Blacksmiths able to make them...and alchemists able to make gun powder and walla smoking ships.

Could even let the habour master sell us different coloured sails or at least be able to dye the sails on our ship with some sort of dye tub....and lock down stuff and use deco tool as I would raise some skull and cross bones *grins*

There really is so much love they could give to the oceans...I almost wrote oceania then force of habit lol.

M

Mr Artifact

correct or not i was not a member of the stratics forums when aos came out nor did i read any ideas simular to this idea or most of my ideas so far. i try to be original in this day and age thats a rare thing but i try. thanks for all the possative feed back everyone.

I

imported_Fran Fury

Oh your ideas are original, but there has been many ideas thrown around for years off and on.

We have all been pleading for new stuff on and in the water for a long time.

I would love to hear from the devs if anything is even a possibility. They seem to avoid any threads about fishing or the water.

M

Mr Artifact

well i cant always be original like i said i try to me this was an original idea but i do not believe it hurts for more then one person to post simular ideas now and then. if enough players post it and request it who knows maybe the dev teams will be more likely to consider it so i see no harm in players posting simular ideas either although i usually try to be original like with this idea. [/list] if someone wants to steal my ideas and add to them or improve them thats fine with me i am not hear for the Fame or the Glory i am here hoping that at least part of my idea becomes a part of UO if i wanted Fame, Glory or just a read i would write a book although i dont think alot of people would read it because i dont think i would make a good writer lol.

G

i hate fighting on a boat, and even more underwater.

Everygame i've ever played with underwater fighting made me scream!

G

<blockquote><hr>

i hate fighting on a boat, and even more underwater.

Everygame i've ever played with underwater fighting made me scream!

[/ QUOTE ]

I rocked at Alex the Kidd *chuckles*

I

imported_Sarphus

I think a randomly spawning oceanic champ spawn could be interesting.

J

joblackjon

I want a boogie board and a seadoo!
I want a boogie board and a seadoo!
And parasailing!
Parasailing in plate armor...a death wish!

A

Admiral Ruffie

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It was after AoS that Sunsword was trying to get a High Seas Adventure expansion made. I met with him at the Ultima X Odyssey event in August 2003 where he and I talked about it. The idea was sunk a few months later, because according to SunSword, pirates fared poorly with test groups, who wanted vampires instead. Of course, we got ninjas in the next expansion.

After Samurai Empire, I know a few designers who pushed for High Seas Adventure when the time came, but instead - we got elves.

The problem is the same for the last decade - the boat movement code and the seas themselves. Boats are multi-objects moving across a sea of tiles. The code could be optimized, of course, but in the end it's a big problem that they've been unwilling to tackle.

And because of these issues, they've been hesitant to add content to the seas. If they had new things to do out at sea, more players would be sailing, and the pressure would be on to really address the boat issues.

It's a good dream and you all know how I feel about it. Keep trying, but realistically I wouldn't get my hopes up. In 2004, Leurocian and Fertbert made a good push for more stuff for seafarers, so maybe - just maybe - our good friend Leurocian, who's still there and has risen through the ranks a bit since then - will once again grace the seafaring community of UO with some new things.

Admiral Ruffie Windjammer
Middle - Aged Gamer
The Turbulent Waters Archive

G

This is not a direct reply to anyone in particular...just some random thoughts. *smiles*

I'd be happy with some new content with the boats we have now...at least it would be a start in the right direction.

Even just giving the Fishing skill some love would get more people adventuring on the high seas once again.

Add in some perks for Felucca Oceans, even if just double resources/loot and you've got something for the pirates to enjoy, as well. Sorta hard to be an active pirate with no landlubbers or new, starry-eyed sailors to interact with. *grins*

I think Ocean content and Pirate themed stuff would be very well received in the Japanese market.

G

Well, there certainly has been some interest lately in fishing and treasure chests (and have been for some time now - remember Ricardo's lair had "ship building plans" on a table), but although I like to dream wildly I'm not letting my hopes get too high ... there are simply so many things on the go all at once right now with a lot of post-move ramping up still going on.

*longs for seven seas and a wide ocean to sail*

I

imported_Lundan

Some type of water-themed dungeon is in order. Someone mentioned a whirlpool to Ambrosia. Perhaps the journey to Ambrosia could be filled with Greater Sea Serpents and some Dread Narwhals. It could be semi-restrictive, like Wind, where parts of the dungeon passage can only be accessed by 80%+ fishers.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

I wouldn't mind sea-based content.

Hell, could be as simple as the next time there's a new map, make it no-recall, no-gate, and have a big ocean area on which Peerlesses or Champs spawn.

However, let's find out the fate of Stygian Abyss first....

-Galen's player

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I rocked at Alex the Kidd *chuckles*

[/ QUOTE ]

That fish was my nemisis for a long, long time.

*grins*

G

Hehe, that wouldn't quite fit in to the timeline of UO. UO is based between Ultima II - Ultima IV i think. Ambosia was in Ultima IX: Ascension. Ambrosia was built by the Gargoyle race as a result of the Column of Pride in Hythloth making them strive for more and more glory. Ambrosia was destroyed by them attempting to over do it and have the Avatar activate a huge, spinning globe that was attached to the top of the dome...An Bal Sil Fer! Damn i still get that stuck in my head at times.