• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring back the classic Phoenix.

Bring back the classic Phoenix.

• Total voters

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite honestly the phoenix I use to hunt was very difficult to see much less evade its ire.
After seeing this new bird I must say I like it... though the idea of a blaze one was not too shabby.
You who wish this little bird complain too much... complaining will not get it changed..
Come up with a good reason and e mail the person who makes the changes.
Griping here will get you no where.

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How about a compromise?
NEVAH! It's not the UO way.

The old one could fly, which is one of the things people liked about it. The new one only walks. If they scaled down the size of the new one it still wouldn't be able to fly like the old one could.
Yea, that does suck.

That is true, however by making both versions available not a single person anywhere should be mad about it, since they can choose whichever they prefer and ignore the one they don't like.
This requires more change though than a simple swap. They'd need a spawn for the new graphic phoenix and even though they have same stats it'd still be a different object reference because of the different graphics so it's like adding a new monster.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In UO the Phoenix isn't a big bright fluffy hello kitty bird.
In UO the Phoenix was a small deep red bird that everyone knew about and ran from because it was so pissed off. :D
The Phoenix was the Beast of Caerbannog in UO. Cute little red birdy, but with a vicious streak a mile wide. It was the most foul, crude, bad tempered fowl you'd ever set eyes on. It used to tear through entire guilds that would enter it's cave, leaving mounds of player corpses and dead Dragons in it's wake, during UO's heyday.
Just replace the rabbit with a red eagle, and that was the Phoenix of oldschool UO.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
Although indifferent to new or old, the new one looks more like Magic: The Gathering's M11 Bird of Paradise and not necessarily a phoenix in my opinion. If they could take the current body, but add the fire elemental texture/coloring. THAT would be a phoenix imo. And freaking awesome.

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although indifferent to new or old, the new one looks more like Magic: The Gathering's M11 Bird of Paradise and not necessarily a phoenix in my opinion. If they could take the current body, but add the fire elemental texture/coloring. THAT would be a phoenix imo. And freaking awesome.
You mean original Ravnica's BoP, which is the original printing for the art found on the reprinted M11 version.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
You mean original Ravnica's BoP, which is the original printing for the art found on the reprinted M11 version.
Yeah that maybe. I can't remember that far back! That's what happens when you're old. Only reason I know it was in M11 is because I was cleaning up some cards getting ready to move and saw it. haha All my Original Ravnica stuff is in storage.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A rainbow colored pigeon that can't FLY !!!

WTF devs change it back

Well back to my years long hiatus again not sure why I keep paying for this game we need new leadership.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
That sounds cool. The coolest " fire" effect I saw in Ultima was the fire steed in 3rd Dawn. Still remember sitting at brit bank and seeing a friend sitting on one and thinking that was so awesome.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Phoenix was the Beast of Caerbannog in UO. Cute little red birdy, but with a vicious streak a mile wide. It was the most foul, crude, bad tempered fowl you'd ever set eyes on. It used to tear through entire guilds that would enter it's cave, leaving mounds of player corpses and dead Dragons in it's wake, during UO's heyday.
Just replace the rabbit with a red eagle, and that was the Phoenix of oldschool UO.

The way the PvPers cried, you'd think that was the real outcome. :D

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't believe I am the only one to see what the devs have done. Apparently we a have a "Potterhead" on the Dev Team!

New Phoenix.jpg <-----The New Phoenix

upload_2017-6-7_4-34-23.jpeg

Fawkes from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I can't believe I'm the only one to catch it!

Okay MESANNA...If your going to cram Harry Potter in UO then how about Monty Python and the Holy Grail? The Killer Rabbit or the Beast of ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH (Did I spell that right?), the black Knight or the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch? Heck my sis Jirel has been begging for a LOTR style Mumakil. She'd also like to see Wargs and Rostabelle Rabbits. Every time she asks about the Mumakil Mesanna blows her up. I am not only upset that the Dev team changed the graphic....But that they Harry Pottered us without asking us. Next Addition Dobby the House Elf. :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't believe I am the only one to see what the devs have done. Apparently we a have a "Potterhead" on the Dev Team!

View attachment 67783 <-----The New Phoenix

View attachment 67784

Fawkes from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I can't believe I'm the only one to catch it!

Okay MESANNA...If your going to cram Harry Potter in UO then how about Monty Python and the Holy Grail? The Killer Rabbit or the Beast of ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH (Did I spell that right?), the black Knight or the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch? Heck my sis Jirel has been begging for a LOTR style Mumakil. She'd also like to see Wargs and Rostabelle Rabbits. Every time she asks about the Mumakil Mesanna blows her up. I am not only upset that the Dev team changed the graphic....But that they Harry Pottered us without asking us. Next Addition Dobby the House Elf. :p
I want a Dobby! Especially if I can ask it to fetch things I'm looking for in my house!

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
They are never going to change it back. Sorry to say this but why would they change it? Then change it back?
The word "derpppppppp" comes to mind when I read this topic.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A rainbow colored pigeon that can't FLY !!!

WTF devs change it back

Well back to my years long hiatus again not sure why I keep paying for this game we need new leadership.
Much to my surprise, it did fly for me just now!

After being miffed at the change in him, he stayed in stable. But since he ate scrolls before, I took him out today to train up wrestling
at Shame level 2 killing mud elementals.

He also got the magery mastery, so after a few he ran down towards the river and teleported to the other side to kill something. I thought,
great, I hope he teleports back when he done or I gotta use a charge from my ball. Well he just sat there when done, so I thought, try and
say All follow me. I did, and he FLEW across the river back to me.

Made me smile and he is on my good side again now.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Much to my surprise, it did fly for me just now!

After being miffed at the change in him, he stayed in stable. But since he ate scrolls before, I took him out today to train up wrestling
at Shame level 2 killing mud elementals.

He also got the magery mastery, so after a few he ran down towards the river and teleported to the other side to kill something. I thought,
great, I hope he teleports back when he done or I gotta use a charge from my ball. Well he just sat there when done, so I thought, try and
say All follow me. I did, and he FLEW across the river back to me.

Made me smile and he is on my good side again now.

It is such a majestic bird now. Finally the devs make a good decision.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Could be worse.

sundial.png

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah....just because one of the current dev team designed the "fake" Phoenix and is now pissed as nobody does the Turtle spawns, so nobody sees the "fake" phoenix......
.....does not make it ok to change the True Phoenix which has over 15 years of history within UO.
Especially since apparently Nobody even asked for it to be changed....
I don't need nor want another pet that is bigger than myself, we have enough of those already.
I always wanted a useful pet that I could use in Battle without being blind as to what is actually going on.....and for a couple of brief weeks we finally had one....
...never dreamed they would ever give us the legendary Phoenix, but they did and oh, how I was happy.......EVIL devs then stole my happiness by turning it into that....thing.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you tried a Skree? I did early on and messed it up and have not tried to do another since.

But talk about compact! Plan on doing one again later, when I have gold again to get a few scrolls
on him.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skree would have been ok but it's base damage is 5-7 and costs to many points for a 4 slot pet. It's basically a caster pet (which we know don't work we in practice) where the majestic Phoenix was an "i'll rip your throat out if you come one step nearer" type :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skree would have been ok but it's base damage is 5-7 and costs to many points for a 4 slot pet. It's basically a caster pet (which we know don't work we in practice) where the majestic Phoenix was an "i'll rip your throat out if you come one step nearer" type :D

There are 3 slot Skrees but they are still on my underpowered list.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's no such thing as a fake Phoenix. There's just the impostor eagle.

Good riddance, impostor eagle...
The new design sucks.... the old one everyone has loved for almost 20 years..... there's no excuse. Tiny birds, feathers, arrows, liches, daemons, dragons, and gold piles is what made UO. Not dinosaurs and fairy birds.... They're not bad in new expansions or as new monsters. But to take away people's memories from when they used to farm Efreets 10 hours a day for daemon bone armor... and then try just once as a 3 man group to solo a phoenix.... with people that will never again set foot in Ultima because 50,000 players have already quit b/c of crap changes and BS.... is just sad.

How many people quit after they changed the Imbuing system to where "smartness" was no longer involved and who paid the most for armor was the only way? How many people will quit now b/c the game is boring b/c they cannot get powerscrolls? Watch general chat lately and tell me? I see 3-4 people trying to make Hundreds of Millions off of powerscrolls and pets only. It's utterly pathetic for a new player to come back. Buy armor? I can't make it??? I can't get powerscrolls anymore b/c ghost cams? What??? The game is a joke now for 9-10 people's bank accounts.

The phoenix change just adds insult to injury.....

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You werent the only one to catch it, you were the only one unafraid to show your level of nerdiness.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new design sucks.... the old one everyone has loved for almost 20 years..... there's no excuse. Tiny birds, feathers, arrows, liches, daemons, dragons, and gold piles is what made UO.
Dude, it's just pixels.
And what really made UO, is the community. Not the CC. Not the old graphics.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd just like one of them to grow a set and come here and just tell us "Why" they changed the pixels.
Nobody asked for it, not PvM nor PvP playerbase.........so WHO is actually telling the devs "what" we want?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd just like one of them to grow a set and come here and just tell us "Why" they changed the pixels.
Nobody asked for it, not PvM nor PvP playerbase.........so WHO is actually telling the devs "what" we want?
PvPers said it was too small to target. Also many more people saw the Eodon Phoenix and liked it. Then wondered what this red eagle was when they saw it for the first time. Ive never been to the eagle phoenixs location.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PvPers said it was too small to target. Also many more people saw the Eodon Phoenix and liked it. Then wondered what this red eagle was when they saw it for the first time. Ive never been to the eagle phoenixs location.
That's exactly why the poll is in favor of the classic phoenix.......

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I voted classic just because I like staying with the old tried and true art and mobs...enough already with dinos and my little ponies and giant pink birds, some of this is just getting crazy

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna @Kyronix Maybe there was a bit more sentimental attachment to this mob than forseen. It was after all pretty unique. Just an observation though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Mesanna @Kyronix Maybe there was a bit more sentimental attachment to this mob than forseen. It was after all pretty unique. Just an observation though.
It is NOT unique .... it was a red eagle... there are 100's of eagles all over... in Eodon there are ridiculously colored ones... red eagles are not that amazing.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is NOT unique .... it was a red eagle... there are 100's of eagles all over... in Eodon there are ridiculously colored ones... red eagles are not that amazing.
I Said the Phoenix was unique. Not the graphic. Curious, how many of those other red eagles have the ability and uniqueness to kill you in a heartbeat?

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so WHO is actually telling the devs "what" we want?
It's not YOUR game. It is THEIR game. And they do what they think is best for the game. They did that in the last 20 years and they're going to do it in the upcoming years, so don't expect any change here.

There will always people, who will outright like the change, people who will accept the change over time and people who wil never like it. That's the nature of changes, when catering a big playerbase.

Yes, not every change is good. And I'm pretty sure OSI/Mythic/BS knows, what they would have done better when having a look at it retrospectively. But that's not how it works. Tough decisions have to be made upfront. And the fact, that we approach the 20th anniversary tells me, that they made also quite some good decisions throughout the years.

Back to the topic, personally I think the new art is an improvement. The phoenix is a powerful bird, stronger than an eagle. So why have a bland copy of a tiny bird? The sheer size is already more impressive, plus it looks more majestic. I'd just be up from a some small color improvements to make it look more fiery.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would still like to know why the graphic was changed as reading the forums, neither the PvM nor PvP players asked for that change.....
Cause it's a rehue and they had just added new phoenix art probably. They do lots of things without people asking or complaining.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back to the topic, personally I think the new art is an improvement. The phoenix is a powerful bird, stronger than an eagle. So why have a bland copy of a tiny bird? The sheer size is already more impressive, plus it looks more majestic. I'd just be up from a some small color improvements to make it look more fiery.
I'm indifferent honestly, the eagle art isn't anything special, but if people want the classic look, just revert and add a new art spawn in eodon. Simple change.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm indifferent honestly, the eagle art isn't anything special, but if people want the classic look, just revert and add a new art spawn in eodon. Simple change.
The Eoden stuff cant get magic abilities. Just poison. So please NO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think that has anything to do with the facet, just the monsters there. It would have the same stats as a phoenix anywhere else with any other art. Just a different spawn location, where is unimportant.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sure? I found when I select certain things, other menus appear.
ie, selecting poison on a Lion will open up a new Select area attack options.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You sure? I found when I select certain things, other menus appear.
ie, selecting poison on a Lion will open up a new Select area attack options.

Area attacks are not Magical abilities. Mysticism, Magery, Chivalry, Spell weaving are.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Area attacks are not Magical abilities. Mysticism, Magery, Chivalry, Spell weaving are.
It was an example, meaning perhaps you need to get your Dino to eat a Magical powerscroll before those other options show up. Dunno as I only have a Triceratops which is just a huge tank.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lets be honest the new phoniex is a multi colured turkey... so lame..... so veryyyyyyyyyyy lame...

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the new phoenix reminds me of a pastel colored peacock...
or wait...
a Puvia!!!
sorry, that is from an online virtual pet adoption site..
here's a baby puvia. o.0o.0o.0

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way the PvPers cried, you'd think that was the real outcome. :D
That was the outcome the first time my guild tried to take out a Phoenix back in 1998. Dead players and dead Dragons everywhere. That was back before there was a swing speed cap, so the Phoenix with it's up to 300 DEX could literally kill a Warrior in Full Plate before a Mage could even get a Greater Heal off on him.