• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Brand New to UO!

DM Wyvern

Visitor
Hi there UO community!

I was a wee teenager when UO released in 1997 and always wanted to join the party but have not been able to really do so until now, 20 years later and thoroughly sick of the on-rails theme park MMOs derived from the EQ model. I have logged in a few times into UO over the years but was immediately struck dumb and lost by both the lack of in-game hand holding of new players and the complexity of the game.

But now with Endless Journeys on the horizon I feel like now is a good time to come back to the game. I am now subscribed and plan to stay subscribed as long as the Broadsword office lights and servers are on.

UO still is a daunting experience for any new player. It really is challenging knowing what to do and how to get started as a new player. So to help out people like myself I plan to document my experience through a series of posts and video guides that will hopefully make it easier for new players to get into the unmatched simulation experience that is Ultima Online.

And I plan to do so from scratch with absolutely no assistance from the veteran community. Here are my self imposed following rules:

1) Accept no gold gifts

2) Accept no item gifts

3) Learn how to harvest / craft everything on my own

4) See how far I can get and how long it takes me to catch up with established players for PvE / PvM

After learning the ropes on Atlantic, I plan to move over to Siege and make that shard my permanent home. Wish me luck!

- Grimjack

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Welcome back @Grimjack, I strongly recommend posting this in the Siege Forum as well. Might not be as populated as Atlantic but they're very helpful towards new players :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Welcome!

And totally agree with Arch, post on Siege forums too, the people there are SUPER nice!

Have fun!

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Your journal is fantastic. Great information for new players, I look forward to seeing more.

DM Wyvern

Visitor
Hi Team!

The return continues! I have transferred over to Atlantic and joined United We Fight. I have been warmly welcomed by UWF and am enjoying meeting the rest of the UWF community.

I am slowly beginning to max out my skills and I am now starting to think about how to start earning meaningful in-game gold to purchase the items / scrolls I need to complete my Mystic Thrower.

UWF raids throughout the week so I plan on starting there but beyond the UWF raids what is there I can do on my own to make good gold in-game?

I have been advised to collect Void Orbs in Ter Mur and have been doing that, seeing how it is not only a resource that sells well but doing so helps me earn loyalty with the Gargoyle Queen and will eventually grant me access to the Soul Forge.

Is there anything else I can do be doing? My stats look like this:

100 Throwing
90 Tactics
90 Healing
90 Anatomy
95 Mysticism
100 Focus
90 Chivalry

And my equipment right now consists of the Deluxe Journeyman’s Armor from the Deluxe Starter Pack:

Based on what I have currently, what content can I take on to start building up some decent gold in-game? ^_^

DM Wyvern

Visitor
Just got my first ever house in @UltimaOnlineEA! Wyvern's Lair has come up in the lands of Ter Mur on the Atlantic shard, thanks to my United We Fight guildmate Dryzzid. ^_^ :heart:

2020-09-08 12_36_35-UOSA - Wyvern (Atlantic).png

Last edited:

DM Wyvern

Visitor
Progress update on the build of my Ter Mur home in @UltimaOnlineEA. ^_^

118890309_118634113305354_2955418921674444732_o.jpg

Here's the progress on my home so far. ^_^ Not quite finished, I want to redesign the waterfalls so they cascade down into a series of pools. I'll lose floor space but I think the house will look better.

118988735_118634256638673_583813333491154214_o.jpg

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't get sucked in! Houses are how they get you to stop adventuring until UO becomes a second job. Before you know it, you'll forget what the inside of a dungeon looks like and just come to stratics occasionally to whine about how they didn't give out gifts for Kwanza or Easter or whatever.

DM Wyvern

Visitor
Thank you for the warm re-welcome everyone. Would like to especially shout out my guildmate @Merlin for hooking me on the promise of UO (and UWF) through his posts on the forum here. ^_^