• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Bowl of Potatoes

D

Dragonchilde

This made me do a triple take...

I've only been gardening for like, a day, so if I'm laughing over something all of you figured out years ago, forgive me. :)

I logged back in to my nursery to find that one of my bowls had become...

http://i42.***********/5caavt.jpg

...It changed to the proper tag a few seconds later, but it amused the heck out of me at the time. It did the same thing when I relogged a little bit later.

F

Fink

I saw that once, too. I thought "holy crap I've somehow grown a potato plant!" then reality set in.. :eek:

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the time, many many years ago, when the plant system was first put in, there was no easy way to change the art files. If the developers wanted new art for stuff they would have to patch the whole huge art file (and this back in the day when a good chunk of people still played by dialup) so generally art was only added when they did expansions. That's why there was so much rehueing of objects (some of which still exist even today - such as our plants) and relabeling of objects to. So many objects, like a bowl of potatoes, were reused and just renamed. The client gets the base art (bowl of potatoes) and then is told what to call it (bowl of dirt) and it changes, but if there's a bit of lag it can take a moment to change.

Art use has changed much over the years (including putting out big patches nowadays), but just thought you might be interested in that bit of history. :)

D

Dragonchilde

Now that's just cool; I knew about the adding new art thing, but didn't realize that they've made it different now. I thought it was hilarious either way. :) Thanks for the history lesson!

R

Rocklin

At the time, many many years ago, when the plant system was first put in, there was no easy way to change the art files. If the developers wanted new art for stuff they would have to patch the whole huge art file (and this back in the day when a good chunk of people still played by dialup) so generally art was only added when they did expansions. That's why there was so much rehueing of objects (some of which still exist even today - such as our plants) and relabeling of objects to. So many objects, like a bowl of potatoes, were reused and just renamed. The client gets the base art (bowl of potatoes) and then is told what to call it (bowl of dirt) and it changes, but if there's a bit of lag it can take a moment to change.

Art use has changed much over the years (including putting out big patches nowadays), but just thought you might be interested in that bit of history. :)
It is so good to hear from you Kitty. This is Priam from the old Ordo Sylvanus days. I am back again on Sonoma. I was saddened to see your Britain vendor gone. It was also an icon of the server to me. Good to see you posting.