• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

BOTS

G

None of the people in that house was hunting anyone, or looking for bots in particular. We noticed their behaviour, and started talking about it. The fact that they didn't even notice what happened to their sims, tells me the player(s) behind the sims wasn't anywhere near their computer(s).

R

Roger Wilco

Okay, we get it. Some dolt who doesn't know enough to bot in private came to your place and got caught. So what? Make a report or don't, I don't care. Unless the guy is a complete fool getting him banned accomplishes nothing. Personally I'd have just booted him and moved on but I'm not into making pointless dramabomb threads.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well honestly i didnt think there would be anyone against hunting down the bot users so that we could help straighten out this ga,e. But DING DING DING ur the winner. Maybe ur using bots? hmmmmmm. And maybe not, who cares, but something has to be done and if it takes me reporting everyone i see who is unresponsive and just keeps on a jammin away then i will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not against it no, quite the opposite in fact BUT you don't have all the facts in front of you.

Sure report any that you are SURE are botting not just anyone who dont talk to you.

Sometimes if I'm painting/jamming/typing at this time of day and cooking dinner I'll have my son click 'sell' then 'paint' and he is under strict instruction NOT to type anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg they were not reported for not talking - we all afk or use our own sims to code etc - peeps should read the posts properly

G

<blockquote><hr>

they may have been bots but if they just stood there they werent making simoleans so who did they hurt

how did this in fact effect anyone with them standing in a room

unless there is some new way to make simoleans by simply standing in a room who is being hurt by someone standing there

ill repeat ppl need to just play the game and leave the bot police work to ea

[/ QUOTE ]As you have so eloquently stated, you no longer play the game. As I see it, you don't have a dog in this fight, so - exactly what point are you trying to make?

To get back to the topic:

I don't go out of my way to look for bots to report. It's not that I don't care - I care a lot, because botters have actually ruined this game for everyone; but I don't let it dominate my gameplay either. However, if I do happen upon a bot house, or if some idiot has the audacity to run a bot in public view and I'm present to see it - you bet your ass I'm reporting it!

The sims standing around unattended for extended periods of time are not necessarily under control of a bot; usually, it's just someone overriding timeout and forgetting all about the game. Still, it represents the same lack of ethic typically shown by those who use bots, so I have little patience for these types either.

G

<blockquote><hr>

foxy, you want a Hero Cookie or something? If you've reported it - great - now shut it already.

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks didnt post for a hero cookie but i didnt expect to get insulted for trying to help either - (now shut already - charming)I have a right for my say and if the origial post was read correctly they wasnt reported for not answering Ims - I asked for the post to be shut a while Back - dont worry i wont bother in future

I

imported_Shirl1211

Ekkkk sorry...I left my sim unattend and almost forget about her while reading this post...i'll be bad though because she's still sitting there while I finish reading all of this.

V

vapd3317

Well yes Lady,...as a matter of fact the lack of chatting was indeed a reason for suspicion of being a botter, and a stated fact that certain players do and will hunt down people who don't speak with them. as in this quote;

(I have made it a personal go to keep an eye out for people who do not reply or say anything at all while they are jamming away or whatever. Afk is one thing but if someone is just afk they will eventually say something in response to an IM or in chat. I hope everyone makes a concerted effort like this to help get bots reported. Rock on with the fight!)

Im not a chatter. Im a guy dammit. Guys are known for being about as talkative as an old throw rug. Just spank the dust off me as y'all walk bye and let me be.
well,...maybe bring me some cheetos and cheap beer and I might say thak you, but I dont chat unless I got something to say. I've ignored more comments than Ive responded to, so I can only assume that I have been reported numerous times. Quite obviously based on the reply from Princess,...I will continue to be reported and look forward to it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

if her and the rest of the bot squad are actively searching for bots instead of just playing the game yes it is a group of ppl on a witch hunt

and yes she reported it as she stated in the post now who else gets reported

ppl that dont talk to her
ppl that dont respond
ppl that have bigger houses
ppl that have more stuff
when and where does it stop

when does it become a game again and she just plays it to enjoy it and talk to her friends

id suggest it would end when all the bots/witches are dead/gone

[/ QUOTE ]

You have blown it out of proportion - the first post said i reported and why shouldnt I - i dont go out hunting for them, if any of us suspect something we have the right to report, which is what I did, there is no need for rudeness (and she has a name)

I

imported_Shirl1211

Actually, after reading her post like all the others here, Foxy described a big percentage of us in her thread. If she did encounter this situation along with Lady Katherine then reporting was a good thing for the fact that "who locks down a sim on a money lot"... I'm done knit-pickin' ..My sim is going to need to eat soon.

G

Of course I don't suspect every non-chatter to be a bot. Then I might as well consider myself to be a bot at times too. They did, in fact, talk when they first landed, before their first round of maze. Lack of chatting was not what made me believe they were bots. It was their behaviour, and obvious lack of attention from the human(s) running them that made me wonder how fair and honest they played.

If they were not run by a bot, they sure violated the ToS by overriding the time-out feature, quite severely too. As far as I can remember, they were standing there close to an hour and a half, possibly more. I had other things to do, than keep my screen centered on them all the time. We had 25+ other sims to feed and sing to, not to mention cleaning up after them
. Not to mention umpteen IM's from people asking about what pays today, and how much others are making...

V

vapd3317

Lady,...I find absolutely no fault in your actions. As far as Im concerned, you reacted exactly how many others would have and I commend you for it. I have known you in game for a long time now and am honored by that fact. My issue was with the reply and the statement she made regarding the fact that she goes out of her way looking for people that dont respond.

You on the other hand, are an awesome hostess/friend and a sincere pleasure to have around.

V

vapd3317

Oh quit sucking up Shirl and go get me some cheetos and beer...lol

L

Laverne

<blockquote><hr>

My issue was with the OP and the statement she made regarding the fact that she goes out of her way looking for people that dont respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vap,

Where did the OP state this?

I

imported_Shirl1211

Noooo wayyyy VAPD. The last time I did that and stood next to you jamming you made some funny noises and didn't even say "cuse me".

G

Quoted OP<blockquote><hr>

I have just witnessed along with other what looks like bots running in a house - ive reported in game - they have been standing for nearly a hour now - I hope they are caught

I would like to add that the owner had no knowledge of this till they stopped playing and was standing there - we are leaving them there in time perhaps they will need a revivie lmao

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted princessreyna<blockquote><hr>

I have made it a personal go to keep an eye out for people who do not reply or say anything at all while they are jamming away or whatever. Afk is one thing but if someone is just afk they will eventually say something in response to an IM or in chat. I hope everyone makes a concerted effort like this to help get bots reported. Rock on with the fight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so there will be no misunderstandings...

V

vapd3317

thank you Lady. And I stand corrected Laverne, Thank you also for pointing that out. The corrections were made to my previous replies.

G

Can we get a Dev's response to all that has been stated in this thread?

G

You're a guy...and therefore excused. Don't drink all our beer, please...and save some cheetos for me, I feel like having a midnight snack

Btw, you people need to tell me who you are in game. I'm not a mindreader, y'know

But seriously, with this many replies it's obvious this issue concerns a lot of people. You (general you here) can say what you want, but botting is a major problem in all the online games I've played. It does ruin the gameplay of the honest players. With the dynamic payouts in EA-Land, it affects us all.

Edit: grammatical issues o_O

G

<blockquote><hr>

Btw, you people need to tell me who you are in game. I'm not a mindreader, y'know

[/ QUOTE ]I'm Katheryne... with a "Y".

<blockquote><hr>

But seriously, with this many replies its obvious this issue concerns a lot of people. You (general you here) can say what you want, but botting is a major problem in all the online games I've played. It does ruin the gameplay of the honest players. With the dynamic payouts in EA-Land, it affects us all.

[/ QUOTE ]It is currently affecting us all. There is not one person in this forum right now who can even try to claim that much of the problems we're all experiencing with payouts and general money issues is NOT directly attributable to bots!

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Rot Roh...Do ya remember Critter?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/i] There is not one person in this forum right now who can even try to claim that much of the problems we're all experiencing with payouts and general money issues is NOT directly attributable to bots!

[/ QUOTE ]

The devs have stated they are working on the bot issue. Right? If they do not, then the problem for us honest players is with the dynamic payout system. We have no control over bots in the game. We can only hope the the devs can stop the botting. In the meantime, we can all suffer the consequences -- I just hope this won't the the future.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/i] There is not one person in this forum right now who can even try to claim that much of the problems we're all experiencing with payouts and general money issues is NOT directly attributable to bots!

[/ QUOTE ]

The devs have stated they are working on the bot issue. Right? If they do not, then the problem for us honest players is with the dynamic payout system. We have no control over bots in the game. We can only hope the the devs can stop the botting. In the meantime, we can all suffer the consequences -- I just hope this won't the the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly it has to be handled properly. I always find myself shocked when I find out certain ppl bot. B/c they seem so pro game. For example on another site I visit there is a bot come out thread. I guarantee that if there were a similar thread here you would be shocked at who your friends and neighbors are that run bots. The stories I've heard about many I see posting even in this thread make me
. I Mean not b/c bots scare me or anything, but the ppl who sit here all "OMG OMG" and run their bots are what I find to be the best part of it all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Honestly it has to be handled properly. I always find myself shocked when I find out certain ppl bot. B/c they seem so pro game. For example on another site I visit there is a bot come out thread. I guarantee that if there were a similar thread here you would be shocked at who your friends and neighbors are that run bots. The stories I've heard about many I see posting even in this thread make me
. I Mean not b/c bots scare me or anything, but the ppl who sit here all "OMG OMG" and run their bots are what I find to be the best part of it all.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm really not all that surprised. Sometimes, it's really not all that hard to tell who the botters are whenever a thread like this pops up.

It IS pretty sad, though, that - even in the current state of the game - there are still those who try to defend such reprehensible acts. It's just proof that greed knows no bounds.

G

Nope it doesn't. I'm going out on a limb here saying you guys will just have to trust EA for whatever they have up their sleeves to remedy the problems within game.

And again I say this with the basis that we don't allow previous teams efforts to act as a resume to people who had nothing to do with those prior efforts.

Although I do doubt that it will be taken into consideration.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

No thanks didnt post for a hero cookie but i didnt expect to get insulted for trying to help either - (now shut already - charming)I have a right for my say and if the origial post was read correctly they wasnt reported for not answering Ims - I asked for the post to be shut a while Back - dont worry i wont bother in future

[/ QUOTE ]

Foxy, I know the attacks are hurtfull but please don't let it discourage you. I made a big math error on one of my post and I swear, I was eatten up and spit out by many. All I wanted was a lttle help too. lol I get a bit nasty here too but I think alot of it comes from the twist the game has taken since EALand. I know you we're trying to help so just ignore some of the lame brains that never have any good info to post and leave just wiseazz remarks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I'm really not all that surprised. Sometimes, it's really not all that hard to tell who the botters are whenever a thread like this pops up.

It IS pretty sad, though, that - even in the current state of the game - there are still those who try to defend such reprehensible acts. It's just proof that greed knows no bounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not make the mistake of grouping those who see the silliness in some of these "Reports" with those who are are *actually* defending botters.
m..kay?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Let's not make the mistake of grouping those who see the silliness in some of these "Reports" with those who are are *actually* defending botters.
m..kay?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not grouping anybody anywhere, nor am I naming names. I'm just making my own calculated observations - nothing more.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes, it's really not all that hard to tell who the botters are whenever a thread like this pops up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really, Sherlock?

H

Honey Doo

lol, this is funnny, cuz i have to think that if someone was botting it, they would do it in a privte house, their own maybe??
so no other simmies gets in the way of their routine.
how many times have we all qued up our sims to green go do a little rl green ourself, come back to only find one the the steps was skipped cuz another sim got to the shower first? lol
no clue why someone would leave their sims standing around for an hour like that but hey guess i would have to call that sim abuse lol

these are just my own thoughts if i were a botter lol hummm would i put myself in that situtation? where i could be caught? or run the chance of owner shutting house down on me? or having other simmies get in the way of one of the greening steps, cuz we all know, if your little sim goes red, hum no more pizza! lol
just some thoughts, lol

O

ozzynowgone

im not defending botting by any means i just think another problem with this game has always been ppl too worried about what others are doing instead of just playing the game as was intended

i used to get reported constantly for supposedly being a bot just cause i had number 1 house

i have never had a bot i always played the game to relax in the evening never worried what thers might or might not be doing

was none of my business i let ea do their job and worry about bots

G

<blockquote><hr>

lol, this is funnny, cuz i have to think that if someone was botting it, they would do it in a privte house, their own maybe??
so no other simmies gets in the way of their routine.
how many times have we all qued up our sims to green go do a little rl green ourself, come back to only find one the the steps was skipped cuz another sim got to the shower first? lol
no clue why someone would leave their sims standing around for an hour like that but hey guess i would have to call that sim abuse lol

these are just my own thoughts if i were a botter lol hummm would i put myself in that situtation? where i could be caught? or run the chance of owner shutting house down on me? or having other simmies get in the way of one of the greening steps, cuz we all know, if your little sim goes red, hum no more pizza! lol
just some thoughts, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

YOu dont green with all bots as fair as i am aware - usually just the skilling one- but yes silly in a public place which is prob why they in their own house now - any they say *what u do in your own house is your own business * so good luck to em i just like the mockers dont care no more.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

lol,

these are just my own thoughts if i were a botter lol hummm would i put myself in that situtation? where i could be caught?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO..If botters are botting.. *which we know is against the rules* I don't think they really care about getting caught and also I might add, one of the people who post in this forum stated that there are ways around the greening. We aren't as informed on how bot's are ran unless we know the programs so I think it's a bit unfair to use assumptions when you disagree.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackiee, it sure sounds like your information would be of use to Lee and the other devs. I hope you share your first hand knowledge of players who are botting with them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackiee, it sure sounds like your information would be of use to Lee and the other devs. I hope you share your first hand knowledge of players who are botting with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard to find information on how these bots work, a 30 second search and you can find out heaps. I've looked several times, spoken to people about them, read articles and interviews that were done with some of these people. Even if your only a fair sort of programmer with that information you can figure out the rest. What I can tell you is these bots will do it all, greening and all. There was one I read about one time that would even log you out at maintenance time and back in afterwards. They can do up to 12 accounts at the same time. Meaning 3 lots of pizza or 6 maze or 4 code. They can skill multiple sims. they can detect a EA communication and answer it, shut down if detected.
Information I found in a search just a few seconds ago will tell you all this. Except I am not sure if the one I found is the one I saw a while back that said it could log you in out. That one I remember thinking " hell this thing could run non stop, 7 days a week unattended.

G

I find it so funny to read ppls posts about botting....
So many of the big complainers are botters themselves.
I, myself.. havent ever botted. When I did play the game.. I actually played it. I think those that do bot and say that they are so against it here.. are hilarious! No matter what game you play.. ppl will bot in one way or another.
I play Pirates of the Caribbean and they have botters who build up their weapon levels. Im sure that in WoW and EQ..there are botters. I dont think in this computer age you can ever get away with ppl that are cheating. If the devs do think of a way to get rid of the botters.. they will only think of new ways to bot. I dont think you can ever get rid of it entirely.

P

PB Three

Excuse me, Anna, but I really don't think so.

You can call me a 'big complainer' about bots, as I admit it is likely true. What you can't exactly do without massive proof, is make any form of generalization about complainers also being botters. Unless of course the're maniacs, which isn't the case here AFAIK.

Show me some real proof &amp; I may change my mind.

PB Three

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I really just haven't the energy to keep beating this dead horse issue.

First off, I wish the terminology would be changed. Bot is used for everything if it involves multiple account holders. Botting stems from the use of 3rd party software.

It HAS been acknowledged by TPTB that there are many multiple account holders and that we play them at the same time. If it is frowned on by EA for us to have them, then EA should speak up so we can cancel them. 3rd party software is prohibited. so EA needs to create 3rd party software detection devices and then go after those using them.

However,I do have to say though that 3rd party 'money making' programs are probably greatly outnumbered by the folks using those sim-sitter programs or those pet-finder ones.

Avatar sitter folks are harder to find because when you land their sims will respond with some 'pre-made' greeting and then some excuse why they aren't responding. Most newer players don't even realize there's no one there. They just think they are getting bad service and leave. I REALLY think it's why some of the 'older' players yell out for serenades....just to see if anyone is really there or the im you.

I think that with the security of being able to purchase simoleans directly from EA, there isn't going to be a reason for folks to deal in the sales of simoleans.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You can call me a 'big complainer' about bots, as I admit it is likely true. What you can't exactly do without massive proof, is make any form of generalization about complainers also being botters. Unless of course the're maniacs, which isn't the case here AFAIK.

PB Three

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.. whoever said you were a botter?
If I were to name names.. this thread would erupt and be closed.
I wont "out" anyone here.. but you would be surprised at the names of botters that I know of.... or maybe not surprised.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

PB Three

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.. whoever said you were a botter?
If I were to name names.. this thread would erupt and be closed.
I wont "out" anyone here.. but you would be surprised at the names of botters that I know of.... or maybe not surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's just enflame this thread a bit more....what would that accomplish other then the thread being closed?

I just find it ironic that everyone wants to talk about the 3rd party money software when there are many players that are purchasing or using items that have been brought into the game via use of 3rd party software programs.

G

I said I wont name any names...
and PB... I didnt even reply to you.. so why are you acting like I did?
I say big complainers and you naturally think Im talking about you? Hardly!
Over all the years of people complainging about bots... I wouldnt even mention your name in the group of the big complainers.. so dont worry.
Since I replied to Dali.. I guess that is why you had to chime in on it.
Whatever.
back on topic:
nobody is going to be able to completely stop the bots.. as long as there are enterprising bot program writers... there will be problems in games with them.

P

PB Three

I said that to mention what seems to me is a generalization.

Now that you mentioned Dali, I'm going to have to explain what happened at Pit forums. (I refuse to call it ".calm".) lol

P.S. I'm glad you kept the heat down, here.

Minor edit: Corrected phrasing a tad.

EDIT: Anna, you are right, bots can't be 100% stopped, but I think that they can be limited. At least to a degree.

PB Three

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I find it so funny to read ppls posts about botting....
So many of the big complainers are botters themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? If you know specifically who these botters are then shame on you for not reporting that info to the correct forums. Especially when this issue seems to be the hardcore of complaints in this game! It's hard to comprehend that so many people know so much about botters and programs than the Dev's. I doubt that because i'm still getting $52 on a jam with a maxed skill.....

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

back on topic:
nobody is going to be able to completely stop the bots.. as long as there are enterprising bot program writers... there will be problems in games with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever hear of a 'passive aggressive' stance? It's saying something in a particular manner that everyone gets what you mean. But if anyone responds, the meaning can be shifted to sound like the responder is the one at fault?

But really the problem IS the program writers. EA would need to develope something that will detect the 3rd party, track it and then eliminate the players using them.

HOWEVER, I think the best solution is not to worry so much about botters and concentrate more on making 'drains' and continual development of future 'drains'.

Consistently bringing new objects and things into the game will not only drain the excesses of simoleans but it will be fun for everyone as a whole.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I said I wont name any names...
and PB... I didnt even reply to you.. so why are you acting like I did?
I say big complainers and you naturally think Im talking about you? Hardly!
Over all the years of people complainging about bots... I wouldnt even mention your name in the group of the big complainers.. so dont worry.
Since I replied to Dali.. I guess that is why you had to chime in on it.
Whatever.
back on topic:

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have positive info regarding people who actually run bots (not just stand around in their own pee), then share it with the devs instead of this not-very-subtle "I know something you don't know" tease that casts a shadow on everyone that speaks out.

N

NightFlyer

I agree... if you people know who all these botters are why are you not reporting them to EA?

Or, for that matter, why isn't EA checking out the site and taking action against the admitted botters?

I still have to conclude that EA isn't going after botters very agressively. That's the real shame.

S

Simsaholic

Well damn I hope you never have to cook, go to the bathroom, let the dog out, referee the kids or check on the laundry when you're trying to play lest you be accused of being a 'Bot!

I

imported_julilyn

good God people stand down.

maybe its not EVERYONE who complains about botting bots. I don't think Annabanana said that at all.

I have been here since Beta, I have at one time played for hours every day for years, I have been on these boards since the begaining of thier exsistance and I have Modded on them and seen "behind the scenes" conversations , AND I have a very good memory when it comes to past situations and conversations.

I know of many people a who are admitted scammers,botters and otherwise "cheaters" both by being caught and by thier own admission. some are pretty proud of it as a matter of fact, many are still around today and have been pulling the same tricks for a long long time.

I also know of a few who were caught , busted and no longer post or play. I know of some, who even though there are screen shots, chat logs and witnesses,will deny any wrong doing till death. some are reported and disapear, some are reported numberously and still continue on.

Anna shouldn't have to "prove" to you that a lot of the complainers "bot" it's pretty clear to many . and its pretty common knowledge to those who have been around a while. Eventually, they will be caught and stopped. Right now the game has more pressing issues then seeking out the low lifes.

N

NightFlyer

I agree with most of your post with the exception of...

"Right now the game has more pressing issues then seeking out the low lifes..."

I believe there is no more pressing issue than this (3rd party program bots), especially in light of the "0 sum economy".

This should have been addressed a long time ago and needs to be addressed now.

As always, I won't be holding my breath.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Perhaps you should read the comment again. She said it herself! BTW, being around in the beta days doesn't make one any wiser to BOTS. There still at large! I might add that I have played this game since Feb 2003 and it always has been an issue that people complain about. Apparently that is the main reason payouts are low today so people are going to complain. It effects gameplay unless of course you don't need simoleans.