• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Books advertising websites

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Great Lakes shard. Usually the books dropped advertising websites are from gold/resource sellers. This morning, I found a bunch advertising a website selling dupes. The books also offer to dupe any item for 5 million gold. I guess dropping these kind of books is not illegal, but I feel it is certainly bending the rules a lot. These new ones are just blatant. I guess there is not much as a player that I can do. I will keep tossing them in the trash.

Can GMs tell who is dropping them? Can I do anything more to help stop this abuse? I love UO, and hate to see this kind of crap happening.

Borric

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm surprised EA hasn't run a sting operation to hunt these folks down.

Dropping books advertising an external website is definitely against the ToS. I've been cleaning them up on Pacific for about a month now. I don't see them on Napa much, so either nobody is dropping them there or someone else is cleaning them up before I see them.

K

Kurgan

I play on Great Lakes shard. Usually the books dropped advertising websites are from gold/resource sellers. This morning, I found a bunch advertising a website selling dupes. The books also offer to dupe any item for 5 million gold. I guess dropping these kind of books is not illegal, but I feel it is certainly bending the rules a lot. These new ones are just blatant. I guess there is not much as a player that I can do. I will keep tossing them in the trash.

Can GMs tell who is dropping them? Can I do anything more to help stop this abuse? I love UO, and hate to see this kind of crap happening.

Borric
From what I remember. GM's can not tell who wrote the book.
As it does not keep a log of who wrote it, like the BBS do.
I would send a page a GM and send email to EA about this.
As they might be able to do something about the website.
You never know.

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My bad. The books do not have any website listed. I am posting screen shots here. If this is against any rules here at stratics, I apologize, and please delete this thread if so.

*removed* in the spirit of innocent until proven guilty.

Borric

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, that kind of looks like someone trying to slander that vendor house operation by placing fake books to make it look like they dupe.

Which is not to say that that particular vendor house operation isn't a little sketchy anyway, and not to say that there's an almost equal chance that those books are legit.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a thread a while back about a couple pairs of Inquisitors that were being sold on several different shards that had the same unique durability. The OP of that thread had mentioned that he bought a pair from this vendor and shortly afterwards another identical pair was put up for sale again. I'm pretty sure the screenshot was of the vendor/vendor house name thats listed in the book. I would guess its someone that wants to get either the vendor banned, wants to warn others, or just has a grudge against the vendor.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Borric
Books advertising websites are specifically against the rules. (You are not to use UO as a platform for advertising your RL business). That's just for starters...

I've been appalled at the the number of blatantly illegal 'businesses' that work overtime to litter the countryside with said books. I pick them up at every opportunity and throw them in the nearest trash barrel - and I revere books!

I have often wondered why they are not ordered to cease and desist.

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fell like a Nazi, but I do trash the books I find. There have been some that are recruiting for the RP guild on Europa, that I leave alone. The rest go into the trash. I actually followed one guy who was dropping books. He dropped them, I picked em up and trashed them. He come up to me and calls me a sico. Not sure if that is sick-o or psycho, but he put me in his journal! WOOT! I'm famous! LOL!

Borric

On a side note. One time there were books that when moused over said "April Fools Contest". When I double clicked to open it, the title changed to the web site name. I thought that was weird.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a rather obnoxious abuse of books.

Perhaps, if the price of books (and everything else) was adjusted for inflation, it might not be exploited so badly. They probably use trial accounts to do this so banning them will do little.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a rather obnoxious abuse of books.

Perhaps, if the price of books (and everything else) was adjusted for inflation, it might not be exploited so badly. They probably use trial accounts to do this so banning them will do little.
Maybe EA could revoke the ability to drop books except in bank boxes or trash cans from trial accounts.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be nice is if we had community bulletin boards at each bank, but make it where either EM's or UO personnel would be the only ones that could post on it. If you had an event you wanted posted, you had to submit the request a week before and each Sunday the board gets cleared and the current weeks activities are posted.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I pick them all up and turn them in for collection points

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see those books all the time on Atl... I usually just erase everything in them, or else I trash them or reuse them to keep track of all my crap, but it's getting annoying walking around and seeing book after book all over Luna

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm surprised EA hasn't run a sting operation to hunt these folks down.

Dropping books advertising an external website is definitely against the ToS. I've been cleaning them up on Pacific for about a month now. I don't see them on Napa much, so either nobody is dropping them there or someone else is cleaning them up before I see them.
rolleyes:
many get erased & turned into blank books (???) :spider:
many get turned in for points (know 2 that do this) :scholar:
many get picked up & just trashed :gun:

That's where napa's go :thumbsup:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On LS I just sell them back to the NPC to pay for the items to fill those pesky normal weapon BODs. I caught the guy and seen where he stops and hides. Can here the rustling of pages. If an empty books are placed near his location on the ground he auto marks the books. Paging the GM and giving this no brainer proof well you know the deal...................they are as useful as bulls nuts on a field mouse.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Whenever I'm in Luna training my skills I pick all that garbage up and throw it in the trash...... Infact the guy runs a script to place them too.....
Runs through town on a regular basis..... I just kept going out and throwing them away again as soon as he left.