• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] BOD drop changed?

• Thread starter broketail
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

broketail

I know it's probably the RNG, but lately the "quality" of my BOD drops has been poor. While I fill many on my own, I do fill the non exceptional with venor items.

The other day I filled 20+ Hammer or POF bods, and turned them in together. I received several verite, aggy, and val "combineable" BOD's while turning them in. Thinking the RNG gods were happy that day, I went back and picked up 30 or so nonexceptional weapon bods and turned them in. Nothing better than dull...

Just wonderin' if something has changed? Thanks!

5% Luck

I have not noticed a change in the bod drops but what i did notice since ive been back and started my bods over again was I simply can not fill out all my colored bods and my copper-aggy(I dont even touch verite/val) just continue to pile up. Even the dull list is just geting lengthier day by day.

I prospect and tend only the veins im seeking to save time (no gargs pick no fighting skill) and still I find myself not able to turn over my bods to something useful.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I find is that certain color/item/count combinations are rarer than others.

For example (made up off the top of my head for illustrative purposes):
I might have 5 large 15 count gold chainmail BODs, and 9 chests and 11 legs that go into them, but 0 coifs. Very annoying.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't trade if the specific bod is non-existant :(

B

broketail

Or, where to trade? There used to be a UO Auction site, UO gold changing hands, but Is there a "trade" venue, or method?

5% Luck

Or, where to trade? There used to be a UO Auction site, UO gold changing hands, but Is there a "trade" venue, or method?
Afaik not anymore. You could start up a few threads on your servers trade forums. See if theres any.. action if you know what i mean!

As for myself I have stopped filling any larges except for 60 hammers and val hammers. The rest get recycled for new ones.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just recycled a normal weapon bod and got another one that gave me back a bronze runic

5% Luck

I tend to keep around 450 bods on hand separated into 2 books. One for iron and on for colored. Then I do have a save book for larges that are 60 hammers and val hammers but it never gets big 20-30 bods tops. Once i fill in all the iron around 1/2 of my stock a few times. I am left with almost purely colored bods. Hopefully by that time I have gathered enough colored ingots to fill those bods and recycle those colored bods as well.

I never do...

What ends up happening is my colored bod book gets bigger and bigger until I have no iron bods left and only iron ingots to fill them with.

Thats when the cycle begins again. Mining to fill colors bods to recycle into iron bods to recycle into powder and hammers.

All this is to say I prospect almost every vein. The exceptions are when a particular color is exceeding a comparable limit based on my total bod count(500). I also never mine shadow ore at all. If a vein is dull it stays dull. If a vein is shadow it goes copper, everything else gets prospected. I hunt the shadow eles in yatsomoto for all my shadow needs and THAT is the only color that does not build up past the limits I set as acceptable(about 150 bods in one color far exceeds this limit).

This is where i end up buying ingots and the goal is not to do that. Last week I found I had more copper bods then I felt was acceptable. Around 100. I went out and paid a few million gold, gold my miner never made, for copper ingots. Now my copper bods have fallen in line. Next my dull bods are through the roof and I keep telling myself no Luck no man almost every vein prospects to dull. It will work.

But no.. it doesnt.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to keep around 450 bods on hand separated into 2 books.
I have around 35 bod storage vendors packed full of bod books, I have no idea how many bods that works out to be.

Even then I have never gotten a runic hammer better than bronze. And when I claim that certain color/count/item combinations are rare, I'm 99.9% certain it's true.

I have no idea how some vendors manage to sell so many val hammers without duping.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I ran my tests about a couple years ago, the drops came as advertised, to within 0.2% (with a 2500 BOD sample, that's closer than I expected).

Do remember that there are bonuses for being 110 or 120 for turn ins.

(note that half are normal, half are exceptional. Apparently the 10% bonus that GM smiths were supposed to get to that either was never implemented, or accidentally lost. Also, 8% are supposed to be LBODs, but the existence of the non-combinables drops the effective number down to between 7.5% and 8%)

70-109.9 skill: 50% weapons, 25% Iron armor, 25% colored armor
110-119.9 skill: 50% weapons, 15% Iron armor, 35% colored armor
120 skill: 50% weapons, 5% Iron armor, 45% colored armor

The highest reward one can get from a small BOD is a 115 PS, with the highest desirable one being a Bronze Runic.

There are 24 "armor" small BODs, but that breaks down to 13 for LBODs, and 11 non-combinables.
Non-combinables and smalls for larges that have worthless rewards break down as follows-

1. Normal: most are junk, but...
a. Bronze 20-count & Gold 10 & 15, have a 20% chance for POF, if you have the ingots to burn (and if you use a lot of garg picks and prospector tools for mining, it's best to use the 20% POF BODs as the source, to reduce waste)
b. Gold 20-count & agapite 10 & 15, are the most desirable of the normals, being 90% POF, 10% +5 mining gloves (the latter, for your imbuer to play with, to get you decent pairs to wear or sell, which you'd enhance after imbuing to go for 140 luck for niter/saltpeter miners)
c. Keep 1 or 2 sets of 20-count Fencing weapon smalls for the off chance that you get an normal 20-count LBOD (iron's cheap, and this is one of the few iron LBODs that gives a POF chance). These are the only weapon BODs worth keeping.
d. Similarly, keep 1-2 sets of normal iron plate smalls for if their larges drop. The 10 & 15 counts have a 20% POF chance, the 20-count has a 90% chance. And, if you're not 120 yet, you can use filling these as part of your training regimen, turning in any extras for new BODs.
e. if you REALLY have dull or shadow ingots to waste, the normal ringmail LBODs of those metals have the same POF chance as the exceptional smalls of the same type (see below).

2. Exceptional BODs:
a. Dull Copper 10 & 15 count have a 20% chance of POF, but are so common as drops you could easily run yourself and ingot vendors out of DC if you fill them all.
b. DC 20 count, and Shadow 10 & 15 count, have 90% POF/10% glove chances.
c. Gold 15 count has 10% chance of the rare colored anvil, and a larger chance for a shadow hammer
d. Agapite 15 count has a 10% chance of an anvil as well, and a larger chance for a copper hammer
e. Agapite 20-count, and Verite 10 & 15, drop bronze hammers (used to craft recipe items to unravel for relic fragments).
f. the range between "b." & "c." drops DC & shadow hammers, for the people using them to make imbuing "blanks" (trying for desired or replacable mods, along with elemental damage)
g. the range between "c." & "d." gives copper hammers, which have a lesser chance of producing relic fragments by the same method listed in "e."

The chance for ANY COMBINABLE colored EX small armor BOD is

(percent from Smith skill) * 50%{the Ex chance) * 13/24

or

(12.5% * 13/24) for up to 109.9 (or, about 6.77%)
(17.5% * 13/24) for 110-119.9 (or, about 9.48%)
(22.5% * 13/24) for 120 (12.1875%)

for a specific metal, you'd then have to multiply by the chance of a drop. Number the metals, starting from the rarest down, 1 (valorite) through 8 (DC); multiply that number by 2.8% to get the approximate chance for that specific metal.

So, at 120 Smith, the chance for pulling a combinable Ex Valorite BOD is about 0.34% by the original rules (about 1 in 300 BOD pulls). However, the chance for pulling valorite was supposedly increased slightly (but not to the level of of verite) 5 or so years ago, so that could be as high as 0.5% (that's, on average, 1 in 200 BODs) - unsure of the exact amount.

Now, as to the commonality of Valorite hammers, while many of them for sale are dupes, there's also the fact that BODs from the Gold Hammer level and higher can get bumped 1 to 4 reward levels (at least, confirmed) randomly about 10-20% of the time, so that an Agapite hammer BOD could produce a Valorite hammer instead (or a Verite, or an ASH +60, etc). There's been one or two unconfirmed reports of a 5-step bump (gold hammer to Valorite), but again, that's without real confirmation. This has increased the supply for both legit and scripter/duper origin hammers.

Tailor BODs have similar factors, but have become dirt cheap from Barbed kits being about 100 times easier to get than Verite or Valorite hammers (half as many BODs, all combinable with larges, the top LBODs capable of 1-3 step bumps, and the guaranteed Barbed kit larges numbering EIGHTEEN, 2 of which are SPINED larges). On the other hand, there's NO reward worth getting from tailor smalls, and tailor BODs are only exceptional 1/3 of the time (instead of 1/2 like the smith BODs). The most desirable Tailor rewards are now not the Barbed runics, but clothing bless deeds (for use on tangle, crimson cincture, and a plethora of hats, sashes, cloaks, robes and footwear) - and those come from 5-part 20-count cloth & leather EX larges, and 6-part normal 20-count leather larges, as well as a number of higher larges (a total of 15 LBODs in all, only 2 of them Barbed leather). On some shards, it's gotten to the point to where barbed runics cost less than a CBD.

A

Annienox

so what is the percent if you equip a +60 hammer when your turning in bods

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
equiping a 60+ Ash hammer for BOD turn-ins does nothing.....will not increase your chance of getting colored BODS. The only use for 60+ Ash is for enhancing, i.e. increases your chance to be successful on the enhance.....

A

Annienox

thank you for clearifing that iv been holding the same 60 hammer for 5 years now lol