• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] BoD collecting: Is 70/75 enough or is GM better?

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, at level 70 you can get large BoDs.
And I know that you cannot get a BoD for an item that exceeds the skill you have. For example, at level 70 I cannot expect to receive a BoD for a platemail tunic, since this requires 75 skill to craft.

But does the skill affect more than these two? I'm curious whether anyone has tested what kind of BoDs they get at level 70/75 compared to GM.
Do you have a higher chance of getting a Large BoD at level 70 compared to GM?
Do you have a higher chance of getting a small Platemail tunic iron BoD at level 75 compared to GM?
I don't care about BoDs in rare colours since you can bribe these anyway, so iron for blacksmithing, normal leather for tailoring, etc. will do fine.

I'm simply asking this for the sake of collecting BoDs. One Legendary blacksmith can fill in all the BoDs while other low-level smiths only collect BoDs.

Many thanks for any helpful information.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
one of my BOD characters that has 70 skill
gets more Large BODs than my 120 blacksmith does
and usually gets Platemail BODs
I believe they are normal & not exceptional

I didn't normally pay attention to that
because I usually take them straight to the Large BOD book.
However, in November I was leaving BOD chars in Zento.
And the 70 skill got 6 in one week
& my 120 skill got probably 2 or 3 in the whole month of November.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure about the newer skills, but...

Tailoring: BODs are influenced by skill, at least up to 100. Evidence during testing seems to indicate you're more likely to get cloth or normal leather BODs at or near your skill level below 70, and it continues to an extent afterward (but less pronounced) once you hit the ability to get colored BODs. And, Tailor is wonky in other regards (the point system is radically different than all the other skills, and an exceptional BOD is a 1 in 3 chance, not 1 in 2).

Blacksmith REALLY needs to be taken as high as you can get it.
1. For the crafter, you get +1% to enhancing success for every 10 points over GM
2. For pulling BODs, the following numbers apply.
  • At 70 Blacksmith skill, through 109.9 Blacksmith skill (real - hammers don't affect BOD pulls). 50% of BOD pulls are Weapons, 25% are Iron armor, shields & helmets, and 25% are colored armor, shields and helmets.
  • At 110 Blacksmith skill, through 119.9 Blacksmith skill. 50% of BOD pulls are Weapons, 15% are Iron armor, shields & helmets, and 35% are colored armor, shields and helmets.
  • At 120 Blacksmith skill, 50% of BOD pulls are Weapons, 5% are Iron armor, shields & helmets, and 45% are colored armor, shields and helmets.
  • In all cases, 70-120, the chance of an LBOD is 8% and the exceptional chance is 50% (it was originally supposed to be 60% for smiths over GM, but sometime in the time period between the 2005 & 2007 BOD tweaks, the bonus to exceptional went away, as determined by testing done in 2008).

Last edited:

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many thanks to you both for your advice. That helps a lot.
I always had one character with the legendary crafting skills and on the same account 2 more characters with the other crafting skills + magery + musicianship. If necessary, these can transfer their skills via soulstone to the legendary crafter.
But all my other crafters on my 2nd and 3rd account can suffice with 75 blacksmith skill and 70 any other crafting skill to pull a maximum of Large BoDs and a minimum of rare colour BoDs.
Templates would be:
Alchemy 70
Blacksmith 75
Bowcraft 70
Carpentry 70
Cooking 70
Inscription 70
Tailor 70
Tinker 70
The rest of the points will go into 70 Magery and 70 Meditation simply for practical reasons such as recalling to the NPCs.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On my mule (my Carpenter, Tinker, Alchemist and Imbuer, with Tailor and Smith as you have them) I did the following:

Usually wears +15 (or +20) Magery Ring, +15 (0r +20) Magery Bracelet, +15 Magery Spellbook (lots of event ones out there, from ToT and the undead events), and Treatise on Alchemy talisman (+5 Magery), with real skill to put me to 90-100. I THINK I've found at least one +20 magery jewelry as loot and gave it to him. I know that I routinely use him for those events where there's a per person or per account drop, as his ability to cast EVs regularly (especially from scrolls) gives him more DPS than the other crafters and RP characters on the account (4 other crafters (one of which is the account's designated shard hopper), a half-trained samurai, and a former auction staffer).

As Magery and Med are the two skills you can add from equipment, and you really don't intend for that BOD runner to see combat, remember that you can get 50 Magery easily from equipment (60 if you find +20 jewelry for both slots), and 40+ Med from equipment as well (if you can fit Med onto the Magery jewelry with imbuing, plus spell-woven britches). That's not counting things like med on spellbooks (as you don't need to have the +magery spellbook when inscribing, you can switch out). That can let you max out several of the skills that cap out at 100 (including Magery or Med), or even take Blacksmith to 120 for better BODs, with the real skill points saved.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, I hadn't thought of equipment to up a skill such as magery. That should definitely enable me to create BoD crafters that meet my precise requirements.

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
As my extra BoD runner characters are just to collect BoDs and do no crafting, I decided to go with: 75 Blacksmithing. 70 all other skills, plus some magery for getting around. Now if I'm understanding this correctly the 75 Blacksmith has as much of a chance to pull a large BoD as a 120 Blacksmith however, they will be iron not colored ores? Does this hold true in the other areas as well? Or are the rest of the skills good at 70?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any time over 70 has a chance to be a colored BOD. it's just that half of all smith BODS are iron weapons, half of all armor BODs are iron (until you get to 110 skill), half of armor small BODs have no large, and that there are 5 Weapon larges to only 3 armor larges. This can make colored Smith LBODs seem few and far between before 120 skill. Hilariously, there was a bug before 2007 where iron armor LBODs were spawning extremely rarely (someone editing code accidentally had left off a closing ")" in a formula).

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
FYI I've gotten two platemail Tunic small BoDs both in iron and one large platemail BoD, on my 70.1 Blacksmithing BoD collector, in recent weeks so it seems that even in Blacksmithing 70.1 is enough to get all types of BoDs at least in iron.

Last edited: