• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Block trail accounts from writing books!!

• Thread starter DarkScripture
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

DarkScripture

:cursing:
It is ruining UO a little at a time for these :loser:trail account book scripts that drop the gold selling websites. If books were :wall:restricted to paying accounts then you would not see a char named "asdfg" dropping these all over 3 times a day.
What do you guys think about that :talktothehand:restriction?:thumbsup:

C

Coppelia

Nerf snails and slugs with their trail accounts!

O

Old Man of UO

:cursing:
It is ruining UO a little at a time for these :loser:trail account book scripts that drop the gold selling websites. If books were :wall:restricted to paying accounts then you would not see a char named "asdfg" dropping these all over 3 times a day.
What do you guys think about that :talktothehand:restriction?:thumbsup:
I sort of agree with what you are saying, but they would just find another way to do the same thing. For example, they would put the script on runes and drop runes all over the place. Would you then ban trial accounts from marking runes? Or they would have permanent accounts write the books and use the trial accounts to drop them. Would you ban the permanent accounts because the trial account dropped the books?

I don't have a better answer, but think this would only be a temporary solution.

D

Deb

Depending on the type of book, I just pick em up and turn them in
to library or the trash.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree, the books are very annoying. it would be too much trouble to disable inscribe and book use on trial accounts tho. only thing i could think of is make the decay time on books very fast. so they disappear shortly after dropping, but then good players that wish to promote a in game event would suffer and like ol man said, the trial accts would switch to runes or engrave bags or something else. its a tricky situation.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the books any different from people dropping runes? Regardless of whats on them, I just ignore them.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disallowing trial accounts from using books will not make -any- difference.

The mass droppings of books, runes, etc. reflects a much larger issue: Neglect of economy in Ultima Online.

In brief, the prices of everything that NPC sells needs to be raised. A single book should cost no less than 10K gold when purchased from NPC. We have had years of inflation where 1 Billion now is worth what 1 million used to be. Yet, NPC suppliers have remained inflation proof and hence, the gross abuse.

Cheers.

B

Beer_Cayse

... Would you then ban trial accounts from marking runes?
Why not? Let the trial accounts travel the old-fashioned way - moongates.

Or they would have permanent accounts write the books and use the trial accounts to drop them. Would you ban the permanent accounts because the trial account dropped the books?
Actually I believe the advertising of non-approved sites is against ToS, thus ban of the subscribed account would be fine with me - provided they can be linked via CC or whatever.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to stop gold sellers from advertising in game is about as easy as nailing jello to the wall. You can give it your best effort, but in the end it's really not going to work.

X

XLaCeDX

Trying to stop gold sellers from advertising in game is about as easy as nailing jello to the wall. You can give it your best effort, but in the end it's really not going to work.

OR you can block the scripted char who is dropping the books, just learn the scripts route and stand either on the left side or right side or front or back of the scripter and he will write over and over the same website name until its near gibberish since they use a script to write the books also.

It's great fun!

You might also become known to the gold sellers as one of the Few People Left in UO Who Still Care, and at last count there were just three of us (according to one broker who posts his icq here from time to time).

Don't listen to naysayers because You CAN make a difference it just takes a little effort.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least you can pick up runes and mark them to someplace useful or at least rename them. Books are just in the way.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disallowing trial accounts from using books will not make -any- difference.

The mass droppings of books, runes, etc. reflects a much larger issue: Neglect of economy in Ultima Online.

In brief, the prices of everything that NPC sells needs to be raised. A single book should cost no less than 10K gold when purchased from NPC. We have had years of inflation where 1 Billion now is worth what 1 million used to be. Yet, NPC suppliers have remained inflation proof and hence, the gross abuse.

Cheers.

Yes, make it impossible for new players to do anything. I like the idea. Let's kill UO!

B

Beer_Cayse

Trial accounts are easily detectable by the system, else restrictions would not be on them - or be able to be on them. What if the NPCs had logic that detected a trial account when the sell gump is opened ... and books simply were not there or not for sale?

My 3 day old account can't do squat - your 10 year account can get the books. However for a new account being used by a scripter or whatever ... ods are they would use their non-trial accoutn to buy up books and pass to the newbie.

Which then brings it to ... if the trial account is banned for advertising places not legal within ToS, the active account could be banned if they are linked via CC.

is this a bit more easy to swallow from your gaming view?

O

Old Man of UO

At least you can pick up runes and mark them to someplace useful or at least rename them. Books are just in the way.
err... I think it is very useful to mark runes to the bottom of Hythloth, or perhaps the Star Room.

err... then rename them the same as before!