• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bladeweave vs Archery

G

Goodoljoe

Is there anything special waiting to boost archery w SA that wont make it immediately
obsolete against Bladeweaving?.A ranged melee skill that consumes no ammunition,no more wood and feather farming,or paying stupid prices to those 24/7 script shops,not to mention none in their right mind would advice a fresh newbie to start an archer due to ammo costs and how time consuming it is to restock compared to all other skills.
What do you think?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Throwing definitely seems to be shaping up to be "low maintanence archery". If it has all the same attack power of archery then it would seem to become a strictly better version of the same skill.

It's too bad they took the approach of assigning properties to quivers instead of to arrows - they could have made archery the "alchemy" of combat skills - higher maintanence for higher power.

S

SUPRsalad

oh yeah, because archery just ISNT powerful enough..

I invite you, on the pac shard, to get yourself a character with 120 parry, 120 weapskill, max DCI, and 150 hp, and go flag on Sara Lee, Or Luv Lee, or one of the shards 'leet' archers..

by the third armor ignore in a row, and subsequently the blackscreen, you will see my point.

G

Goodoljoe

This thread is not a PvP discussion : )

Back to the point,I guess one can just take both Throwing and Archery for diferent situations if they both prove useful,its just hard to imagine how archery will remain competitive...

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its just hard to imagine how archery will remain competitive...
The Developers took the simplest path to solve this dilemma... Throwing will be restricted to gargoyles only, while Archery will be restricted to humans/elves only...

Official source here:

http://www.uoherald.com/fof/?fofId=143

Humans and Elves will be able to use Imbuing and Mysticism, but will not be able to use Throwing weapons.
Gargoyles will not be able to use Archery weapons.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Racial restrictions don't really solve the dilemma, they just hide it a little.

I'm a little uncomfortable with racial-linked skills ... I'd prefer that racial specializations emerged more naturally (from simply being the better combination of attributes, rather than being forced upon players, even though it might not always line up with the originally-imagined fiction and the dynamic may change from patch-to-patch as balance tweaks and content changes alter the best character builds).

I'm also worried that the concept of a skill is continuing to gain complexity - we already have skills with prerequisites: remove traps (requires detect hidden 50), masonry (carpentry 100 to learn), glassblowing (alchemy 100 to learn), spellweaving (quest). I would prefer the concept of a skill be simplified (merge lockpicking and remove traps abilities into a single skill), reclassify alchemy/masonry into recipes instead of a "skill", etc. Adding racial limitations feels like a step in the wrong direction ... but that's a whole separate debate.

Currently, I feel that swordsmanship, fencing and macing don't have enough to distinguish them ... it's a different selection of weapons, but really it comes down to what properties/speeds/specials you manage to accumulate on the weapons - and there's more variation within each group than between the groups.

So what distinguishes archery and throwing? As far as I can tell, it's a similar situation to the swords/fencing/macing situation except throwing gets to dispense with archery's distinguishing limitation (requiring ammunition). Making the skills race-restricted is almost like just saying "gargoyles don't require ammunition". Unless there's some difference to how monsters/players/puzzles react to being hit by a thrown weapon vs an archery weapon, I'm concerned it won't be distinct enough.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I can see a logic issue that makes Gargoyles non-archers.

Their wings would get in the way of bows, in certain circumstances, and would probably preclude wearing a quiver. So, it would be unlikely they'd even consider the skill.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like calling them Bladeweavers. Looking at this topic title, I first thought it was about the special move Bladeweaving.
What's next... the Armor Ignorers?

I just think it's a little confusing to recycle old terms.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is that bladeweaving is just too good a name for a mere special move :)

G

gjohnson5

I invite you, on the pac shard, to get yourself a character with 120 parry, 120 weapskill, max DCI, and 150 hp, and go flag on Sara Lee, Or Luv Lee, or one of the shards 'leet' archers..

by the third armor ignore in a row, and subsequently the blackscreen, you will see my point.
I've said this many times
People still think parry is somehow a really powerful skill

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've said this many times
People still think parry is somehow a really powerful skill
Unless I'm missing something... three armor ignores = 105 hp damage (3x35). You won't be seeing black if you're 150hp.... Unless 5 AR's and that's if you're not healing.
And parry might block at least 1-2 of them 5 AR's in a row. (I don't think it's powerful, but not useless... pretty balanced IMO.)
And I think mana would run out by the 4th (usually).

G

Goodoljoe

Archers should get a eight barreled crossbow with a grenade launcher for balance purposes against GD tamers and hm,Throwers?(or whatever)

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm - I wonder if they will get and advantage throwing bolas???

Just imagine, a Stealth Bladweaver dismounting with let's say a 25% HCI bola ability, then changing to his/her AI boomerang:)

BTW - will the throwing ability be one handed or two handed, i.e., can the Garg keep a shield equipped or toss pots as he tosses missiles?

K

kaylun

you archers are funny most of you can kill a tamer before all kill is even out of the mouth. Get some skills and play something not grossly overpowered. PVP unbalances kill the game.All you do is seperate the pet from the tamer and 3 shot kill the tamer and you still whine?? unbelievable

G

Gladius

Why not allow for special arrows with mods eh? Either to be looted from peerless or made by special tools? Just to keep the balance of things huh?

But of course this would just be wishful thinking.

S

Stupid Miner

Well currently bladeweavers have... 3 weapons. Archers have 6 right? Archers have better weapon versatility.