• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Blacksmith/Miner Templates

B

Banner

Hi folks just back after about 3 1/2 yrs off and now wondering with all the new stuff going on in the world of UO if anyone could tell me in which way should i go with my Miner/smith char... What all should i do with him to make him as profitable as possible. He's at 99.8 minning, 87.6 smith, 67.7 arms lore.
I started him with 50 magery for the recalling benefit also. any help would be great.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're going to add carpentry to the character, keep magery (you need something like 75 or 80 magery total, with equipment for some of the house add-ons, and you can get to there from 50 with equipment). Otherwise, drop the magery and replace it with Chivalry. Chivalry gives good healing and travel for less mana, and doesn't require regs on you to use (just tithing at a shrine), so you can dedicate more space to ore and tools. Plus, if you add combat skills (say, you decide to use gargoyle picks for better ore), chivalry will boost those.

You will want to get a fire beetle; you can smelt ore on a fire beetle, allowing you to stay in the field mining for a much longer time. It's also a decent fighter. Note that you can smelt on a ghost of a bonded fire beetle, so keeping it alive isn't as much a worry as with the pack animals, and you can carry 60 times more ingots than the ore equivalent. (60 ore = 120 ingots; 120 ingots weighs the same as 1 ore).

IF all your are going to do is mine & smith with the character, then I suggest (at 700 points)

120 Smith
100 mining
100 arms lore
90 weapon skill
90 tactics
75 anatomy (and put any additional points from account age here)
65 healing
60 chivalry

Then, add in jewelry and equipment that gives bonuses to those skills shown under 100 to raise them. Both Anatomy & tactics give additional damage to your attacks, and give an additional bonus at GM, so getting those skills to a modified 100 or better is more important.

You would need to keep 90 real skill in weapon & tactics for special moves, and if you are human you'll get the -10 cost reduction for special moves at 120 weapon skill (an elf would have to have combined 200 skill points in qualifying skills to get the -5 reduction - a human gets at by the time they hit 70 weapon skill, due to Jack of all trades; weapon plus a qualifyer like parry, when both equal 140 also gives the -10).

Consider eventually getting 2 soulstones (they are now available as vet rewards), and swapping out arms lore for parry as needed, if you decide to mine in dangerous places (or become a gargoyle pick addict like me). Or, if you go for an archer, get all the skills in the above template to 100 or better, and swap out arms lore and one of the other skills as needed, for crafting.

If the old forums were restored, I could point you to the FAQ that covers several mage, warrior and non-combatant templates, in the Miner forum.

B

Banner

Basra, Thx for the info, What i'm thinking is going with a straight smith/miner char. but i dont have a fire bettle yet, just a pack horse. (where can i get a fire bettle??). I have been digging ore in Delucia and in Minoc. Both are safe places and so far low traffic areas. tryed the Gargoyle pick thing and i have to say i'm not ready for them yet.... My next char will be maybe Tailor/Carpentry and will work on him next. But for now what is the best way to raise Arms Lore?? that and Magery seems to be my weakest skills to gain every thing else is fairly easy.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are two means to work arms lore.

One is supposedly quicker (but wasn't for me), but essentially means your character just sits around for hours or days, doing absolutely nothing of use (loring an item over and over).

The other way is the method I've been using, which is filling iron BODs (or just crafting in general.

Any Smith item, other than Shields, can give Arms Lore gains when you craft them. I found that, filling BODs that my characters can gain from, starting with 70 Smith skill (2 of them were BOD runners on an account that was given to me), that one will go from 50 Arms Lore (where one starts after completing New Haven quest) roughly equal to one's Blacksmith skill, by the time Blacksmith hits 90-95. And, even items that are too easy to gain smithing on, you will still gain Arms lore, crafting (except shields, of course).

So, my suggestion is to get a bunch of "junk" (iron Weapon & armor) BODs, and start filling them to turn in for more BODs and mining tools. Use the chart linked to in my stickied post, and do the ones you can get both smith & arms lore gains from first, then go to the ones that you can gain Arms lore only with, and only do shield smalls if you have the spare ingots.

With your Smith skill in the mid-high 80s, and lore in the 60s, you'll probably hit GM arms lore about the time you hit GM smith, using this method.

The second method costs more than simply loring something over and over, but is more productive in the long run (trains your smith skill, gets you more colored ingot BODs for filling, and tools to mine more ingots with), instead of sitting there doing absolutely nothing (and being tempted to train illegally out of sheer boredom).

I've been using this method to train 4 of my 6 smiths (one is already 120, the other is permanently 80, due to being my carpenter and no room for more skill). All started at 0 arms lore, and the Smith skills were 100, 85, 70 & 70. After 3 months of putting in 5-10 hours a week (total) on them, they are now 111, 101, 93 and 88 Smith skill, with the two GM+ Smiths at GM Arms lore, and the other two have their arms lore within 1-2 points of their Smith skill.

The BODs I've gotten back from their filling (turned in by the 120 smith) have gained me uncountable amounts of PoF (enough to rake in over 5 million from a vendor selling at 70k per, even after subtracting vendor fees from having 10 stocked at a time), a couple dozen Bronze hammers, 3 gold hammers, 2 +30 ASH, 1 +60 ASH, FOUR colored Anvils, and my first 2 Valorite Hammer BODs (2 of the 6 smalls of the set).

BTW, for Training Arms Lore on your future tailor (as it adds to the armor), the BOD-filling method works using any of the armor BOD types, AS WELL as filling any of the Hat BODs. In some ways, it works even better, because the hat BODs, turned in as smalls, will give you more cloth to fill more hat BODs, greatly reducing your need to buy or make cloth (though probably not eliminating it entirely).

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Banner, post what shard you are on and I'm sure a tamer will arrange to get you a fire beetle.

B

Banner

Thanks again Basara, you have been most helpfull and i'm going to go with the second method. By doing the BOD's i can get the rewards and money and still gain arms lore.. But still going to work on smithing the old fashon way i guess. and as for what shard? I'm on the LS shard Liewn so if you know anybody thats a tamer and can hook up with me, i sure would love to have one of those fire bettles.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My smith is
120 black smith
120 mace
100 tact
100 mine
100 ant
100 lore
80 chiv

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2nd smith is

120 black smith
120 spell weaving
100 arms lore
100 mine
100 mage
100 eval
80 med

L

Loqucious

Hi folks just back after about 3 1/2 yrs off and now wondering with all the new stuff going on in the world of UO if anyone could tell me in which way should i go with my Miner/smith char... What all should i do with him to make him as profitable as possible. He's at 99.8 minning, 87.6 smith, 67.7 arms lore.
I started him with 50 magery for the recalling benefit also. any help would be great.
I run a fel based vendor house and have done so for several years. I have two chars that bounce skills off of soul stones in order to be able to make everything that can be made in this game. You really have to decide exactly what it is you wish to make in order to make gold. I would start off by making a mining char. If you have the patience to mine for long periods of time you will be very profitable. There have been changes made that make ore mining very valuable.

Good luck

K

Kallie Pigeon

My template is
Blacksmith 120
Mining 100
Macing 100
Arms lore 100
Anatomy 100
Tactics 100
Healing 100

But I am thinking about stoning off arms lore unless I am smithing. Just not enough time in the day to live my life and this one too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kallie, Welcome back....

I'm going to be doing the soulstone thing on my main smith (who is the ele-slaying combat animal in my sig), but first I've got to get Arms lore to GM.

I found a REALLY great way to train arms lore, involves Heartwood.

If you need to make a Bowyer/Fletcher, you can start doing Heartwood quests at 30 Bowyer/Fletcher. You can get ALL THE WAY TO GM while doing quests (working your way up through the quest selection), and in the process will get most, if not all, of your Bow recipes, probably a few fletching runics, AND massive gains in Arms Lore.

I used that method to train up fletching before the arms lore change, and now am back slaving at the bowcrafters to raise my arms lore (up to 80 now) to soulstone to my smith as needed, AND potentially getting some runics from the deal (I'm just doing the "A simple Bow" quests at GM - A packy full of boards, and 360 boards on the crafter will get you 28 run-throughs with the quest, per trip).

E

envinyatar

My smith is also my tinker/carpenter and I guess I never thought to add a weapon skill to him. Same with my tailor, she's also my fletcher/alchemist/scribe. I do need to raise arms lore on both, so I will be following the advice. Thanks for the info everyone. :thumbup1:

R

Radix

Hi.
I have a legendary smith, with 115 taylor, 100 tinker, 100 carpentry, 100 mining, a true mule, and some magic & music for crafting some things. The matter is, i have no Arms Lore! And i think it is not necesary for anything, i think the only way to get a good chance of enhancing is a good runic hammer...

For crafting and success, nothing about this skill in stratics:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/blacksmithing.php

I know a lot of years ago it was useful, more for combat than crafting, but now?
What's the use of this? I want to know, i can drop my lumber if necessary ;)

Thank you!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Radix, that information has been obselete for 2 years (some of it for 6 years).

If you'd checked the Craftsman forums, where all the FAQs had been updated since April of last year (when I became a Mod), you'd find this in the FAQs for skills that can make weapons or armor - the change occurred about 2 years ago, in Publish 44 (June 2007).

Section 2.2 of the Smith FAQ...

You may ask, "Do I really NEED Arms Lore?"

Well, if you plan to make any armor or weapons, the answer is probably YES.

The Following Charts are a more visible breakdown of the skill's benefits.

Arms Lore Skill / Race / Exceptional Weapon DI / Exceptional Armor (non-runic) / Exceptional Armor (runic)
0-19.9 / Elves / 35% / 15 points / 6 points
0-39.9 / Human / 36% / 16 / 7
20.0-39.9 / Elves / 36% / 16 / 7
40.0-59.9 / Both / 37% / 17 / 8
60.0-79.9 / Both / 38% / 18 / 9
80.0-99.9 / Both / 39% / 19 / 10
100.0 / Both / 40% / 20 / 11

Now, for Siege Perilous & Mugen, where the bonus is different (and the exceptional crafted equipment is mandatory, without insurance)

Arms Lore Skill / Race / Exceptional Weapon DI / Exceptional Armor (non-runic) / Exceptional Armor (runic)
0-12.4 / Elves / 35% / 15 / 6
0-24.9 / Human / 36% / 16 / 7
12.5-24.9 / Elves / 36% / 16 / 7
25.0-37.4 / Both / 37% / 17 / 8
37.5-49.9 / Both / 38% / 18 / 9
50.0-62.4 / Both / 39% / 19 / 10
62.5-74.9 / Both / 40% / 20 / 11
75.0-87.4 / Both / 41% / 21 / 12
87.5-99.9 / Both / 42% / 22 / 13
100 / Both / 43% / 23 / 14

U

uoBuoY

When you redeem some smith BoDs, you can receive a prospector's hammer. When a mined spot gives, say, shadow and you hit that spot with hammer, the spot will upgrade one ore level to copper. I think you still need to have sufficient mining skill to get the higher level ore.