• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Black Horses ??

T

Taralwv

Okay I'm not sure if this is the right spot to ask the question but I have a tamer and I was just at the brit bank and seen someone selling Black Horses for 1 mil this is on Atlantic I asked the fellow where they came from he said I have no idea I got them from a friend ....So seeing hows i havent seen them before or heard of them and he is only person with one (that I see at the moment) I assuming it's a bug or is it? Do these black horses (not mares) exist and if so where do u find them at ?

J

jamesb3002

Black horses are no longer attainable. It was a bug that has long been fixed.

T

Taralwv

Okay thanks , was just curious cause I seen the guy today at brit bank with 5 selling for 1 mil.

G

Black horses are faction guard horses.. there was a exploit used to dismount the faction guard.. once that was done then a tamer can tame them.. the dismounting the guard is illegal yet not owning the horse afterwards which is lame...

I

imported_Galdrion

It is actually still possible... had some people doing it in trinsic on GL a day or two ago... didnt know it was a bug or i wouldve killed the horses before they were tamed heheh

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ya, I would say someone figured out how to do it again a few months ago, because suddenly they became available again in numbers, and the price dropped through the floor. I bought one for 300k.

G

I do wonder... logic wise... what is the difference in someone buying a dupe knowing it was illegal to produce and buying a faction guard horse knowing that its illegal to get the faction guard off to tame it?

I

imported_revenant2

Better yet, what's wrong with different colored horses being caused to spawn, including black, and people can let this whole black horse issue be put to rest? Is there reeeeeeally a good reason for the only colorful/black horses to be Nightmares and Fire Steeds (tamer only)?

Basically, there are a few body types of horses in UO (body type meaning it has a different underlying hueing scheme), and when you apply color hues to the horses, you can end up with varying degrees of depth and shades depending on which type of horse you applied it to. Some types of horses do NOT look nice with a certain color applied to them, whereas the other body/hue type can look decent with that same color applied.

I was able to come up with nice looking horse colors on my old private shard, but certain color and body type combos had to be avoided because they just didn't work well. In fact, the ones that worked well were fewer in number than the bad looking ones.

An example of this type of thing: people note that some nightmares are much blacker than others. To the best of my judgement, the super dark nightmares are the deep-hued body type (uncolored, it's the dark brown horse) with black applied, and the lighter ones are the other body types. The applying of a black color happened to work okay on all the body types (the dark brown one being the nicest as you can see yourself) but if you took say, red, and put it on all the body types, it looked bad on some of them. Yellow looked nice and natural on some of them and outright bad on others. If they did implement colored horses, they couldn't just throw out random horse colors onto random body types. There would have to be some established ranges and colors for each body type. It wouldn't have to be as precise as they did the CUs, but there would have to be some care taken with it.

They have clearly put some additional consideration into pet colors since the time that horses were all that we had to ride. For example, that snow-white color looked horrible on any and all horse bodies, yet in today's UO they got it looking quite nice on the snow-white CUs you see around. You may not LIKE some of the grey colors or brown colors that you see on CUs but, as pet huing goes, they did a good job with all of them. It's easy to apply a hue to an animal body in UO and have it come out looking nasty, is the thing, it's touchy to get it looking decent. None of these recent pets look *wrong* (CUs, ostards, I'm thinking).

Colored normal horses are about 7 years overdue in UO, in my opinion.

I acknowledge that nowadays very few people ride UO horses, but with some nice colored horses available, maybe the trend of riding anything-but-a-regular-horse would shift a bit (because people would like them better). One of those Why Not kind of things - if there's a nice looking pet that anyone can ride, even though it's not an ethy, I think some people would want to do it. I bet the snow-white and red ones would be liked, as well as the blacks.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
a couple points for ya all.

1) colored horses are a treat for having the guts to play in factions.

2) dismounting faction guards hasnt been illegal for about 5 years now.
ive invited a GM to come watch me do it and was told straight out it was perfectlly legal.

3) there is no 'new way' to get black horses.
its just that the people who use to get them watered down the market so much that there was no need to get them anymore cause the market was flat.

4) there is no seceret to getting the horses.
you just need to go and do it.
mind you, you need to take over factions to do it, which on some shards might be a little tuff.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

a couple points for ya all.

1) colored horses are a treat for having the guts to play in factions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but.. the faction horses are more than just colored horses. They are 'war' horses which fight better, have more HP, and I'm told they can be ressurected by their owners regardless of their vet skill. The colors on war horses correspond with which faction the rider is associated with, and some of those colors are outright weird and nonhorse-like.

I can see normal horses that spawned with color co-existing with the colored faction war horses. I don't believe the game mechanics would allow them to be functionally mixed up. If on the other hand, someone at some point declared that colored horses must exclusively be the domain of faction characters, that's a subjective thing that nobody can say much about.

Thing about (non-tamer) mounts these days is that most everyone rides ethys, for understandable reasons. There's only a few cases where it's advantageous for someone to ride a normal mount like a horse or an ostard. Main reason I can think of for someone to ride a colored horse would be to maintain a certain look about their character, and I feel like, why not let em? Ostards come in lots of colors, cu sidhes too, why not provide some means for horses as well? It would make things be more complete.

G

*sits in the corner rocking and crying" no...more....purple...llamas....

G

<blockquote><hr>

*sits in the corner rocking and crying" no...more....purple...llamas....

[/ QUOTE ]

saw a couple over in Mag yesterday.... whats with the No more??

G

A purple llama was the placeholder art for giant beetles (the blue pack beetles) for awhile, in just the same way as orange horses were placeholders for ki-rin and white horses for unicorns.

I preferred the purple llamas AND the orange &amp; the white horses, too!