• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

black horses?!?

• Thread starter Carmen from GL
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Carmen from GL

Whats this rumor about them stopping the taming of these horses? I didnt even know they were still tamable, i thought they were only from old accounts being reactive?

If in deed they are tamable, where would u even find these things at?

any info on this topic would be great!!!

Thanks

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Whats this rumor about them stopping the taming of these horses? I didnt even know they were still tamable, i thought they were only from old accounts being reactive?

If in deed they are tamable, where would u even find these things at?

any info on this topic would be great!!!

Thanks
Are you talking about Nightmares? Or the invasion Dread Mares or whatever they are called?

C

Carmen from GL

Are you talking about Nightmares? Or the invasion Dread Mares or whatever they are called?
neither, these have same stats as horses (riding ability/stats/skills) but are 'black' in color. you recently see them on GL selling for 1 mil a pop. However they werent up for sale for quite some time...and apperantly they say they arent going to available much longer and trying to sell for 4 mil each.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't heard mention of any changes being made to discontinue the spawning of black faction horses. I think someone is trying to tell tales to get more gold for the horses, don't fall for it. It's just a horse that happens to be black, even 1 mil is a lot of gold for a horse painted with boot polish :)

Wenchy

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only way you can dismount the guards off the black horses was with riding swipe. As of Publish 55, you are no longer able to use this special on them.

From Publish 55 notes: Players can no longer use the No-Dachi special move Riding Swipe on NPCs

S

Sarphus

The only way you can dismount the guards off the black horses was with riding swipe. As of Publish 55, you are no longer able to use this special on them.

From Publish 55 notes: Players can no longer use the No-Dachi special move Riding Swipe on NPCs
However, the black horses were created via an exploit. I wouldn't buy one if I were you. If the devs for some reason decide that they want to declare the horses as illegal to own, you could have bad things happen to you.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are legal to own but were illegal to obtain.

now no longer obtainable

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't heard mention of any changes being made to discontinue the spawning of black faction horses. I think someone is trying to tell tales to get more gold for the horses, don't fall for it. It's just a horse that happens to be black, even 1 mil is a lot of gold for a horse painted with boot polish :)

Wenchy
QFT

A mill for a black horse that will some day more than likely be in game for everyone to have is just a tad silly if ya think about it. And by having I mean the ability to buy one from a stable master.
If you want a black one just make a tamer and have one with all the bells and whistles.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
QFT

A mill for a black horse that will some day more than likely be in game for everyone to have is just a tad silly if ya think about it.
well, im just thinking out loud here.... but these horses have been available for like 7 or 8 years and only to those who would risk going and getting them.

and in all that time they have YET to make them available in game (like from a stable master) so when ya say that they are likelly to become in game for everyone, that may be true, but if youve been one of the people waiting for going on 8 years.... well thats a long time.

wait 10 years.... or spend a mill.

whats a mill worth?
$0.70 on the open market?
so here at work while typeing this i made enough to go buy 3 horses!
yaaaa!

and the horses have allways been legal to own, as mentioned above, and even obtaining them in the last 5 years WAS LEGAL.
i paged a GM and had him watch me as i got one and he said it was game mechanics and perfectlly legal.

that said, black horses run the same game that anything else in game does.
EA at any time can come along and change them with no notice.
but as i first said.
8 years.
nuff said.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't want people being ripped off for a "rare" pet when it's just a normal horse that's black. Especially as these guys often have stacks of said beasties in the stables. Yes it's black, but the going rate for a horse in UO is 500gp, not 1mil + :D

Now if someone offered a dread mare and it was confirmed they aren't spawning anymore, that's different. That's a powerful fun pet which is also rare. But a black horse is a rip off.

I'd rather EA made a slightly different graphic for a black horse (say with a white star on the forehead) and offered those for sale instead. Then it would be clear what they were for trading and easy (and legal) to obtain said horsey. I do love black horseys (have 2 black little uns IRL) but I'd still offer 500gp for one :D

Wenchy

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of the reason they cost so much - aside from the rarity - is that it costs the TB faction silver every time they summons a guard to obtain the horse. I have to admit we bankrupted TB on Napa one day getting these things. Thankfully Napa's factions are non-existant beyond use for vendors, so it wasn't that big a deal for us.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of the reason they cost so much - aside from the rarity - is that it costs the TB faction silver every time they summons a guard to obtain the horse. I have to admit we bankrupted TB on Napa one day getting these things. Thankfully Napa's factions are non-existant beyond use for vendors, so it wasn't that big a deal for us.
That's fair enough, but I'm not sure it's costing the tamers anything to dismount the guard then tame the horsey. I wouldn't grudge the price so much if I knew it came from the factioners who'd forked out the silver to summon guards. But the impression I've gotten with some of the sellers I've seen was that they just got a mate to come along and took advantage of someone else placing the guard. Then took advantage of gullible players who forked out the gold for said horse.

With their rarity, I'm not sure they're as rare as all that. But I'd much prefer EA just made black horses with a white star. Like the brown one with the star but in black. I always loved that style of horsey :)

*spot the RL horse nut*

Wenchy

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the reason the black horses sell for a mill a shot is because of their relative rarity.

i know on more shards factions are locked up by gaggles of faction nuts that dont let people take over factions just to get black horses.

hence why they where worth so much.
its all pixil crack.

some people just like having the black horse.
some people just like having something that not everyone could get.

are they worth a mill?
depends on who you ask.

if your a red that wears all black and you wanna color coordinate, they yes.

there was a time when ethys lost stamina fast, and real horse flesh was the only answer to people who pvp'd.
and the black horses where at their hay day then.
pvp elite would pay good coin for them cause they didnt loose stamina and you could run forever on them.
and they look cool.

plus they never know if your a tamer or just someone who is on a black horse.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh aye, it's all relative. I just take "they're rare" with a huge pinch of salt when the vendor is telling me so ;) But then I heard a few tamers talking about having stables full of the things so that does tend to sway me into doubting the rarity line. Especially more recently when tamers knew what the horses were worth.

Wenchy

S

SyKo of GL

I know this thread is from almost ages ago, but i am up late in my dorm taming and i am waiting for the bulls to respawn. The key reason i had a black horse on all of my characters for pvp was the fact that black horses never ran out of stamina. idont know what patch we are on now or if mounts run out of stamina anymore or not, but jan of 08 they did not ever run out of stamina.