• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Beyond 100 for Other Crafting Skills

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hail!

I'm sure the answer is somewhere but I can't find it. Why are Blacksmithy and Tailoring the only two crafting skills that go beyond 100 skill points? I'd love to have a Legendary Scribe or Legendary Alchemist.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure you realize what you're asking for? It just dilutes the 720 skill points we have even more. I preferred it when it was 7 X GM.

Either that or raise our skill points to 840, 7 X 120.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure you realize what you're asking for? It just dilutes the 720 skill points we have even more. I preferred it when it was 7 X GM.

Either that or raise our skill points to 840, 7 X 120.
It only dilutes it if you choose to take advantage of it. It's not like the 120 cap is a requirement for that skill. It's an option. If you feel like it will dilute your character, stick with 100. I mean, if you truly are a "Legendary Blacksmith" can you also be a "Legendary Carpenter", "Legendary Tailor", and a "Legendary Alchemist"? I've never understood how the hands of a blacksmith could also be an accomplished tailor anyway. Of course, this is if your character is supposed to be somewhat realistic.

It's like anything else, if you don't want to go to 120 points then don't but why not allow those crafters who DO want to take it to 120? What's the reason not to?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That isn't my point. Before scrolls you could do the same thing you now have to go to 120 for. However they didn't raise the total skill points. Before power scrolls a GM Blacksmith could do the same that it takes a Legendary Blacksmith to do now. So you could GM 7 skills. Now you can only be max with 6 skills if you raise more up to 120 to attain maximum capability.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That isn't my point. Before scrolls you could do the same thing you now have to go to 120 for. However they didn't raise the total skill points. Before power scrolls a GM Blacksmith could do the same that it takes a Legendary Blacksmith to do now. So you could GM 7 skills. Now you can only be max with 6 skills if you raise more up to 120 to attain maximum capability.
If that's the case, I did not know that. I'm new to crafting (outside of inscription and alchemy). If that's true, then I guess you are forced to go to 120 if it's available. I agree with you then.

Either way...back to the original question. Why did they only do this for blacksmithy and tailoring?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe they did it for blacksmith and tailoring because they needed to throw a bone to crafters when powerscrolls and BODs were introduced. I can't remember exactly how the difficulties were before, but they did make it so that you would fail less making studded armor and plate armor if you raised your skill to 120. However they could have just as easily scaled it 0-100 as opposed to 0-120.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I believe they did it for blacksmith and tailoring because they needed to throw a bone to crafters when powerscrolls and BODs were introduced. I can't remember exactly how the difficulties were before, but they did make it so that you would fail less making studded armor and plate armor if you raised your skill to 120. However they could have just as easily scaled it 0-100 as opposed to 0-120.
I'd like to see a "The Nefarious Snape, Legendary Alchemist" or maybe "The Lord Jesus Christ, Legendary Carpenter". Maybe "The Lord William Shakespeare, Legendary Scribe".

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When killing dragons was much more difficult, barbed leather was more valuable.

When valorite was worth 100 per ingot or more, a valorite plate suit of armor was worth a lot.

As a crafter you wanted to fail as little as possible so as not to waste those resources.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When killing dragons was much more difficult, barbed leather was more valuable.

When valorite was worth 100 per ingot or more, a valorite plate suit of armor was worth a lot.

As a crafter you wanted to fail as little as possible so as not to waste those resources.

I think SP has skewed your concept of materials value. While I agree you want to fail as little as possible, the situation is actually far worse than you think, on the shards where stuff can be transferred away to Atlantic by a speculator.

Valorite hasn't been below 100 GP per ingot on most shards since before SE; On many shards it's up around 500+ per ingot - if you can actually FIND any (often, people pricing it at 500 or less end up finding their vendor full of gold, and their deeds end up getting resold for a profit on Atlantic)

And Barbed hasn't been below 300 per cut leather piece for almost as long.

If a departing friend (who made a small fortune rares collecting, and invested it in regs, base materials and colored wood) hadn't given me his stuff a year before the new BODs were introduced, I'd have given up on inscription, alchemy, carpentry and fletching already because the prices are so ludicrously high, and I can't gather enough stuff to fill my BODs on hand. I still have a bear of a time finding/collecting enough spined leather, shadow iron, verite and valorite.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post is 100% correct. I am a bit outa the loop. I took a long break and just recently came back. I personally haven't had to buy ingots or leather in many years. I mined my own and bought from others enough to last years. I still have a hundred deeds of 60k of each ingot and leather and such that I'm not even close to needing to redeed yet. I'd have to double check but I should have around three million iron ingots.

I guess it's been so long that we don't remember when 100 gold was a lot of gold for an ingot.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Your post is 100% correct. I am a bit outa the loop. I took a long break and just recently came back. I personally haven't had to buy ingots or leather in many years. I mined my own and bought from others enough to last years. I still have a hundred deeds of 60k of each ingot and leather and such that I'm not even close to needing to redeed yet. I'd have to double check but I should have around three million iron ingots.

I guess it's been so long that we don't remember when 100 gold was a lot of gold for an ingot.
I remember when 100 was just...a lot of gold.