• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best way to gain HONOR points for Tamer?

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the best way to gain honor points for a tamer?

As a Legendary tamer with full honor points, I tamed a few Greater Dragons and used five Honor blue buttons out of ten.

Despite killing numerous Greater Dragons and Greater Dragon [Paragons] even allowing them to attack me first and receiving message "you have gained in honor" each time my pet killed one, I haven't gained another blue button in HONOR.

Does a tamer need to do battle with (eg) swords directly with the monsters to gain Honor? I didn't have a problem gaining 10 HONOR points before I started using HONOR to tame Greater Dragons.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
well i also am a tamer and it takes several critters for each dot also I could be wrong here but pretty sure tamers get less points per kill if their pets do the killing

X

Xanithor

yep that is true. Since your pet is doin most of the damage, you get less honor than say an archer attacking a dragon by himself.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i also am a tamer and it takes several critters for each dot also I could be wrong here but pretty sure tamers get less points per kill if their pets do the killing
I agree with the fact that tamers get less points per kill if their pets do the killing. But I figured after killing ten paragon Greater Dragons and another fifty greater dragons and letting most of those attack me first I might gain at least one blue button. :)

I can't understand how I gained Ten Honor Points in the first place.
The only thing I ever honored was the sphynx WHILE TRAINING A GREATER DRAGON and only in the past few months did I honor greater dragons and greater dragon paragons, but only after using the five BLUE Honor buttons which I somehow had gained in order to tame a few Greater Dragons for my other tamers to train. <<Boy that's a long convoluted sentence!:confused:

To Gain HONOR, a tamer needs to become a bashing warrior :sword: and temporarily store all taming skills on soulstones rolleyes: because:

VIRTUE HONOR SYSTEM Clearly states:

Allowing your opponent to damage you first.
Engaging in one-on-one combat.
Not using ranged weapons, unless you stay in the same spot where you honored your opponent, or you only damage your opponent while adjacent to them.
Not allowing your pets or summoned creatures to help you during the battle.
Avoiding the use of poison.

AND

• Must be one that you can perform negative actions upon.
  • Must be at full health.
  • Must not already be honored by a nearby player.
  • Must be close to you, in your line-of-sight, and have a clear path to you.
The amount of Honor you gain from defeating your opponent is determined by how closely you followed the above guidelines for honorable combat, as well as your opponent’s level of fame.

One would expect a tamer, always standling on level ground with, and up close to a Greater Dragon or GD Paragon, in line of sight and with a clear path, who exposes himself and allows himself to be fired upon after Honoring such a worthy opponent, would be deserving of honor gains after numerous encounters over a two month period, even if the tamer doesn't survive every time. :)

The only difference is that now I am using a well trained greater dragon with better skills.
So everything works against the tamer getting the honor points he needs to use to help him tame the greater Dragons solo. hmmmm... so it's back to storing skills on soap stones. errr: soul stones.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
not gonna disagree with ya on that especialy now that they attack when you try to heal etc

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not gonna disagree with ya on that especialy now that they attack when you try to heal etc
To heal a Tamed G.Dragon, I alternate between bandages and casting G.Heal but if you teleport to "unstick" your pet G.Dragon, the wild G.Dragons and Paragons will attack you. I use INVIS on self but only after casting explosion on a wild G.Dragon. It's suicide to fire on Paragons.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may want to find another creature to gain Honor from with your tamer. I have found balrons and succubi to be excellent for gaining Honor with my tamer. Just today, I trained Honor from only having 2 dots full in the last path, up to Knight of Honor in roughly 160k worth of Succubi (I made that much gold from them). I was using a Cu Sidhe to kill them. The Cu does not use poison (even the spell probably counts) and it does not cast magic (which may count as ranged damage, but it also gives you more time to Honor the foe and moretime for a magic casting creature to damage it first). I have also used Swoops in the past to get to 4 dots from Knight, when training greater dragons.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that information and advice, Barry Gibb!

Swoops, balrons and succubi have been off my agenda for creatures to fight lately, as I was busy with greater dragons, but you've given me reason to fight them!

Will let you know if it works. Thanks.

surviving, :)
jade

O

Old Man of UO

To Gain HONOR, a tamer needs to become a bashing warrior :sword: and temporarily store all taming skills on soulstones rolleyes: because:

VIRTUE HONOR SYSTEM Clearly states:

Allowing your opponent to damage you first.
Engaging in one-on-one combat.
Not using ranged weapons, unless you stay in the same spot where you honored your opponent, or you only damage your opponent while adjacent to them.
Not allowing your pets or summoned creatures to help you during the battle.
Avoiding the use of poison.

AND

• Must be one that you can perform negative actions upon.
  • Must be at full health.
  • Must not already be honored by a nearby player.
  • Must be close to you, in your line-of-sight, and have a clear path to you.
The amount of Honor you gain from defeating your opponent is determined by how closely you followed the above guidelines for honorable combat, as well as your opponent’s level of fame.

One would expect a tamer, always standling on level ground with, and up close to a Greater Dragon or GD Paragon, in line of sight and with a clear path, who exposes himself and allows himself to be fired upon after Honoring such a worthy opponent, would be deserving of honor gains after numerous encounters over a two month period, even if the tamer doesn't survive every time. :)
... [/I]
This is pretty much not correct. It was in the original design but never implemented or at least not the way it states. You don't need to stand still, you don't need to let it hit you first (perform the negative action), you can break line of sight just not leave the server, and you can use pets. I do all of these at various times with archer, tamer, mage and melee characters.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye it's easy to gain honor as a tamer.
Hard to "knight" it mind.

Just use "honor target", "kill target" and stand next to the target (until it dies) like a warrior would and don't cast offensive spells.

Simples.

NB: succubus and "aura" mobs aren't so good for this.

O

Old Man of UO

Aye it's easy to gain honor as a tamer.
Hard to "knight" it mind.

Just use "honor target", "kill target" and stand next to the target (until it dies) like a warrior would and don't cast offensive spells.

Simples.

NB: succubus and "aura" mobs aren't so good for this.
I don't think you've ever done succubi then... she doesn't have an aura... and you don't need to stand next to your pet to gain honor. That's just a myth. Try it for yourself.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think you've ever done succubi then... she doesn't have an aura... and you don't need to stand next to your pet to gain honor. That's just a myth. Try it for yourself.
The Succubus does not have a constant aura effect (like snow elementals), but she does have a nasty radial effect. It can (and will) cause her to retarget to you instead of your pet, so be prepared for that. It seems to activate when they make that screaming sound.

Stayin Alive,

BG

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all righty then I was just schoooled by a stratics guru on levels of fame for monsters in the stratics hunters Guide Fame = Honor

Red Death
Dark Father
Abyssmal Horror
The True Harrower
The Harrower
Shadow Knight
Black Order High Executioner
Succubus
Semidar
Impaler
Forgotten Servant
Balron

Red Death can be real easy by just dragging mobs to oother side and farm away.

Next on list that is comon and feasable are the sucubus - Fan Dancer Dojo, and Blood Dugeon.

The there are Balarons

All the rest are kind hard to get to spawn, the black order high executioners are feasible but once every 10 minutes. You can toast about 4 sucubus in that time.

Rem try and not move alot.

It will take time I have killed around 20 Ballies in fel to get the last dot, bu now i will prob hit red death as they can be easy to setup.

Good luck

O

Old Man of UO

The Succubus does not have a constant aura effect (like snow elementals), but she does have a nasty radial effect. It can (and will) cause her to retarget to you instead of your pet, so be prepared for that. It seems to activate when they make that screaming sound.

Stayin Alive,

BG
Yes, that they do but it's really not too hard to handle. Cast invis on yourself and keep on killing. But that's not a true true aura effect, like pyre has for example, more of an area effect spell.

EDIT
Sorry Garm... it didn't occur to me that you were referring to an AOE spell, rather than an aura

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weins201 "all righty then I was just schoooled by a stratics guru on levels of fame for monsters in the stratics hunters Guide Fame = Honor"
Red Death
Dark Father
Abyssmal Horror
The True Harrower
The Harrower
Shadow Knight
Black Order High Executioner
Succubus
Semidar
Impaler
Forgotten Servant
Balron

After seeing your list of opponents, I would love to have you as my teacher! I am mostly self taught and play solo. So although in the past I never missed much of anything, now I can't keep up with the game.

Thank you so much for being so informative. It has helped me a great deal.

Thank you too, Old Man of UO. I should be called Old Woman of UO by now. I always suspected that information on Stratics about HONOR gains was a bit wrong. I gained nicely from Bloods, Titans, Sphynx, and I think I even gained some honor from fighting the Greater Dragons for awhile.

So I believe Barry is right. I just need to CHANGE to fighting another type of monster. I will try the Swoops and see what happens there then attack some on the list that Wein201 made.

Thanks Storm and Garm the Green. Every bit of information helps.

Have fun everyone and stay safe!

I am off to honor the swo- oops,
the wonderful swoops of UO .....
*..to the music of 'We're off the see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz'..*

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lord alive! sometimes i wonder if you have to disagree with everything I say! The silly thing is I'm usually correct too... maybe i just dont "word it right" however... the principle remains.

If you're going to be pedantic i said:
"NB: succubus and "aura" mobs aren't so good for this."

I didn't say Succubus had an aura, but included them alongside aura mobs.

Thanks Barry for your rational input...

And standing next to them does help. At certain levels you gain less without, try it for yourself : o )

So starting from now 1:0 old man.

U

uoBuoY

This is pretty much not correct. It was in the original design but never implemented or at least not the way it states. You don't need to stand still, you don't need to let it hit you first (perform the negative action), you can break line of sight just not leave the server, and you can use pets. I do all of these at various times with archer, tamer, mage and melee characters.
I'm just curious...
Did your statement come from a Dev's post? Please post a link.
And how you ascertain that "You don't need to stand still, you don't need to let it hit you first (perform the negative action), you can break line of sight just not leave the server, and you can use pets." since you can't see how much or how little Honor you gain?

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My theory is based on fighting Gnaw when keying for dreadhorn.

I noticed whilst standing next to him i recieved a "you gain in honor" and whilst at range, i didn't.

i think it was just chance of my level of honor and Gnaws Fame.

I'm sure you can gain standing at melee range, or not - but i think it helps :)

i hope that clarifies my rational for you dude :D

U

uoBuoY

My theory is based on fighting Gnaw when keying for dreadhorn.

I noticed whilst standing next to him i recieved a "you gain in honor" and whilst at range, i didn't.

i think it was just chance of my level of honor and Gnaws Fame.

I'm sure you can gain standing at melee range, or not - but i think it helps :)

i hope that clarifies my rational for you dude :D
My understanding is that the more you adhere to that list of criteria, the more Honor you will gain. And for each broken criteria you gain less Honor.

The real issue is we don't know how much or how little Honor we gain at any time. Just speculation.

O

Old Man of UO

I'm just curious...
Did your statement come from a Dev's post? Please post a link.
And how you ascertain that "You don't need to stand still, you don't need to let it hit you first (perform the negative action), you can break line of sight just not leave the server, and you can use pets." since you can't see how much or how little Honor you gain?
Like you said in your message above, the more you adhere to the list the more honor you gain, and we just don't know exactly how much.

There is no Developer statement on this as far as I've seen. I've tested these with my archer, and you can do the same. With my archer, I HAVE run around and HAVE broken the line of sight and still gained honor with miasma... the trick with my archer is to time it so I am standing next to miasma as the shot goes off. So I KNOW these two at least are not as the publish notes indicate. Also, I HAVE used pets to do the same thing and gained honor. I honor my targets and attack with a single macro key and I KNOW that I do not need to let the target hit me first... with my sampire miasma barely hits me. That is how I ascertain that the design notes are not correct.

If you test them for yourself and find something different, please post it because all information is helpful... DON'T just assume that the old Designer notes are still correct, or ever were correct in the first place because most of them have been changed.

U

uoBuoY

...I honor my targets and attack with a single macro key and I KNOW that I do not need to let the target hit me first... with my sampire miasma barely hits me. That is how I ascertain that the design notes are not correct.
Let's say you adhere to ALL the rules and let's suppose Miasma has a maximum of 1,000 Honor points. If you hit first maybe you lose 50 points. Maybe if you're a Tamer you lose 100 points. Maybe if you move you lose 30 points...etc. Maybe even you can break every single rule and still get 1 point of Honor. In the end you get any amount of Honor from 1 to 1,000 points but in absolutely every single case all you know is "you have gained in Honor".

I don't know if all the quoted rules are implemented or not but only a Dev can tell for sure. The evidence available to us doesn't allow for any specific conclusions.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to wind with peacemaking on your tamer.

Peace the greater there and move the rest of the spawn out of the way. This will take some time to set up but shouldn't take more than 3-5 minutes.

Once everything is setup,

1. honor the greater
2. take the first spell damage from greater
3. run to guard zone with greater in tow
4. toss a fireball at the greater as it get in guard zone then call guards
(if you have to balls, run in and use a mage weapon and get 1 hit in
instead of using fireball)

This above method is great for honor and finding a decent greater at the same time

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Farm Thrasher.

a lot of fame/karma/honor.
a near instant spawn, when he dies, another almost instantly spawns.
can do it in fel for twice the value
there are times he will spawn with almost no hps and dies in 2-3 hit from my greater dragon

O

Old Man of UO

Let's say you adhere to ALL the rules and let's suppose Miasma has a maximum of 1,000 Honor points. If you hit first maybe you lose 50 points. Maybe if you're a Tamer you lose 100 points. Maybe if you move you lose 30 points...etc. Maybe even you can break every single rule and still get 1 point of Honor. In the end you get any amount of Honor from 1 to 1,000 points but in absolutely every single case all you know is "you have gained in Honor".

I don't know if all the quoted rules are implemented or not but only a Dev can tell for sure. The evidence available to us doesn't allow for any specific conclusions.
HEH... MAYBE you just made all that up too!

We don't know anything for certain because we can't see the absolute points values for honor. The original argument was that you can't gain honor if you do certain things- not how much you gain- and I said you can and will stand by that, not how much you will gain. You're trying to prove me wrong by switching the argument, just not sure why you jumped on that argument at all. All I know is that the blue dot moves and that's what I care about.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

As a Legendary tamer with full honor points, I tamed a few Greater Dragons and used five Honor blue buttons out of ten.

Despite killing numerous Greater Dragons and Greater Dragon [Paragons] even allowing them to attack me first and receiving message "you have gained in honor" each time my pet killed one, I haven't gained another blue button in HONOR.

Does a tamer need to do battle with (eg) swords directly with the monsters to gain Honor? I didn't have a problem gaining 10 HONOR points before I started using HONOR to tame Greater Dragons.

Thrasher on the Fel side.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I find Balrons in the lowest level of Fan Dancer Dojo to be the best way toward Knight of Honor. You can use your pet to do the fighting for you, just make sure you Honor the Balron before your pet attacks. Most of the time I have my Nightmare on "Follow me," instead of "Guard me." That way I can Honor the Balron before my Nightmare beats me to it and attacks without my command. I have my macros set up like this:
1. Peace (in case the Balron targets me before I Honor him and get my pet on him).
2. Invisibility (in case he does come after me and I need to break his focus).
3. Honor
4. All kill
5. All follow me

But, if you Peace him you do not get any Honor. I just have to be quick to get my macro up for Invoke Virtue Honor and be ready to click on the next Balron that appears, then quickly order my pet to kill it. Doing this today I gained 8 blue dots in the last Follower stage before Knight in about 3 hours. HonorVirtueCricketNovaBalronFightingFandDancerDojo.jpg

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Alternative place is North of Chaos Moorgate in Ilshenar. Balron spawns in a secluded bend in the road which is easy to get to to grab your corpse if you do fck up.
Paragon balron may spawn now and then which can have nice loot (rarely but it happens).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, he is a ghost, so necro-threading is appropriate. And, with the changes since 2010, there might have been better ways come along.

Gossamer Moonfly

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I find standing on the same tile/spot as my pet is best as the monster targets pet 1st.
I'm a stealth tamer so I stealth in after giving pet the all follow me command.
Stop fairly close to the monster,
take one step back onto pets tile/spot,
honour,
all kill,
walk to pet,
vet as needed,
loot super fast when hunting balrons in Blood dungeon.

For para balrons I do the same but either call pet back to me after the all kill or wait for para to target pet and come into range to honour, let para come to pet then all kill and vet.

One downside to this is that magical monsters bless themselves and you can't honour as they are now considered damaged, which is rather annoying.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thrasher in Fel is still the best. He has 0 Cold/0 Energy Resist, so Cu Sidhes or any 100% Cold/Energy damage pet can tear through him fast (especially during EoO), and he almost instantly respawns. Chance at Spellweaving scrolls and ML Marties (Pads of the Cu Sidhe and Quiver of the Elements are still useful).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire steeds or succubus in Wildfire when it is their day to appear.

Without events, the Balrons at Chaos take 20 seconds to get to. You can res in Luna as needed.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I earn my honor on Miasma (need maps anyway) and on Arctic ogre Lord when go to fel to steal stuff from them

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posting in a long dead thread thus bringing it back to life
Thank you. I suppose I don't pay so much attention sometimes to the date of when a post is being made. I just recall wanting to know about gaining Honor myself at some point, put in the question on Google, and the subject was here on Stratics. When I finally got some skill in doing it myself, I posted a reply, believing someone else at some point might come along and wonder the same thing. Anyway, thanks again. Cute phrase, Necroing a Thread. Gonna have to remember that one.

Takako

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
guys have there been any new innovations since jan 28 2022? I'm just beating on balrons and god its taking forever

gwen

Slightly Crazed
guys have there been any new innovations since jan 28 2022? I'm just beating on balrons and god its taking forever
Try Arctic Ogre Lords.
Best way to gain is stone your tamer skills, take sampire skills and go fight toe-to-toe

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Back when Ancient Liches were a leftover event spawn from 2007-2012 outside Luna on Lake Austin, I managed to max honor on them.

Then, with my tamer, when the Kotl City spawn was constantly active right after the ToL introduction of it, I managed to get to Knight of Honor using that spawn, but had to be with a group where each person was fighting their own section of spawn (as doing it alone meant everything came after you and quickly overwhelmed the pet)

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Try Arctic Ogre Lords.
Best way to gain is stone your tamer skills, take sampire skills and go fight toe-to-toe
You can use a tamer with pet:
honor target
all kill onto target
all stop
(pet is dumb tank at this point)
stand 1 tile from target, kill with magery Spells.

Amount of honor given To player appears to be related to distance from player to target at time damage was dealt.

efreetia

Visitor
"The fastest way for a Tamer to gain honor is to pick up a sword. You can earn honor by fighting alongside your pets, and one specific way is to utilize your pet's skills to debuff or buff the owner. There are many skills to explore, such as 'Bodyguard,' which provides a 50% damage reduction for up to one minute."

A Tamer Warrior under the protection of the Bodyguard skill can easily defeat a Golden Balron even with 0 defense.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still say Thrasher in Fel is the best. He respawns almost instantly, and is quickly killed by a Chiv Cu (Thrasher has 0 Cold/0 Energy Resist). I've hit Knight of Honor multiple times on my Tamers killing him.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wy in Fel? More honour points there?
Honor point gain is based upon the Fame of the creature honored. Fel has double Fame. You also gain +1,000 Luck bonus in Fel (which isn't displayed), which affects the loot Thrasher has (can sometimes get some good Jewelry from him), as well as the chance for ML drops (like Pads of the Cu Sidhe/Quiver of Elements, which are both still useful).

Honor gain is also affected by distance from the honored target, letting the honored target land the first blow (very minor Honor boost, i don't bother with it), and Honor gain is greatly reduced if you use Poison Damage (either from Element or spell), so Poison damage pets are awful for gaining Honor.

Last edited: