• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Templates ffor both PvP and PvM now

HooderSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am returning to UO after a 2 year layoff and while I have kept accounts active I havent played. Im wondering what the best templates are with the all of the new content and updates Ive missed.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are you looking for a template to PvM and PvP with at the same time? hardly doable because you will have to make sacrifices that will either not allow you to do highend PvM stuff effectively or cripple your PvP ability.

for the new PvM content of the last 2 years tamers are probably the way to go, especially with the taming revamp. sampires and to a certain degree full bards are also still strong, especially when combined. no matter what you choose here you need to tailor everything to whatever monster you want to kill - for the tamer you will need certain pets with certain templates, the sampire also needs a certain template and special weapons depending on what he is supposed to kill.

PvP really depends on whether you prefer dexxer or caster types (and also on your ping to Siege). lot's of good builds out there for both. too much to list.

I know, all of this is really vague, but so is your question =)
the more specific you can be, the more specific the answers will be

welcome back!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
As Max said, your question leaves a lot of doors open and closed. With only one character allowed per account going to be hard to make just that one. I'm running four accounts, An archer, a bard, a tamer, and a crafter. And never enough time to play them all it seems these day

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
myst mage covers both very well. and would personally run as a garg

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Since I only have a single account I like running with a Tamer/ Mage. But I'm mostly interested in pvm. My only pvp tactic is stealthing away while my pet distracts. I've found it pretty effective, in about 6mo of being back to the game after being away 8 years and starting from nothing without a char token (because I didn't know they were allowed on SP these days lol) I've only been pked 3 times. Twice by Amadeus because he was a safe haven town citizen and I wasn't expecting to be attacked when I saw him coming... and once by Max Oak,, now Max is the stuff of nightmares right there, he'd make Freddy Krueger wet himself! Don't bother running from Max you'll just die tired lol
So anyway I have a lot of fun running Tamer/mage template pvm/pve and I can usually get myself outta a situation pvp. Hope this helps.

HooderSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah Sorry for being vague. I meant what template is good for PvM and what is good for PvP. separate templates. Doesnt look like much has changes as far a templates though. Im sure I need to study up on weapons and the like.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah Sorry for being vague. I meant what template is good for PvM and what is good for PvP. separate templates. Doesnt look like much has changes as far a templates though. Im sure I need to study up on weapons and the like.
again, this depends entirely on what exactly it is you want to do.

dexxer templates will do alright in PvP, as will mystic mages and even tamers (although they will be nerfed in pvp with the next publish). stealth, hiding and ninjitsu while hated by all other classes in pvp will provide a lot of survivability while also being able to do significant damage when combined with the right template and weapons. others like to run hybrid templates or pure caster templates (mystic mage spellweaver for example). it all really boils down to the initial question of whether you prefer dexxers or casters.

same basic question for pvm. caster/tamer or dexxer? and what are you planing to kill?

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Regarding mystic mages: what's the template/playstyle?

If it's based around just dropping a colossus to tank and running around casting, why wouldn't you just swap myst/focus for taming/lore and just use a tamed pet which are superior and permanent?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bo suggested mystic mage because it can do both PvM and PvP. Gargoyle so you can drop RCs to tank and still fly. Taming/Lore instead of myst/focus would mean that you cripple your PvP abilities because PvM tamers require different templates than PvP tamers and also the pets have vastly different templates - a pet that will be good for PvP will hardly do significant damage to a monster and vice versa.

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bo suggested mystic mage because it can do both PvM and PvP. Gargoyle so you can drop RCs to tank and still fly. Taming/Lore instead of myst/focus would mean that you cripple your PvP abilities because PvM tamers require different templates than PvP tamers and also the pets have vastly different templates - a pet that will be good for PvP will hardly do significant damage to a monster and vice versa.
I'm still not convinced. A gargoyle tamer can still fly with a 5 slotter pet down can't it? (sorry if not, never played a garg)

Thinking on a mystic mage template of something like Myst,Focus, Mage, Med, Eval, SW there are plenty of tamers that run Tame, Lore, Mage, Med, Eval, SW which would be far better for PvM and you could probably pick a reasonable tamed pet to help with PvP too.

Obviously you can drop SW for resist or whatever, but the point is, for the commitment of 240 points for Myst and Focus I can't see why you wouldn't just go with Taming and Lore nowadays.

Barbarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Regarding mystic mages: what's the template/playstyle?

If it's based around just dropping a colossus to tank and running around casting, why wouldn't you just swap myst/focus for taming/lore and just use a tamed pet which are superior and permanent?
Template is Mage/Eval/Myst/Focus plus whatever you wish to add depending what you are doing. You could add Med (or stick with 120 focus and some mana regen or 55lmc suit). You could go SW. You could go 60 SW and 60 necro (allowing all the necro curses to be used plus wraith form). You could add wrestling and spell book.

PvM tactics revolve around RC as you suggest; there are some good AoE spells as well. Combined with SW you can empower your summons to increase their effectiveness.

Tamer pets are always going to offer more than a Mage summons, however Mystic has far greater general utility for pvp and pvm. For example healing stone for instant heals, stone form for defence/poison immunity, cleansing winds to heal curse/poison and damage at the same time (great as a cross heal).

Mystic pvp play style is different and not normally based around RC, but very effective also. It offers good burst damage and defensive options.

HooderSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have pretty much all of the skills needed on stones to make any of the templates talked about. I havent run a mystic mage before so that seems intriguing. Although becoming a gargoyle boils my blood Bo!

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you have experience playing mages in pvp (and the ping for it) you won't have much trouble adapting to mystic mage - it'll be about 5 extra keys you'll have to get used to using. you don't HAVE to go gargoyle, but it's nice to be able to drop RCs without being dismounted - other than that humans or elves will do just as good.