• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Special Ability for High End Cu?

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Like the title says, I want to know what the best special ability is for a high end Cu. Just all around.

I know Explosive Goo is good for champ spawns and AOE fights.

I like Conductive Blast, but I don't know how good it actually is...

That sorta thing.

So what's the best special ability -all around- for a high end cu?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Depends on what you want to use your Cu for. A lot of people go for the Chiv+AI Cu which is good at single target damage (although not the best), but has some survivability due to Healing. A decent all-around pet. I myself prefer maximizing the Cu's tanking potential (which is what they really shine at, along with the Saurosaurus) by giving it Feint. A self healing Feint Cu is incredibly tanky, and is the only pet that i've seen that can reliably tank Exodus. Cus really aren't well suited for AoE. The Poison Breath+FWW Najasaurus is the king of AoE pets.

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'll take that into consideration, I purchased a naja the other day, not too expensive. 168.7 resist spells, but only 187 dex. I need to find a high dex one, huh?

Also, didn't really answer my question on the cu's :p :gee:

PageBoy

Journeyman
It depends on the situation... but if you want only a single Cu, amor ignore + chivalry is your best option imho

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I'll take that into consideration, I purchased a naja the other day, not too expensive. 168.7 resist spells, but only 187 dex. I need to find a high dex one, huh?

Also, didn't really answer my question on the cu's :p :gee:
Actually pet movement speed is capped at 180 Dex, so no reason to get one any higher than that.

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Armor Ignore, yes, that's the special move. I mean as far as special abilities goes, Steal Life, Conductive Blast, Grasping Claw, etc.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Armor Ignore, yes, that's the special move. I mean as far as special abilities goes, Steal Life, Conductive Blast, Grasping Claw, etc.
Is there a particular reason you want to use a special ability? I personally don't like any special ability for a cu. Steal life is fairly ineffective, conductive blast is too short, grasping claw only affects physical resist, etc. I'd much prefer some combination of magic, special move, and/or AEO on a cu.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Is there a particular reason you want to use a special ability? I personally don't like any special ability for a cu. Steal life is fairly ineffective, conductive blast is too short, grasping claw only affects physical resist, etc. I'd much prefer some combination of magic, special move, and/or AEO on a cu.
I agree.

None of the abilities are very good. Conductive blast might be good if you could add it to an animal that does 100% energy damage, but you can't. Grasping Claw is OK, but only on pets that do 100% physical damage, like a hiryu (armor ignore is better). The rest are broken or just nowhere near as good as the special moves or the area effect moves.

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do not put special abilities on my animals, with very few exceptions and unless they have pre-loaded ones.

Anytime you add an ability/move/aoe onto an animal, it will decrease (by roughly half) any other abilities you put on an animal.

A mana drained animal with no magics is only capable of using 7.5 abilities max a minute with proper mana recovery (370/30/120/120)

Less is more when it comes to animals unless they are for a very specific purpose.

Chiv/AI makes up a majority of my animals, because that is where the performance is.

I have specific animals for things like void pool, exodus and a few other things.

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So basically I should just make him Chiv/AI or Disco/AI, no extra bells and whistles. Reason I'm asking this is it's a pretty nice pure white cu, 594 HP, 605 str, 73 cold, 74 energy resist. Thing is pretty nice, I just don't wanna mess him up LOL :gee:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Depends on what you want to use your Cu for. A lot of people go for the Chiv+AI Cu which is good at single target damage (although not the best), but has some survivability due to Healing. A decent all-around pet. I myself prefer maximizing the Cu's tanking potential (which is what they really shine at, along with the Saurosaurus) by giving it Feint. A self healing Feint Cu is incredibly tanky, and is the only pet that i've seen that can reliably tank Exodus. Cus really aren't well suited for AoE. The Poison Breath+FWW Najasaurus is the king of AoE pets.
Info on Feint greatly appreciated, pertaining to Exodus, poss other very high end mobs?
What is the duration of feint and what exactly does it do? All defense of some offense?
So the Cu properly fit for Exodus that you use has : What moves/specials and magic? Is it possible to have AI/Chiv and Feint? Also Feint is 500 points due to need for Ninjitsu, right?
What other mobs are good for feint use? EM's, Scalis, Corgul etc?
Ty for info!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My one finished cu was specifically designed to tank single mobs that heal themselves, Disco/Mortal/Bleed, as my fellow tamer hunting partners tend to do the AI pets, and we wanted some variety that would complement each other.

I plan the next one to be Chiv/AI without anything else, but haven't found one yet I want to start working on.

As others have said, leave the AoE to other types.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually pet movement speed is capped at 180 Dex, so no reason to get one any higher than that.
190 DEX, actually.

So what's the best pet/build at single target damage then?
Ignoring stuff like which element is best against what boss? Chiv+AI pre-patch WW. They'll spam the hell out of AI, and have overcapped STR up to 760. No wasted ability slots on them.
As for specifically hunting bosses and targeting their weakest Resists? Chiv+AI Crimson/Platinum Drakes do great if their 100% Element targets the bosses' weakest resist. Only problem is their Dragon Breath. A Lesser Hiryu with Chiv+AI does even better against opponents weakest to Physical (such as Dread Horn).

Conductive blast might be good if you could add it to an animal that does 100% energy damage, but you can't.
There's specific tamer builds where a Conductive Blast pet is actually useful. Such as a 6x120 Tamer/Mage that utilizes Death Ray+Slayer Spellbook for huge damage, while using a Discord+Conductive Blast pet to tank the mob and debuff it's Energy Resist, making Death Ray deal massive damage. Cus and Unicorns with Conductive Blast are good for that build.

Info on Feint greatly appreciated, pertaining to Exodus, poss other very high end mobs?
What is the duration of feint and what exactly does it do? All defense of some offense?
So the Cu properly fit for Exodus that you use has : What moves/specials and magic? Is it possible to have AI/Chiv and Feint? Also Feint is 500 points due to need for Ninjitsu, right?
What other mobs are good for feint use? EM's, Scalis, Corgul etc?
Ty for info!!
Once the pet is at GM Bushido, Feint reduces all damage taken by 41% for 6 secs. At 120 Bushido, Feint reduces all damage taken by 50% for 6 secs. So if Exodus would normally hit your Cu for 80 damage (which he regularly does), he'd instead hit it for 47 damage during a GM Bush Feint, or 40 damage during a 120 Bush Feint.
My Feint Cu has no Magic abilities, and as for Special Moves, i've only added Feint to him. I want him to use Feint as often as possible. Chiv+AI+Feint Cu is not possible, too many Special Moves considering Cus also come with Bleed. Even if it were possible, it wouldn't be worth it, too much ability bloat. Yes, Feint takes 500 TP for the Bushido skill it requires.

The only way a Feint pet gains in the Bushido skill, is by using Feint. It doesn't have any other Bushido ability. Gregorio is the best thing to train a pet's Bushido on, since he's so easy to land hits on, doesn't take any pet damage, and barely deals damage himself.

Last edited: