• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Solo Champ Spawn Caster Template

• Thread starter Bort of Atlantic
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bort of Atlantic

I'll leave sampire/wraith thrower to another forum, but what are some of the better caster templates out there for champion spawns?

Criteria (in order of importance):

1. Ability to clear spawn quickly
2. Ability to not die
3. Ability to kill the boss solo

I'm currently running a wraith/mage that makes use of wither for spawn, but I find myself dying when casters show up, and I can't solo the boss effectively. Protection makes living against casters a bit easier, but I still get roflpwned by paragon casters in Ilshenar.

I did try a semi-caster the other day by way of a wraith running 4/6 with 105 chivalry and no magery. Holy Light is pretty fun and makes short work of low-level spawn as you can just run through the spawn while casting it, and you can also get in weapon swings to boot. It doesn't do a lot of damage (I think I capped out at 24 or 25 with neutral karma), but it seemed like a good way to mow through low-level spawn on characters that aren't centered around AoE damage. If anyone has made a character that makes good use of holy light, please feel free to post here.

Thanks in advance; I'm willing to completely adjust my template (bard skills, mysticism, spellweaving, whatever).

G

GFY

My template of choice is;

Mage
Eval
Med
Resist
Necro
Spirit Speak

All skills are 120 and I use a mage weapon with +20 magery on my jewels to offset the mage weapon.

When the casters show up I cans a couple of ev's to draw their fire and follow them in with wither.

For the champ I cast corpse skin, strangle, explosion, flame strike. When the ticks from strangle stop it's time to recast corpse skin and repeat. When mana gets low I cast fireball to regen mana. When Baracoon calls spawn I wither them away to regain mana.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest a Mystic/Necro as being the best for spawns.

Low level, wither is best.

When third level hits, throw on JoAT gift of renewal and use hail storm.

With level 4, use rising colossus to tank the damage and hail storm from a distance.

With the proper slayer spellbook and SDI, hail storm makes short work of most level 4 mobs assuming you're not getting killed.

For champs, it really depends. RC is a great tank. I've yet to see any single caster make short work of Rikktor though, but it is doable.

B

Bort of Atlantic

Thanks Lynk. I was thinking about the following starting template when I posted:

120 Necro
120 Spirit Speak
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
...and the question is, what do the last 240 points go to? 120 wrestling, 120 meditation, maybe resist?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Lynk. I was thinking about the following starting template when I posted:

120 Necro
120 Spirit Speak
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
...and the question is, what do the last 240 points go to? 120 wrestling, 120 meditation, maybe resist?
I would put magery in there, maybe just at 100. Teleporting is a great way to get lower level spawn to aggro and follow you. Plus you can always equip a -0 penalty mage wep if you need better natural defense. You would also be able to res friends, faster heal than cleansing (greater heal), arch cure, get protection on/ff easier.

Necro you can get away with 100 (maybe a little less even, I forget the minimum) to never fizzle wither. Wither damage is based purely off of SDI from items and spirit speak.

For a pure spawn caster, I would even throw on 120 spellweaving. WOD is great for bosses. Gift of renewal / attunement dramatically increases your survival chance when the level 3/4 spawn is whacking at you. Wind / Thunderstorm has far better diameter range than Wither or Hail Storm. Plus, you can also use the charmed ogre lords to tank champs against mobs that otherwise dispel your RC constantly.

That leaves you with 40 skill points, assuming you aren't using any + skill items (though on this build the crystalline ring would be a perfect fit, which gives you +40 skill points). So assume 80 remaining points. Typically since you'll be in wraith form you shouldn't have mana problems but meditation could be an option. Otherwise you could try to fit some other +skill in and get resist to 100 or better which could save you from mana drains.

B

Bort of Atlantic

Thanks again for the input. This doesn't have to be a pure caster btw, but it's certainly a possibility. If discord and music are better choices to complement necro and mysticism, I'm game.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It also depends on what spawns you plan on doing. If all you do is rat spawns, then I like my little necro/mage/spellweaver/peacer, and with a level 6 focus Essence of Wind pretty much kills everything on the screen on the first level, and the 2nd level you just Essence of Wind, move up half a screen and recast it and it kills everything behind you and knocks everything in front of you down to half. Levels 3 and 4 it's area peace and wither and ev's. Template works great for rats, but for other spawns I would rather use a sampire.

B

Bort of Atlantic

It also depends on what spawns you plan on doing. If all you do is rat spawns, then I like my little necro/mage/spellweaver/peacer, and with a level 6 focus Essence of Wind pretty much kills everything on the screen on the first level, and the 2nd level you just Essence of Wind, move up half a screen and recast it and it kills everything behind you and knocks everything in front of you down to half. Levels 3 and 4 it's area peace and wither and ev's. Template works great for rats, but for other spawns I would rather use a sampire.
I plan on doing most of the spawns with this character, not just rat. I am also running champ spawns on my sampire but enjoy playing multiple characters, and this one isn't up to snuff yet. I would like to give spellweaving a solid try, but on test center, you have to do the quest before you can use it.

Due to similar tactics to necro/mystic (tank + AoE), I'm curious how necro/tamer works out, e.g.

115 Taming (not sure exactly how much, but pretty sure these 2 don't have to be 120)
115 Lore
120 Vet
120 SS
100 Necro
120 Magery
Any points left to Meditation

Thanks to everyone so far for the input.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I plan on doing most of the spawns with this character, not just rat. I am also running champ spawns on my sampire but enjoy playing multiple characters, and this one isn't up to snuff yet. I would like to give spellweaving a solid try, but on test center, you have to do the quest before you can use it.

Due to similar tactics to necro/mystic (tank + AoE), I'm curious how necro/tamer works out, e.g.

115 Taming (not sure exactly how much, but pretty sure these 2 don't have to be 120)
115 Lore
120 Vet
120 SS
100 Necro
120 Magery

I use a necro tamer mage for my spawning, greater is good for pvp and killing the boss\tanking, necro mage otherwise and chuck bolas at anyone coming in to raid. I do not use vet tho.. I run eval instead because well.. damage is > ressing a dragon that rarely dies and their are potions to res. Honestly tho sampires are the best for any spawning, otherwise necro tamer mage imo. Wraith form, wither, all guard me.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and if you have a dreadmare .. or even a bane dragon this temp can be very strong straight pvp. My necro tamer is never going blue..

B

Bort of Atlantic

Do the quest on your production shard and then copy your character to Test Center. Should work, shouldn't it.
Good call; I finished the quest on my production shard and will give this a try (this feature wasn't available when I stopped playing a couple of years ago).

Avalonia

Visitor

115 Lore
120 Vet
120 SS
100 Necro
120 Magery

110 taming and lore is fine for hunting. 120/120 is better for taming.

Status
Not open for further replies.