• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best PVM bow type?

R

rwek

Is a crossbow the best DPS for pvm?

Not looking into a specials so much.

But if I were to make a 50 ML 40 SSI archery weapon, what would produce the best DPS?

Folks carry heavy crossbows for one shotting lesser creatures?

I am putting together bushido archer. Save me the learning curve please.

I sorta, figured 150 dex 40 SSI and used the calculator, but it doesnt show all bow types etc.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The crossbow has the best dps over time for bows its the bow or the Yummie I think
I carry the heavy for doing large amounts at one time for example the crimson dragon the more you hit it from a distance the more likly you are to get TPed to it when your hitting fewer times for more damage then chances are less plus with 50 mana leech and ls you never run outa mana and can get massive crits i have hit in the hundreds this way with eoo and concecrate going
oh one thing is stamina this will determain speed of weapon so at 180 stamina it could change as to what weapon dps is most
here is a good link to charts
http://users.lmi.net/~noodle/netathene/guilds/Posts/

R

rwek

More questions.

Is 43% max Mana Leech on a heavy xbow with 40 SSI?

I'm reading somewhere that ML is halfed on range weapons for max.

Anyway, so whats a crossbow,ssi 40, ML is max like 30-33?

Can you chain lightning strike with this? Or am I going to have to rely more on regen/ LMC then i used to with my dexer.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More questions.

Is 43% max Mana Leech on a heavy xbow with 40 SSI?

I'm reading somewhere that ML is halfed on range weapons for max.

Anyway, so whats a crossbow,ssi 40, ML is max like 30-33?

Can you chain lightning strike with this? Or am I going to have to rely more on regen/ LMC then i used to with my dexer.
Mana leech cap is like most any other weapon. The cap is 50%. As far as your assumption, yes you are mostly correct in terms of ML effectiveness. LMC is never a bad idea...would help to know what you're running now. You don't NEED to spam lighting strike to be effective. You do need enough mana to play around with though. Armor included, I sit at 102 mana and I never run out of mana. That is enough mana to do what I want and launch off specials as well.

LMC I sit at 40 though, and I carry depending on gear I have on, over 150 dexterity. Which really makes little difference, but is nice for kicks and giggles.

PvM bows, I have to say opinions will differ. CLEARLY, it will depend on YOUR own setup. i.e. how much tactics, anatomy and other damage modifiers you pack around.

Me personally it is on a situational basis.

1. Magical shortbow
2. Yumi
3. Regular crossbow
4. Composite Bow

I use all 4 of these on a regular basis. Heavy's ironically I hardly ever use for PvM. I have to say I probably use a yumi and a magical shortbow on a more frequent basis than the other weapons. Slayer x-bows are certainly nice when they pack some DI on them.

All I use is bows with mana leech however.

R

rwek

you missed the question on DPS.

You can't tell me 4 differnt bow types will offer the same dps.

I did understand one poster saying he uses a heavy xbow, harder hitting, not as good dps for things like crimson dragon but he does not get teleported too so overall his dps goes up.

But my questions was, what bow gives the best DPS in PVM. Assuming you can constantly damage without fearing special attacks.

Can you show me a SSI 40 Mana leech 50 "HEAVY Xbow" please? Just a screen shot will do. From what I read, if there is one, it would have had to have been enhanced.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
here is the link
http://www.uoguide.com/Hit_Mana_Leech
the formula is
hit mana/life leech=(base weapon speed * 2500) /( 100+ssi)
for bows devide answer by 2
so its not possible to have 50 mna leech on a heavy with 40 ssi

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you missed the question on DPS.

You can't tell me 4 differnt bow types will offer the same dps.

I did understand one poster saying he uses a heavy xbow, harder hitting, not as good dps for things like crimson dragon but he does not get teleported too so overall his dps goes up.

But my questions was, what bow gives the best DPS in PVM. Assuming you can constantly damage without fearing special attacks.

Can you show me a SSI 40 Mana leech 50 "HEAVY Xbow" please? Just a screen shot will do. From what I read, if there is one, it would have had to have been enhanced.
Storm really already gave you the best answer.

Crossbow gives the most DPS at 2.76. Next is the heavy at 2.75, then Repeating x-bow at 2.67. Next is Yumi at 2.57.

Other than that, your SSI and DI will be the only outside factors. You will have to do your own calculations on this link:

http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/arms.php

Additionally its not just the bows stats but your own as far as how much damage output you will do.

Also, I'm not sure what you are getting at as far as the heavy cross-bow, but you basically have to factor in the difficulty of making each bow. Some bows are easier to craft (and make a good one) then others.

As far as a heavy cross with 40 SSI. That is pretty rare I gotta tell ya. As far as the 50 mana leech. That's not. I have quite a few that have 50 mana leech. They also have descent DI (around 40 or 50 or so), and I believe 10 to 30 SSI. 40 though?...rare.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
in order to have 50mana leech the bow can spawn with 25 ssi enhanced with ash makes 35 ssi
now the highest mana leech you can have with 40ssi is 48 thats a spawn with 30 enhanced with ash to 40

C

Chaosy

Storm really already gave you the best answer.

Crossbow gives the most DPS at 2.76. Next is the heavy at 2.75, then Repeating x-bow at 2.67. Next is Yumi at 2.57.

Other than that, your SSI and DI will be the only outside factors. You will have to do your own calculations on this link:

http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/arms.php
One thing that doesn't take into account are weapon specials. You're going to get a lot more out of a composite spamming AI than xbows or heavies. Yumi has double shot which is nice, but in my experience AI works better.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Over All th best damage dealer by far is the heavy crossbow but this is with the following stats
100 STR
210 dex/stamina(max stamina)
120 tac
120 anat
with 60 ssi (maxssi)
100 di(max)
coming in at 66.8 DPS

the nearest contender is the crossbow with 60.4 and the next is the yumi with 54.8
now the interesting thing is look at the repeater its maxed at 30 dps now
so lets change our ssi from 60 to 0
now the highest dps is the yumi with 32 dps

and now lets take the dex to 100 to and now the repeater is the best dps with 20.89

so in conclusion it depend on you So the best high end weapon without mana leech is the heavy hands down

but if you must have mana leech on it then then its going to be one of the inatly faster bows like say short or repeater

hope this helps

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing that doesn't take into account are weapon specials. You're going to get a lot more out of a composite spamming AI than xbows or heavies. Yumi has double shot which is nice, but in my experience AI works better.
I'm not sure how that is relevant in terms of the posters terminology concerning DPS. Weapon specials take into account tactics...which is not archery, and RELY on mana pool.

Consequently, it is one's own build as far as how many specials they can execute (since eventually you run out of mana), and the tactics skill in itself.

I understand your point as far as weapon specials, but DPS is the amount of damage that can be dealt by a person over a time period of one second.

DPS is consistent regardless the situation. Weapon specials aren't.

C

Chaosy

I'm not sure how that is relevant in terms of the posters terminology concerning DPS. Weapon specials take into account tactics...which is not archery, and RELY on mana pool.

Consequently, it is one's own build as far as how many specials they can execute (since eventually you run out of mana), and the tactics skill in itself.

I understand your point as far as weapon specials, but DPS is the amount of damage that can be dealt by a person over a time period of one second.

DPS is consistent regardless the situation. Weapon specials aren't.
Yes, that's one way to look at it. However, the ability to spam certain specials often will impact your overall damage over time, which is what DPS calculates without any other modifiers.

T

Turdnugget

I agreee that being able to use weapon specials does help a lot with DPS. Unless we're talking about straight DPS w/out the use of Consecrate/EoE/LS etc...

When the skeletal liches were around I used a whammy with a hatchet that has the AI special. I could constantly spam LS, AI, LS, AI etc etc w/out ever not being able to use those 2 specials due to constant mana leech. I was AI'ing for 150 each time and 80+ per LS with the crits here and there. Doing far more damage had I just been doing LS the whole time.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, that's one way to look at it. However, the ability to spam certain specials often will impact your overall damage over time, which is what DPS calculates without any other modifiers.
Sure that is correct. I was thinking in just bare bones technical terms. In the event that an archer can execute weapon specials...especially to not run out of mana, then yes that can have a DRAMATIC effect on damage per second output.

A

Arch Magus

Is a crossbow the best DPS for pvm?

Not looking into a specials so much.

But if I were to make a 50 ML 40 SSI archery weapon, what would produce the best DPS?

Folks carry heavy crossbows for one shotting lesser creatures?

I am putting together bushido archer. Save me the learning curve please.

I sorta, figured 150 dex 40 SSI and used the calculator, but it doesnt show all bow types etc.
After reading the last half of this thread, I thought I would redirect all posters' attention to this line in bold. :hug::D

We all know specials are important, but not as important in PVM.

To add my 2 cents about bows, I absolutely love my Heavy crossbow that I found on a baracoon:
30 SS, 30 DI, 30'ish mana leech, 30'ish stamina leech.

Not too incredibly slow with 160 stamina and Dvinine fury. Hits like a truck. Never run out of mana or stamina. Great for boss fights.

Now for the main reason I love high dps xbows over fast bows: I use tons LESS ammo! lol.

seriously...

C

Chaosy

Oops, missed the part where he said specials weren't a factor. To be honest, going straight with the best DPS isn't always the best idea, as there are many factors that play into combat (both PvP and PvM).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
After reading the last half of this thread, I thought I would redirect all posters' attention to this line in bold. :hug::D

We all know specials are important, but not as important in PVM.

To add my 2 cents about bows, I absolutely love my Heavy crossbow that I found on a baracoon:
30 SS, 30 DI, 30'ish mana leech, 30'ish stamina leech.

Not too incredibly slow with 160 stamina and Dvinine fury. Hits like a truck. Never run out of mana or stamina. Great for boss fights.

Now for the main reason I love high dps xbows over fast bows: I use tons LESS ammo! lol.

seriously...
This is the one I use hits like a truck to and like you I never run outa mana

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oops, missed the part where he said specials weren't a factor. To be honest, going straight with the best DPS isn't always the best idea, as there are many factors that play into combat (both PvP and PvM).
If that were the main reasoning, then this whole thread is irrelevant. As far as my own personal tastes, no I don't use DPS as the main damage determinant.

And, yes...there are plenty of other factors to consider: e.g. what the mob is resistant to, what it is weak to, what bow piles up the best damage based on special and situation. There are plenty more factors to consider.

E

eolsunder

The most important aspects of a PVM bow.

SWING SPEED of course. This is the most important ability that all bows need. If a bow doesn't have good ssi, its worthless even if it has good mods.

Mana leech. Very important. Most moves are mana intensive, so you need mana mana mana. A good mana suit, and a good mana leech bow. Yes bows are nerfed with mana leech, but you still need as much as possible.

Hit spell. Doing more damage is very important, you want to try and get something with hit lighting/fireball, even velocity. A fast magical shortbow that has 50 hit lighting will leave a 40ssi heavy xbow without any hit spell effect in the dust. I have a great 50 hit lighting fast magical shortbow, it tears up foes with damage.

Slayer property. A great benefit if you can get it.

Pretty much any bow is great if you have 30-40 ssi on it, makes the bow much more effective. I say 30 ssi is a minimum on any good bow these days.

The other properties.. depends on what you want. And what you use the bow for.

Hit lower defense is nice but if you are hunting peerless or with groups, someone already has hit lower defense equiptment and that won't benefit unless you are solo hunting.

So, a nice bow?

30+ ssi
40+ hit spell effect
30+ hit mana leech

then other properties that you can find.

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although you want the max DPS for an archery weapon in PVM, there are also other considerations like special moves, but also range plays a huge role too. I actually prefer a regular bow or a composite b/c they do more damage than a Yumi and are faster, the specs are better as well. Para/Mortal are both very useful in PVM b/c para actually works for its entire duration and mortal is good for the pesky redlined mobs with magery healing. AI/Moving shot speak for themselves, AI is huge and moving shot is nice if u have loads of mana.

The deal breaker for me is range, I prefer to be at 10 tiles with a bow, than at 8 tiles with an xbox b/c it also means they cant hit me with their missile attacks like firebreath. I've soloed Rikktor with a Yumi, it takes awhile but I was barely hit, only time Rikktor actually hit me was when I would miss a LS and sat still to be hit by his area effect. You can time it where each time you hit with LS, you move a few steps to stay outside his firing range, then when he comes into range you are ready for your next shot...it works great.

So in short, I'd take a heavy hitting bow/composite any day of the week over an xbow/heavy. Only thing that matters to me is actually SSI and if I can get it, Stamina Leech, it seems that stamina leeched back is WAY more than mana, and with Honor, I have enough mana to last me most of a fight, but I hate having to cast Divine Fury when stamina drops. I also run without resist, carry a trapped box, and have 90 Med for mana...I never run out, and I can do a few Word of Deaths at the end for added fun.