• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Best place to get maps?

L

lancelot99

I'm making a new T-hunter and need maps

so, where to get or what creatures drop the most maps?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, the guardian room in Doom is your place to be. 1 map per kill. For each person / pet in that room 2 guardians will spawn.

L

lancelot99

Umm... i think the Doom guardians are a little out of my league (i die before even getting into the gauntlet) :-(

Ill try miasma...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
levels 1 - 4 can be gotten by doing the hag's quest. Takes a while, but it's not as challenging for a training char.
UO Stratics *New* | Witches Apprentice

If you do it in Fel the level 4s have a chance of containing Scrolls of Transcendence as well as the other items like alacrity scrolls, recipes etc.

Also dark guardian is not dark father. The room is in the main area before the gauntlet.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guardians are in level1 of doom. No need to go into the gauntlet. They are as tough as a regular lich.

G

Gowron

I also recommend considering Dark Wisps in Ilshenar. When they drop a chest, it will be a lvl 5.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guardians are in level1 of doom. No need to go into the gauntlet. They are as tough as a regular lich.

What is the level of the Maps they drop ?

I am asking, because the Hag quest gives only Maps up to level 4, Miasma gives level 6 but I am not sure about the Guardians in Doom......

Edit. Found the information. They give Maps up to level 3 max.

Apparently, the only monster that drops Level 6 is Miasma, there is no other monster in the entire game that drops them.........

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently, the only monster that drops Level 6 is Miasma, there is no other monster in the entire game that drops them.........
Miasma is not alone. Paragons of monsters that normally drop Lv 5's, will drop Lv maps. Also, you have a chance to get a Lv 6 map, whne you dig up a Lv 5 chest.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, we have a whole website full of playguide information should you choose to consult it. The information you seek is on this page:
UO Stratics *New* | Treasure Map Quests
But to save you the effort of clicking on the link I will copy/paste here.

6 Ingeniously Drawn (in a chest)
Paragon Ancient Wyrm, Paragon Balron, Paragon Betrayer, Paragon Blood Elemental, Paragon Ethereal Warrior, Paragon Greater Dragon, Paragon Meer Eternal, Paragon Poison Elemental, Paragon Rotting Corpse, Paragon Skeletal Dragon, Paragon Succubus, Paragon Titan, Miasma, Pyre, Rend, Abcess, Putrefier, Master Theophilus, Stygian Dragon

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, we have a whole website full of playguide information should you choose to consult it. The information you seek is on this page:
UO Stratics *New* | Treasure Map Quests
But to save you the effort of clicking on the link I will copy/paste here.

6 Ingeniously Drawn (in a chest)
Paragon Ancient Wyrm, Paragon Balron, Paragon Betrayer, Paragon Blood Elemental, Paragon Ethereal Warrior, Paragon Greater Dragon, Paragon Meer Eternal, Paragon Poison Elemental, Paragon Rotting Corpse, Paragon Skeletal Dragon, Paragon Succubus, Paragon Titan, Miasma, Pyre, Rend, Abcess, Putrefier, Master Theophilus, Stygian Dragon

Thanks Petra.

Is Miasma the only one that gets the level 6 Map inside a chest ?

I mean, the other monsters that have a chance to drop it, whether the Paragons or Pyre, Rend, Abcess, Putrefier, Master Theophilus, Stygian Dragon, just drop the Map alone, not in a chest ?

Also, the chance of a Level 6 Map drop is moreless the same for all these critters or did anyone somehow experience better drops hunting some of them over the others ?

The reason I am asking this, is that I think I recall drops to be somehow tied up with the monster's Fame and these Monsters do not all have the same Fame.

That is, they all have a chance to drop a Level 6 Map but since their Fame is not the same, I would imagin that those with higher Fame "could" have a higher chance to drop a Level 6 Map.

But is it really so in reality ??

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason it says '6 Ingeniously Drawn (in a chest)' is because the map is in a chest.

Level 6s come in chests, be it Miasma chests or paragon chests.

All those creatures give level 5 maps as normal loot, therefore if they give a paragon chest - the map that is in that chest is one level higher. This includes Miasma. Level 5 Tokuno maps can be gotten from it. Maps in chests are random facet.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason it says '6 Ingeniously Drawn (in a chest)' is because the map is in a chest.

Level 6s come in chests, be it Miasma chests or paragon chests.

All those creatures give level 5 maps as normal loot, therefore if they give a paragon chest - the map that is in that chest is one level higher. This includes Miasma. Level 5 Tokuno maps can be gotten from it. Maps in chests are random facet.

Miasma and all the Paragons drop level 6 Maps in a chest.

But what about Pyre, Rend, Abcess, Putrefier, Master Theophilus, Stygian Dragon ? Do they also spawn a chest that contains a level 6 Map ? Or do they just drop the level 6 Map as a standalone ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IF you were to follow the links above to the hunter's guide pages you would find it says:
Special: Level 5 Treasure Map, level 6 Paragon Chest.
Miasma is a ML 'named monster' as are the others, excluding Stygian dragon, which is an SA 'named monster'.

All named monsters have a chance to drop a map. All named monsters have a chance to drop a paragon type chest with a map one level higher.
Not all named monsters drop the same level map. Lurg, for example, only has a level 3 map and level 4 chest. All those named monsters which drop level 5 maps, and therefore chests with level 6 maps, are in the list provided above.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IF you were to follow the links above to the hunter's guide pages you would find it says:
Miasma is a ML 'named monster' as are the others, excluding Stygian dragon, which is an SA 'named monster'.

All named monsters have a chance to drop a map. All named monsters have a chance to drop a paragon type chest with a map one level higher.
Not all named monsters drop the same level map. Lurg, for example, only has a level 3 map and level 4 chest. All those named monsters which drop level 5 maps, and therefore chests with level 6 maps, are in the list provided above.

Hmmm.... thanks.

So, the bottom line is that there is not 1 single creature in the game that drops level 6 Maps as a "standalone" item, I mean, not in a chest ?

That is, in order to get a level 6 Map a player has to get a whole chest that contains it ?

A

anna anomalous

yes, they only come in chests because they were added to the system. getting the chest is NO different than getting the map, you just have to unlock it. miasma is just one of the best sources because they are extremely easy to kill.

JasmineSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Playing on Siege, I don't want to give too much away, but I prefer getting maps from blood elementals. They drop level 5 maps and I prefer to get my level 6 maps from those chests. Note that level 6 maps sell at a fair price here, if I want to buy some.

There are ways to get more maps, but the loot from the blood eles alone is enough to keep my vendors stocked, my Lady Jasmine title permament (even here), and the maps are a welcome bonus. Worth considering, are maps the means or the end for a treasure hunter?