• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best pet to compliment an archer?

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just wondering everyone's opinions before i decide where to focus my efforts.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it funny how sometimes people expect answers without providing even the slightest details... (no offense, just a general remark)

archer can mean anything from someone with a magical shortbow with hld and hla simply making it easier for their pet to someone who tries to chain armor ignores in wraithform.

What template are you running on the archer. This will pretty much determine what level pets you can use.
Will you be able to fit in 120 taming and lore? Will it be less?

Is the pet or the archer supposed to be the one who deals the major damage?

How are you going to keep your pet healed?

What are you expecting to fight with this combo?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was thinking of an Archer / pet user. Not a tamer.

To make a decent archer you need:

Archery 120
Tactics 90
Chivalry for EoO and consecrate and healing/cure/curse removal. 100

You have room for 120 Taming and Lore. You need around 90 Vet to res the pet and heal it.

Thats 640 points.

So there is room for another partial skill. Anatomy for damage maybe?

Also you would need to run Consume damage on long fights.

I would not use this a a tamer. It would make a decent pet user.

How does that build sound?

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
that's where i was heading with my setup, what pets would best compliment a build like that. Thank you =)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds fun. A Cu would or lesser with Chivalry would be a pet with lower maintenance than ones that cant get Chiv. They work great for most Mobs. Plus you can mount and get away as needed.

Once you get the hang of the build you could try a non mountable pet. Or try a Giant beetle with Rune Corruption if it can fight without a lot of heals.

Keep us updated.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
So what I have so far:

Character-
120 archery
120 taming
120 lore
120 chiv
105 tactics ( 90 real, +15 on jewelry )
100 spellweaving ( gift for healing & wod for killing )
85 anatomy

Pet #1-
Fire Beetle
RC & AI

Pet #2-
Lion
Healing, Poisoning, Grasping Claw, Aura of Nausea

*On a side note, my Pre-patch chiv mare just got to 120 chiv..... woohoo LOL

Last edited:

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Suit is done, couldn't find a nice bracelet with +15 anat. so skills are what was posted previously. Specs are all 70s, 100%lrc, 40lmc, 40 hit chance, 20 def chance, 75 damage inc, 40 ssi, 15 sdi, 5 hpr, 5 sr, 9 mr, and misc stats (mostly int/mana/stam boosts)

fire beetle is working on 120'ing wrestle, tacs, anat.
lion is just bonded and working on training.

what should i test this character on?

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Suit is done, couldn't find a nice bracelet with +15 anat. so skills are what was posted previously. Specs are all 70s, 100%lrc, 40lmc, 40 hit chance, 20 def chance, 75 damage inc, 40 ssi, 15 sdi, 5 hpr, 5 sr, 9 mr, and misc stats (mostly int/mana/stam boosts)

fire beetle is working on 120'ing wrestle, tacs, anat.
lion is just bonded and working on training.

what should i test this character on?
I suspect that fully trained fire beetle with RC to drop resists consistently plus fire damage, not sure if Goo but would test first on TC1, with archer/tamer. Now if Bows can also do fire poison or damage, PLUS : HLD. HLA, DI. These on top of the great debuff from RC to resists would make a decent try. But you will need some dex, and stamina. That may restrict the template a little bit. But sounds fun to try. You have the pet tank, and you hit with the bow. Other option may be a 50/50 pet with healing like Cu since these are real tanks esp for energy susceptible bossess/creatures, then using an energy bow. But you will not get the RC from the beetle..Post here what you do, it will help others also.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My first crack at taming back in October was as an Archer Tamer.

I didn't care for it on bosses, but otherwise, it was pretty fun and deeps strong on everything else.

I went:
95(120) Archery
100(110) Tactics
100 Anat
120 Chiv
105 (120) Taming
100 (120) Lore
100 Vet
... and filled in skills for Taming/Lore/Archery/Tactics. Used a high-powered suit, had full stats. My only problem was Mana spam for Ai and healing the pet from a distance. I couldn't get boss kills very quickly or smoothly as I would like, without approaching the pet and getting aggro or AoE damage from the boss.

Later, I turned human and added 20/20 Necro/Spirit and used Wraithform, which was really nice, since I was walking around anyway.

I was solo-playing, strictly, so eventually, in order to tackle bosses, I needed a ranged heal and had to add Magery, so took out Anat for 100 Magery. I basically turned into a healer of my pet with average dps from bow and was in sore need of Discordance.

Thus, I moved to a Disco-tamer.

However, if someone else could disco a boss and share the pet tankage, I could easily do Ai spam in a small push. Still had to watch for aggro-change. It was really fun.

It's a great template though for Aoe killing with Goo/WW and Fire Shot/Lightning Arrow. I would like to go back and re-tweek the template now that I know more.

Last edited:

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I suspect that this temp is so cramped that is hurting. Can you try to use Mage bows, remove Archery altogether, bump up magery, and bump up lore/taming so yhou can control more securely higher level pets?
Are mage bow hard to make? (magery -15, slayer, DI, SSI, XX on them or something like that). What Dex/Stam are you using in archer/tamer though? Also I suspect you miss a lot with archery 95 without rings?) Are u using rings to bup up archery and taming/lore?

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I actually did try the Magery-bow path and the only thing missing was Armor Ignore and other weapon-skills. The DPS was watered down with just auto-attack.

Crafting bows is quite easy and owning the usual plethora for slayers was required; granted, I did not possess cameo's at the time.

With really expensive (or found) legendary jewelry, overcoming skills isn't a major issue, just tedious; but possible.

I actually should mention: I did not have Consume Damage at the time, nor was I spec-ing pets for tanking, or even using Cu-s and Lions or tank heavy pets much for that matter. I'd like to go back and tweek that temp, now that I know more.

I bet I could pull it off.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I would also think that you will probably want a tanking pet that has debuffs on it, and does not need lots of veting, Cusidhe with debuff specials and a matching bow? Or a pet fire beetle for the fire and the rune corruption, or a Fire Steed with Chiv heals and buffs, Or necro pet with necro heals, and corpse skin and you are hitting with a 100% fire elemental bow with DI/HLD/?HLA/?SSI on it? Many different combinations..

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is absolutely no pet that will say aloud, "Thou art the nicest and best archer in all the land."

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Video (Unable to get a circle going so i didn't use my spellweaving =/)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How did you do on a paragon? I bet they switch to the archer.
The beetle is a good pet choice.

Try T rex.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I didn't have a problem with a paragon, but only did one. Ill try T-Rex tomorrow and see how it goes, hopefully i can get a circle tomorrow though

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't have a problem with a paragon, but only did one. Ill try T-Rex tomorrow and see how it goes, hopefully i can get a circle tomorrow though
Nice. My Archer Bard gets out when a Paragon pops up. Also my macer.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No luck testing t-rex, never did the quest so i got spammed with my attacks being ignored bc I'm not on the correct quest step LOL (also no luck getting a circle to test full usability, damn small shards!!! LOL) Suggest another tough monster not quest related?

EDIT:
Added in my lion's info also killed para balron x3 no issues, slower, but still not a problem =)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No luck testing t-rex, never did the quest so i got spammed with my attacks being ignored bc I'm not on the correct quest step LOL (also no luck getting a circle to test full usability, damn small shards!!! LOL) Suggest another tough monster not quest related?

EDIT:
Added in my lion's info also killed para balron x3 no issues, slower, but still not a problem =)
The quest is there in the village. You go Sakkhra on a crystal cross bridge and go in the big Hut.

Then talk to High Chieftess. You have to go by on way to dinos.

You can get the Dino slayer armor. It is not a bad dexxer suit.

upload_2018-4-30_15-13-16.png

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
T-Rex was not possible to solo for me, he switches agro to much =/ with no method of hiding i could not keep his tiny arms from ripping me a new one LOL

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
T-Rex was not possible to solo for me, he switches agro to much =/ with no method of hiding i could not keep his tiny arms from ripping me a new one LOL
Ya thats why I chose him. Some Spawn bosses switch when you attack them also. You are still in testing phase.

I don't think the Great Ape changes targets.

Go to Barako on the crystal and get quest from the High Chief. You can stay on the ground and click him or climb up to the walkway.

upload_2018-5-1_12-48-2.png

Then go in Great Ape Cave on the crystal.

upload_2018-5-1_12-48-57.png

Pull him down the hallway and put pet on him.

upload_2018-5-1_12-51-39.png

You will get pulled into pits with gorillas. Just run out by using a corner of the pit.

The Ape will also play Donkey Kong With you. Have a G Heal ready.

This fight will also take a while but you will get used to playing the Build and pet together.