• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best pet / Temp for invasions?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Looks like possibly Disco tamer with Fire beetle with AP/RC maybe? Or Frost Beetle AP/RC and split damage cold/phys?
The generals behave like they have 25,000 HPS..Take long time to bring down..

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best damage output I have seen is 5 wolf spiders with a disco/tamer. This requires a tank though...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best damage output I have seen is 5 wolf spiders with a disco/tamer. This requires a tank though...
My Disco/Tamer runs "As One" with 5 Wolf Spiders, as my 4x120 Bard/Mage runs Provo Masteries to buff and heal up the Wolf Spiders. Can even take out the Frost Dragons this way, but my Bard/Mage will need to throw out G-Heals on the spiders during then too.
Each Wolf Spider is dealing 100-130 damage every hit to a discoed General, so about 500-650 damage every 1.25 secs.
The Wolf Spider pack struggles with Stratos though, due to his frequent Chain Lightning AoE.

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did just fine with my Fire Beetle, RC/AI/Poison/Goo. Never even really have to heal when you aren't using consume. I've also tried a Frost Drake but it didn't do as well as my Fire Beetle.

The generals behave like they have 25,000 HPS..Take long time to bring down..
At least they're good to train pets on, and pretty good gains too!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I did just fine with my Fire Beetle, RC/AI/Poison/Goo. Never even really have to heal when you aren't using consume. I've also tried a Frost Drake but it didn't do as well as my Fire Beetle.

At least they're good to train pets on, and pretty good gains too!
Ty for info. My AP/Poison/RC beetle was overcome only by a pile up of Ancient Wyrms, GDs, and a few drakes. Had to run consume of course, also beetle is with still some points remaining like 520 or so, is 5 slot, and no power scrolls. Still did ok.
I was wondering how a 50/50 cold energy pet (cu) would do and it did not do better with same spawn. Next step will be disco tamer with the fire beetle and the RC and see what happens.
Cant get any Spell book dropping Generals. How do you recognize them? They have a staff? Or nothing in hand?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If I'm solo I use a chivalry/armor ignore Cu or Triton with my mage/spelleaving/tamer. If I'm with a group I'll run an rc/ap fire beetle. And I run a very high sdi suit, reaper form, with arcane empowerment. I never have to run consume so I can focus all my mana on spells. I solo generals rather easily even with a bunch of stuff on my pet. A necro tamer with an rc/ap fire beetle works really well also. wod1k.JPG

Last edited:

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure witch pet is best for invasions, personally i use a lesser bush/ai hiury he does nice damage, and can tank a lot.
I do however think that weaver tamer is one of the better templates, wod with a lvl 6 focus does tons of damage :)

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not sure witch pet is best for invasions, personally i use a lesser bush/ai hiury he does nice damage, and can tank a lot.
I do however think that weaver tamer is one of the better templates, wod with a lvl 6 focus does tons of damage :)
wod for massive damage, gift of renewal that heals your pet over time, gift of life that will res you or your pet, Essence of wind and thunderstorm for some of that extra AOE damage at champs, and the much underrated Attunement that will absorb physical damage that you take for a brief period of time. It's saved me from countless deaths and it's another necessity to solo the roof imo. I"d say weaving is one of the best compliments to taming period. With enough sdi, I often see my WoD hitting close to 700 if I combine it with arcane empowerment.

I do miss having eval int though. Without it, the only magery spells worth casting are your heals. I have close to 100 sdi and my fireball only does 3-7 damage for example, to even a mongbat lol.

Cant get any Spell book dropping Generals. How do you recognize them? They have a staff? Or nothing in hand?
I've never seen an unarmed General myself but, I've gotten books from the ones holding staves. I don't do the invasion anymore though. I got a 49 sdi book on my first night, collected a few bloody capes and called it quits. Let the vultures have at it.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ty for info. My AP/Poison/RC beetle was overcome only by a pile up of Ancient Wyrms, GDs, and a few drakes. Had to run consume of course, also beetle is with still some points remaining like 520 or so, is 5 slot, and no power scrolls. Still did ok.
I was wondering how a 50/50 cold energy pet (cu) would do and it did not do better with same spawn. Next step will be disco tamer with the fire beetle and the RC and see what happens.
As @leloyon mentioned mages have staffs, i have never seen an unarmed one either :)

For invasions its all about damage, and mobility, so you need a mountable pet, some hotkeys to mount/unmount you can make those in UO Assist.
That means u can leave your luck suit at home, have a balakai staff / spellbook you can switch around with a hotkey. (staff is for defense, and u swap to spell book when you are "safe" )

You dont want a pet with AOE damage, you want to do single target damage to the mage.
AOE is bad because your pet will agro all the surrounding spawn, and u dont want your pet to fight the entire town, let the other kids deal with that while your pet do damage to the mage, and you chain e-bolt to maximize your damage on the mage, and increases your chance of getting a cool book.

You need to be early at towns, when u enter a town find the clever kids as i call them, usually they will run fast around check all buildings etc etc, just follow them and they will show u where the mages are.
Don't stop to loot when a mage is dead, follow the smart kid, he will show u the next mage..
Remember he did show you the first one :)

Invasions is not teamplay, its you vs everyone else, because only top damage gives the cool books.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As @leloyon mentioned mages have staffs, i have never seen an unarmed one either :)

For invasions its all about damage, and mobility, so you need a mountable pet, some hotkeys to mount/unmount you can make those in UO Assist.
That means u can leave your luck suit at home, have a balakai staff / spellbook you can switch around with a hotkey. (staff is for defense, and u swap to spell book when you are "safe" )

You dont want a pet with AOE damage, you want to do single target damage to the mage.
AOE is bad because your pet will agro all the surrounding spawn, and u dont want your pet to fight the entire town, let the other kids deal with that while your pet do damage to the mage, and you chain e-bolt to maximize your damage on the mage, and increases your chance of getting a cool book.

You need to be early at towns, when u enter a town find the clever kids as i call them, usually they will run fast around check all buildings etc etc, just follow them and they will show u where the mages are.
Don't stop to loot when a mage is dead, follow the smart kid, he will show u the next mage..
Remember he did show you the first one :)

Invasions is not teamplay, its you vs everyone else, because only top damage gives the cool books.
AoE is disabled in the invasions. Hard to tell if pets still use mana on abilities that don’t work, or if they don’t use them at all.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AoE is disabled in the invasions. Hard to tell if pets still use mana on abilities that don’t work, or if they don’t use them at all.
Good info m8, i didnt know that, only used a lesser hiury with bush/ww/ai :)
My point was more or less, that she has to be a selfish son of a erhm shoe salesman :)
If she want those books, and that being nice doesn't pay off.
This event is what i call a ME ME MEEEEEEEEE event, and i don't like those because it brings out the worst behavior in a lot of people.
People setup hidden bots, like they do to monitor fel spawns at the town crier in britt, then they rush in when a city is active, kills the mages, and rush back out.
So no I'm not a fan of the current event :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
They could have made the generals, all the generals a little bit more difficult, and make it so that every general, mage or not have an equal chance of dropping a book, and some more trinkets half useful.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
luck doesn't matter?
Nope. Luck is to increase the properties on items, like a sword having 5 properties instead of 2. The invasions either give you a special book drop or they don't, based entirely on damage. Same reason luck doesn't help with getting EM event items.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do miss having eval int though. Without it, the only magery spells worth casting are your heals. I have close to 100 sdi and my fireball only does 3-7 damage for example, to even a mongbat lol.
What tamer build are you running that you don't have eval int?

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What tamer build are you running that you don't have eval int?
I have:
110 Magery (May lower to 105 when I get a 120 weaving)
110 Med
115 Weaving (Still looking for a 120 scroll honestly)
30 resisting spells (using cuffs of archmage to boost it up a bit more)
120 taming and lore
115 vet (probably a bit excessive but, no real reason to drop it)

30 resists is just for a little extra survivability. I could drop med for eval but I tend to play a more defensive role and tend to keep taming masteries on constantly. Now, even without 0 med, with full MR I can keep a taming mastery running without issue. But with med, it allows me to gain mana faster without needing to disable the mastery. Plus with 110 med, I could just disable the mastery, and activate med to gain all my mana back in several seconds so there's little down time for when I need to cast Word of Death, or to continue healing. Without the med, by the time I reach full mana again while my pet isn't under the effects of consume or some other mastery, my pet will be dead.

Works well enough for me.