• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best One Handed Sword With A Shield?

I currently have a paladin

Chiv 120
Sword 120
Anatomy 115
Tactics 110
Healing 110
Parry 100
Resist 100

These numbers are just how the jewelery worked out.

I was wondering what type of sword anyone else carried with their shiled and why?

Thanks,

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I currently have a paladin

Chiv 120
Sword 120
Anatomy 115
Tactics 110
Healing 110
Parry 100
Resist 100

These numbers are just how the jewelery worked out.

I was wondering what type of sword anyone else carried with their shiled and why?

Thanks,
Raident scimitar for ww attacks

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have a similar 'Sword & Board' Paladin (although I switched him over to Macing instead of Swords in recent years). When I still had Swordsmanship on the build, I had a set of Longswords (for Armor Ignore) and Radiant Scimitars (for Whirlwind). For each of those two types of swords, I had full set of elemental types and slayer types to cover pretty much all bases. It can be a high damage output build with great durability if played right. Make sure you have different weapons macroed across your bar for various situations.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a similar 'Sword & Board' Paladin (although I switched him over to Macing instead of Swords in recent years). When I still had Swordsmanship on the build, I had a set of Longswords (for Armor Ignore) and Radiant Scimitars (for Whirlwind). For each of those two types of swords, I had full set of elemental types and slayer types to cover pretty much all bases. It can be a high damage output build with great durability if played right. Make sure you have different weapons macroed across your bar for various situations.
I changed to mace as well stagger for the win !

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Alternatively you can use a bladed whip for whirlwind. It got better base damage.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Katana has both Double Strike and AI (although less AI damage than the Longsword). If an opponent has below 50% in a resist (which Onslaught can lower the resist by up to -20), then Double Strike out damages AI, except for if the opponent is very difficult to land hits on (extremely high Wrest/Parry).

But yeah, my Paladin is a Macer as well. The introduction of Treasures Paragons that are immune to Life Leech brought back bandage healing Warriors, and the defensive power of Stagger (-60% SSI for 10 secs) pairs extremely well with bandy healing. The extra +30 Max HP from Toughness also helps when fighting heavy combo spellcasters like Lich Lord Paragons.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Skull longsword (artifact from treasure hunting). No need whetstone.
Shield -Grugor one if you are not in Eodon.
Transmogrify shield on a pirate one (or on shield orb) and gargoyle paladin will be able to use it too, with stone war sword.

Do you use Chiv a lot ? Together with resist spell and bandage healing looks like overkill.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skull longsword (artifact from treasure hunting). No need whetstone.
Shield -Grugor one if you are not in Eodon.
Transmogrify shield on a pirate one (or on shield orb) and gargoyle paladin will be able to use it too, with stone war sword.

Do you use Chiv a lot ? Together with resist spell and bandage healing looks like overkill.
Longswords can easily be reforged for higher HML. Skull Longswords can't.
Gargoyle Melee basically don't exist. I had a Gargoyle Swordsman for awhile before switching him to Thrower. Gargoyles don't get access to Swamp Dragon Armor (20% PvM Damage Reduction for Exceptional, 12% on Paroxy Swampy), and they mostly have inferior weapon selection as well. Many of the Gargoyle Macing weps, don't inflict extra Stamina damage like the Human ones do.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Longswords can easily be reforged for higher HML. Skull Longswords can't.
Gargoyle Melee basically don't exist. I had a Gargoyle Swordsman for awhile before switching him to Thrower. Gargoyles don't get access to Swamp Dragon Armor (20% PvM Damage Reduction for Exceptional, 12% on Paroxy Swampy), and they mostly have inferior weapon selection as well. Many of the Gargoyle Macing weps, don't inflict extra Stamina damage like the Human ones do.
Skull longsword saves lots of gold on whetstone. Lots of folks still don't know that.
Absence of a swampy is a problem . But if you are not running a lot (e.g. fighting one target standing still and using some form) it is ok.