• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Build for this OSSEIN RAM ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After quite a long searching, I was able to tame this Ossein Ram here below.

Since it cost quite a lot of effort to get it, I would like to train it in the best possible way, to avoid it getting wasted with a bad training....

Any good advice from more expert Tamers ?

Yes, I have seen the Thread Chiv Ossein Ram .

Chivalry on an Ossein Ram, invalidates its "Innate Battle Defense".... isn't it thus a waste of training points to invalidate an innate Magic Ability, especially in an Ossein Ram which has only a limited amount of training points ?

Yes, the Ossein Ram also has Life Leech, therefore, with Chivalry and Armor Ignore, it "should" Leech more Life because doing more damage.....

Too bad, though, that Chivalry needs Mana to function, and also Armor Ignore has a cost of 30 Mana....

Therefore, what good would it do a Chivalry + AI if the Ossein Ram cannot be given a very Larga Mana Pool to burn ?

The Thread about that Ossein Ram build, indicates 137 Mana (370 Intelligence) because of the limited training Points at disposal, I would guess....

So, when the Mana runs out, the Chivalry+AI would not be able to trigger and the Ram would therefore do less damage and, consequentially, Leech less Life.

But those are the training points available, even with an Ossein Ram of very high intensity.... not enough to play with, satisfactorily.... If one puts them into mana, then they got to be taken away from somewhere else....

Anyways, any good suggestions on what would be the best build for this hard to find intensity Ossein Ram so as not to screw its training ?

Thanks.

Ossein Ram.jpg

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After quite a long searching, I was able to tame this Ossein Ram here below.

Since it cost quite a lot of effort to get it, I would like to train it in the best possible way, to avoid it getting wasted with a bad training....

Any good advice from more expert Tamers ?

Yes, I have seen the Thread Chiv Ossein Ram .

Chivalry on an Ossein Ram, invalidates its "Innate Battle Defense".... isn't it thus a waste of training points to invalidate an innate Magic Ability, especially in an Ossein Ram which has only a limited amount of training points ?

Yes, the Ossein Ram also has Life Leech, therefore, with Chivalry and Armor Ignore, it "should" Leech more Life because doing more damage.....

Too bad, though, that Chivalry needs Mana to function, and also Armor Ignore has a cost of 30 Mana....

Therefore, what good would it do a Chivalry + AI if the Ossein Ram cannot be given a very Larga Mana Pool to burn ?

The Thread about that Ossein Ram build, indicates 137 Mana (370 Intelligence) because of the limited training Points at disposal, I would guess....

So, when the Mana runs out, the Chivalry+AI would not be able to trigger and the Ram would therefore do less damage and, consequentially, Leech less Life.

But those are the training points available, even with an Ossein Ram of very high intensity.... not enough to play with, satisfactorily.... If one puts them into mana, then they got to be taken away from somewhere else....

Anyways, any good suggestions on what would be the best build for this hard to find intensity Ossein Ram so as not to screw its training ?

Thanks.

View attachment 140354
Chiv Ai ... This is not a beginner pet , requires more than all kill and watch...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chiv Ai ... This is not a beginner pet , requires more than all kill and watch...
That is why I am here asking for advice from more expert Tamers about what build would be the most appropriate for this pet.....

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
not an expert as only recently returned but my thoughts:
- benefits/gains from going chiv ai over losing points from replacing battle defense is worth it
- mana will run out regardless of spec. What would you prefer, pet to blow its mana doing bigger damage with chiv ai, or a pet blowing it’s mana on disarm and paralyze? Especially when disarm can make things worse on some mobs. Also that is why the points go into intel over mana. The intel increases it’s mana regen rate to give it better sustain than just loads of mana that disappears and doesnt regen fast enough
- even when the ram is out of mana, it will still leech more with chiv ai compared to battle defense. Out of mana but enemy of one active, bigger hits. Regen enough mana for a move, uses ai instead of disarm.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
You will not listen to anything , and will troll us that you plan to do the worst way possible. And will also never tell the results. Because you never trained even one pet. So do whatever you want to do with your imaginary ram. You can give it imaginary 120 scrolls and release.

Ungoliant

Journeyman
You will not listen to anything , and will troll us that you plan to do the worst way possible. And will also never tell the results. Because you never trained even one pet. So do whatever you want to do with your imaginary ram. You can give it imaginary 120 scrolls and release.
I play Great Lakes. I have a Chiv AI ram. It does well.. I have seen it hit for over 400 pts damage with berserk activated. If you would like to see it I can drag it out for you.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I play Great Lakes. I have a Chiv AI ram. It does well.. I have seen it hit for over 400 pts damage with berserk activated. If you would like to see it I can drag it out for you.
Chivalry AI pets with life leech do well. I have Tsuki and it dishes our nice damage too. It is all about who is pets owner

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Ungoliant

Do you mind specifying what training you gave to your Ossein Ram ?

If you gave it a low Mana pool, but high intelligence and max Mana Regen, do you find that it can regain Mana "decently", to be able to sustain its Chivalry and AI mana needs ?

That is, have you seen its high damage rates to be consistent over time, or does it do a lot of damage, initially, but then, as it burns out of Mana, it significantly reduces its Damage capabilities other then a spike, from time to time, as it regains enough Mana to trigger an Armor Ignore or a Chivalry spell ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chivalry AI pets with life leech do well. I have Tsuki and it dishes our nice damage too. It is all about who is pets owner
I fail to understand how, being a different pet owner, would affect the damage done by a Chivalry AI pet with life leech......

One a pet is trained up, how could different pet owners prompt different damage rates in pets with the same exact training and fighting the same exact Monsters ?

Say that 2 pet owners have 2 identical Chivalry AI pets with life Leech, and they attack the same exact Monster.

Why would the 2 damages done by the pets go differently just because the 2 owners are different but the pets and the targets are the exact same ?

Sure, 1 of the owner could do more damage to the target because of a better offensive template along with the damage that the pet does, and, thus, kill the target more quickly.... but this, I would imagine, has no impact with the damage done by the pet which strictly and solely relates to what training and, thus, stats, the pet has.

That I know of, the only interactions that a Tamer can have with its/her pet is through Healing and Curing. That's it.

Can't help its Mana to regen, other then pulling the pet out of the fight for a while which hardly ever works.... since pets usually go with what they want and not with the stop or follow commands that the tamer might issue....

So, I do not see, once a training is done, how a pet owner could affect its pet's damage output.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like to understand "why" things work as people say they should.

When people give a shortened advice such as do this and that but fall short when having to explain the logics underlying their suggestions, I tend not to follow those suggestions since I do not understand the logics that would back them.

When, instead, people give suggestions explaining their reasoning behind those suggestions, and those explainations make sense, I do follow them.

Unfortunately, often one hears different people giving conflicting advice....

Take for example the issue of casting with pets and their Mana needs....

Some people advice on having a Mana Pool as large as possible so that the pet has enough Mana to sustain its mana needs until the Target drops dead more quickly, because the pet never runs out of Mana.

Other Tamers, instead, say that it is pointless to invest too many training points in a very Large Mana Pool since it will run out, eventually, especially on higher end Monsters whose fight takes more time, and it is better to invest those training points in more Intelligence besides the maxed out MR, and to limit the pets' abilities so as to avoid it wasting mana on spells which do not help shelling out high damage, as well as investing training points in Meditation/Focus 120, if these skills are available for the pet, so as to "sustain" that pet's mana needs.

So, who is more right ?

Those Tamers suggesting a Mana Pool as high as possible, or those Tamers suggesting a low (150ish) Mana Pool but investing heavily on Intelligence besides MR maxed out as well as having Meditation/Focus, if available on the pet, being maxed out to 120 ?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
So, who is more right ?

Those Tamers suggesting a Mana Pool as high as possible, or those Tamers suggesting a low (150ish) Mana Pool but investing heavily on Intelligence besides MR maxed out as well as having Meditation/Focus, if available on the pet, being maxed out to 120 ?
no one is more right. There are different situation, different skills of a tamer and different mobs. People prepare pets tailoring them special for some adventures. Or making them like ducks who can walk swim and fly , but does everything not so efficiently.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I fail to understand how, being a different pet owner, would affect the damage done by a Chivalry AI pet with life leech......

One a pet is trained up, how could different pet owners prompt different damage rates in pets with the same exact training and fighting the same exact Monsters ?

Say that 2 pet owners have 2 identical Chivalry AI pets with life Leech, and they attack the same exact Monster.

Why would the 2 damages done by the pets go differently just because the 2 owners are different but the pets and the targets are the exact same ?

Sure, 1 of the owner could do more damage to the target because of a better offensive template along with the damage that the pet does, and, thus, kill the target more quickly.... but this, I would imagine, has no impact with the damage done by the pet which strictly and solely relates to what training and, thus, stats, the pet has.

That I know of, the only interactions that a Tamer can have with its/her pet is through Healing and Curing. That's it.

Can't help its Mana to regen, other then pulling the pet out of the fight for a while which hardly ever works.... since pets usually go with what they want and not with the stop or follow commands that the tamer might issue....

So, I do not see, once a training is done, how a pet owner could affect its pet's damage output.
This is all because of your attitude. You see tamer as a battery for a pet. There are lots of ways to increase pet's damage: lowering mobs resists , stats , hitting mobs with AP or onslaught, discording, cursing, running Provo buffs or berserk , or death ray Having another tamer`s pet with nausea, or Archer mastery. . Feeding pet with a treat. Peace buff, by the way, increases Mana regen.
In Vas Mani also increases pet`s damage by keeping it with high stamina

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no one is more right. There are different situation, different skills of a tamer and different mobs. People prepare pets tailoring them special for some adventures. Or making them like ducks who can walk swim and fly , but does everything not so efficiently.
Possibly..... yet, it all looks so vague to me..... keeping saying it depends here and it depends there, certainly does not help the UO players who approaches Taming and would like to hear more precise indications as to what type of pet Traning Build was to be suggested for what type of hunt....

For example, since we are here on Stratics, the very informative Stratics' Hunters Guide, at the bottom of a given Monster's Page lists:

Best weapon material against this creature:
Most important damage type against this creature:
Most important elemental resistance against this creature:
Which it helps a player using a Dexer to then decide what Weapon to use to fight that given Monster more effectively.

I see no such thing for Pets Taming.

Not even some generic advice that a Build of Type X could help towards Monsters of a given type while a Build of Type Y for the same pet could help more towards Monsters of another type.

It is all always so generic and vague, lots of it depends here and it depends there, that, in the end, those UO players less experienced with Taming eventually, after screwing up their first few pets, entirely give up with Taming.

Furthermore, in my example on whether to invest in a very large Mana Pool or to have a limited Mana Pool and invest more heavily training Points on Intelligence and, where present, on Meditation/Focus 120 scrolls (besides the maxing of MR) so as to have a more responding Mana Regeneration for that pet, why could it not be indicated to fellow UO players less experienced at Taming that build A is more directed to Monsters of a given type, while build B is more directed to Monsters of that other given type ?

Why leave players in the vague, never indicating more precisely that a given Build focusing on certain aspects is more effective for a specific type of Monsters ?

It is this vagueness which I do not like.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Best weapon material against this creature:
Most important damage type against this creature:
Most important elemental resistance against this creature:
Which it helps a player using a Dexer to then decide what Weapon to use to fight that given Monster more effectively.

I see no such thing for Pets Taming.
Really ? Can you realize that different pets have different damage type and that you can assign resists in different order ?
How ignorant are you , hard to believe.
Just go with Chiv/ AI Cut Side then. Be a duck !

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@popps and regarding your questions about vollem on off forum , you can check base stats on uo-cah.com They are very correct.
You also can login on test shard and tame a dog , or two or many and level them there. To see how many points each increase takes.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all because of your attitude. You see tamer as a battery for a pet. There are lots of ways to increase pet's damage: lowering mobs resists , stats , hitting mobs with AP or onslaught, discording, cursing, running Provo buffs or berserk , or death ray Having another tamer`s pet with nausea, or Archer mastery. . Feeding pet with a treat. Peace buff, by the way, increases Mana regen.
In Vas Mani also increases pet`s damage by keeping it with high stamina
I gave up on using Tasty Treats on pets because of the downtimers.

They can be usefull for a 1 time kill once a while but if one needs to farm a given spawn with a pet, which is usually how most of UO's gameplay usually goes, Tasty Treats, because of their downtimers (20 mins, 1 hour or 2 hours), cannot be relied on.

Yes, the Resilience Peace buff increases Mana Regen but the way it works, it requires a significant investment in bardic skills at +2 MR for the pet per "10 points in each of the three barding skills over GM (22 at 4x 120) ". That is, a 120 Peace/Music Tamer Bard, as I understand the wording, would get a mere +4 MR bonus for the pet yet, with an investment of 240 skill points on the Template...

And I am also skeptical about the impact that higher intelligence may have on a pet's Mana regeneration rate....

There is a good calculator at the UO CAH web site Pet Mana Regen Calculator | uo-cah.com

I tried with 100 Intelligence and 400 Intelligence on a pet with 30 MR, 120 Meditation/Focus and 150 Mana and increasing the Intelligence of 300 which has a cost of 150 Training Points on an Ossein Ram, all it does, is raise the Mana per Second from 3.51 to 4.33 . Not even 1 full point of Mana per second increase but only 0.82 points of Mana per second increase....

This, from spending 150 Training points on Intelligence....

If one considers how pretty much most that a Pet does consumes Mana, and a lot of it (for example, each time a pet uses Armor Pierce or Armor Ignore 30 Mana go down the drains...), a mere 0.82 points per second in increased Mana Regen when raising with training Intelligence of that pet from 100 to 400, will surely provide a little more mana to burn, but with Mana burning away in 10s and 10s of points per spell or ability trigger, it won't help that pet for long....

I mean, to accumulate 30 Mana "extra" to be used for an additional Armor Ignore or Armor Pierce to trigger, some 30/0.82 = 36.58 seconds will be needed and this, when having had to invest 150 Training Points on the pet to raise its Intelligence from 100 to 400.

The real problem is, that the Mana costs are way too high for pets, to my opinion, and unless the pet kills the target really fast, after the initial burst of damage, then things start slowing down sigificantly for that pet doing less damage because having less mana to burn and this, for a pet like an Ossein Ram that has Life Leech and does need to do as much damage as possible to Leech back as much Life as possible, spells for no good.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
so you never had bard and discussing (incorrectly, because of your impressive skill to read correct information in wrong way) resilience ? Go to test server , increase music and peace and try.

Copy your ram to test server and try different builds. If you are not satisfied with pet Mana regen - use sampire then or wraith archer/mage/whatever.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Honestly all this debate could be solved if the pet gump showed stats in real time as it does on a player stat gump. Never happen.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@popps is it really that hard for you to figure out, being that you are a 4 year plus tamer according to you?
Did skills, abilities or magics change on pets since Publish 97? Nope. AI/Chiv does the most damage.

The 120 version:

The Novice tamer version:

That is a very hard to get intensity Ram. Please give it to someone who will use it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@popps is it really that hard for you to figure out, being that you are a 4 year plus tamer according to you?
Did skills, abilities or magics change on pets since Publish 97? Nope. AI/Chiv does the most damage.

The 120 version:

The Novice tamer version:

That is a very hard to get intensity Ram. Please give it to someone who will use it.
@Pawain

Interesting choices for the 120 Version which I would like to understand why you made some choices, if i may....

You decided to train Poison up to 80 and cold leave it at 44. Is that because, after Physical, Fire and Energy damage, Monsters tend to do more Poison damage as compared to Cold ?

Why did you prefer 80/44 rather then 62/62 for example ?
NOTE. Why did you leave the Resistances short of 1 point from the CAP ? Your total in this build is 364/365.....

The other interesting choice, is that, while @PlayerSkillFTW in his Ossein Ram build here Chiv Ossein Ram chose not to give Hit Point Regen to a pet that has Leech life, which one would think kinda makes sense, you decided to invest 360 Training Points into 20 HPR on top of the Life Leech ability of the Ossein Ram rather then, for example, to increase its Hit Points or Mana.....

I would really love to hear the logic supporting this choice.

Thank you.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain

Interesting choices for the 120 Version which I would like to understand why you made some choices, if i may....

You decided to train Poison up to 80 and cold leave it at 44. Is that because, after Physical, Fire and Energy damage, Monsters tend to do more Poison damage as compared to Cold ?

Why did you prefer 80/44 rather then 62/62 for example ?
NOTE. Why did you leave the Resistances short of 1 point from the CAP ? Your total in this build is 364/365.....

The other interesting choice, is that, while @PlayerSkillFTW in his Ossein Ram build here Chiv Ossein Ram chose not to give Hit Point Regen to a pet that has Leech life, which one would think kinda makes sense, you decided to invest 360 Training Points into 20 HPR on top of the Life Leech ability of the Ossein Ram rather then, for example, to increase its Hit Points or Mana.....

I would really love to hear the logic supporting this choice.

Thank you.
Go tame another and build one with HPR and without. Get both to 100 skills and see which one you can keep alive the easiest.

Rams, Cus, Hiryus, Beetles, etc are disposable pets. I have guides that show you how to get the base build. You choose the magic, abilities and make it. If it sucks make a different one.

Do you want to be a tamer and do your own experiments? Or just have the best weapon? @Lex Darion will be glad to sell you a built pet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Give the Ram away and get another non standard pet.

The Reptalon!

1676088156340.png

1676088114521.png

Play, kill stuff.

Can easily make these have FWW/Chiv

They have enough room to put the Mana as high as you want.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you really want to be a bad ass tamer then you can move up to a PP Bake Kitsune. But AI/Chiv is too easy. You have to prove you found one of the best ones and make it make it FWW/Chiv.

1676088866982.png
1676088893749.png
1676088930728.png
1676088973598.png

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Real bad ass is High Plains Boura. You can raise everything to it's 4th slot with AI +AP and ride swampy . Don't need to look for expensive prepatch.

popps , ram is not for your level if you ask why pawain chooses resist the way he does. Even answer is in your previous post #13 in this very thread where you mention mobs resist and important resists against each of them. Because that is for dexxers, right? There should be additional table saying Most important pet's elemental resistance against this creature:
or something like this. Because how dare can anyone think about using "table for dexxers" if his toon is a tamer ? :cool: Ridiculous perverts those who do this, right ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Real bad ass is High Plains Boura. You can raise everything to it's 4th slot with AI +AP and ride swampy . Don't need to look for expensive prepatch.

popps , ram is not for your level if you ask why pawain chooses resist the way he does. Even answer is in your previous post #13 in this very thread where you mention mobs resist and important resists against each of them. Because that is for dexxers, right? There should be additional table saying Most important pet's elemental resistance against this creature:
or something like this. Because how dare can anyone think about using "table for dexxers" if his toon is a tamer ? :cool: Ridiculous perverts those who do this, right ?
Wouldn't it be easier to just "explain" the logic underlying given choices about the training of a given pet ?

After all, "explaining" is what, usually, those more knowledged do towards those less knowledged to have them understand what is the logic undelying a given choice...

It is called "teaching".......

Telling to someone to go learn themselves, on their own, does not look like to me exactly a teaching approach from those more knowledged to those less knowledged...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you really want to be a bad ass tamer then you can move up to a PP Bake Kitsune. But AI/Chiv is too easy. You have to prove you found one of the best ones and make it make it FWW/Chiv.

View attachment 140479
View attachment 140480
View attachment 140481
View attachment 140482
If it is a pre-patch, it no longer is obitainable in the game other then from other players....

That makes it kinda impossible to "find" one of the best ones since, one would imagine, players would hold onto them or, sell for ridicolous amounts of in-game gold which would then make the cost of the pet impossible to recover over time.

Basically, to my viewing, pre-patch pets are a "forget about it" that they even exist.... they are not even worth trying.... they cost way too much and, usually, they do not pay back their cost, not even in a long time.

With pets that are currently available in the game it is possible just fine to go to the same hunts and get the same loot... only, not "as easily" as using these pre-patch pets.... but who cares... their cost makes them not worth it, to my opinion.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go tame another and build one with HPR and without. Get both to 100 skills and see which one you can keep alive the easiest.
Well, I consider @PlayerSkillFTW a very knowledged and experienced UO player.... yet, in his Ossein Ram build here Chiv Ossein Ram he did not allocate any Training Points for Hit Point Regeneration.

I consider you also a very experienced UO Player and you think otherwise suggesting, if I understood you correctly, that, instead, allocating Training Points for HPR is needed (or just usefull ?) for an Ossein Ram build.

Now, if I see 2 UO players that I consider very experienced in the game, having different opinions on whether a stat may or not be necessary for the same type of pet, an Ossein Ram, something does not add up here, to my opinion....

The way I see it, it cannot be both.... EITHER Hit Point Regeneration is necessary for an Ossein Ram, OR, it is not, because Life Leech is suffice.

So, now, which is which ?

Do not get me wrong.... of course , I do understand that it is preferable to have HPR if one has "points to spare " in the build of an Ossein Ram but, hardly one has training points in excess to allocate on stats, unless they are very necessary and much needed for a more efficient and better fighter pet.

Considering how the CAP for Hit Points is 1,100 and that for Mana 1,500 , if wanted, one can always add remaining training points to HP or Mana, unless they are much more needed elsewhere for that given pet....

So, to my viewing, the bottom line argument is about whether or not, a pet having Life Leech and given Chivalry+AI which is currently the top damager set up with a maxed out Strength of 700 on a pet (and, to my understanding, the Life Leeched is dependant on the amount of damage that the pet might do), may or not still NEED also HPR or not.

I said "need" as in, absolutely necessary.... of course it is "more beneficial".... but is it also absolutely a "must have" stat over instead allocating those Training Points elsewhere, is my question?

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Wouldn't it be easier to just "explain" the logic underlying given choices about the training of a given pet ?

After all, "explaining" is what, usually, those more knowledged do towards those less knowledged to have them understand what is the logic undelying a given choice...

It is called "teaching".......

Telling to someone to go learn themselves, on their own, does not look like to me exactly a teaching approach from those more knowledged to those less knowledged...
Logic is to make pet low in one resist and later avoid taking it where mobs do this type of damage. Otherwise you can make all resists equal and suffer everywhere. You can make some resist low depend where you plan to take given pet.
It is not about knowledge and teach .More about common sense. Especially if you already have knowledge where to find foe damage types.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Logic is to make pet low in one resist and later avoid taking it where mobs do this type of damage. Otherwise you can make all resists equal and suffer everywhere. You can make some resist low depend where you plan to take given pet.
It is not about knowledge and teach .More about common sense. Especially if you already have knowledge where to find foe damage types.
OK, point taken.

Yet, I have a recallection and, please, correct me if I am wrong, that the damage done by Monsters in Ultima Online sees Physical damage as the most ubiquitous, followed by Fire damage and the Energy damage.... then, Cold damage and last, is Poison damage.

That is, the "odds" of having to fight Monsters who deal Cold damage is more common as compared to Poison damage.

Is that so, or is it not ?

If, indeed, it is more common to find Monsters dealing Cold damage as compared to Poison damage, wouldn't it make more sense to have the Cold Resistance higher then the Poison Resistance so as to be able to fight a wider range of Monsters with that pet ?

Again, I am trying to find logic in choices so that I can learn from the ratio being used, and perhaps, also other UO players less experienced like me, might learn from this "teaching" about how things work in UO in regards to Taming and the training of pets....

Or, is it that perhaps the Ossein Ram is a particular pet which could do particularly well against Poison damage dealing Monsters to justify preferring to raise the Poison Resistance vs,. the Cold Resistance of this pet ?

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
OK, point taken.

Yet, I have a recallection and, please, correct me if I am wrong, that the damage done by Monsters in Ultima Online sees Physical damage as the most ubiquitous, followed by Fire damage and the Energy damage.... then, Cold damage and last, is Poison damage.

That is, the "odds" of having to fight Monsters who deal Cold damage is more common as compared to Poison damage.

Is that so, or is it not ?

If, indeed, it is more common to find Monsters dealing Cold damage as compared to Poison damage, wouldn't it make more sense to have the Cold Resistance higher then the Poison Resistance so as to be able to fight a wider range of Monsters with that pet ?

Again, I am trying to find logic in choices so that I can learn from the ratio being used, and perhaps, also other UO players less experienced like me, might learn from this "teaching" about how things work in UO in regards to Taming and the training of pets....

Or, is it that perhaps the Ossein Ram is a particular pet which could do particularly well against Poison damage dealing Monsters to justify preferring to raise the Poison Resistance vs,. the Cold Resistance of this pet ?
@popps , I personally never was fighting that "average monsters" in UO. Where I go there are just several types of them with well known damage and specials/magery/other skills . So my sampire can take all 5 or more double axes and all cameos. My tamer only have 5slots for pets, so I will choose one that works best for that situation. If I go there often - I will raise special pet for this.

Now about HP Regen: only special thing Ossein ram has is life leech. To make it work better other players use different techniques and templates. Berserk for example. Which will cut HP regen greatly. But you as your previous post show don't want to do any of that. You even don't want to know about it , like it is forbidden for you You have your (more religious than rational) understanding of Only One True Tamer Template . Pawain gave you planned pet for your OOTTT . He also made another for your hunt on "average UO monster" to suffer equally everywhere.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poops I have read a number of your posts over the years. You have a tendency to critique this game to the n’th degree. Part of the allure of this game is to experiment and test different techniques. Rather then have players spoon feed you everything. It’s possible that you can discover new and constructive information to help assist the player base.
It’s a game treat as such and have fun!
Riply

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Eodon has a lot of mobs with poison damage. I like to kill stuff there and you can train on allosaurus, they give greatly gains. So personally I make my pets with low cold high poison when that is an option. For the average player, I will tell them the opposite, since most do not go to Eodon.

I have not done a lot of posting about Bake Kitsune, hoping they remain in the shadows. I have 6 that I know of, maybe some more on tamers who hold pets.

Paid 100 or so million for one with high fire resist. The rest were 25 to 75M.
Also only paid more than 100M for one Nightmare, it was 89%. Sold it later for around 300M. I don't like the grey ones.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If it is a pre-patch, it no longer is obitainable in the game other then from other players....

That makes it kinda impossible to "find" one of the best ones since, one would imagine, players would hold onto them or, sell for ridicolous amounts of in-game gold which would then make the cost of the pet impossible to recover over time.

Basically, to my viewing, pre-patch pets are a "forget about it" that they even exist.... they are not even worth trying.... they cost way too much and, usually, they do not pay back their cost, not even in a long time.

With pets that are currently available in the game it is possible just fine to go to the same hunts and get the same loot... only, not "as easily" as using these pre-patch pets.... but who cares... their cost makes them not worth it, to my opinion.
Touching on this i often wonder what kinda return do people expect when they spend a plat on a pet

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then put the Ossein Ram under Berserk, and realize that it's HPR gets cut by 90% while berserk (20 HPR suddenly becomes just 2 HPR while Berserk). Life Leech pets in particular have a unique interaction with Berserk, in which their self healing not only isn't nerfed by Berserk, but actually buffed by it due to dishing out more damage while also taking less incoming damage. Berserk reduces HPR and incoming/self healing by 90% (turning other pets into a kamikaze). While under Berserk, a 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Ram can dish out 300-400+ damage AIs, and stay alive. You don't see any other pet dishing out that kind of damage while being able to survive.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then put the Ossein Ram under Berserk, and realize that it's HPR gets cut by 90% while berserk (20 HPR suddenly becomes just 2 HPR while Berserk). Life Leech pets in particular have a unique interaction with Berserk, in which their self healing not only isn't nerfed by Berserk, but actually buffed by it due to dishing out more damage while also taking less incoming damage. Berserk reduces HPR and incoming/self healing by 90% (turning other pets into a kamikaze). While under Berserk, a 120 Chiv+AI Ossein Ram can dish out 300-400+ damage AIs, and stay alive. You don't see any other pet dishing out that kind of damage while being able to survive.
While the pet is not under berserk it has 20HPR. You can keep either version alive so the points for HPR are not needed anywhere else. Where else would you put the points? HP and mana are the only stats not maxxed.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While the pet is not under berserk it has 20HPR. You can keep either version alive so the points for HPR are not needed anywhere else. Where else would you put the points? HP and mana are the only stats not maxxed.
Stamina Regen. This is a pet who's self healing is based on melee damage output, so keeping them swinging at max speed also increases their survivability.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stamina Regen. This is a pet who's self healing is based on melee damage output, so keeping them swinging at max speed also increases their survivability.
@PlayerSkillFTW and @Pawain

So, if I am understanding it correctly, the school of thought of 2 very knowledged and experienced UO players is that while Pawain suggests to invest those training Points into Hit Point Regeneration, the school of though of PlayerSkillFTW is to invest them into Stamina Regen.

Please, in order to help lesser knowledged and experienced UO players like me and others out there in regards to what really matters and one should look at, when planning the training of a given pet, could you elaborate your respective thinking and support with arguments your choice of either invest those traning points into HPR or SR so that many other UO players can learn what should be the correct and better thinking to be given when planning the training of a pet in UO ?

I would also like to know what @gwen and @Khaelor , @Khyro who also I consider very experienced UO players, particularly in regards to Taming, might think on this issue and whether one or the other choice would be preferrable to pick to allocate training points on this Ossein Ram.

This, to try learn what the underlying "thinking process" when deciding to allocate Training points on a pet is.

Thank you so much.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

So, if I am understanding it correctly, the school of thought of 2 very knowledged and experienced UO players is that while Pawain suggests to invest those training Points into Hit Point Regeneration, the school of though of PlayerSkillFTW is to invest them into Stamina Regen.

Please, in order to help lesser knowledged and experienced UO players like me and others out there in regards to what really matters and one should look at, when planning the training of a given pet, could you elaborate your respective thinking and support with arguments your choice of either invest those traning points into HPR or SR so that many other UO players can learn what should be the correct and better thinking to be given when planning the training of a pet in UO ?

I would also like to know what @gwen and @Khaelor , @Khyro who also I consider very experienced UO players, particularly in regards to Taming, might think on this issue and whether one or the other choice would be preferrable to pick to allocate training points on this Ossein Ram.

This, to try learn what the underlying "thinking process" when deciding to allocate Training points on a pet is.

Thank you so much.
because they each like different things you are never going to find the one definitive answer because there isn't one...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Thank you so much.
How about... instead of trying to learn from other players, you go out and learn from experience (like those players did) then come back so you can be the teacher? Once you have mastered all aspects of UO, please come back and enlighten us. :)

Ascalon

Adventurer
From my game play experience, I've found that HPR slowly refills Hit Points. It's an area where you can trim points off a build because the use cases for it are low and its value is low.

Like others are encouraging, you can test this with your character build and play style to see what is the best fit for you. For example, I usually add a bit extra to the pet's hit points because I have a slow connection. For my use case, it's helpful and makes a difference, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tell players to build pets that work well with a novice playstyle. Say all kill and keep the pet alive.

Others may tell you to make pets for an advanced playstyle that involves a busy tamer. (Not you)

My squishy pets do have 10 stam regen. So I have to take points away from something else. I prefer to take points away from cold and poison resists.

@popps As you always do when you ask a question. You do not say why you want something. If you are never going to fight anything that hits hard, then you do not need higher stamina regen.

So all of this is pure speculation. Many tamers would not need HP regen because they use consume all the time and hide it invis as needed. Some gamers have no vet, so they must keep the pet alive by their playstyle.

Sorry but you are going to weigh the options and decide for yourself. You know what the abilities do. Does YOUR pet need the ability in question. One answer will not fit everyone.

We all know that you will not build this Ram or the Beetle, so why are you wasting ours and your time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tell players to build pets that work well with a novice playstyle. Say all kill and keep the pet alive.

Others may tell you to make pets for an advanced playstyle that involves a busy tamer. (Not you)

My squishy pets do have 10 stam regen. So I have to take points away from something else. I prefer to take points away from cold and poison resists.

@popps As you always do when you ask a question. You do not say why you want something. If you are never going to fight anything that hits hard, then you do not need higher stamina regen.

So all of this is pure speculation. Many tamers would not need HP regen because they use consume all the time and hide it invis as needed. Some gamers have no vet, so they must keep the pet alive by their playstyle.

Sorry but you are going to weigh the options and decide for yourself. You know what the abilities do. Does YOUR pet need the ability in question. One answer will not fit everyone.

We all know that you will not build this Ram or the Beetle, so why are you wasting ours and your time.
I am actually going to train both, the Beetle I need it to be a pet capable to deal, one at a time, with any and all Guardians up to Trove, that spawn with Treasure Maps, and all Facets, and the Ossein Ram, I do want it to be a hard hitter to take advantage of its Life Leech ability as much as possible...

I am only trying to understand what best training, considering their respective use that I will need to make of them, will be the most appropriate.

And I disagree about the wasted time since these Posts might be read by other UO players along the road and, thus, hopefully take usefullness from advice that was given about some specific build of pets.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I disagree about the wasted time since these Posts might be read by other UO players along the road and, thus, hopefully take usefullness from advice that was given about some specific build of pets.
All anyone will see is your long winded rebuttals and some poor NOOB will think you know what you are talking about and be discouraged because they think training is too difficult. Just as you seem to think it is or both the pets in question would be finished by now.

I still say you should go with a Reptalon instead.

1676229300473.png

A half Cu with physical damage.

Reptalon:
1676229385568.png

Reptalon is one of the few pets that does no physical damage.
It can get any magic build.
Dragon breath is fire damage so it does that type also out of the box.
If others use a Cu and have conductive Blast, your pet will do a lot more damage than theirs during that period.
It is a mount.
A 2 slot reptalon has a lot of build points. So you could build high HP or 1500 Mana if you like.
Getting one will teach you how to stay alive in hostile environments.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I am actually going to train both, the Beetle I need it to be a pet capable to deal, one at a time, with any and all Guardians up to Trove, that spawn with Treasure Maps, and all Facets, and the Ossein Ram, I do want it to be a hard hitter to take advantage of its Life Leech ability as much as possible...

I am only trying to understand what best training, considering their respective use that I will need to make of them, will be the most appropriate.

so as pawain, said you will do nothing. Because there is no solution.
By the way , hardest hitters in the game are 5 x blood foxes. Only 73 taming needed , lol!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All anyone will see is your long winded rebuttals and some poor NOOB will think you know what you are talking about and be discouraged because they think training is too difficult. Just as you seem to think it is or both the pets in question would be finished by now.

I still say you should go with a Reptalon instead.

View attachment 140532

A half Cu with physical damage.

Reptalon:
View attachment 140533

Reptalon is one of the few pets that does no physical damage.
It can get any magic build.
Dragon breath is fire damage so it does that type also out of the box.
If others use a Cu and have conductive Blast, your pet will do a lot more damage than theirs during that period.
It is a mount.
A 2 slot reptalon has a lot of build points. So you could build high HP or 1500 Mana if you like.
Getting one will teach you how to stay alive in hostile environments.
Keep in mind it cost me a 120 healing once when i called out popps he's Hella annoying but also highly capable

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More were lost when players found out they could exploit them and put them back to 1 slot but have high hp. They nefrfed all those and the exploited spiders.

Keep in mind it cost me a 120 healing once when i called out popps he's Hella annoying but also highly capable
You called him out on a pet he has had for years.

We could write a book about all the different things he has started and not finished. He should have 20 luck suits by now.

Baal-Draco. *D*

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am gonna hijack this thread for a question about sta regen.
After reading everything I am not sure anymore, that 5 sta regen is enough, I was hoping
I could save some points to train a few more hps.

Thx in advance