• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best build for returning player starting with nothing?

Tiffy33

Visitor
Havent played on OSI servers since 2001. I have played on a few private servers but all of them were T2A only so Im totally confused by todays UO. I just restarted on Atlantic but no idea how to progress. I mainly enjoyed my Dexxer back in the day but now theres so many new skills im sure the template I played back then is garbage now. I keep seeing the Sampire build thrown around but after I read about it I learn it requires certain gear to function, which I dont have. Whats a good build for someone starting with nothing that can at least get me farming so I can afford to make a viable build down the road?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Havent played on OSI servers since 2001. I have played on a few private servers but all of them were T2A only so Im totally confused by todays UO. I just restarted on Atlantic but no idea how to progress. I mainly enjoyed my Dexxer back in the day but now theres so many new skills im sure the template I played back then is garbage now. I keep seeing the Sampire build thrown around but after I read about it I learn it requires certain gear to function, which I dont have. Whats a good build for someone starting with nothing that can at least get me farming so I can afford to make a viable build down the road?
It's still sampire or dragoon. Get basic imbued armor, basic imbued weaps. Dragoon is more of the dexer you know, it's less powerful overall probably than a sampire but more defensive and great all around character as well. Theres a right up on stratics about it, and how to get the correct gear. I dont believe it requires any +skill gear. Still my favorite, but most favor a sampire.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Can't go wrong with a simple paladin build tbh.

Weapon Skill
Anatomy
Tactics
Healing
Chivalry
Parry
Resisting Spells or Meditation since you wont have much mana regen gear to start. You'll drop this skill eventually anyways as you slowly start getting power scrolls

DM Wyvern

Visitor

Hey Tiffy! I am new to UO and kind of in the same boat as you. ^_^ Let me know if you need any help getting started up again. I joined United We Fight and have found the people in this guild welcoming and helpful to newcomers like me and returnees like you. You can check us out here:

Welcome back! Feel free to message me here if you'd like to check out UWF!

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would check out UO Guide to get familiar with all the skills and mods for armour and weapons.

I have no idea what this means
You can imbue armour and weapons with mods that you want using the Imbuing skill.

A sampire, or paladin like Seraphina posted (I would use resist spells not meditation) should be ok for starter templates.

Most gear mentioned in posts for sampires is to solo the end game stuff. With all templates they do better with the higher end gear, but everyone has to start somewhere and a new player can still do well with a sampire in starter gear, if they're not trying to jump in at the deep end take on bosses right away.

I would try something like
Weapon Skill
Anatomy / Resist spells
Tactics
Necromancy
Chivalry
Parry
Bushido

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For start, go to combat for up these skills
Weapon
Tactics
Anatomy
Parrying
Bushido
Chivarly
Most war use these skills.
While play in game you can find some help for equipe. Try to join UWF guild.

Inviato dal mio SM-A505FN utilizzando Tapatalk

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
You can start a very solid dexer/sampire with the below build. It can last you all the way to end game content as you make adjustments to fine tune.

Overtime you might evolve to 120 swords and 120 in other skills depending on what you decide you want to build for.

120 Weapon Skill (fencing and mace is cheapest to get a 120 power scroll for. Swords power scrolls are 8mill or so. I can give you a 120 fencing or mace scroll if you like. and I would certainly recommend 120 weapon skill immediately)

GM skill in the rest:
Anatomy or Resist spells (for earlier content don't worry about resist yet)
Tactics
Necromancy
Chivalry
Parry
Bushido

Buy power scrolls are you get money and decide how you want your build to look.

Mediocre gear is very cheap through vendor search and most people will give away useable gear.

Happy to help if you need a hand on starter gear and some runes for spots to farm gold easily.
Send me a message if you want. i can get you started

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
It’s a long road to making good gear with a crafter. I think you are better off starting a samp with ok gear and moving up over time.

Useable gear is almost free if you just ask for help in general chat.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so would it be better to just make a crafter first so I can make my own gear since I have no gold?
If you are using an Endless Journey account I wouldn't bother with a crafter. I used one for a year after not playing for almost two years and I didn't use my crafter, you only have 20 bank storage and there are too many resources needed for serious crafting.

If you have a house, want to be self sufficient or enjoy crafting then I would make a crafter while training your sampire. Take all the junk loot from what you kill and unravel it to train your imbuing. It's been a while so something may have changed but I got to 120 Imbuing just by unraveling loot, but it took a lot.
Train mining to get your own metal to train blacksmithing. Use some of the gold from hunting to buy cloth to train tailoring, at higher tailoring kill polar bears on your sampire to get leather.
Check out the crafting forum, they will have a lot of information for making a crafter and how to start out.

I would also try find a guild, while it's fun to solo things I always have a lot of fun hunting with my guild, and they'll be able to help you.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Message me if you are on and I can get you started with some gear and runes for places to skill up.