• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] Beginner treasure hunter question

BlueBard

Visitor
I have seen were treasure hunting just had a skill revamp . Can someone tell me what skills are needed to be a successful treasure hunter. Thinking a mystic treasure hunter. How much gold would i need to make a decent treasure hunter im only 1 week into the game and so far 1 toon a bard that im working on... thanks fir any feedback

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Needed:
Cartography
Lockpicking (for the two highest level maps, or all maps if you don't have magery; GM magery works to unlock the first 3)

Suggested:
Remove Trap (you use RT to disarm the chest traps, which are based on a timer. You can do it by using 0 RT skill (using the skill is actually required to start the process, even if you are at 0), BUT will have the maximum length disarm time and will be guaranteed a monster spawn every check - a monster that has no loot and can't be tamed, unlike the initial chest spawn and spawn after opened.). High RT will shorten the chest timer for trap spawn, to where at GM RT, level 1-3 chests will have only one or no spawn, depending on how quickly you kill the initial chest spawn and start the RT process.

Everything Else:
Whatever you want to put the other 420 (520 if you go the 0 RT route) points into (plus equipment for higher skills)
For a Mystic, this would be Mysticism, Focus, and 2 other skills.
A tamer would be taming, lore, magery, and probably vet.
There's other possibilities to play with. I have a melee TH but he has trouble on Hoard/Trove if there is more than one dragon (Ancient Wyrm, Greater, or Frost) in the initial spawn.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen were treasure hunting just had a skill revamp . Can someone tell me what skills are needed to be a successful treasure hunter. Thinking a mystic treasure hunter. How much gold would i need to make a decent treasure hunter im only 1 week into the game and so far 1 toon a bard that im working on... thanks fir any feedback

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Tapatalk
A mystic treasure hunter works great. Cast an RC and invis while it does it's work.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes. i also suggest to get slayer spellbooks which do work with mysticism damage spells.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
So cart,lock,remove,myst,focus,mage
That leaves you with quite a few points actually. 100 carto/LP/RT, 120 mystic/focus. You'll definitely want mystic/focus at 120, at least once you can afford scrolls, to help beef up your RC. They do great but it does take a few casts against ancient wyrm.

Luckily, you'll really only need gm magery. No need for the pricey 120 magery scroll when you wont be casting res doing maps solo or EV's since you'll have RC.

The RC can do the job on it's own, especially with a little mass sleep thrown in against tougher spawn (and those damn grubbers, lol...), but if you want to speed things up get as much evaluate int as possible (esp with jewels), as the magery spells have better options for elemental damage to stack along with the lesser slayers you'll be carrying.

A lesser slayer with nether cyclone does very good damage if you'd rather not fool with magery/eval, but then you might want those points in med as it is very mana costly to spam. Or maybe spirit speak with joat necro?

Whichever way you go, make the most out of those few points you have left!!

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Put the rest of the points into meditation.

Get a vol 3 magery mastery and select magery as mastery. Equip an appropriate slayer spellbook. Even at 0 eval int you do decent energy damage with death ray (more if you are human, as you got 20 eval int from racial bonus).

Let the rising colossus do the work, cast invisibility or mass sleep, and assist with death ray (energy damage), hail storm (cold damage), nether cyclone (random) depending on the situation and having the right slayer spellbook equipped.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Theoretically, with the right equipment you could even get up to 800 skill points relatively easily.
+15 focus on each jewel, +15 of the magic skill you don't use the mastery for on each, puts you to 780. Add a spellbook with +10 in one of these, and talisman from the cleanup, will put you at 800.