• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Begging a question?

B

Bluebottle

... on begging actually :) :gee: (ok maybe I'm just a little :coco: now and then) As part of my ongoing UO education I try out the "lesser" professions. On one of my rarely traveled shards I had created a beggar several years ago and thought it might be a hoot to remind myself why it is such a pointless skill.

Does it actually help to equip a staff? Begging from players doesn't seem to do anything - Hmmm - I wonder if it would help if I could fake a missing limb?

Just as in real life the toffs and nobles don't want to part with their gold but ask a lowly soldier and they give generously!! I'm certainly not going to get rich doing this (killing rats is more profitable) but at 50.1 begging I was pulling in between 4 and 20 gold per NPC mark. If I begged again with the same NPC they asked why I didn't get a job ... I scratched my head and wondered what sort of job they were referring to since begging IS a profession ... isn't it?

Now to the question - is begging broken in Fel? I popped over to Fel/Skara and the NPCs there were verbally VERY generous yet no gold ever appeared in my pack as it had done in Trammel. I did check the ground, the bank, not a thing just an NPC saying here's X amout of gold and no gold appears :( Somehow I don't think this is even on the fix-it list :)

Hmmmm - I wonder if I can beg from brigands? :dunce:

B

BartofCats

actually it does that in trammel too... you may have not noticed it as much.

Least it happened to me.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont really know about the staff thing but i finally got my begging to Gm the other day. I know begging is a lame skill but uo has become fast paced with get rich quick and get godly items easy I get tired of all that so I figured I'd try something different. The amount of gold you get is pretty small but the items in heartwood are alright if your into things that are alittle different. I had the skill points to use up so i guess if begging ever becomes worth having ill be ready... but i wont hold my breath.