• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Battle of the Backers

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all who came to view, came to play, and all the winners. Battle of the Backers was awesome.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
How was turn out? I would have liked to be there but there are just too many things going on this holiday weekend.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It went off very well. We were very happy with the turn out. And everyone had fun in the chaos. People really took to the systems quickly and we got alot of great and useful feedback.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Watched the video, looks like fun, and the biggest thing I noticed is that the Devs seemed to have as much fun as the players, which to me means a lot. I went to the irc channel and spoke to some of the lucky backers that got a chance to play, and they all said they had fun and it was very intuitive to learn the system. What surprised me is that the players I did talk to, were normally more PVM style players, and they still really enjoyed it.

I plan on backing, I just haven't decided on the amount yet. If I'm not mistaken for just a small backing of $20.00 you get the game, three months of play time on the official citadel shards when it goes live, and a chance to play while it is in Alpha Mode? Can you please clarify this? Not to mention the satisfaction that you got to help get a brand new game and concept get off the ground. Also once Shards reaches its quota on Kickstart, will we as backers be able to play on Shards on a regular basis, like the Test Center in UO? Or will it just be for designated events, until it goes live?

I'm interested in the backers pack that includes an extra player slot and a familiar. Are you gonna give any more info on what this familiar might be or what it could possibly do? Or is this all meant to be a surprise.

While I was on the IRC channel, the Devs weren't there, but there were many of the people there that got to play on Battle of the Backers, I was surprised to learn that many of them do plan on creating their own shards.

I know the Citadel team is working extremely hard, making their game making videos and keeping the kick starter page up to date. I was wondering if you have plans on including a video on more of your maps and more on the PVM, Crafting and Housing aspects. I know personally that is what I'm waiting to see, and possibly more of the others. I'm also assuming there is going to be much more to PVM than giant deer, and fire breathing beers. More info Please!!!

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll direct Supreem or Draconi over to this post so they can give the full fleshed answers for the release/play schedule beyond kickstarter. But yes you do get the server with the game($20 tier), and there will be play opportunities before release.
If you idle in IRC sometimes when we get on we'll respond to questions just in case people come back on or miss us in the off time. So feel free to ask the questions, or just shoot an email or message on facebook or through our official contact channels (contact info on KS).

To clear up some confusion, we are keeping PvP in mind while we develop. That is rather than develop systems and then be forced to rebalance, redesign or make special allowances for PvP, we are taking it into consideration from the beginning. So PvE and PvP, are simply a progression of player skill.

Content wise, we are creating rich systems to support PvE, PvP and just as important non-combat oriented playstyles such as trades and crafting.

The overwhelmingly positive response from PvPers and NonPvPers who participated in the battle is a great validation. We look forward to continuing to to develop the game so that players feel that they can not only play how they want to, but also not be forced to conform to a preset idea of what they must do to be successful.

Melaedha_CS

S.O. Community Manager
VIP
Stratics Veteran
I plan on backing, I just haven't decided on the amount yet. If I'm not mistaken for just a small backing of $20.00 you get the game, three months of play time on the official citadel shards when it goes live, and a chance to play while it is in Alpha Mode? Can you please clarify this?
The Sapphire ($20) tier and above guarantees a digital version of the game at launch, so all tiers from Sapphire ($20) and up also come with three months of premium subscription to play on the official servers. All backers from the Sapphire tier and up also will get to play the pre-alpha version over a two-week period after the Kickstarter campaign succeeds.

Alpha access begins with the Ruby tier ($50) and is currently slated to begin in December 2014.

Not to mention the satisfaction that you got to help get a brand new game and concept get off the ground. Also once Shards reaches its quota on Kickstart, will we as backers be able to play on Shards on a regular basis, like the Test Center in UO? Or will it just be for designated events, until it goes live?
This is where The Immortals tiers come in. The Immortals is our early adopter group who will have access to pre-alpha playtests beyond the two weeks everyone else (above Sapphire) receives. The Immortals will also work closely with the Citadel team to provide feedback throughout the development process. They, along with the Early Modders and Early Admins, will truly help us shape the game content.

I'm interested in the backers pack that includes an extra player slot and a familiar. Are you gonna give any more info on what this familiar might be or what it could possibly do? Or is this all meant to be a surprise.
Everyone always wants to know about the familiar and not the extra player. :(

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The event was great! I can't wait to see what comes next event-wise and to see more of them get fleshed out. I know they were wanting to stay within a certain timeframe for the Twitch broadcast, but it will be even more interesting if something along the same lines is done further down the road with more behind the scenes prep/prelim time with the "finals" being what gets broadcast. That could allow for a longer, more robust event.

I have a full review over on the Shards forums: here