• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Basic craft before imbue Qs

Inwe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure most/all of these have been answered before but I'm hoping they can be revisited...

Let me preface that these questions are mostly for creating a suit for a human sampire. I'm not looking for a top of the line suit as I will probably enhance prior to imbuing (to conserve resources). Also, I am a legendary smith/tailor/imbuer with available soul stones to change out lore if needed.

In regards to smithing pieces, what is the thinking behind using GM Arms Lore or not. Does the extra 5 resist points count against your weight?

Using plate gorgets as an example...
Without arms lore, I was able to create a few 12 resist pieces. With lore, I came up with a 15, couple of 14, and a few that had 10/12 or 11/11 in various resists. Are any of these worth keeping to imbue?

If you plan to imbue, is it worth creating the items with a runic? Or, are the items created with a runic only worth imbuing if the properties are (obviously desirable) and max or close to max?

Thank you for answering as I'm sure I will have many more questions as I learn this new craft.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
building a basic 6 piece human suit..
first off you want arms lore..

do not use runics.. if you do and say you get 12 in any resist that counts as a property.
you also get a lot of junk you dont need..

what i do is craft pieces out of regular leather armor and keep the ones that have no bonus in phy and fire.. so 2/4/?/?/? or as close to it as possible.

it takes awhile.

once i get all pieces made and the last 3 add up to 58/52/46 i enhance them with barbed.

you can use one of those tools so you dont fail, or make many many many pieces.

then pof it.
max out phy and fire. 17x4 is 68 and 19x3 is 57.. the extra 4 phy on the other 2 pieces and the extra 5 on the other 3 pieces should get you 70 phy and fire
imbue up anything else you want. for sampire you should hit an extra fire. so 19x4 for 86 total fire.

that gives you enough imbues for max hp+(remember it only goes to 25 so dont +5 on every piece), 40 lmc (i do 7x6), 48 stam (8x6) and some int+ (you can prob do 6 on a couple pieces)

now an elf can use the wood armor.. these have higher resists and an extra mod when enhanced.. makes it much easier to make a suit.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok

What for ?

do not use runics.. if you do and say you get 12 in any resist that counts as a property.
you also get a lot of junk you dont need..

It makes sense, but it prompts another question : So runics to craft armor are useless now? There is no use still valid for them ?

what i do is craft pieces out of regular leather armor and keep the ones that have no bonus in phy and fire.. so 2/4/?/?/? or as close to it as possible.
What would be the reason to leave out the pieces with NO bonus in physical and fire resistances ? And when you say no bonus, do you mean no additional points over the base ones ? And what would the base ones be ? 2 points resistances each ?

it takes awhile.
Alright.

once i get all pieces made and the last 3 add up to 58/52/46 i enhance them with barbed.
Why did you mention only 3 resistances ?? Aren't there 5 resistances total ??
And why did you pick those 3 numbers and not others ? Why you stop making pieces when they add up 58/52/46 ?? I mean, why it is not a different assortment of numbers ??

you can use one of those tools so you dont fail, or make many many many pieces.
then pof it.
OK

max out phy and fire. 17x4 is 68 and 19x3 is 57.. the extra 4 phy on the other 2 pieces and the extra 5 on the other 3 pieces should get you 70 phy and fire
17x4 ?? 19x3 ?? Do you mean x4 armor pieces ? x3 armor pieces ?
Why one should be over 4 pieces and one over 3 ? Why not BOTH over 4 or over 3 pieces ??

imbue up anything else you want. for sampire you should hit an extra fire. so 19x4 for 86 total fire.
Why so much fire ? Also, 19x4 = 76 not 86.........

that gives you enough imbues for max hp+(remember it only goes to 25 so dont +5 on every piece), 40 lmc (i do 7x6), 48 stam (8x6) and some int+ (you can prob do 6 on a couple pieces)
25 HP+ = 5x5
40 LMC = 7x6 (actually 42 total)
48 Stam = 8x6
12 Int = 6x2

It makes a total of 5+6+6+2 = 17 properties over 6 armor pieces (roughly 3 properties per 6 armor pieces Head, Neck, Arms, Gloves, Chest and Legs).

That leaves out roughly 2 more property per piece as imbuable (total of 5 properties per piece can be imbued, right ?) plus both the ring and bracelet to add more properties on.

Is that right ?
If so, what would be these other properties as advisable to be imbued ?

now an elf can use the wood armor.. these have higher resists and an extra mod when enhanced.. makes it much easier to make a suit.
The fact that woodland armor is not medable is not a problem for special moves mana requirements ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Smith runics are still good to craft basic weapons to imbue, to save on properties.

If you're trying for one obscenely high resist, or 140 luck without having to risk breaking the item with an enhance, and the remaining resists aren't as big an issue, you can go with a spined runic made item (smith and tailor runics got a minimum intensity boost, and all can create 100% intensity items).

If you want to bypass imbuing altogether, you can make stuff superior to imbued items with runics, but getting the exact properties you want is a crapshoot. Still, that crapshoot is getting cheaper day by day, and occasionally you'll get items you can modify. For example, I got an 82-resist item that worked good with my suit, with the remaining intensities such that I could imbue even better by lowering one resist and raising the mana regen on it from 1 to 2 - but I like it as it is, and being powderable.

As for one of the questions you asked, since non-runic resists don't count, if you can get two resists high on a non-runic piece, and the other 3 are near minimum, you can imbue those 3 and it still be only 3 properties (and close to 80 resists a piece). You then add two other properties, and you can either live with the non-enhanced resists or try enhancing until you get a success (and then you could have pieces with 2 non-resist properties and 90 resists). The same could be done with 3 non-resist properties and 2 resists (and two selected high resists from exceptional crafting), and 70s resists per item.

N

Ncdiablo

While we are at this I wouldn't mind asking some questions to get some clarity.

Using Normal leather with GM lore does the resists that are there already count toward the weight of the item meaning it eats up what can be added via imbuing?

What if you craft with Barbed, Spined, or Horned still using a normal sewing kit do the added resists or bonuses start to eat into the weight or using up imbue slots?

After finding a piece you would like to use is it ok to enhance at that point to gain some resist bonuses or does that then affect the weight or are there negative impacts for doing this beside the normal chance of destroying the item?

I assume that if you enhance an item before imbuing the enhancements eat into the weight of the produbt but not sure how much or in what way if anyone can eloborate I would appreciate it.

When is the proper time to PoF an item (I realize it has to be done before imbuing but does it have to be done before enhancing if you enhance before you imbue)?

and one more bit of confusion.... Lets say that Exceptional armor item has a natural minimal resist at one slot. Does imbuing add the amount your attempting on top of the natural minimal resist or does it simply over write it. Meaning if the energy resist is 4 min and you then add 15 energy resist does that take it to 19 or leave it at 15?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While we are at this I wouldn't mind asking some questions to get some clarity.

Using Normal leather with GM lore does the resists that are there already count toward the weight of the item meaning it eats up what can be added via imbuing?
Not unless you use a runic, any standard item crafted with a regular npc purchased or crafted tool does not carry any weight, only some samy plate armor carry the mage armor property when exceptional, and maybe a few other examples. but other than that not.

What if you craft with Barbed, Spined, or Horned still using a normal sewing kit do the added resists or bonuses start to eat into the weight or using up imbue slots?
Refer to above answer :)

After finding a piece you would like to use is it ok to enhance at that point to gain some resist bonuses or does that then affect the weight or are there negative impacts for doing this beside the normal chance of destroying the item?
Material doesnt carry weight, but the resists are max from the very base of resists on the item.. enhancing should be to enhance resists that is not imbued. OR imbue resists first, then enhancing.

Keep in mind.. enhancing imbued resis DOES carry weight for the amount you enhanced for on top of the imbued weight

I assume that if you enhance an item before imbuing the enhancements eat into the weight of the produbt but not sure how much or in what way if anyone can eloborate I would appreciate it.
Not for leather armor anyways. And definetly not for resists,

When is the proper time to PoF an item (I realize it has to be done before imbuing but does it have to be done before enhancing if you enhance before you imbue)?
Proper time to pof is just before you make first imbue.

and one more bit of confusion.... Lets say that Exceptional armor item has a natural minimal resist at one slot. Does imbuing add the amount your attempting on top of the natural minimal resist or does it simply over write it. Meaning if the energy resist is 4 min and you then add 15 energy resist does that take it to 19 or leave it at 15?
Imbuing resists, add up to 15% resists to the very base of a resistance for the armor type in question.

Following table might be of guidance:
Armor - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Let us know if you need further clarification.

Greetings
Gilmour

N

Ncdiablo

Gilmour,

First of thanks a ton for taking the time to bring clarity to all those questions. I truly appreciate it. I have rejoined the game and things have changed so much I just didn't want to waste materials that I am gathering up to make suits for my characters.

One last question and then I should be done.

Imbuing resists, add up to 15% resists to the very base of a resistance for the armor type in question.
Does that mean that if I am crafting a normal leather armor item with a normal kit that lands exceptional with a GM lore and I chose 1 resist that is at 7 physical resist (due to random landings of exceptional bonuses and arms lore bonuses) but it's base is 2 and I then go to imbue 13 physical resist would it then become 15 resist or stay at 13? Or is it only when I craft an item with a random resist that is still at the base does the imbue stack ontop?

Sorry for this but I truly do want to thank you for all the time. Just trying to get my facts in order.

You have helped a ton and this is thanks from a Gilmore in RL to a Fantasy Gilmour ;)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that is excactly what it means, yes.

keep in mind the new resistance is showed in imbuing menu, and not how much it add.

Edit: seems i misread question slightly.

Imbuing resists adds on top of base. so if leather armor for example base is 2//4/3/3/3, thus max imbue able is: 17/19/18/18/18

N

Ncdiablo

Gilmour

Thx a bunch for clearing the Muddy waters of crafting a suit.

I greatly appreciate it. You have saved me time, money, and Mats.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok

What for ?
the bonus in arms lore is very important without it you would make armor 2.4.3.3.3

you could nowhere get close to all 70s suit without it.

What would be the reason to leave out the pieces with NO bonus in physical and fire resistances ? And when you say no bonus, do you mean no additional points over the base ones ? And what would the base ones be ? 2 points resistances each ?
i was very clear on this. pls read carefully. you want the last 3 resists to have the max amount of arms lore bonus on them so you dont have to imbue those.

Why did you mention only 3 resistances ?? Aren't there 5 resistances total ??
And why did you pick those 3 numbers and not others ? Why you stop making pieces when they add up 58/52/46 ?? I mean, why it is not a different assortment of numbers ??
i was very clear here too.. 58/52/46 enhanced with barbed gives you 70s.

17x4 ?? 19x3 ?? Do you mean x4 armor pieces ? x3 armor pieces ? yes
Why one should be over 4 pieces and one over 3 ? Why not BOTH over 4 or over 3 pieces ??
once again very clear.. you cant just imbue max fire and phy on every piece you would lose other properties (remember you only get 5).. you want to imbue phy on 4 pieces and fire on 3. you have to add fire and phy on one piece if your building a sampire suit that counts towards 2 of the 5 properties you can add.. hence the 19x4 for sampires
Why so much fire ? Also, 19x4 = 76 not 86.........
sampires lose fire resist when they turn into vamp form.. and also you forget to add the fire from the other 2 pieces you didnt imbue fire on.. 19x4 + 10.
25 HP+ = 5x5
40 LMC = 7x6 (actually 42 total)
48 Stam = 8x6
12 Int = 6x2

It makes a total of 5+6+6+2 = 17 properties over 6 armor pieces (roughly 3 properties per 6 armor pieces Head, Neck, Arms, Gloves, Chest and Legs).

That leaves out roughly 2 more property per piece as imbuable (total of 5 properties per piece can be imbued, right ?) plus both the ring and bracelet to add more properties on.

Is that right ?
If so, what would be these other properties as advisable to be imbued ?
those 2 other properties are PHY AND FIRE if youre building a suit for a sampire, read above..

The fact that woodland armor is not medable is not a problem for special moves mana requirements ?
nope mana regen is really uneeded when you have mana leech..

Inwe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

First of all, thanks for the great responses...

Is there a particular reason to go for the base physical and fire resists? Does the math not work the same to go for base in any 2 of the 5 resists? Would I not be able to come out with a comparable outcome if say I get:
head: 2/4/X/X/X
gorget: X/4/3/X/X
tunic: X/X/3/3/X
arms: 2/X/X/X/3
gloves: X/4/X/3/X
legs: 2/X/X/X/3
and imbue resists on those low values?

I've only begun the process to craft pieces with 2x minimum resists and out of about 400 attempts at leather gorgets (100% chance of exceptional and GM lore), I have only managed 2 pieces with two of the resists totaling 1% above minimum, about 10 totaling 2% over, and a slew of pieces totaling 3% over (almost all of which do not follow the suggestion of having the minimum resists in physical and fire.

Again, I'm not (yet) looking create a "top end" suit...only something decent.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the main reason i went with phy and fire is because the barbed enhancement is the lowest on those 2 and since you are imbuing the resist to max might as well use the lowest ones..
i suppose you could also do cold too..
2/4/3/3/3 is 4/5/5/6/7 with barbed.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I reading these posts correctly?
You can enhance leather armor before imbuing now??

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes metal, you can also craft in barbed/horned etc then imbue those.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to expand on the answer to this.

Base leather is 2/4/3/3/3 which means that the imbue max is 17/19/18/18/18 (as a note, if you are playing an elf, leaf armor has imbue max of 17/18/17/19/19).

Let's take 2 pieces I made last night:
10/10/9/9/9
5/6/11/13/12

Now, if you imbue to max fire and physical on this piece of armor, you will end up with:
17/19/9/9/9 (63 total resist)
17/19/11/13/12 (72 total resist)

You lose the exceptional and arms lore bonus that were applied to physical and fire. That is why you plan ahead, know which resist you are going to imbue.

I don't go the route posted here. When I make pieces with barbed armor, I usually keep most pieces where there is 0-2 resist added in a category UNLESS there is a high fire resist. I consider having piece with like 12-13 Fire resist made with barbed armor a waste. That is why I also craft pieces in Horned armor if I plan on not imbueing Fire and imbueing Poison/Energy.

It might be more efficient to make pieces out of base leather then decide to enhance with barbed/horned.... but the fail rate is so high.

Inwe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Checking my math before I use the resources...

These are the enhanced leather pieces with barbed minus the head slot:
gorget: 12/6/5/12/12 (imbuing fire/cold) = 12/19/18/12/12
tunic: 10/7/10/6/14 (fire/poison) = 10/19/10/18/14
legs: 5/6/9/12/15 (phy/fire) = 17/19/9/12/15
sleeves: 4/7/12/9/15 (phy/fire) = 17/19/12/9/15
gloves: 5/12/7/14/9 (phy/cold) = 17/12/18/14/9

That should total 73/88/67/65/65.
Adding Mace and Shield glasses should give 98/98/77/75/75.
Is that correct? It almost seems too easy to get the desired 70/95/70/70/70 using only 2 imbuing slots per piece.

Thanks

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with 2 resis imbues per item and a gorget it is fairly easy to reach.

if you make it fit perfectly you can do all 70s with one per item and maybe one additional, but alot of factors play in, like what arties you use.

on my sampire for example i use the fey leggings.. so thats some fire lost there.