• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Basic Backup

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets say I want to reinstall the client, but keep my macros and hotbars. What all does one need to back up as far as folders, skins and xmls. anyone done this successfully?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I always back up my user data folder! but I believe you could just back up the individual character folders ! But I dont think that would back up waypoints and such?
I do the user folder so then I know I have a back up for everything I need!

O

Old Man of UO

There are actually two folders that you need to backup.

The first has all your mods in it: Program Files (x86) / Electronic Arts / Ultima Online Stygian Abyss / Userinterface

The second folder contains all of your character information and desktop setup: Documents / EA Games / Ultima Online Stygian Abyss / User Data

The User Data folder contains all character info for all Accounts that you've logged into. Open that folder and you can see the individual account names. Open any account name and you can see each shard that account has logged into. Open any shard folder and you can see the individual character desktop files, which contain your desktop setup, hotbars, UI Scaling, macros, etc.

THIS is very handy when setting up a new character, since you can copy, paste and rename the folder to your new character's name to get the exact same desktop, hot bar and macro set up for your new character. I set one character up with the basic hot bars and macros, then copied this file for all my other characters. Now they all have the same "look" but I did have to add new macros and a few hot bars, but this saves a lot of time.