• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard Template Advice

C

Chimpanthrax

(As a forward I have checked out the stickies but am still at a loss for what to do)

Hey All,

Have recently returned to the game and have decided to make a bard as one of my first toons. That being said I just wanted to make sure that the template I plan on using is viable before I sink the time into getting the skills where i want them.

Basically I will start with :

Disco
Provoke
Music
Peace
Magery

Heres where I am not really sure what I need. The choices are :

Archery and Tactics (this might be better left to my tamer? Just think Disco and archery would be a treat :p)
or
Eval and Resists (will get MR on my gear to make up for no med/focus)

Really I am open for any suggestions. I find I solo the majority of the time (still trying to convince my buddies to return as well), so I don't know if that will influence whats needed.

Any help/advice or anyone who can point me in the right direction of where to find said advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Chimpanthrax

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Welcome back!

Hmm, sounds like you're planning a 7xGM toon, so I'm guessing that you've been away for a while. You're definitely going to want to *eventually* bring music, disco, provo, and peace to 120. For just a basic mage/bard template, you could try something like this:

120 music
120 disco
120 provo
120 peace
120 mage
120 eval or med

If you go with eval, you'll have a broader range of offensive spells at your disposal, but you'll have to watch your mana and load your suit with mana regen. If you go with med, you'll have to rely on mind blast and summons for damage.

C

Chimpanthrax

Unfortunatly Yes I have been away for quite awhile (the last time I was playing regularly was when Quick hit hallie mages were rampant :p).

What kind of stat placement is recommended for the builds listed above? Do I still want 100 str regardless? If not what would the stats look like for a mage/bard?

Between using summons and discord/provoke would taking med be a better choice since I don't really have any gear at this point? There is always the option of switching something later as well I suppose.

Thanks for the response and any other replies would be great.

Thanks again,

Chimpanthrax

T

taglol

I'm running

110(120) Magery
120 Music
120 Discord
120 Provocation
115 (120) Eval
100 Med
(stupid 700cap acct)

My advice is to skip peacemaking altogether. I had it for a while but with the long shared timers for barding skills, you just wont find any good use for peacemaking. Invisibility will be your peacemaking.

Overall it's a fun template. Lots of the new content have really been in favor for bards.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

My advice is to skip peacemaking altogether.
I second that. The only reason to have all 3 is if you're using Firehorns for damage. (which not many people do)

Also, without Med, you may not have a sustainable mana pool from just items, for Invising after failed Prov attempts.

If you go with a non dexxer template I would have 120 Magery (& Mage Weapon) because its both your defense and it gives you 100% success with all spells. (such as Energy Vortex)

You don't HAVE to have Eval to be effective. Without it you still have Mindblast, Poison & Summons for varrying purposes.

Personally I use 6x120 Mage/Med/Resist/Music/Disc/Prov.

C

Chimpanthrax

Awesome. Thank you everyone for your input I will go with Med/Mag/Eval/Prov/Disco/Music on my bard :)

Until I get the scrolls for 120 I will most likely level up resists and drop either that or med or eval depending on how I like to play it.

Any advice stat wise? Do I need a huge mana pool? I know all bard skills are dex dependant (or are they anymore I think I read that in a sticky in this forum) so thats going to be high.

Also I figure its best to throw this in here as well to see if you Bard pros can give me an answer but all the tamer builds I see seem to include Peace and Music. Is this really needed? Or can you tame greater dragons etc without it?

Again I appreciate all your time and help. Looking forward to getting into the thick of things again :D

Cheers,

Chimpanthrax

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, I have good news regarding your stats. Barding skills raise dexterity, but they don't actually benefit from it. Focus on your hp (from strength) and mana (intelligence). You can safely drop your dex to 10 or 20 without any consequence.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Take into account Curse/Weaken (especially as you have no Resist), Pain Spike (especially as you have no Resist) and damage, theres a chance if you get hit you could get put in 'walk' mode if you have it too low. This is even more likely if you're Elf instead of Human as you have no Jack Of All Trades Focus for Stamina Regen.

Personally I have 124 Str, 15 Dex, 116 Int on mine though thats with 120 Resist. I don't use Eval otherwise I'd have 120/15/120. (What I have gives an epic 2 HP more!) Thats base stats (naked) with a 25 Stat Scroll & the +5 that everyone over 6 months gets now. You don't need a huge mana pool but Int in multiples of 10 if you're using spells for damage (have Eval) gives a slight damage boost.

Bard skills do not get any benefit from Dex. Though I believe high Dex helps recovery time when using a Fire Horn.

No, you don't need Peace for a Tamer, everything can be lead tamed.