• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bard changes are horrible

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

With single mastery choices, it allows players to run around with templates that aren't always cookie cutter.
How does it? If anything it does the exact opposite.

At the same time, I don't like the idea of flipping a switch or simply changing your hat and now you are something completely different.
I could understand it if it were say, if you had 100 Prov & only 90 Discord you would HAVE to take the Prov mastery as you're more a master of that than the Discord, but as you can have 120 Prov & Discord how are you not master in both.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You want to really help Bards, lower the wait time to a reasonable amount of time to about have it is now! 10 sec is way to long
I agree, I always found it silly that you can swing weapons indefinitely at 1.25s but jiggling a Tambourine requires a 10s rest.

C

Connor_Graham

I can't imagine a full bard with all three songs flailing their banjo about. They'd be just a pickn and a grinn'n fo sho *winks*
Eddie Van Halen could do it. So could Joe Satriani. CC or Stevie might pull it off too....:party:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If thats true, then why are toons with Tailoring/Blacksmithing/Carpentry/Alchemy all GM'd allowed to A. Do BoD's for all of them, and B. Be able to make nice items/use top end hammers?
Right, but then what's the next complaint by this OP, "Why can't a Smith's hammer craft leather armor?" You have to change your tool, your talisman, recall to the right shop, gather resources ... there is a lot of setup for each one of these skills. I guess the difference is most people have houses or bank boxes stocked in advance with everything they would need, four or five vendors filled with BODs marked "not for sale," the whole nine yards. And if a person is willing to fill the BODs needed to get, say, a Valorite Hammer, as well as a Barbed Kit, and the person does it without cheats, I can't see the time it takes to achieve those runics wouldn't amount to much more time and effort than it would to switch your bard to a different "style."

There is no difference between this and the current set up EXCEPT that the current set up is like a punishment for people who want to play pure bards.
Can two or three bards allow for all three specializations to amount at the same time? These buffs are pretty staggering. -32 STR? -32 HCI and SDI? +7-16 Damage every 4 seconds? +8 to all regens plus another reason not to have Magic Resist? To me, there is too much power here to allow easy switching. I guess I'd have to play with them to really see. I mean, if UO was PvM only, I'd agree with you and the OP, but for PvP, oh God, lol.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just feedback, huh?
If you say so.

Like many skills, bard skills are powerful in the right situations.
Even before the barding difficulty got messed up, bards were the most effective templates against the thanksgiving turkeys, not to mention the other times I've been able to use a bard effectively in situations my other characters would fold in. But no, by all means, we can all roll over like a kicked puppy and whine that they can't do everything.

On the 240 skill templates... Why not reward them?
They dedicate 240 points to one ability.
Above that it's 360 for 2 (180 per), or 480 for 3 (160 per).
The situations where peacers and provokers especially are useful in this day and age is very rare. I recently started playing my legendary bard (provo, peace) out for a spin with upgraded imbued armor and omg, its worse than ever. The targeting lag is not noticeable on other chars, but when you're trying to hit fast moving targets (or TWO of them with provocation), then it becomes a significant annoyance and a problem. And even with slayer and legendary ability, my bard skills fail so often that they become more or less useless.

I didn't say 240 skillers shouldn't be rewarded, they should. But 360 or 480 skillers should be rewarded more. Giving people the ability to switch directly between the abilities is not overpowering, you can't use them at the same time anyway. It would just mean that a discordance peacer could switch while out with a party from giving beneficial buffs, to offensive as needed.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1: Masteries.
Yep you can only have one. I like it like that. And its easier for -me- to balance game impact that way.
How does allowing you to have all of them change balance in any way? You still can only use a single one at any one time.

With single mastery choices, it allows players to run around with templates that aren't always cookie cutter.
Actually it makes templates more cookie cutter, as people yet again will min-max and choose the most beneficial one as the "uber power" one and stick with that, not switching.

Sure it would make it more beneficial to have more bards along, but how often do you need such a large party of legendary players?

Hopefully masteries take root eventually and new abilities can be added and new bonuses tied in.
(If masteries had been for archers, there'd be a distinction for cross bows and bows. But I don't think archery is in need of loving right now).
Good example, as it shows how it screws one over. If that had happened to archers, a player would have a serious problem if they had a slayer xbow and another slayer that was regular bow. They would have to go do a quest before being able to switch.

2: Quests: Initially I had a draft for quest chains to unlock the mastery and each ability under that mastery and allow players to repeat them as needed.
Then I had a second thought that after 8 years people playing bards may not really want to embark on a 45 minute quest to gain access to new abilities or shift between different masteries. At the same time, I don't like the idea of flipping a switch or simply changing your hat and now you are something completely different. The goal of these quests is not to provide a difficult or time consuming challenge for players who have invested hours, days, months building up skills. The quests simply require 3-5 minutes of effort, ACTUAL PLAYER effort, with a guaranteed result.
That is fine, though I would prefer to see a longer quest, but with more permanent results.

3: Abilities: The abilities are meant to be situationally(my word) useful.
They are a good buff for the bard themselves. And with the right suit and skill adjustment most of the beneficial ones can probably be sustained indefinitely.
They depend on playstyle and goal.
Just as a sidenote, you messed up my imbued suit as it doesn't have mana regen :/

Anyway, agreeing with you. Though again, being locked in one ability for an entire outing kinda neuters the bard quite a lot. If you are in a situation where you need killing power and your bard is set to defensive power, then you're basically useless.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

They are a good buff for the bard themselves. And with the right suit and skill adjustment most of the beneficial ones can probably be sustained indefinitely.
2 things...

Inspire: 15 SDI, yet casting a spell ends the effect.
Perseverence: Casting Focus up 4%, yet casting a spell ends the effect.

Ok more than 2 things...

Was it really necessary to discount mountain goats from the Discord quest?

&

Could the quests be changed to say creatures in a low level dungeon so that they're easier to find and the bard actually might help someone in the process?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Against a player, Despair does -32 Str regardless of Resist Spells and stacks with Curse.

19 Damage against 70 Phys resist.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm kinda puzzled on the problem here. It's not as if you can't use your other skills, you just only have mastery in one of them.

I just took a character on a mare to hedgemaze. I had mastery of peacemaking. I set the mare on a daemon, cast the spellsong, then discorded the daemon. the mare regained health as it fought - the song affects your pets. It killed the daemon in a very short time and ended up with 283/298 hp. I didn't vet

Everyone seems to be reacting as if mastery in one skill means you can't use the others at all. Not so.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see the problem of being able to have all the masteries that you have skills for, you can only use one of them at a time anyway.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good thing I brought my hard hat and my flame retardant suit.

1: Masteries.
Yep you can only have one. I like it like that. And its easier for -me- to balance game impact that way.
Hopefully masteries take root eventually and new abilities can be added and new bonuses tied in.
(If masteries had been for archers, there'd be a distinction for cross bows and bows. But I don't think archery is in need of loving right now).

2: Quests: Initially I had a draft for quest chains to unlock the mastery and each ability under that mastery and allow players to repeat them as needed.
Then I had a second thought that after 8 years people playing bards may not really want to embark on a 45 minute quest to gain access to new abilities or shift between different masteries. At the same time, I don't like the idea of flipping a switch or simply changing your hat and now you are something completely different. The goal of these quests is not to provide a difficult or time consuming challenge for players who have invested hours, days, months building up skills. The quests simply require 3-5 minutes of effort, ACTUAL PLAYER effort, with a guaranteed result.

They depend on playstyle and goal.
I have not tested any of these changes. I have doubts that some of the new masteries will even be useful because imbuing has allowed players to max out most of their stats. I think the single mastery, as I've stated many times already, is the way it needs to be.

Whatever you do Logrus, don't back down. Give and inch and we take a mile. Give up ropes and we will make 10 gallon hats and cry to be cowboys(and cowgirls RAWR.) When it comes time to add masteries to other skills this needs to be the stance. When(if) a blacksmith mastery comes into play or a bowyer/fletching the single mastery stance will be a must. Keep up the good fight.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, what is wrong with multiple masteries, when they can't be used at the same time anyway?

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, what is wrong with multiple masteries, when they can't be used at the same time anyway?
because that is not how they designed it, they obviously only want a bard being able to use 1 mastery at a time.

what is difficult to understand about this?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the hunting gathering I do (90%+) is with either my two favorite bards. Disco Tamer w/mage and luck suit. Or, 4x120 Bard with swords chiv resist and 70 tact (pushing 900 skills thanks to arty and imbued jewels). The 4x120 Bard goes into Bedlam alone and burns through named undead faster then they spawn for unravel loot. Before the Tact nerf and champ pump I used to solo champs with this template. The Disco Tamer with 5 pet pack (hell hounds & cats and Pre 16 frenzy is all he has) soloes all the mini champs for other imbuing needs. And on LS for hunts my pack tamer is known, well.

I know bards

The fact you can hold only one mastery and only have one in effect yourself. And need other bards there for more spells in effect. I still boils down to unless your alone or with sharing friends a bard still makes others a better killer. Players should be able to master two if their bard skills are all 100 -110. And master all 3 if all their bard skills are 110 -120.

Wanna help bards where it doesn't make a GD tamers life even more easier Or an archer hit for damage that is crazy or lack of running in circles......... The LRC needs to apply to firehorns and not be stamina controled on reuse but by FCR. Like the skill level aplies to bard effect distance it should also apply to skill use cycle time. Fey Slayer or/and the carp runic made instruments and/or Imbuable GM made ones.

Still goes If I am hunting and not with friends. I'm not going to discord something I'm not killing or use peace to save someones ass thats not mine. Plp used to tip my smith for repairs without asking for it. Old school. To date when my bard is in a group hunt never given a thing. Mage rez someone before joining the greedy in a boss kill looting at least gets a big caps THANK YOU.

Guess I can use the new chat system on my bard to hook my new spells. Get paid before services renendered thing.

Disco needs to work like Provo and I should target creature and player to gain bonuses. This could single out looting rights.

Last time had bard in fel could provo spawn on players. But like dumb pets easily out ran. There is no reason barding would not work in PVP. Spawn targets us already or there is simular mechanics already out there.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I just took a character on a mare to hedgemaze. I had mastery of peacemaking. I set the mare on a daemon, cast the spellsong, then discorded the daemon. the mare regained health as it fought - the song affects your pets. It killed the daemon in a very short time and ended up with 283/298 hp. I didn't vet
Initiating a skill ends the effect.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That actually sounds quite awesome. It basically makes every pet self-healing like a cu sidhe if you have the Peacemaking mastery. Sweet.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

because that is not how they designed it, they obviously only want a bard being able to use 1 mastery at a time.

They already can only use one at a time but being entitled to use them shouldn't go away if you have the points on your template. You should't have to leave the fight and do a dumb quest just to cast a different spell just because the dev couldn't be bothered to code it properly (his own words).

What is so difficult for you to understand about this?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

That was not my experience, but I'll double check, I only did it briefly
Use the effect on yourself then you can see when it is active on your buff/debuff bar.

Actually no, your right. It only ends SOME of the effects.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

From the tone of this thread, it looks like I'm the only bard in the game who doesn't have hateration for these 'enhancements'. I don't mind 'choosing' a mastery, and it's not that big of a deal out of my life to have to do a quest to use my other mastery. As several others have mentioned, it's not a bad mechanic to allow us to only use one mastery at a time.

It seems to me that for many of you, no matter what changes were put in place, it would not be enough. "We've been asking for these changes for 8 years!"-- well, we've been asking for a Pre-Ren/Classic shard for just as long-- and still ain't got 'er yet.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, you're not the only one. I don't have a problem with being asked to make a choice which skill to choose to master, since I can still use all of them.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Whether you can actually have one or more masteries available, doesn't mean you can use more than 1 of them at the same time. Its exactly the same.

Its an insult to true bards and a boost to FOTM bards.

It makes for horrible situations, like a party deciding to go somewhere else where another mastery is required...what is the Bard supposed to do? Go "Hey guys, stop everything and wait here until I complete a quest to switch".

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

It seems to me that for many of you, no matter what changes were put in place, it would not be enough. "We've been asking for these changes for 8 years!"-- well, we've been asking for a Pre-Ren/Classic shard for just as long-- and still ain't got 'er yet.
Skill updates are not excatly on par with pie in the sky ideas like a wonder shard that pleases everyone.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the tone of this thread, it looks like I'm the only bard in the game who doesn't have hateration for these 'enhancements'. I don't mind 'choosing' a mastery, and it's not that big of a deal out of my life to have to do a quest to use my other mastery. As several others have mentioned, it's not a bad mechanic to allow us to only use one mastery at a time.

Uhm...hello?

Possessing more than 1 mastery at the same time, is not the same as USING more than 1 mastery at the same time.

You'd still be limited to using 1 mastery. You just won't have to go "Sorry guys, I can't go with you on this hunt, I have the wrong mastery and will have to go quest before I can join you"

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, you're not the only one. I don't have a problem with being asked to make a choice which skill to choose to master, since I can still use all of them.
How can you chose to use all of them? You can't. You can only have 1, period. If you want a new one, you have to go switch again and quest.

Thats going to be oh so much fun when partying.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

Angry, bitter responses aside, I still don't have an issue with the change. For me, I'll choose which mastery I think would be MOST useful MOST of the time, and go with that. Should some other need come up, I'll make necessary adjustments.

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ughh, another boring quest to be done if I want my bard to be fully functional.

Guess I'll just wait for some one to script it :thumbup:

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Angry, bitter responses aside, I still don't have an issue with the change. For me, I'll choose which mastery I think would be MOST useful MOST of the time, and go with that. Should some other need come up, I'll make necessary adjustments.
Thats fine for you. I would not have a problem if PvP was removed from the game, gozas were all deleted, etc. but I can think beyond my own nose and realize that others might have different needs than me.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

Thats fine for you. I would not have a problem if PvP was removed from the game, gozas were all deleted, etc. but I can think beyond my own nose and realize that others might have different needs than me.

Wow, so much anger!

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just curious when we actually get to SEE you think beyond your own nose.

Really. Seriously. I know you SAY you can do it...but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

We have waited years...and yet...you haven't ever been able to "Master" that feat.

Not ever.

Maybe UO can write you a Quest for that?

:popcorn: :gee: :popcorn:

rolleyes:

X

XLaCeDX

- I'm thinking of a song that says 3 is the magic number.
I'm also thinking of factions pvp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA69pmhrBiE

I love that song! When my youngest child was about three he would laugh and laugh every time the number 30 would crash through the wall.

:)

As far as the new bardic masteries go, we aren't forced to choose any are we?

So it's all gravy if you want gravy but plain mashed potatoes if you don't want gravy?

Some of us see the glass as half full, it appears the OP sees it as half empty.

I got to watch and listen to Schoolhouse Rock - Three is a Magic Number again, so it's all gravy with a cherry on top in my opinion.

Thanks devs for the barding choices!

Thanks AesSedai for reminding me of some good music!

:)

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I've been doing some more testing and it seems all spells except Chivalry cancel these effects.

It also seems they are cancelled when using Provoke but no other skill.

Why is this?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious whether or not the people complaining actually have a bard, lol.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I do have a bard, a triple legendary bard. Though no discordance, because she's from the pre-discordance era.

I do have some fun with her, but bardwise she's quite gimped and honestly I have fought huge amounts of monsters and not even used my bardic skills. :(

The new masteries are awesome on their own, there's only 3 things about them that are bad:

1. All of them should be able to be mastered, though keep the 1 mastery skill active at a time.
2. The cost is way too high, it really hurts especially real old school bards who can't handle such a massive mana hit.
3. They get cancelled by too much

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been doing some more testing and it seems all spells except Chivalry cancel these effects.

Why is this?
So bardic skills are cancelled by bardic skills...brilliant. rolleyes:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I'm more interested in whether or not the people saying its fine do, or at least ones with multiple bard skills that would be affected by the complaint.

Because so far they've been either people with 1 bard skill who wouldn't be affected anyway or people who have said they haven't tested it.

N

northwoodschopper

I would like to see bards be able to use any of the masteries as long as they have over 100 real skill per bard skill. or maybe just have knowing more than one mastery use 5-10% more mana, trading efficiency for versatility.

L

Luke Carjacker

Why is this?
Wow, if this is true, then basically every template I can imagine is pretty near worthless. The only thing that makes sense is bard archer (yay, more benefits for archers! :( ).

Let's see bard/mage - can't cast spells so in order to use one mastery skill I'm gonna throw away the 360 points I have invested in Mage/Med/Eval as well as the 120 of the points I have invested in another bard skill. F-that.

discord/tamer - can't cast healing spells on pet from a distance and anything worth fighting these days makes it near impossible to stand next to your pet and vet. None of the bard masteries seem to provide enough healing/buffs/debuffs for really tough fights so I can't see any way someone would forgo healing to in favor of a bard song.

necro/peacer - yeah, throw out the whole necro part.

bard/melee - can't take damage. Totally worthless.

bard/archer - seems like the only thing that can work. provoke/discord & archery skills. That's awesome, we need another reason to make more people be archers.

Other than archer, the only viable bard template I can think of is "stand in the corner & do nothing" bard. You can't cast spells & you can't take damage. You can't heal your pets from a distance. Problem is none of the mastery skills is powerful or useful enough (not nearly) for it to be worth ceasing spellcasting or taking damage. If I'm fighting a champ or peerless, I can get far better results by dumping mana or sending in a pet than I could from any of the bard skills.

I can imagine where a "stand in the corner & do nothing" bard could be useful. If you're hunting with a large group against one of the bosses/peerless that don't move around or can be controlled in a fixed location (Baracoon, Neira, Lord Oaks, Melisande, some others), and you're hunting with a group that's just standing around dumping mana & arrows, then a stand in the corner bard can speed things up. But seriously, who wants to play a template where they are FORCED to not cast spells and not take damage? Boy, that's fun! Instead of hitting for 150-250 points per shot on an archer I'm gonna be the guy who stands in the corner and does nothing! Yeah, that's gonna make lots of people want to jump right out and become bards.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

But seriously, who wants to play a template where they are FORCED to not cast spells and not take damage?
You can take damage, just can't heal without breaking the effect or using Chivalry... or if its something thats already in effect like renewal (probably).

I'm not sure what (if any) are broken by damage, yesterday I thought Despair did but today it doesn't, I didn't check what breaks the Peace ones, and having done the silly rabbit/healer hunt for a 5th time I was reluctant to change.

I was trying to figure out if the ones that buff HCI/DI will put people over the cap, because I don't know many people that wouldn't already have those things at max anyway.

I asked a bunch of questions in the ask a devs thing for all the stuff I couldn't find out by myself, hopefully that'll clear some up.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

It doesn't seem the DI overstacks so I don't expect the HCI will either, that makes the 1st of the Prov ones useless as you can't cast spells (other than Holy Light) that do any damage for the SDI without cancelling the effect... I'm not sure SDI affects Holy Light, not that many use it anyway.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can you chose to use all of them? You can't. You can only have 1, period. If you want a new one, you have to go switch again and quest.

Thats going to be oh so much fun when partying.
Thank you for deliberately misunderstanding what I have said
You can choose to have 'mastery' in one skill - to cast the two spellsongs associated with it. You can still use your other skills alongside it. Because I have mastery in peacemaking doesn't mean I suddenly can't use the 120 skill points I have in Discordance or Provocation.

It's a nice bonus, it's not an essential ability. It's not going to stop anyone going anywhere they could go before.
You think carefully about your template, and the way you play with others and you make a choice.
Just for once you can't 'have it all'.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

What do you mean for once lol? This is bards we're talking about! Not Tamers with their plethora of pets and pet related accessories or dexxers with their plethora of weapons and specials, no. Bards! They've had nothing for years, and now that they're finally looking at them some of us would like what they do to be worthwhile and not another Firehorn (see nice idea but no ones going to use it).

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for deliberately misunderstanding what I have said
You can choose to have 'mastery' in one skill - to cast the two spellsongs associated with it. You can still use your other skills alongside it. Because I have mastery in peacemaking doesn't mean I suddenly can't use the 120 skill points I have in Discordance or Provocation.

It's a nice bonus, it's not an essential ability. It's not going to stop anyone going anywhere they could go before.
You think carefully about your template, and the way you play with others and you make a choice.
Its the only real bone bards have had for ages. Nothing would hurt if we get the ability to learn all masteries, in fact it would encourage team play more if we didn't have to go "oh sorry, you're going there? Wait while I go do a quest to switch my abilities, come back in an hour or so"

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can take damage, just can't heal without breaking the effect or using Chivalry... or if its something thats already in effect like renewal (probably).

I'm not sure what (if any) are broken by damage, yesterday I thought Despair did but today it doesn't, I didn't check what breaks the Peace ones, and having done the silly rabbit/healer hunt for a 5th time I was reluctant to change.

I was trying to figure out if the ones that buff HCI/DI will put people over the cap, because I don't know many people that wouldn't already have those things at max anyway.

I asked a bunch of questions in the ask a devs thing for all the stuff I couldn't find out by myself, hopefully that'll clear some up.
What about veterinary, does that break it too?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, if this is true, then basically every template I can imagine is pretty near worthless. The only thing that makes sense is bard archer (yay, more benefits for archers! :( ).

Let's see bard/mage - can't cast spells so in order to use one mastery skill I'm gonna throw away the 360 points I have invested in Mage/Med/Eval as well as the 120 of the points I have invested in another bard skill. F-that.

discord/tamer - can't cast healing spells on pet from a distance and anything worth fighting these days makes it near impossible to stand next to your pet and vet. None of the bard masteries seem to provide enough healing/buffs/debuffs for really tough fights so I can't see any way someone would forgo healing to in favor of a bard song.

necro/peacer - yeah, throw out the whole necro part.

bard/melee - can't take damage. Totally worthless.

bard/archer - seems like the only thing that can work. provoke/discord & archery skills. That's awesome, we need another reason to make more people be archers.

Other than archer, the only viable bard template I can think of is "stand in the corner & do nothing" bard. You can't cast spells & you can't take damage. You can't heal your pets from a distance. Problem is none of the mastery skills is powerful or useful enough (not nearly) for it to be worth ceasing spellcasting or taking damage. If I'm fighting a champ or peerless, I can get far better results by dumping mana or sending in a pet than I could from any of the bard skills.

I can imagine where a "stand in the corner & do nothing" bard could be useful. If you're hunting with a large group against one of the bosses/peerless that don't move around or can be controlled in a fixed location (Baracoon, Neira, Lord Oaks, Melisande, some others), and you're hunting with a group that's just standing around dumping mana & arrows, then a stand in the corner bard can speed things up. But seriously, who wants to play a template where they are FORCED to not cast spells and not take damage? Boy, that's fun! Instead of hitting for 150-250 points per shot on an archer I'm gonna be the guy who stands in the corner and does nothing! Yeah, that's gonna make lots of people want to jump right out and become bards.
ahem ... it's perfect for second accounts on the side monitor ... hehe (imagine that)

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posted a wonderful huge page long response, but I guess it took too long to write it so timed out. I'm so not going through that again.

So Here's what I can remember in no particular order.

Why 1 mastery at a time?
It is my thought that if two people of equal skill were to dedicate the same time and effort to the same thing they would be equally adept. By the same standard if the same two people in a different situation where the first focused on only one thing, and the second focused on two things. They may both be considered masters at what they do but they will likely not be equal.

I believe that a pure mage should probably be a better mage than a mystic mage, or a necro mage. Hence a Bard can go ahead and max skills in every one of their bard abilities, but they will be best at their focus ability.

Though I do like the idea of posibly adding some multi discipline abilities to future iterations of the bard mastery system I would still want masteries to be geared towards focusing.
The mastery system takes a step away from the template for all seasons. Any of the abilities will be useful, though they may not be the best for the situation.

To Party or Not to Party?
The beneficial bard abilities can augment the effectiveness of their party members. You don't have to party, you can keep the benefits all to yourself. Though I'm sure any group would be very appreciative for any of the beneficial abilities. At the same time, if you're just out for yourself you may appreciate the extra survivability.
Not to mention the ability to outdamage most casters in game for short periods or if you prefer, feed off the damage that anyone else is doing to your target.

------------------------
Side Notes:
Bard abilities should only be cancelled by using the same skill as the mastery focus. (ie Using provocation will cancel Inspire and Invigorate, but not any of the other abilities)(If you want to Discord and Despair it'll take 2 Bards)

You can stop an active ability by recasting it. (This will be 0 cast time, 0 mana cost)

Bards interupt threshold is lower for PvP damage than PvM damage.
(In PvP with all 70's anything under 6th circle or a heavy pain strike probably won't interupt the bard. In PvM closer to flame strike or a high damage armour ignore.)
So you can stand in the corner if you like, I'll be out there swinging away.

All bard abilities are affected by LMC.

Quests: Most easily accomplished walking around moonglow or haven
------------------------

Random responses:

I did not make a mistake in coding. It is my intent that switching between masteries requires more effort and thought than using a soul stone or changing equipment.

If a bard wants to max provocation thats a 240 skill point investment
If a mage wants to max magery thats a 240 skill point investment
If a provo bard wants to max discord thats a 360 skill point investment
If a mage wants to max necro thats a 480 skill point investment
Currently the only benefit to adding a secondary bard skill is that you can use that skill without interrupting your mastery abilities in the other skill.
These make for some powerful combinations but I'll wait a few weeks for players to figure out the ramifications of combining skills and abilities. Maybe its OP maybe they could use some more tweaks.

Mountain goats: My Bad. I forgot about them.

Having to use Different rabbits and healers: Really?

Casting Not Interrupting Bards: ( Yeah that would take about 2 seconds before it had to be nerfed)

--------------------------------------------------------

It's not what you can do. It's what you can do with it.