• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Banned for buying? Come on!

L

Lord Forest

I know all the (gold) poor jerks and newbies will flame but I need some answers. A friend of mine was banned for 72 hours for buying items that were said to be duped off a vendor. The items were taken and the gold was not returned plus a ban was put into effect. He and I have been buying and selling for profit for over 6 years now. That is a staple of our play. How the $#$# are we supposed to know if something is duped??? He is probably going to quit and I am at least closing one of my last two accounts. I didn't think it could ever happen to one of us because we always have played the game by the rules. This beloved game is dying a slow death and they are just trying to push it into the grave.

Anyone else banned for 72 hours for buying?

200 million gold gone and for what? Buying off a vendor.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Considering that one had to have multiple (and that number was in the high single digits) duped items in one's possession to get hit by the big ban a few weeks ago, one cannot feign innocence and be taken seriously. Just my opinion as a player who has spent more than 6 million on an item only twice in 6 years, and both were mage related 120 PS for the same character, 2 years apart.

Be glad it was only a 72, if that was what it was, and write off the gold a s a learning experience - Caveat Emptor.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What did he buy - this would let everyone know what is bad,

Whats Shard ?

the rest we can figure out for ourselves.

TY

Infomration is power

L

Lord Forest

Considering that one had to have multiple (and that number was in the high single digits) duped items in one's possession to get hit by the big ban a few weeks ago, one cannot feign innocence and be taken seriously. Just my opinion as a player who has spent more than 6 million on an item only twice in 6 years, and both were mage related 120 PS for the same character, 2 years apart.

Be glad it was only a 72, if that was what it was, and write off the gold a s a learning experience - Caveat Emptor.

Well, that's what I mean by poor in gold. I have 100s of millions of gold in items and my friend has even more plus a half billion in gold. so someone who has only bought 12 million in items shouldn't be posting about something they know nothing about.

I don't care if it was for 10 min. The gold is gone.

L

Lord Forest

What did he buy - this would let everyone know what is bad,

Whats Shard ?

the rest we can figure out for ourselves.

TY

Infomration is power

Transfer tokens on great lakes and he said that same vendor has them back again. He was on his other account checking to see what happened to the vendor.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

posts like this just reenforce peoples thoughts on some of the mods here.

if you for one second believe that they only dinged people who had 'multiple' amounts of items then your a bigger fool then most of us allready believe you too be.

and just because YOU dont spend money in game you feel that others shouldnt have that right?
possibly because you dont spawn and deal in lots of scrolls and doom artys from doom, a person who does should be looked down upon?

i am not shocked that the original poster got a ban.
hell, im waiting for my accounts to get bans, cause there is no way i dont have duped stuff on my accounts just from simply buying items over the last year.

i know my entire guild (which includes mods) is just waiting for one more person or account in our group to get hit and we are all punching out.

love this game.
but wont play in fear or losing all i have just because i purchased items off a vender.

fix the dupe.
dont hunt down and kill the unsespecting shopper.

dumbest battle plan for fixing an in game problem i have ever heard.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

:bs:

Fix the damned problems, and let the players play. I'm out of sympathy for the Devs and QA and whoever. It's their code, they need to fix it! We certainly can't. Personallyl, I think they should just announce, that anything still on a vendor for sale is safe to buy and own. This constant lookin over your shoulder bs is
:lame:
and wearing thin. Mythic, fix your product or make everything legal.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
wonders if was same transfers or a new batch hehe and how many did he buy in that batch?? and what price this looks like a troll post !!!!!!!!

Transfer tokens on great lakes and he said that same vendor has them back again. He was on his other account checking to see what happened to the vendor.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If somone was selling 200mill worth of xfer tokens all in one go, i think id be wondering where they came from. I think if anyone stupid enough to buy them all, well you get what you deserve. Pitty the account wasnt perma banned if you ask me.
Dont get me wrong, i think the person you baught them off should also be perma banned, and all accounts linked to credit cards of the account, and your friends too.

If somthing seems too good to be true, it usially is.

But i look at it along the lines of, we're better off without people like that, and your friend in the community. It was a bad buisness decision to buy those items, people lose in buisness. If you made a bad decision and lost out on it, why should we care?

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know all the (gold) poor jerks and newbies will flame but I need some answers. A friend of mine was banned for 72 hours for buying items that were said to be duped off a vendor. The items were taken and the gold was not returned plus a ban was put into effect. He and I have been buying and selling for profit for over 6 years now. That is a staple of our play. How the $#$# are we supposed to know if something is duped??? He is probably going to quit and I am at least closing one of my last two accounts. I didn't think it could ever happen to one of us because we always have played the game by the rules. This beloved game is dying a slow death and they are just trying to push it into the grave.

"He and I have been buying and selling for profit for over 6 years now."

Long enough to know a really good deal when you see one right?

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but wont play in fear or losing all i have just because i purchased items off a vender.

fix the dupe.
dont hunt down and kill the unsespecting shopper.
Unsuspecting shopper? Ha! You buy 200mill worth of xfer tokens of one single vendor, if you didnt 'suspect' anything and you feel sorry for him, then your even more ignorant then the OT.

We're not talking about a dozen tokens here, we're talking about a fair few... Sheesh. Im sorry he didnt get all his account perma banned.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I smell a big fat troll.my appologies to any troll who may be ofended,but it is what it is.

S

Starla

Any sort of 24 hr /72 hr/ even permanent banning for buying things is unfair to the players. How do we know an item is 'real' or 'dupe' on a vendor?

Firstly, we do not personally know who own the vendors and whether they are dupers. Secondly, if you do not play KR, its hard to see how many of the same items are stacked on top of each other. And those dupes look exactly the same and are not tagged THIS IS A DUPE - BUY AT OWN RISK.

Do we need to page an ingame GM before we buy anything off vendors?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
at todays prices on tokens? I can believe it. You shoulda seen how many tokens I had, with 4 accounts, and trading across shards with 28 chars.
It doesn't take long to get close to 200 mil worth!

Regardless, the root of the problem is that duping is allowed and enabled.
Fix the code, ya fixed the problem.
So simple a redneck can figure it out.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"He and I have been buying and selling for profit for over 6 years now."

Long enough to know a really good deal when you see one right?
That was my thought but the problem is that people who buy and sell try to buy low so they can actually make a profit. I also buy and sell and I am not defending this person.

What I can tell you is that tokens are something to avoid as a buyer because they are often duped runics and rares fall in the same category. If you see these types of items cheap you should know right then and there that something is up. Some items are going to slip under the radar though so your never 100% safe but if you use your head your highly unlikely to get caught up in a bad situation.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I don't buy much stuff off vendors, but the other day I was in a crafting mood and burnt the last of my low end runics. Not getting the desired results, I went to luna to shop and found a bag of 10 shadow runics for sale.

I noticed when I bought the bag of hammers my paperdoll closed. To me it looks like maybe they have a tagging system in. My concern is that does it really work as intended. Considering all the bugs over the years that get through TS and QA.

L

Lord Forest

Unsuspecting shopper? Ha! You buy 200mill worth of xfer tokens of one single vendor, if you didnt 'suspect' anything and you feel sorry for him, then your even more ignorant then the OT.

We're not talking about a dozen tokens here, we're talking about a fair few... Sheesh. Im sorry he didnt get all his account perma banned.

Yes, I know in your little world that seems like a lot. When they came out I had 100s of them so why should I think small like you and think I was the only one who had as many?

S

Shayne

Yeah I'm calling 100% total crap on your part. A vendor selling is a vendor selling, and if I go out, and see bkits, or an artifact or artifacts that I'm looking for, and I have the cash, by all means I'm gonna go buy them. By EA having their head up their *&^*&^ and banning people for buying something on a vendor, thats ABSOLUTE CRAP. If EA wants the people who buy items off a vendor or player to find out if the items are duped bugged or whatever, then those worthless GM's need to answer more questions in game other than pointing to that worthless 'EA Support' page. Sorry I'm totally sympathizing with the poster of this thread, and 100% dogging the mod who said this outlandish piece of worthless information.

Ok ranting done have a nice day.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I know in your little world that seems like a lot. When they came out I had 100s of them so why should I think small like you and think I was the only one who had as many?

Actualy ive been a high end rares collector for years and reguarly xfer to other shards. I use the knowledge ive gained over the years ive been playing to keep myself safe. Like knowing that buying 200mill worth of xfer tokens off a vendor is a little dodgey... :scholar:

Plucky Duck

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ignorance is not bliss and in this case it is not a defense either. Stop trying to play the victim and trying to rally others to youre cause of being a innocent shopper that just happened to buy items at a cheap price. You obivously know about the boards since you posted here and unless youre just stupid you know that the biggest point of discussion on these boards have been the bannings of players for dupes and urls latly.

I for one say Bravo to EA for banning another dipstick that thought they were beyond reproach and could do whatever they pleased ingame and not get caught. Too bad it wasnt a perma bann though because as with all stories the teller is going to show themselves in the best light possible and unfortantly even with the best light shown in this story he was still in the shade and what is bad in this case is there is no way to claim innocence when you buy in the volumes you did and you toke a risk and got busted for it.:loser:

L

Lord Drakelord

A very good friend of my daughter's returned last year after being gone from UO for a few years. She unloaded a few of her older rares to purchase items in Luna. She was perma ban for buying what was illlegal dupes. All she did was page for a GM to come fix a problem at her house, and found herself in jail, then was force out of game, and her account blocked.

The email that follow to explain was she had illegal items and was perma ban. Those items were all brought in Luna before the great house fires across the shards. Sadly her friend just could not see starting all over and retraining new charactors and went back to WoW. My daughter was very upset over this, as she knew her friend very well, and knew there was no way her friend had known that items sold in a open market such as Luna would lead to her being ban from UO.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of interest, has anyone been able to positively ID a dupe yet?

Thus far I've only heard of one person even getting a response from a GM about a given item, and that was "sorry, can't help you with that".

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the case in point here is not that the OP should have known they were dupes, becuase we havent been given a way to determine whatis or isnt duped.

the case in point is it shouldnt be the players responsability to police for dupes, or to receive account action for other peoples wrong doings.

EA needs to police the vendors. thats their job. not ours. buyer beware my pale white rear end. tyvm.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Actualy ive been a high end rares collector for years and reguarly xfer to other shards. I use the knowledge ive gained over the years ive been playing to keep myself safe. Like knowing that buying 200mill worth of xfer tokens off a vendor is a little dodgey... :scholar:
you contradict yourself so many times i dont even know where to start.
im sitting here shaking my head.

you claim to be a 'high end rares collector for YEARS' yet you say that buying 200mill worth of items looks dodgey.......

firstlly, if you do actually buy and sell rares, then spending upwards of 200mill PER ITEM would be a common thing for ya.

second, do you really think that everyone one of those hundreds of millions of gold of checks that you are insinuating you have arnt duped?

keeping yourself safe.
there is NO WAY you can say what items are duped and real in this day and age in UO.
walking up to a vender is a crap shoot.
so to say that you are above this all and you are a smart shopper when nobody knows is just silly.

you could be the smartest safest shopper in the game and chances that you are gonna get a duped check/token/runic/arty are high.
unless you purchased the token from EA or got the arty yourself in doom and then sold it to yourself in a private sale your blowing smoke up peoples.... well we all know where that is going.

the sooner people figure out that everyone is at risk during this "EA Inquistion" and some change is made the better.

ive said it over and over and over again.
EA should sell a token that would kill off any duped item on our accounts.
that or stop banning people from buying items off of venders.

ban the dupers, not the unsuspecting buyers.

L

Lord Forest

Ignorance is not bliss and in this case it is not a defense either. Stop trying to play the victim and trying to rally others to youre cause of being a innocent shopper that just happened to buy items at a cheap price. You obivously know about the boards since you posted here and unless youre just stupid you know that the biggest point of discussion on these boards have been the bannings of players for dupes and urls latly.

I for one say Bravo to EA for banning another dipstick that thought they were beyond reproach and could do whatever they pleased ingame and not get caught. Too bad it wasnt a perma bann though because as with all stories the teller is going to show themselves in the best light possible and unfortantly even with the best light shown in this story he was still in the shade and what is bad in this case is there is no way to claim innocence when you buy in the volumes you did and you toke a risk and got busted for it.:loser:
First off 10 million is not cheap. Dupers do not discount. What's wrong with someone buying for 10 mil and selling for 11 or 12?

ok so my friends and my game play should be stopped because we have to be afraid of buying duped items. WTF! Are you quite mad? This is my game that I pay to play. I should not have to look at the boards for anything. I should be able to play how I like with no regard for fools like you. My friend doesn’t look at these boards and I haven’t been on them for months. I don’t troll like some. I have better things to do with my time and it’s not playing UO these days. It's not my fault they can't fix the gaping holes in this game.

S

Satanatra

Say what you will - but this 72 hour SUSPENSION proves 2 things to me:

1) EA/mythis ARE LISTENING to us -this wasnt a banned account. You got a warning and you lost the duped items that you bought. In the previous threads on this topic, this is exactly what we asked for: warnings and lose of duped items. If you want to take a chance on cheap items (ie vine cord sandles) then you have to accept the risk that you might lose them.

2) We ARENT listening. People are still going out and mass buying items at low prices without taking into account the possible consequences. You say you have been buying like this for years so you know what normal prices are.
You SHOULD know better and at least accept the risks...

This is a game but it follows the logic of the real world too. If you buy a car (what a great price for a new Porshe!) and it turns out to be stolen, you lose the car. Nothing else happens. If you buy 30 new Porshes (What a deal!) and you get caught - you go to prison. How are you supposed to know if the car is stolen? If you suspect something, investigate. "But the GMs wont tell me if an item is stolen," you say? Guess what - the police dont come to your house and tell you not to buy a car because it is stolen either. I once was offered a laptop for a great price (way back when laptops were very expensive). I was worried that it was stolen but wanted to buy it - i called my police station and asked them to check the serial number for me. They refused to and said that if i had doubts i shouldnt buy it OR that i should bring it to the station and they could tell me there (ie they would take it from me if it was). It was my risk - and i should buy it if i couldnt deal with it.

What does all this tell me - like ive always thought: buying one item off a vendor for a good price might get you a warning. You might lose the item. Buy 30 items off a vendor for a good price - you are taking a risk.

I dont see a problem with existing in UO under these conditions.

L

Lord Forest

A very good friend of my daughter's returned last year after being gone from UO for a few years. She unloaded a few of her older rares to purchase items in Luna. She was perma ban for buying what was illlegal dupes. All she did was page for a GM to come fix a problem at her house, and found herself in jail, then was force out of game, and her account blocked.

The email that follow to explain was she had illegal items and was perma ban. Those items were all brought in Luna before the great house fires across the shards. Sadly her friend just could not see starting all over and retraining new charactors and went back to WoW. My daughter was very upset over this, as she knew her friend very well, and knew there was no way her friend had known that items sold in a open market such as Luna would lead to her being ban from UO.
This game is going under and it seems they are trying to push all the older accounts out. Maybe that's a way of weeding out all the 2d users. Im sorry you had to deal with that. I loved this game and it makes me sick as to what they are doing now. I've dealt with all the changes but bans for buyers is crap!

L

Lord Forest

the case in point here is not that the OP should have known they were dupes, becuase we havent been given a way to determine whatis or isnt duped.

the case in point is it shouldnt be the players responsability to police for dupes, or to receive account action for other peoples wrong doings.

EA needs to police the vendors. thats their job. not ours. buyer beware my pale white rear end. tyvm.

Well said!

L

Lord Forest

"EA Inquistion"

ban the dupers, not the unsuspecting buyers.
HA! I guess that's why they had those being burrned at the stake in Luna. So much history comes to mind here and none of it good.

L

Lord Forest

Say what you will - but this 72 hour SUSPENSION proves 2 things to me:

1) EA/mythis ARE LISTENING to us -this wasnt a banned account. You got a warning and you lost the duped items that you bought. In the previous threads on this topic, this is exactly what we asked for: warnings and lose of duped items. If you want to take a chance on cheap items (ie vine cord sandles) then you have to accept the risk that you might lose them.

2) We ARENT listening. People are still going out and mass buying items at low prices without taking into account the possible consequences. You say you have been buying like this for years so you know what normal prices are.
You SHOULD know better and at least accept the risks...

This is a game but it follows the logic of the real world too. If you buy a car (what a great price for a new Porshe!) and it turns out to be stolen, you lose the car. Nothing else happens. If you buy 30 new Porshes (What a deal!) and you get caught - you go to prison. How are you supposed to know if the car is stolen? If you suspect something, investigate. "But the GMs wont tell me if an item is stolen," you say? Guess what - the police dont come to your house and tell you not to buy a car because it is stolen either. I once was offered a laptop for a great price (way back when laptops were very expensive). I was worried that it was stolen but wanted to buy it - i called my police station and asked them to check the serial number for me. They refused to and said that if i had doubts i shouldnt buy it OR that i should bring it to the station and they could tell me there (ie they would take it from me if it was). It was my risk - and i should buy it if i couldnt deal with it.

What does all this tell me - like ive always thought: buying one item off a vendor for a good price might get you a warning. You might lose the item. Buy 30 items off a vendor for a good price - you are taking a risk.

I dont see a problem with existing in UO under these conditions.
Again I ask who said they were bought at such a bargan? When I made my first mil I bought an arti with it and turned it into 1.2 million. I bought other items and resold them for profit and it wasn't usually more than 20 to 30%.

It is insane to compare items in a game to real life. You need to get out more. If they can tell if an items is copied in game to ban players they should be able to tell a player that an item is copied and then delete it on the spot before the item is bought.

G

galefan2004

I know all the (gold) poor jerks and newbies will flame but I need some answers.
You have yet to ask an actual question. I'm also not a gold poor jerk or a newbie and I still wouldn't buy items from a vendor that had 30 of an item that was susposed to be among the rarest items in the game.

A friend of mine was banned for 72 hours for buying items that were said to be duped off a vendor. The items were taken and the gold was not returned plus a ban was put into effect.
GOOD! He is actually lucky he was not perma banned. They have perma banned people for doing this.

He and I have been buying and selling for profit for over 6 years now. That is a staple of our play. How the $#$# are we supposed to know if something is duped???
If the same vendor has 30 of a "rare" item then its probably duped. I honestly don't believe you are that stupid. If you have been buying and selling items for 6 years then you really shouldn't be that stupid. I have actually been earning my gold for all that time without buying and selling items.

He is probably going to quit and I am at least closing one of my last two accounts. I didn't think it could ever happen to one of us because we always have played the game by the rules. This beloved game is dying a slow death and they are just trying to push it into the grave.
Good...he should leave if he can't play by the rules. You should follow seeing it seems all you can do is complain about how unfair the rules are. Buying and selling duped items should get you banned regardless of rather you duped them or not. You are just helping the dupers profit.

You made it seem like he only bought one or two items but 200 million worth of items...come on. You are prepared to tell me some moron bought 200 million worth of valorite hammers (for example) at 15 million per and didn't realise they were duped. No one is that stupid.

G

galefan2004

Well, that's what I mean by poor in gold. I have 100s of millions of gold in items and my friend has even more plus a half billion in gold. so someone who has only bought 12 million in items shouldn't be posting about something they know nothing about.

I don't care if it was for 10 min. The gold is gone.
If you have as much gold as you claim you do then 200 million is simply a drop in the bucket so stop whining about it. People like you make inflation in this game elevate. I'm really sorry they didn't ban your friend for good. I really hope he leaves the game. I really hope you leave the game. I'd rather see the game be without $12.95 a month (x2) then have to deal with people like you.

G

galefan2004

I've never seen them be up for more than 10-15 million. You mean to tell me bought 20 transfer tokens (probably 10 million or under) in order to flip them and didn't think for a moment that no one should have that many transfer tokens? For making as much money as your friend has for exploiting the stupidity of others your friend certainly is an idiot.

G

galefan2004

Any sort of 24 hr /72 hr/ even permanent banning for buying things is unfair to the players. How do we know an item is 'real' or 'dupe' on a vendor?
He didn't buy ONE transfer token. He bought at least 20 of them (judging from the fact that they sell on the low side for 10 million and he was trying to make a profit so he would be buying on the low side and he spent 200 million). If you buy 20 duped items from the same vendor you should be smart enough to realise that 20 items that you have to pay $9.99 just to get are probably duped.

On a side note, this is another reason I see this as a total troll. All other items are just items but tokens are EAs way of suplementing the UO income. If they found someone that had 20 duped tokens they would more than likely perma ban that person, and the majority of the easy dupes that are talked about aren't capable of duping tokens because tokens are coded differently.

G

galefan2004

LOL
at todays prices on tokens? I can believe it. You shoulda seen how many tokens I had, with 4 accounts, and trading across shards with 28 chars.
It doesn't take long to get close to 200 mil worth!
200 mil worth of tokens (assuming 10 mil a token) would be $199.80. Buying gold at $1 per million would give you 200 mil for $200.

G

galefan2004

When they first came out they cost $29.95. You mean you spent $2995 on transfer tokens when they first came out? Umm...ok! When they first came out they also cost around 20 million in game gold. You mean you spent 2 billion in game gold when the first came out.

The funny thing about idiotic posters like yourself is that you never stop to do the math before making your bogus claims.

G

galefan2004

Your daughter should just go play WoW...problem solved.

G

galefan2004

This is my game that I pay to play.
No its not its EAs game. You are simply renting space each month. That is the nature of MMORPGs and you signed an agreement to this extent. Sorry if you feel any other way. I pay my $12.95 a month too and people like you are the reason I really don't even bother to log in anymore. You think this game is yours when it isn't. You think making a lot of gold over 9 years is an accomplisment when it is not. You think buying 20 transfer tokens at the same time just to resell them is smart when clearly it was not.

I should be able to play how I like with no regard for fools like you.
Yes because you pay $12.95 a month? Apparently the person you are directing must not pay the same ammount? The very fact that he pays the same same ammount completely trumps your arguement. You should be taking other players into regard with every single decision you make because they pay just as much to play as you do.

My friend doesn’t look at these boards and I haven’t been on them for months. I don’t troll like some. I have better things to do with my time and it’s not playing UO these days. It's not my fault they can't fix the gaping holes in this game.
If you have better things to do then sell your account, after all with all the gold you claim is on it it should sell quite well to someone that will be more than happy to strip it, and MOVE ON.

G

galefan2004

This game is going under and it seems they are trying to push all the older accounts out. Maybe that's a way of weeding out all the 2d users. Im sorry you had to deal with that. I loved this game and it makes me sick as to what they are doing now. I've dealt with all the changes but bans for buyers is crap!
By that logic...

All older accounts dupe
All older accounts buy dupes

Seeing they haven't banned anyone for any other reasons you are clearly full of it.

A

Aboo

I can't imagine having 200 mil. but if I did I would sure be careful about what I spent it on.

I know this is off-topic but your avatar is incredibly cute!

R

RenaLynne

Only 72 hours? From the other ban posts Ive read here he got lucky...