• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Baja's Golden Raspberry Awards

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In the Town Banner thread, Elladan and I were discussing Baja decorations,
and EM Seppo mentioned it's always better to speak up about the things you don't like than to hold your tongue hoping it goes away.

In that constructive spirit (and in part because I like anything Golden and EM Crysania is a fan of raspberries) I am nominating this thread to host the 1st Annual Baja Golden Raspberry Awards!

Please nominate your Baja eyesores or blessings/modifications that don't make sense for the Baja culture. You may also "Hear, hear!" or "I Protest!" a previous nominee. I'd also like to expand the nominee contenders to include old event modifications that annoy you. That way, if we do decide to clean them up someday at least we know what they are and where.

Please be constructive and have fun with this thread. If something you helped create receives a raspberry, please don't be offended, but recognize that we're all entitled to our opinions, especially when it comes to shard decorations, and accept the award with pride and grace. :thumbup1:

Thanks, and let the award nominations begin!

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get us started, I'd like to nominate the following two contenders for Golden Raspberries:

Big Scary Monster Buttes
Nominated for: OMGWTHIT??? Interesting? Yes, but doesn't really seem to fit Baja. I've never seen anyone use them and they're not part of a larger theme. I don't know if these were part of the Faireground Redesign competition (that was while I was gone), but as I understand, the original author's vision wasn't implemented in entirety and the result of these .... things... in the middle of a grassy field is awkward at best. Congratulations, Big Scary Monster Buttes, on your Golden Raspberry! :popcorn:

Strawberry Ice Cream
Nominated for: Confusion for a neon tightly coiled lawn present. Please don't get me wrong, I think it was clever and I adore ice cream. I do. I just think it would have melted by now and I really do think of a pink lawn present every time I walk by. Congratulations, Strawberry Ice Cream!

Submit your favorite contenders today!

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*winks* Good choices, Brytt.

You happened to pick the items placed directly by Mesanna.

You might want to find a good hiding spot....if there is one from the Dark Overlady of UO. :p

The monsters butte where placed as an experiment to replace the old tradational ones that are in place at the Skara Brae Faire Grounds, Trammel. The news ones were not liked and moved off to the side.

The ice cream was placed at part of the event Mesanna did on Baja around West Britain Bank involving the Town Guards, The Yattering and other goblins.

WildStar

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might want to find a good hiding spot....if there is one from the Dark Overlady of UO. :p
We've not yet met (at least, not under that name!) but I'm sure if I had a list of the things she's placed, I'd probably find several that are in my list of favorites. Just not these two. :) Did she do the Yattering tree?

They're "cool avant-garde" items, in and of themselves, but "cool avant-garde" isn't Baja. We're definely more of a "Classical realism" shard. I think for most of Baja, neon gives us angst.

That's my perception of our collective "style" anyway. We'll see what others have to say as the Raspberries come in!

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Strawberry Ice Cream
Nominated for: Confusion for a neon tightly coiled lawn present. Please don't get me wrong, I think it was clever and I adore ice cream. I do. I just think it would have melted by now and I really do think of a pink lawn present every time I walk by. Congratulations, Strawberry Ice Cream!

I agree. But I would not remove items like the Ice Cream Cone completely.

Why not take the Ice Cream Cone and move it to Good Eats (Bakery Shop) in Britain? Or the Goblins can stick it in the Yatterings Den.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I nominate Luna?

Elanesse Park
Location: The First Bank of New Britain. (Otherwise known as West Britain Bank.)
Nominated For: It is not finished.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I nominate Luna?
*Snickers*. Hear! Hear!

Elanesse Park
Location: The First Bank of New Britain. (Otherwise known as West Britain Bank.)
Nominated For: It is not finished.
Wow! WTH is that??? Is that what Baja's WBB was originally going to look like? That's gorgeous! And I love the stone stairs so much more than the red ones.

Whereever you got those screenshots, those are much more Baja's style than what we have now. Very Classical Realism. Hear! Hear!

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An Addendum: Amber Witch filled me in on some of the backstory of the Goblin invasions and part of why WBB looks the way it does. Thanks Amber. That helps a bit.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Brytt said:
Wow! WTH is that??? Is that what Baja's WBB was originally going to look like?
Yes.

The West Britain Bank Design Contest. A winning entry was chosen for each shard and that was ours.

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Luna.....Did I hear Luna? *cheers* Opps...did I say that outloud?

Here is my nomination for something that needs to be put back to normal:

The Goblin Doors at the EM's Office near Blackthorne's Castle

WildStar

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

WildStar

moi aussi

/signed

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get us started, I'd like to nominate the following two contenders for Golden Raspberries:

Big Scary Monster Buttes
Nominated for: OMGWTHIT??? Interesting? Yes, but doesn't really seem to fit Baja. I've never seen anyone use them and they're not part of a larger theme. I don't know if these were part of the Faireground Redesign competition (that was while I was gone), but as I understand, the original author's vision wasn't implemented in entirety and the result of these .... things... in the middle of a grassy field is awkward at best. Congratulations, Big Scary Monster Buttes, on your Golden Raspberry! :popcorn:

Strawberry Ice Cream

moi aussi

/signed

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

WildStar
Yeah, I hear the goblin invasions were ridiculously fun (it happened while I was gone), but now--many months later--I wonder if the mess may be losing some of its nostalgic charm. I like the idea of preserving some of the fragments of the event for history, though.

I like Warder's idea of preserving the ice cream somewhere a little more discreet. Would be cool if it could make sense, too. Do we have an ice chest/ice storage room anywhere?

Or, someone suggested auctioning it off with proceeds to benefit the Royal Guard. In which case, there's a good chance Sara and JINX might buy and stick it in the museum.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or, someone suggested auctioning it off with proceeds to benefit the Royal Guard. In which case, there's a good chance Sara and JINX might buy and stick it in the museum.
That would be The Town Guards, not the Royal Guards. I know Corporal Brackus used millions of his own gold to buy all of the smithing hammers to made decent armor.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good thread, and one to keep an eye out on.

Fortunately, we don't have nearly as many changed objects in Fel.

One wonders, though, if these two spots were going to be used in some way ever again...?

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you thank you thank you!

Today, we discovered the bank, the EM office, and the Fairegrounds to have been tidied and sparkling clean. To Mesanna, I presume, great goddess of the dark.... WBB looks fantastic, as do the Fairegrounds and the EM office.

Thank you.

Folks were worried that the Yattering tree might be gone, too, but we were relieved to see it still here. For the record, people love the Yattering tree. It is clever, unique, and doesn't distract from the in-game lore.

Thank you for the cleanup! I'm a very happy bard tonight, and the Alliance chat has been abuzz with folks who think the same.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm very pleased with this change.

It will go a long way towards bringing roleplayers back to Britain.

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, things look great, I noticed the changes at West Bank immediately.

I also noticed the Fel PvP House is getting some use again!

Magdalena Chef

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see the clean up, but could we please put a Yatterberry Tree back? Perhaps in the Yattering's home? On a little island somewhere? A Yatterberry Grove on one of the farms? Something.

They're part of the lore now and many of them have flown the shard to find homes elsewhere. It'd be fitting to have a permanent one someplace on shard where everyone could see it.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to see the clean up, but could we please put a Yatterberry Tree back? Perhaps in the Yattering's home? On a little island somewhere? A Yatterberry Grove on one of the farms? Something.

They're part of the lore now and many of them have flown the shard to find homes elsewhere. It'd be fitting to have a permanent one someplace on shard where everyone could see it.
Is that the ginberry bush thing that was by the bank stairs? Would it make sense to have one or two over by the Yattering's tree? I like that little area over there and you could have a whole grove of the things. That's still close enough to the bank that we can show folks where they are without having them grow in isolated places so close to the bank....

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Skara Brae Piers

Nominated For: I understand the reason for their implementation. An individual could ram their boat into the pads and decorations on the north side and slip away with pieces of it stuck on their deck. But the piers seem to have been thrown down almost at random and are something of an eyesore marring the original vision of the docks creator.

What should be changed? The western side has the piers bunched together where the eastern side looks a little better because they're evenly spaced apart. Move the whole thing a couple tiles north. Turn it into a straight line with each pier evenly spaced apart.

It would not only look better but it would also fit the theme that this is something people could use for fishing contests; which I believe is the unrecognizable use for the dock.

Mesanna's Cream Pie

Location: North of the Skara Brae Faireground; on the ground near the pier.

Nominated For: There is a white cream pie locked on the ground for no apparent reason.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
ICE CREAMS WAS GIFT FROM OZOG FROM CHESSY. TO SHOW NOT ALL GOBLINS BEEES BAD. IT BEES GOBLIN MAJIK ICE CREAMS NO MELT.

BEES SAFE ,HABE FUNS
OZOG