• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Bait question

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..........I have received several kinds of baits, and did some research on stratics as to when and where to use them......question is......is there a guarantee to catch the type of fish it's designed for, or is it a crap shoot?

.........I've tried a few times with 2-3 cans of special bait.....and have produced everything but what I am going after.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find bait fishing particularly frustrating..there isnt even a guarantee that IF you catch a named fish that it will be the one matching the bait!! I dont know how many times I would pull up a yellowtail barracuda or kingfish when I was using blue marlin bait!! *laughs*

J

Jonah-Fla

The bait is useless and so is the fishing books.

The bait gives the player an extremely small chance to pull up that type of fish.

The fish are trophy or cutting to make pies.

Totally useless.

I toss mine in the trash until someone can tell me the bait is actually worth something.

The fishing books should have been made to be read and then you can fish that type, just like you need a book for stone makeing and digging up sand

Naidae

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are worth Turn-in points!! Have you tried using the baits and wearing the new fishing suit??

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never actually had bait work. And it is extremely tedious to apply it for every cast. There's got to be a better way.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC drop bait in hotbox. Set target store to pole. Set hotkey cordinated to casting that pole. LeftAlt - z cast and z for bait. Good set up so when hitting server line don't use bait with them counting as shallow water.

At 600 Kingfish alone with half using the new suit. Nothing. And that is the way it should be. Way it should be. Everyone can go buy $50,000 of crap to tow behind their truck. Everyone wont have a 46" Northern Pike on their wall. Learn to enjoy the sparkle boat and the time away from the grind.

L

Logger Merinda

Here are some numbers as to bait effectiveness.

1200 casts in Tokuno without bait:
3 Big Fish
1 Giant Samurai
0 Golden Tuna
9 Koi

600 Casts in Tokuno with Koi bait.
7 Big Fish
0 Giant Samurai
0 Golden Tuna
15 Koi

I don't think the problem is the bait so much as the extreme rarity of some fish.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some numbers as to bait effectiveness.

1200 casts in Tokuno without bait:
3 Big Fish
1 Giant Samurai
0 Golden Tuna
9 Koi

600 Casts in Tokuno with Koi bait.
7 Big Fish
0 Giant Samurai
0 Golden Tuna
15 Koi

I don't think the problem is the bait so much as the extreme rarity of some fish.

Out of curiosity, did you actually count all your 1,800 casts one by one or is there a way to have them counted, precisely, in some way other than doing it visually, one by one ?

Thanks.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I make 2 secure chests in my house

1. Fish I catch depending on the weight I divide by 10 to get the amount of casts
2. Others items I count the number of items in the crate

L

Logger Merinda

Counting casts with bait is easy if you know how much bait you started with. Without bait I mostly go with fishing out a spot which usually takes 20 casts before you get your "no more fish here" message.

To speed up fishing with bait I set a last item/last target macro. This works as follows: First you bait hook then cast. After you catch a fish you hit the macro key which casts again without bait. But you can bait hook after the cast and before fish comes in. When you get the fish you hit the key again which baits the hook this time. Then cast and repeat. A bit complicated at first, but not too bad and only a bit slower normal one key fishing.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Really, they really should up the odds on the bait a bit (or, rather, a LOT).

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This old stubborn lady had it at last. I have so many baits its ambarrassing to tell. Used plenty with 120 skill and suit and never got the right kind for the bait I used. All my friends gave up long ago. Its a shame as with use for the baits and atleast turn in points for books it would be worth the time for the most stubborn fishers with lots of time to spend. Improved pies would help a bit too.
Ive been questing like crazy to get Charybdis baits only for months and months ..happened once, Got 3 oracles and all sorts of PS .. is this normal?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this still the case with the baits?

I've just started fishing and have a good collection of baits storing up from the fish monger quests.

Should I wait until 120 skill before using them also?

Chalmai

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I do not use my baits at all as I have had no luck using baits for even some of the lower end rare fish. I just turn them in for clean up points. It seems to me that I have decent enough odds of catching those rare fish without it. I am not yet 120 in fishing, so I am saving some baits for the more rare and higher skill required types (it could help--haha 1-3 % chance).

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not yet 120 in fishing, so I am saving some baits for the more rare and higher skill required types (it could help--haha 1-3 % chance).
Yeah I've been saving them until I hit 120 skill. I wonder if they work better then.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of things they said they might do to make baits easier is to make them function like fishhooks (1 application puts whole cup on pole for that many casts). I'm waitign for that.