• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back from 3 yrs

N

nyfamman

I was and am starting up a Peace/Tamer. I used to hunt with a great White Wyrm and my nightmare..occasionally a rune beetle. What is the current trend? Is the old WW and NM still a good combo or are they now obsolete?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WW, & mare still work. Although, peace isn`t as good as it use to be. Thats if you target peace. You`d probable be better served with Discord.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Current trends run toward greater dragons.

That being said, I prefer to use my rune beetle/bake kitsune combination. They kill things much more quickly than greater dragons.

But it's all situational. There are fights where the cu sidhe is the best, fights where the greater dragon is best, and fights where the beetle/bake are best (I've used all three in the last week on the new invasions/quests as well as a pair of bake kitsune and a pack of frenzied ostards).

I still see people with the nightmare/wyrm combo, but I haven't even tried it myself.

5% Luck

Ive been playing with the cu side and a giant ice worm combo. It its very nice to have that extra slot filled with deadly poison!

Other than this I thin farsight has it covered.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been using Nightmare/ Dread warhorse combo for skeletal liches, they can dish out some dmg i tell you that :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figured that since he's just starting out, the dread war horse wouldn't be an option, but if you have the means, I would highly suggest the nightmare/DWH combo as well.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was and am starting up a Peace/Tamer. I used to hunt with a great White Wyrm and my nightmare..occasionally a rune beetle. What is the current trend? Is the old WW and NM still a good combo or are they now obsolete?
The current trend is greater dragons, but personally I don't use them all that often.

I'd recommend a selection of pets - rune beetle, mare, bake kitsune, hiryu, a greater drag and possibly a cu sidhe. I don't use cus much anymore, but they are handy for area affect mobs as they can heal themselves. I love my old wws and dragons and mares still, I think you just need to learn what pets suit each situation and using those.

Wenchy

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not gonna reiterate what everyone else has already said. I myself like hunting with 2 fire steeds because of the Daemon, Equine pack instincts. They can dish out damage quickly and nicely on mobs weak to fire. However, they themselves have weak physical resistance...so you do have to watch that.

Still is fun watching 2 of them wack down artic ogre lords. Just have good vet macro and call commands.

S

Sarphus

Like farseight said it is really situational. Most tamers are running the greater dragons, but you can do more damage with a number of other combinations.

Some of the oldest pet strategies are still completely viable. For example, I've been running a pack of frenzied ostards quite a bit lately and have been doing very well with them.

I also like greater dragons, dread warhorse + bake, beetle + bake, fire steeds and cu sidhe. I haven't tried pairing my cu with an ice worm yet. I tamed and trained a worm, but haven't actually used it :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just started playing with a pack of frenzied ostards. Those babies are brilliant!

It makes me want to take up discord to make them even more brilliant once they're trained.

I also want a pack of hell hounds, but don't have the space on Catskills to put them on. I'll just have to start a tamer on another shard.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love, love, love my ossies. I could never give them up. Peace works ok with them but disco is the more powerful skill I think. If I put bard skills on my newest tamer, I'll give her just disco. It can make powerful pets even more devistating.

I've been killing skeletal liches with my hell kittens for fun and profit. Everyone was laughing when I walked into the graveyard with them.

S

Sarphus

Frenzies are really powerful if you know what to look for in their stats. I don't think most people run the numbers, but frenzies hit their maximum natural damage potential at 161+ str. Also, at that threshold, a bless from a mage with eval takes them to the next damage threshold.

I spent a month farming ostards until I had a pack with high hp and 161+ str. It was worth it. They 1 hit kill wild rune beetles about 10% of the time. I've been using them pretty heavily to kill generals really fast. I run 2 characters simultaneously. I take care of crowd control with the one char and run the ostards on the other. Using this strategy, I can kill a general faster than any 4-6 man party I have seen so far. Also, I get 2 items :)