• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back before they ruined the unicorn

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the Lasher isn't too bad (2:30):

I mean, I don't get why they added the facial hair thing or whatever that is, but it seems to move a little better than the 2D CC unicorn art does.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silver steed, original unicorn, original ridgeback.... The almighty red eagle phoenix...

* holds a moment of silence for the lost creatures of Britannia *
Original Ki-Rin too, was an orange horse before they added the "improved art work" I mean I get it, it was a place holder for 3D but I liked my orange horse. =[ Pure White unicorn was way better too instead of what we have now.

The Phoenix is a travesty. It was fine before, now its an ugly abomination from hell. I am personally fine with rehues, at this point its a UO tradition. I have no issue with multi colored horses, or pet dyes or whatever at this point that boat sailed away the day they added tokuno dyes to the game.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Original Ki-Rin too, was an orange horse before they added the "improved art work" I mean I get it, it was a place holder for 3D but I liked my orange horse. =[ Pure White unicorn was way better too instead of what we have now.

The Phoenix is a travesty. It was fine before, now its an ugly abomination from hell. I am personally fine with rehues, at this point its a UO tradition. I have no issue with multi colored horses, or pet dyes or whatever at this point that boat sailed away the day they added tokuno dyes to the game.
I'd like to know in what universe a plain white horse becomes a unicorn.... and how you people think that it's BETTER than an actual UNICORN???

Smokin crack me thinks... I'm sorry but I like a unicorn to NOT be a horse. If I wanted a white horse I'd have a white horse but I wouldn't call it a Unicorn... without the signature horn it's just another horse.

The Phoenix is not a Travesty...

and an Orange horse is an orange horse.... all day long... not a Kirin...

Would you like to go to 8 bit graphics as well???

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm, actually i think you'll find the orange horse in UO is called The Fire Steed.....but nooooo they not screwed that up have they.....Disparity all though UO with bogus reasons galour...
She just cannot say "we screwed up, we'll put it back",
Rule 3 of being a bad Boss : NEVER admit you were wrong.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Erm, actually i think you'll find the orange horse in UO is called The Fire Steed.....but nooooo they not screwed that up have they.....Disparity all though UO with bogus reasons galour...
That horse looks flame colored to me... however I'll say that when we had the other client... 3rd dawn... they had the most awesome flame effect on their feet... ah... I do miss dancing, and waving and all those wonderful things we used to be able to do with 3rd Dawn....

Now IMO the look of the game should always move FORWARD..... updating and upgrading over time. That's my opinion.

Personally I would like to see Silver Steeds and Dark Steeds return to game... Maybe that can be a new vet reward or item in the shop.

You can pine away all your time reliving the past or you can open your eyes and embrace the future... either way time goes on...

Sure I miss things about the past... but what I miss more than anything are the people... friends that have gone... whether then simply left, got married and started families taking all their time, found other games to occupy their time, or passed away. I miss community. I miss the Urks, Highland Guard, Booga Tribe, RBKP, and oh so many others that made the community of GLs such a wonderful and fun place to be. I'm not concerned about the color of a silly bird...

I'm concerned that after all this time I still can't see the Giant Horde Minion... Went to an EM Event on another shard today... while one person saw this:

Missing Minion.png

I was left with this:

Whats Missing.png

Now I know something is missing I can see it speaking when it spoke but ... I don't know about you but I'm not seeing a giant purple horde minion in that image.

Thinking THAT is a bigger problem than having your red eagle turned into a pink plumed giant phoenix...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
upload_2018-1-26_11-21-9.jpeg

Nope, it's just an Orange hue'd horse.
By Mesannas thinking it should now be re-hued to the same colours of the Fake Phoenix....if that's what they are classing as "fire" effects now.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I loved how the Third Dawn Firesteed's flaming hooves would still show when you hid LOL

Yep, that made it to prodo...testing sucked even back then

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm guessing this would be the basis of the current phoenix Phoenix (mythology) - Wikipedia while the original is just a re-coloured eagle. I'm inclined to believe that a phoenix should be significantly larger than an eagle. My personal favourites when I googled for images are this one: http://projectphoenix.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/phoenix_Darkphoenix.jpg (left image) but it belongs to a different game :( and this one
https://img00.deviantart.net/b1c4/i/2017/187/0/1/fire_phoenix_by_azany-dbfb1nm.png

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I loved how the Third Dawn Firesteed's flaming hooves would still show when you hid LOL

Hey, at least they stopped Rend before prodo...remember when you could mount Rend and bring it to Luna during testing?

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. Was literally an orange horse. Fire Steed is fire hue. Though I guess they kind of the bring back the orange horse, isn't orange one of the 16th anniversary horse colors?

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to know in what universe a plain white horse becomes a unicorn.... and how you people think that it's BETTER than an actual UNICORN???

Smokin crack me thinks... I'm sorry but I like a unicorn to NOT be a horse. If I wanted a white horse I'd have a white horse but I wouldn't call it a Unicorn... without the signature horn it's just another horse.

The Phoenix is not a Travesty...

Would you like to go to 8 bit graphics as well???
I was saying the orange horse was obviously a place holder. I liked it but knew it was meant to be temporary. It was at a time when they literally could not add art to the 2D client via patches because they had to support partial client installations that ran off the disc. So the only people getting art updates at the time were the 3D client users. The pure white horse looked beautiful and majestic. All they needed to do a bolt a horn onto it and it'd be fine. The current unicorn model isn't very nice looking, especially since its part of the batch of early LBR 3D to 2D conversions that walk like they have a stick up their butt and missing frames.

And yes the Phoenix is a travesty. They should have made two types so people could choose which kind they wanted if they are so adamant on using that ugly turkey.

At least the orange horse did make a comeback since I believe orange was one of the 16th anni horse colors.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pretty sure in 3rd dawn client the Nightmares also had red eyes if I am not mistaken? I know they stood out a bit more than being simply a black horse.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I loved how they would roll on their side and cast on you

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm....it's funny you should mention the Real Phoenix....(which should always be based on an Eagle and not a unicorn puke covered turkey).

we were just discussing which shard needs to be reminded this weekend....... :naughty-angel::devil:
Nice pictures, but they definitely have more in common with an eagle than a giant psychedelic pigeon/turkey hybrid. :D
Guy's it's Rainbow Puke Turkey . . .

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hell hath no fury like a tamer scorned.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I loved how they would roll on their side and cast on you
What would roll? Nightmares? I didn't play 3D back in the day because of how badly optimized the client was and it ran really slowly on my computer at the time.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
CC did it too..yes, they would lay on their sides and cast
First time I ever saw one, I thought, wow! he does tricks!
And then the screen went gray...

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I honestly don't remember that. Or maybe I did see it and it's not coming to mind... Oh well. XD

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all... a unicorn IS just a plain white horse... with a horn. It's not like it's some wildly different creature from a horse, its 99% horse. Umber horse vs Ki-rin, I understand, but the unicorn was 100% better as a white horse. How do people think that? Because the horse art (bleached white or not) is nice, and the "unicorn" art that replaced it was and is and ugly super high poly rendered 3d asset from a forgotten client, aka garbage.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should change the unicorn to Lashers without the rainbow colors.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm...in this game (Clan of Unicorn By Wild Foot Games), you are a unicorn...who can control other unicorns...hahahaha. I was trying to find examples of other video game unicorns. Looks like you run out of stamina faster than in UO, though :p. Can't find good isometric examples, though...

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
CC did it too..yes, they would lay on their sides and cast
First time I ever saw one, I thought, wow! he does tricks!
And then the screen went gray...
Yeah, made me so sad when they took that animation away from their fighting animations.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm...in this game (Clan of Unicorn By Wild Foot Games), you are a unicorn...who can control other unicorns...hahahaha. I was trying to find examples of other video game unicorns. Looks like you run out of stamina faster than in UO, though :p. Can't find good isometric examples, though...
UO killer right there.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That would be great :) Unicorns have became one of my favorite pets but they are just sooo ugly and deformed.
Yay other tamers finding the power of the fuglicorn. I wanted to hate my first trained unicorn so much, I really did. I have hated them for so long. But now I have an army of them because they are just so good.

I could totally get behind them changing the artwork to a reworked lasher graphic. Though I am not sure how well the ec client unicorn would translate into cc. Though honestly, I don't. Think the fuglicorn could get much worse.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Ever since someone pointed it out to me, I cannot unsee the horrible front legs of the Unicorn. They look like human legs/feet instead of actual horse hooves. Now everytime I see a unicorn I picture 2 people in a unicorn costume running around.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ummmm, yeah lets just delete all the monsters/animals and make everything look like a different hued horse or eagle???
I cannot beleive it but i have finally agreed with @MalagAste , the end is nigh.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yay other tamers finding the power of the fuglicorn. I wanted to hate my first trained unicorn so much, I really did. I have hated them for so long. But now I have an army of them because they are just so good.

I could totally get behind them changing the artwork to a reworked lasher graphic. Though I am not sure how well the ec client unicorn would translate into cc. Though honestly, I don't. Think the fuglicorn could get much worse.
LOL I have used a couple of Bruce Jenner tokens just to be able to tame and use them. I would be happy if they just made a white horse and stuck a horn on it and replaced the old 3D relic. 2 slot mare vs 2 slot unicorn I will take the unicorn every time :)