• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Back again troubles digging chest

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok I have been working my t hunter until my fingers hurt. I have her 100 carto, 100 LP, 100 hiding and stealth. I am still working mystic and magery.

Tonight I grabbed a plainly map read it and headed off to the spot or so I thought. I dbl click the shovel and click the map, nada zip, nothing after that happens. No new targeting cursor or message saying hey dummy your in the wrong place. What am I doing wrong?

I keep reading as much as I can about this process. I run EC have cartographer map zoom in to compare the t maps to world map. I even tried to make a local map and plotted the 4 corners. I don't think that makes any sense at all in the EC version. I can't make any lines in my map so what is the sense?

This use to be so much fun and now it just stinks. I am pretty frustrated and have a headache trying to accomplish this.
Any help to tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks all comments appreciated.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'll have to double check, but i think you just left click on the map. It will give you the option to dig up the chest. I remember doing the same. Also don't forget to check what facet the map is for. I spent two hours,getting madder than a wet hen, trying to find a map. Imfound out that the map was in Malas not tram. :oops: I've not used EC for treasure hunting. I do know that using uomapper, the pin is off. If you can find a davies locker, it will give part of the coordinates. Also check the treasure hunting thread at the top. Don't give up, teasure hunting is still fun, just more hunting. :) Just check and you do have to left click the map. Also check with other thunters. I know some of us have been marking runes.

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Make a new macro, drop the shovel in for the macro then right click the shovel in the macro and hover over target and choose stored. You will then click on the map that you want to dig up. Here is a video of me doing a treasure hunt. I did an adept map to make it quick and easy.

http://www.twitch.tv/dreadlordlestat/b/624944458

I hope this is what you meant and hope it helps

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
DL Lestat the video is great,and it sure helped, but how did you enlarge the treasure map? If I could enlarge the map I wouldn't have as much problem I don't think. I have tried scrolling to make it bigger and dbl clicking on it. How do I get it larger than what it shows?

I also don't get the map to be translucent.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Duncan, I wasn't able to use my mic when I made it or I would have talked you through what I was doing. I went ahead and recorded another with sound though my mic is not that good. I hope you can hear it and get something out of it. I am very new to recording and streaming lol. http://www.twitch.tv/dreadlordlestat/b/625222825

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
DL Lestat I couldn't hear the video but what I got out of this recording that I didn't see in the other was the Toggle Scale mode icon. Now that I see how you enlarged the maps I tried it and it works terrific! Hot Doggies I also saw the Alpha mode and made the map more translucent. Armed with this new information let me go try out the map. Thanks a lot for your help I really mean it!

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Glad I could help! :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still don't understand why anyone uses the click tool/target map/target ground method for T-hunting, if not using an EC macro.

It's still a lot less clicking to click the map, choose from the context menu, then target the ground, to me.

For that matter, I still don't get why anyone not on an Abyss shard (SP/Mugen) would waste hiding & Stealth on a T-hunter - especially on a mage. It's easier for me to mark a rune 2-3 screens away, cast recall or Sacred journey as you dig, and target the rune as the spawn pops, then walk back to the chest, soloing 1 spawn at a time. But then, I rend to think outside the box.

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is there a way to macro that in CC? I still use the old fashion contextual menu but rarely have any issues finding chests but would be nicer to hit one key to dig as I walk.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just finished my treasure hunter and I'm doing the same thing as Basara. The only difference is I've been recalling back home, which has been a little interesting when i return with the speed hacking guardians. I'll probably do the few screens away tactic from now on. I've worked my way up from plainly to deviously refining my process with my Sampire. Today I'll move onto Ingeniously. The Malas level 6 spawn doesn't look all that more difficult from a level 5. But the Trammel level 6 with ancient wyrms added to the mix might be interesting.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Ancient dragons are the only parts of the Tram/Fel spawn I have issues with, personally.

Tokuno maps, on the other hand, are downright dangerous at level 5-6, before factoring in that nearly everyone I've had ended up in such fun places as next to the Dojo, at a Lady of the Snow, Rune Beetle or Yamandon spawn location, or in those crowded woods loaded with Kaze Kemono and Bake Kitsune. In Tokuno I die more from the locals trying to dig the map than from spawn after it's dug.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, after doing a bunch of the tram / fel level 6 maps I'm probably 50/50 with my adjusted thunter template for taking a dirt nap with the ancient wyrms. I had 4 on one map, 2 initial, and two after pulling what i wanted out of the chest.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still don't understand why anyone uses the click tool/target map/target ground method for T-hunting, if not using an EC macro.

It's still a lot less clicking to click the map, choose from the context menu, then target the ground, to me.

For that matter, I still don't get why anyone not on an Abyss shard (SP/Mugen) would waste hiding & Stealth on a T-hunter - especially on a mage. It's easier for me to mark a rune 2-3 screens away, cast recall or Sacred journey as you dig, and target the rune as the spawn pops, then walk back to the chest, soloing 1 spawn at a time. But then, I tend to think outside the box.
That is EXACTLY what I do, and it works great for me.

Dexterslab

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I also use Basara's method. Double click shovel --> target map --> target ground.
In CC you can make a macro in assist and switch target to target relativ location. Then you can bounce happy through the forest and only use one key to play the assist-macro. When you go on to the next treasuremap you only have to change the target in the second line of the macro.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make a new macro, drop the shovel in for the macro then right click the shovel in the macro and hover over target and choose stored. You will then click on the map that you want to dig up. Here is a video of me doing a treasure hunt. I did an adept map to make it quick and easy.

http://www.twitch.tv/dreadlordlestat/b/624944458

I hope this is what you meant and hope it helps
Nice video, and appreciate the effort, but I'm stunned that this is what t-hunting has come down to. Matching the maps and lining them up ?? Why do we even have to bother with skills then ? When I DO get lucky and actually start a dig now, its hilarious to watch the chest come up half a screen away from where I actually targeted. Is this really the best the coding can get for t-maps ?

Dexterslab

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am with you GarthGrey. I like the old system with the rune-libs. I don't have much time for playing and it is realy frustrating to dig and dig and dig with gm mining and find nothing in the place the map says.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nice video, and appreciate the effort, but I'm stunned that this is what t-hunting has come down to. Matching the maps and lining them up ?? Why do we even have to bother with skills then ? When I DO get lucky and actually start a dig now, its hilarious to watch the chest come up half a screen away from where I actually targeted. Is this really the best the coding can get for t-maps ?
The old way was use a rune library, recall or gate to the exact location and dig. Most got to the point, like I did, even without using the rune library you would know exactly where to go after doing tmaps for a a few months. At least it is random now. No one said that one would have to enlarge and line maps up, it is just one way to do them,

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't get me wrong, that looks like the only way to do it apparently. I spent an hour last time dancing around what I thought was the spot before I finally gave up and put it back in the locker. I can get a lot of things done in an hour in UO.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With GM mining I havent had a single issue finding the spot, in fact my first dig is usually right about 25% of the time. I don't even need the coords from davies locker anymore. I just get the maps to the same scale and tilt and get myself lined up with the landmarks in common between the maps and dig.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I've noted before, some people (like me) have odd issues where the maps are off by a screen width or more.

Rather than use map zooming, I prefer just using the Locker to get rough coordinates, then use something to get my location when I get to the general area (sextant, UOA "-where" command, EC macro, etc.) I drop 4 bandages at the corners of the 1x1 degree area, then start "Mowing the lawn" with digs or casts like they do with Ground-penetrating radar or sonar in real life to look for buried/sunken treasure. Works great for both T-hunting and SOS.