• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back after many years, where do everyone hangout?

psycoder

Visitor
Hey guys,

I was inactive for many years. Now, I am back.... Turns out my guild is still active and they are putting an hour long hunt every night, which is awesome...

That being said, it feels like other than that 1 hour, i am pretty much playing a single player game... I barely run into other people to talk/play with.

My best memories of this game are from when dungeon doom first came out. It was awesome to see 20-50 player go at a boss... I wonder where do every one go these days?? Is there any common hunting spots, like doom, with many people these days?

Thanks in advance...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hey guys,

I was inactive for many years. Now, I am back.... Turns out my guild is still active and they are putting an hour long hunt every night, which is awesome...

That being said, it feels like other than that 1 hour, i am pretty much playing a single player game... I barely run into other people to talk/play with.

My best memories of this game are from when dungeon doom first came out. It was awesome to see 20-50 player go at a boss... I wonder where do every one go these days?? Is there any common hunting spots, like doom, with many people these days?

Thanks in advance...
Hey buddy -

Welcome back. Luna is where people still mainly hang out, but you will find people in Brit and Haven.

If you have any questions - don't be shy about asking in here or reaching out. Good luck!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have not been in game for a while now but I lurk here from time to time.. strange that you can't find folks on Atlantic. Large population on that shard.
Atlantic population has dropped significantly over the last year. I see about 25% less people now than I did this time last year. I'm not really sure where everyone went, but these days Luna/Haven/Britain banks are the only reliable place to find people. Out in the wilderness, especially in felucca, it's rare to see other people if there isn't something scheduled.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The players on Atlantic are all on low pop shards farming so they can bring it back to Atlantic so the local players on those small shards can transfer to Atlantic to buy those items and then take them back to their home shards. :) Welcome back.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The players on Atlantic are all on low pop shards farming so they can bring it back to Atlantic so the local players on those small shards can transfer to Atlantic to buy those items and then take them back to their home shards. :) Welcome back.
:facepalm:

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I moved permanently off Atlantic, because my ping to that server is terrible.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on the shard you're on, the populations go towards almost zero.
The sad part is, that lots of people on these forums seems to like it that way, so they can have their "single player experience". The times of UO being an MMO seem to be over, where you were running always into someone, regardless where and at which time of the day...
But as others pointed out, using the general chat (it's server-wide), might be a good idea.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Depending on the shard you're on, the populations go towards almost zero.
The sad part is, that lots of people on these forums seems to like it that way, so they can have their "single player experience". The times of UO being an MMO seem to be over, where you were running always into someone, regardless where and at which time of the day...
But as others pointed out, using the general chat (it's server-wide), might be a good idea.
And the sad part is there are also people here that think UO should be played the way they think it should be played regardless of what anybody thinks. UO is a sandbox, play it they way you want to and there are more people on these so called zero population shards than you think just because they do not want to talk to you means nothing.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the sad part is there are also people here that think UO should be played the way they think it should be played regardless of what anybody thinks. UO is a sandbox, play it they way you want to and there are more people on these so called zero population shards than you think just because they do not want to talk to you means nothing.
Anybody can play like he wants.
And what does playstyle have to do with shard population? Maybe you misunderstood the topic...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anybody can play like he wants.
And what does playstyle have to do with shard population? Maybe you misunderstood the topic...
I understood the OP very well. I also understood you very well with your little jabs about what you consider low population shards and everybody here on these forums know very well if it were up to you you would close all these low population shards and watch UO dye.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understood the OP very well. I also understood you very well with your little jabs about what you consider low population shards and everybody here on these forums know very well if it were up to you you would close all these low population shards and watch UO dye.
1. I never said, I would simply close shards, just to let UO die. So, can we tone down the drama a bit please...
2. Yes, I offered a solution to improve shard population. Although it might have been a radical approach, it neither did it include a simple shard merge nor closing down a shard. (and we both know how "constructive" your feedback was to that).
3. And yes as well, I'd rather risk trying to put the MM back into the MMORPG, than do nothing and stick to the current situation. (A bunch of people on a single forum threatening to quit hasn't killed it off in the last 20 years and it wouldn't then).

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone (the last year) has sold out/cashed out, quit, died or whatever. Most who left get their UO itch on many of the awesome freeshards that are available. Some have high populations actually.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Why would anyone want to play on a freeshard, where drama, favoritism, corruption ensue and where the damocles sword of the admin just closing the server hangs over your head?
That's only an option for people who are too cheap to play the sub and don't really care about the game (anymore).

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yep Atlantic too crowded and laggy...for anything but shopping.

psycoder

Visitor
I am not sure why/when/what/how the name calling started... All I am saying is that, I enjoy killing big mobs with 10+ people hitting him... Are there any content like that where I can find people?

So far, I checked doom, champs, random stuff, abyss dungeon, or whatever else I can think of... I could not find people to play with... I am not kidding when I say this, but other than when my guild is running events, the game really feels like single player...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am not sure why/when/what/how the name calling started... All I am saying is that, I enjoy killing big mobs with 10+ people hitting him... Are there any content like that where I can find people?
Generally, the only place to reliably find that other than guildhunts is the monthly EM events run by UO employees. Each shard has 2 or 3 events per month where there are always strong bosses like you are describing. On Atlantic the events are every Thursday at 8 Pm Eastern Time normally. In most cases there will be 75-150 players there (although about half are people using multiple accounts).

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So far, I checked doom, champs, random stuff, abyss dungeon, or whatever else I can think of... I could not find people to play with... I am not kidding when I say this, but other than when my guild is running events, the game really feels like single player...
There is an easy way to orchestrate something like this. Use a fisher and some white fishing nets to fish up Scalis off a convenient dock. Yell in chat for help.
Scalis drops good rewards and has a ton of HP so usually you can get a crowd wacking at it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would anyone want to play on a freeshard, where drama, favoritism, corruption ensue and where the damocles sword of the admin just closing the server hangs over your head?
That's only an option for people who are too cheap to play the sub and don't really care about the game (anymore).
Utter drivel.

I'm trying a freeshard at the moment won't name names) and it has nothing to do with being 'cheap' (money isn't a problem to me and I have a very healthy budget to spend on what ever games I choose).

It's a stable shard that has been around for many many years and has an old school rule set which is what UO was meant to be with vanq weapons gm armour etc and some very nice castle and keep variations. None of the clutter that turned UO to spreadsheets online.

I never see any corruption and far FAR less drama than say atlntic. The shard runs at between 500-600 players at any given time. That beats most EA shards.

Most play there simply because EA no longer provides the UO that they love.

PS. That Damocles sword is also hanging precariously close to that shard you're paying through the nose for.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Nope, the current development team makes sure every new encounter is behind what I call a "party-wall". You can't just jump in when you have some spare time like it worked on champ spawns, Doom or Navrey (props to the team designing Stygian Abyss!).

If you want that MMO feeling, UO is not the game anymore. We have to be realistic here. The EM system accounts for 1 hour out of 168 hours a week has. How much does that say about the sad state of MMO in UO.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Utter drivel.

I'm trying a freeshard at the moment won't name names) and it has nothing to do with being 'cheap' (money isn't a problem to me and I have a very healthy budget to spend on what ever games I choose).

It's a stable shard that has been around for many many years and has an old school rule set which is what UO was meant to be with vanq weapons gm armour etc and some very nice castle and keep variations. None of the clutter that turned UO to spreadsheets online.

I never see any corruption and far FAR less drama than say atlntic. The shard runs at between 500-600 players at any given time. That beats most EA shards.

Most play there simply because EA no longer provides the UO that they love.

PS. That Damocles sword is also hanging precariously close to that shard you're paying through the nose for.
I would have thought 500 players beats any UO shard numbers at any time even for EM events?