• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Back after a long pause : What is best pet now ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am back after a long pause and have no idea of all of the changes to taming.

What is considered now the best pet to have ?

Did they make any changes to stabling to increase the number of pets one can have ?

Has pet "swapping" command been put in (the ability to swap the pet one has with one that is in stables even when stables are at max capacity already).

Any other change a tamer should know about taming in the past 2 years or so ?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best pet depends on your point of view. Most tamers use different pets for different situations. Your stable should have the following:
1. Greater Dragon
2. Rune beetle
3. Bake kitsune
4. cu sidhe
5. nightmare
And if you can afford it, dread war horse.

And no stable changes (including that command) have been made.

Only changes are in pets, the greater dragon and the dread war horse. Info is available on the stratics hunter's guide and via search here.

R

RichDC

It will probably be said that the "best" multi-task pets are the Greater dragon and the Cu-sidhe. They pretty much can do any task by even the worst(actual skill not ingame skill) tamers.

Personally my favourite pet it the Dread Warhorse, with a bit of TLC can take anything and everything in his path, closely followed by the Rune beetle and Bake Kitsune combinations.

O

Old Man of UO

Nice list from Farsight. I wouldn't necessarily say that is my order of preference for "best pet" but those are the ones I have and use. I would also add:

#6 Five Frenzied Ostards
#7 Hiryu (look for max stats/resists)

I don't PvP (at least on purpose), but for some general PvM I would suggest:

Champ Spawns; 1) Cu Sidhe 2) Greater Dragon 3) any two pet combo (much harder to control two pets at spawns)

Doom; 1) Greater Dragon 2) Cu Sidhe 3) Any two pet combo

Peerless Dungeons; For the keys 1) Greater Dragon 2) Cu Sidhe 3) Rune Beetle and Bake or Mare (Especially if you another tamer comes along with a dragon to tank)

For PvP: 1) Dread Mare 2) Greater Dragon 3) Five Frenzied Ostards

Everyone will have their own take on this, and for some situations one pet of combination works better than others. I would suggest starting out a cu sidhe until you get used to handling that because you can also ride an ethereal pet at the same time, which you can't with a greater dragon, and the cu sidhe heals itself well when trained. But it doesn't do the most damage in the shortest amount of time. Get comfortable with that them take out the greater dragon or rune beetle/mare - bake combination so you can get used to walking while your pet fights, and learning to heal them in tough situations.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And no stable changes (including that command) have been made.

So even though new Pets have been introduced the Max number of Stable Slots is stuck to 14?

I had hoped we could have gotten a few more slots available...

R

RichDC

So even though new Pets have been introduced the Max number of Stable Slots is stuck to 14?

I had hoped we could have gotten a few more slots available...
Unfortuantly no more slots, although ive never counted to see if its 14 :)

You wont really need 14slots though in reality...3-5 pets (dread beetle bake nightmare and one other) are all you really need, i rarely do anything with a greater dragon except the odd fel spawn(they unfortunatly are awesome tanks) for me its all about damage output and combos always do more!

O

Old Man of UO

You wont really need 14slots though in reality...3-5 pets (dread beetle bake nightmare and one other) are all you really need, ...
I REALLY need more stable slots! I tame, train and sell pets to make a living in UO. I just had two white and one red cu sidhe in my stable waiting to bond to train and maxed my stables out. Now I am training the last white, and looking for more to fill the stables once again. I also look for great stat lesser hiryus and other pets for my warriors, train and then transfer them. If I tame a pet and don't use it, it does get dumped so I can always have a free slot for the unexpected exceptional tameable (aka upgrade) that I come across.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I REALLY need more stable slots! I tame, train and sell pets to make a living in UO. I just had two white and one red cu sidhe in my stable waiting to bond to train and maxed my stables out. Now I am training the last white, and looking for more to fill the stables once again. I also look for great stat lesser hiryus and other pets for my warriors, train and then transfer them. If I tame a pet and don't use it, it does get dumped so I can always have a free slot for the unexpected exceptional tameable (aka upgrade) that I come across.

I am impressed that after so many years and more tameables released there STILL is the same exact number of Stable Slots as what, 6-7 years ago ???

Not only that, not even a simple "Swap pet with Stables" command has been released to allow those tamers with full stables AND a pet in their character's control be able to swap them to make room in the stables WITHOUT having to release the bonded pet in their current control ??

WOW. Incredible..........

Do at least Game Masters assist in help swapping pets with full Stables ?

R

RichDC

Do at least Game Masters assist in help swapping pets with full Stables ?
Game Masters?? What are these mythical creatures you speak of and how can i tame one?? :p

GM's rarely do anything...ever!

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care if tamers ever get more slots in the stable

However Non tamers NEED 5 min the 2 we have now is pure garbage!
that said if was boosted to 5 tamers would get a 3 slot boost also most likely and this would make everyone happy in my opinion.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug* If wish's were .....

I would rather they pass out an Artifact that needs to be secure, lock down or in the bank box.

This Artifact can function as follows, Shift Click brings up a Menu.

1. Pet to Statuette
2. Statuette to pet
3. Destroy Statuette

1. Target Pet, click, Statuette appears in the Artifact for removal.
2. Target Statuette in the Artifact, click, Pet appears.
3. Target Statuette in the Artifact, click, Statuette it is Destroyed.

The Pet Statuette is Blessed, can be traded, can be locked down, can be placed in a container.

The Convert to Pet process should engage the requirements check.

The Trade/Purchase (Vendor Purchase) process (not to my liking mind you) can engage the requirements check.

The Pet Statuette should display the 3 screens that Animal Lore display. This could be accomplished with a Shift+Click OR more simply a Right Click. *Shrug* For the more Sadistic, Simply force Animal Lore to display tghe information.

There should be no limits on the number of pets a tamer has. No other class has a limit on their items.

U

uoBuoY

You can now have a stable in your house.
And didn't the Devs make some changes to pet commands a while back?

O

Old Man of UO

I don't care if tamers ever get more slots in the stable

However Non tamers NEED 5 min the 2 we have now is pure garbage!
that said if was boosted to 5 tamers would get a 3 slot boost also most likely and this would make everyone happy in my opinion.
How about "I don't care if non-tamers ever get more slots in the stable?" Let's say you get 3 more slots for non-tamers, then tamers get 3 more too.

Seriously, I only have one tamer and the rest of my characters do fine with 2 stable slots. I could use one more for my miner-smith, but other than that, why do you "need" 5 slots for non-tamers? What do you want to put in there?

R

RichDC

How about "I don't care if non-tamers ever get more slots in the stable?" Let's say you get 3 more slots for non-tamers, then tamers get 3 more too.

Seriously, I only have one tamer and the rest of my characters do fine with 2 stable slots. I could use one more for my miner-smith, but other than that, why do you "need" 5 slots for non-tamers? What do you want to put in there?
Normal armoured swampy, Grizzled Mare, Paroxy dragon, Colouored lesser, fighting lesser. Faction horses too.

M

Miss Ghost

Boo and welcome back Popps *huggles*

Methinks that pets should be used depending on the task required, as stated by the Lovely Old Man of UO. We all have our personal favourites, mine happens to be my special Greater, Stuffy Dwagon. These do however leave you on foot as they take up all the available pet slots when out of the stable, something I fully agree with by the way. There has to be some trade off for these veritable tanks :)

For gaining 'Honour' I use my lovely Cu Sidhe, Shade on Succubi as he fares brilliantly against them and I can ride my ethereal to keep one step ahead of her when she decides to eat me and not him :)

As for stable slots, I am actually quite happy with the number considering I have a stable almost full and use just a small number of pets in them.

Hmmm pet swapping ... I personally think that would be rather extravagant. I should know how many pets I have, what slots they take up both in and out of the stable and adjust accordingly BEFORE I tame anything new.

Now to non tamer's pet slots, I have just this to say ... well said RichDC :)

Have fun out there all of you tamers and non-tamers *huggles*

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

in the days before Beatles I could see wanting 5 packies for mining but now not so much

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's worth pointing out that a newbie tamer can't currently stable their first pack of anything under the current stable system. Which for me seems more than a little crazy.

I always figured that even if I don't have a use for extra slots on all my chars, some folks will want to have a pet ferret or a pack of silly critters. I think everyone should be able to have the pets they want, rather than be stuck with 2 slots :)

Wenchy

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to be able to have more stable slots on non-tamers.

I've never really needed it for my tamer, but I only use them for PvP so basically dread horse, beetle, mare, GD,

I would like to keep one of each faction horse bonded, a swampy, and a Hiryu when applicable.

Plus I have like 6 of those "fake nightmare" horses. The ones that look like mares but you don't need taming to ride.