Awesome interview with Lord British...

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

But why dwell on what eventually destroyed Origin? Why not embrace the future creativity.
That's exactly what I was saying. It looks like Garriott might be throwing his hat into the MMO ring once again...and it sounds like he has actually learned some things.

I'll give his ideas a chance, see what he has to offer...no offense to anyone, but he can't do much worse than the UO devs that brought us Trammel and AoS.

A

AesSedai

But why dwell on what eventually destroyed Origin? Why not embrace the future creativity.
That's exactly what I was saying. It looks like Garriott might be throwing his hat into the MMO ring once again...and it sounds like he has actually learned some things.

I'll give his ideas a chance, see what he has to offer...
- I know, and I agree with ya'; and I like that you put the second T (and R) in his name because so many tend to forget that ;)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

There isn't much I will ever forget about Richard Garriott ... and that's all I have to say about that :)

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 11, 2004
UO has changed to keep up with the times.
Good games need grind. If not level grind, then item grind like UO has today.
If you don't have that, all you have left is either a PvP game (works about as good as a FPSer and certainly doesn't need MMO style persistence, in fact they don't coexist well ala Darkfall and even Felluca), or a crappy PvE game with nothing to do.
In that case, call me a lover of crappy games. I have better things to do with my time than mindless grinding.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
He mentions that he is working on a new game that is an MMO that will be more like UO and less like EQ/WoW. He also wants it to be a "Lord British" game.

Take of that, what you will.
He should do the first ever MMORPG crossover, where he takes an avatar from his new game and cracks his way back into UO for a cameo ;P

C

Connor_Graham

He invented....private space flight
Uh, no, he didn't. He wasn't even the first private citizen to go into space. Christa Cauliff (sp?) on the space shuttle Challenger was. There was even at least a second person to go up into space via the Russian program, but I can't recall his name.

E

Evlar

Looking at a number of factors, including the scope of what Portalarium and its co-founders (including Richard Garriott) want to offer, I believe there's a good opportunity for RG to get the chance to work on some of the ideas he has.

The scope of what Portalarium seems to be looking to offer to gaming and applications as a whole, looks likely to be the bread winner, which will allow the creative talent of Richard and the other founders, to perhaps have the freedom to do things they've wanted to do, but perhaps been too restricted to working for other concerns.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 29, 2008
LS, ATL, PAC
Uh, no, he didn't. He wasn't even the first private citizen to go into space. Christa Cauliff (sp?) on the space shuttle Challenger was. There was even at least a second person to go up into space via the Russian program, but I can't recall his name.

Neither one of those owned a company that sends private citizens to outer space... I never said he was the first (other than being the first second gen American), but as far as I know, he's the first to make it a company that anyone can go to space now. Aka, invented private space flight.